Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Brown Sugar Live Debut
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:24

Almost two years prior to it's release as the opening track on 1971's Sticky Fingers album and it's success as a hit single, the Rolling Stones decided unleash this newly-penned number of theirs, Brown Sugar on an unsuspecting American audience on their 1969 U.S. Tour. Who in the audience would've imagined that this group would be performing this seminal track forty-four years late to tens-of-thousands of fans?

Re: The Brown Sugar Live Debut
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:29

Trivia Question: Have they ever not played this song since?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:34

Who in the audience would've imagined that this group would be performing this seminal track forty-four years late to tens-of-thousands of fans?

....Larry from Herndon Virginia?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:48

The song was also featured in the movie Gimme Shelter in 1970, so it had quite a bit more audience exposure before becoming a hit a year later.

"Anybody in? Is my local groupie in?.... Hello, darling! How are you?...."

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 25, 2013 09:22

Who in the audience would've imagined that this group would be performing this seminal track forty-four years late to tens-of-thousands of fans?[/]

Meredith Hunter?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-25 09:24 by ChrisM.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 25, 2013 11:08

tatters

China 2006 - on the kind request of Chinese censorship.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 25, 2013 12:30

stonehearted
The song was also featured in the movie Gimme Shelter in 1970, so it had quite a bit more audience exposure before becoming a hit a year later.

Ace scene that. Stanley's elbow move cracks me up. grinning smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 25, 2013 16:49

Rockman
Who in the audience would've imagined that this group would be performing this seminal track forty-four years late to tens-of-thousands of fans?

Good ole Larry..how the hell's he doing? Did he get over that West Virginia secession thing?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 25, 2013 18:14

franzk
tatters

Also not played at the "Keith Richards's Blind Angel" show on April 22, 1979.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 19:12

As far as that tour goes...LIV, LWMe, MR and to a lesser extent GS were also unleashed on an unsuspecting audience. Of those songs MR had the most surprise factor, lyric and performance-wise. You can hear the audience applaud during the slowdown. It thinks the song is closing and does not know there is more to come. A personal trivia note: I witnessed the 4th live performance of MR and it was indeed a surprise.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 25, 2013 19:27

Munichhilton
Rockman

Good ole Larry..how the hell's he doing? Did he get over that West Virginia secession thing?

Larry was with Commander William Lewis Herndon on the ill fated ship that sunk off the Carolina coast in the 1800's. Sadly, there were no survivors. Happily, Larry was able to hear the debut of Brown Sugar during the 1792 tour.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 25, 2013 21:29

latebloomer
Munichhilton
Rockman

Larry was with Commander William Lewis Herndon on the ill fated ship that sunk off the Carolina coast in the 1800's. Sadly, there were no survivors. Happily, Larry was able to hear the debut of Brown Sugar during the 1792 tour.

thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: August 25, 2013 21:34

His Majesty
stonehearted

Ace scene that. Stanley's elbow move cracks me up. grinning smiley

Haha!
And Keith's hairdo here is the best any human being has ever sported.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:06

For most of us who were fans back in those days, Brown Sugar debuted with the film Gimme Shelter. The movie was out in Dec of 1970 and Sticky Fingers came out in the Spring of 71. I bought the bootleg from Essen 1970 show on Rubber Dubber records that had Brown Sugar on it, but I think that came out after Gimme Shelter had hit the theaters. It was same with Wild Horses in that movie. First most of us had ever heard it too, which also helped make Gimme Shelter such a special movie for Stones fans. The above posted hotel room scene from the film is one of my all time faves. The boys clearly knew they had a winner with Brown Sugar well before it was officially released.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:15

Best version ever imo, Essen 1970. Thanks to KM.

Date: August 26, 2013 22:24

Very glad they kept the guitar widdling off the definitive studio version. cool smiley

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:28

franzk
tatters

I love China spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:30

svt22
Best version ever imo, Essen 1970. Thanks to KM.

very remarkable - especially the fact that the video has nothing to do with the audio and vice versa. (We heard Jagger's voice while he is far away from the mic and we don't hear him when is at the mic)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 26, 2013 23:48

In the mid-70's, when Lance Loud (who became famous in the 1973 PBS documentary series, An American Family, which might be TV's first "reality" show ) had a column in Circus magazine, he once mentioned that he went to Altamont with a tape recorder.

His garage band learned "Brown Sugar" from that tape, and started performing it at their local gigs. Until Sticky Fingers came out, they would introduce it with, "Here's a song we wrote..."

Date: August 27, 2013 00:26

Interesting trivia:
When Mick announced that they would play a brand new song at Altamont, he hesitated and mumbled a bit because -- according to Stanley Booth -- the Stones didn't really have work permits when they recorded the song at Muscle Shoals. So Mick was afraid to actually admit that they had just recorded it and finally let out that they had "just written it". If you listen to his talk at the very beginning of the bootleg in the first post above, it sure sounds like Booth's story is true.

I gotta say the actual performance is fantastic. Keith is on top of his game here, playing extremely tight rhythm guitar and throwing in leads too. He and Mick T sounded great when they both played mostly rhythm guitar. Not really "weaving" and not a lot of leads, just a great groove. That's one of the most historic four minutes in Stones history.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 00:27 by LieB.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:30

Yeah, I have to say the best live performances of sugar are from 69-71. Just my opinion but I don't think they've come close to the vibe or power of the studio cut since those performances...I don't know why...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 02:30 by scottkeef.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 27, 2013 07:31

This is folk music. The instrumentation is thin and folky compared to the over produced pap that is pop music today in recordings and on stage. Also thin compared to the Rolling Stones live these days

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 11:41

His Majesty
Very glad they kept the guitar widdling off the definitive studio version. cool smiley

Date: August 27, 2013 14:28

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 27, 2013 16:41

I really don't understand all the enthusiasm for the studio Brown Sugar. It's a very good song indeed, but it's played quite boring on the studio album. It could have been so much better in the guitar section. When you've heard it a couple of times you know it all and it never surprises you again, whereas the live versions during the Taylor era are always fresh and there's always something new to hear.

Date: August 27, 2013 16:45

kleermaker
I really don't understand all the enthusiasm for the studio Brown Sugar. It's a very good song indeed, but it's played quite boring on the studio album. It could have been so much better in the guitar section. When you've heard it a couple of times you know it all and it never surprises you again, whereas the live versions during the Taylor era are always fresh and there's always something new to hear.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: August 27, 2013 16:55

kleermaker

I think that anything from the Taylor era..studio albums and bootlegs especially (listened to the Happy Birthday Nicky 1973 cd on the way to work this morning) is great stuff. I can't fight it..I am a Taylorite and damn proud of it!! Just don't call me a groupie!smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2013 16:57

It's the groove, the timing, Kleerie! It is a climatic rhythmn section show, a hectic dance number but with still that surprisingly hypnotic "slow" kick, which makes your blood running hot and whatever... I love every little nuance in that version, everything done with a perfect taste. They never could repeat that in any of their live versions, and not either in that Clapton version. That doesn't mean they couldn't have played great, fantastic versions of it, but the original studio groove just can't be redone by live means. To compansate that they give more room to "easier" means, such as a bit more tempo, a solo guitar, etc, which have made it a bit more traditional rock and roll number.

- Doxa

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 27, 2013 17:02

I think it was posted once but may still be interesting to some here;

Recording The Rolling Stones “Brown Sugar” Sessions
Reconstructing the night that gave us a rock song for the ages

June 15, 2012, by Bruce Borgerson

[www.prosoundweb.com][

Date: August 27, 2013 17:04

Kleerie, you're entitled to express your opinion, but it is indeed time to take your meds now.

Liste to the WHOLE song: the fantastic vocals, the guitars, the groove, the sax, the riffs. The song is so good that it doesn't need a guitar solo. The spot is taken by Bobby already.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home