Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: disaster of Chuck Berry
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 25, 2013 15:42

No need at all to start a new thread

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 25, 2013 15:47

It's sad but he cant play anymore sad smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2013 15:50

Harm

No need at all to start a new thread

Maybe when BV pops in he'll drop this thread into the main one.winking smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 25, 2013 16:08

seitan
Chuck Berry gig in Finland was absolute disaster, sad to say..but at some point is time to retire, love Berry - but enough is enough. Why do they drive this guy to ground with a constant touring. Have respect. At some point is time to retire.

Chuck's son apologised for fans

I couldn't make out what Chuck's son was saying. What did he say?

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 16:16

I don't understand all this "aggressiveness" against seitan.
come on guys..

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 25, 2013 16:32

WolfgangG
Maybe you should retire from posting on here as bitter and frustrated as you are. Do you even read this forum?

If so, have a look at this thread instead of opening another one: [www.iorr.org]

And read the explanation given for the weird show. Do not judge him by the shows he has given on this tour so far.

Whoa. I am sympathetic to elderly musicians continuing to tour & playing old favorites. But I am just as sympathetic to the fans who spend hard-earned money to see a concert. CB is legendary for not performing until he has payment in full in hand. These fans are paying top dollar for a ticket to see CB and are right to expect a top dollar performance for their money.

If one went to a restaurant and paid top dollar for a meal, that person shouldn't be served slop with a shrug, "Sorry, the chef is old and/or ill." Either give a top dollar show for a top dollar ticket price or a have a discounted ticket price for a discounted performance.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: October 25, 2013 19:00

Just don´t let the same dog bite you twice, as Chuck himself says. Just don´t go again.

THe program says Chuck Berry tonight. Nothing else. It doesn´t say: he´s still in his teens, he will play his hits note by note, he´ll do the Duckwalk AND Scoot,
he´ll have Johnnie Johnson, Ebby Hardy and Willie Dixon backing him.

What the hell are you expecting from a 87- year old musician, really? At least he´s got his own band, he doesn´t fall asleep on stage drunk or stoned as some of his younger followers (Mr R & Mr W).

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 25, 2013 19:08

I think I would have enjoyed every second of seeing that performance live. God bless him!

Ross

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 25, 2013 19:28

Oh god...

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: October 25, 2013 19:39

I agree with seitan. I love Chuck and his music. I just think it´s sad that he, or somebody, puts him through touring when he can´t even play in the right key. I don´t say I expect an 87 year old to play like a youngster, but to save himself from the embarrassment he should quit now. He has quite a legacy, and I think it´s sad to ruin it.

This is exactly the thing I hope to never see our boys do. I´d love to see them live for many years, but please stop in time.

And for the record, not everybody end up like this when they get older. Willie Nelson and BB King are good examples.

Peace and love to Chuck. He will always be my main influence and inspiration in rock´n roll. (That´s why I nearly never watch youtube clips from recent tours)

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 25, 2013 19:56

I've said this before about other artists (Jerry Lee Lewis is one in particular, who is doing his legacy no favors by touring).

These reeeeally old guys like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Glen Campbell, etc., they should charge less money, and put the guy up on a small stage with an interviewer, an expert interviewer, and ask them questions, ask them the RIGHT questions. Tell stories. Give your memories and recollections of things. Set the record straight about various aspects of your career, what the true inspiration was for the songs, what was it like, tell us about being Chuck Berry and what made you write all those songs.

I am a huge Chuck Berry fan, and I don't NEED to see Chuck Berry play "Reelin' and Rockin'" out of tune and out of time and barely remembering the lyrics....what I want to know is his STORY. I want to know, was it inspired by a real woman, who was she? THere are a million questions you could ask Chuck Berry and if you could get him to give a REAL answer, it'd be FASCINATING....I could think of a million questions for Chuck....."Havana Moon," with the Latin mambo beat, what the hell was that about? What inspired the song "Too Much Monkey Business"? What did he think of the hippies and free love in the late '60s, after coming out of the 1950s?

And take questions from the audience! Then have him play a few songs at the end, and if he makes a mistake or flubbs a lick, you don't care, because you've already learned so much about him, you feel like Chuck Berry is someone you know, instead of this abstract faraway legend.

If a guy like Chuck Berry did this, did a speaking and playing tour celebrating his legacy, the standing ovations he would receive would be phenomenal. Even if he played like cr-p.

Like the Vh1 "Storytellers" show that used to run...remember that? Tell the story behind the song, then play the song, or a bit of the song, then move on to the next one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 19:58 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:11

Turning To Gold, very interesting idea!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:15

Book the tour "Turning To Gold"! I'll buy a ticket!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:17

Anything new here, or just another opportunity to pile on?

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:23

Well, I feel that all of the older musicians who are currently touring and/or enjoying a resurgence in their careers will sooner or later have to make that painful decision when to quit. Far better to go out on a positive note than to suffer an embarrassment or, even worse, collapse on stage. I hope that the Stones will go on for many more years, but time will tell. I feel badly for Chuck Berry.sad smiley

Date: October 25, 2013 20:25

If people are willing to buy tickets to see the LEGEND, then why the hell wouldnt / shouldnt he keep playing? And if he does play not such a good show then shouldnt only people who actually spent money going to the show be able to whine about it? And who here can say exactly what they have ever done very well and then stopped doing it, which makes them feel worthy to judge Chuck and/or feel worthy to tell him to stop selling tickets?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 20:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:27

I wonder what he is hearing when he plays like that? He must know he's playing like shit. The question is does he care?

He was great and sharp when I saw him back in the 90's. cool smiley

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:37

this thread is pointless and i'll tell you one thing....

Chuck Berry wouldn't do anything he didn't want to do. Nobody is "forcing him" to do anything.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 25, 2013 20:49

Max'sKansasCity
If people are willing to buy tickets to see the LEGEND, then why the hell wouldnt / shouldnt he keep playing?

Indeed.

He won't play if no one is paying and vice versa.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: October 25, 2013 21:14

WolfgangG
Maybe you should retire from posting on here as bitter and frustrated as you are. Do you even read this forum?

If so, have a look at this thread instead of opening another one: [www.iorr.org]

And read the explanation given for the weird show. Do not judge him by the shows he has given on this tour so far.

Oh dear the heinous crime of creating a post that slightly overlaps another!! It's no hanging matter, it's no capital crime.

Get a life you sad muppet. You are not the internet police.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2013 21:16

At this point in time (and for all the great music), I'm willing to let Chuck do anything he pleases - he's going to anyhow.

Saw him back in 1988 and loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 21:54 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013 and more...
Date: October 25, 2013 21:20

Redhotcarpet
Godfather of rock n roll! Dandie, you missed my post in that other thread >grinning smiley<

thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 25, 2013 21:41

I first saw Chuck in London circa 2002. I wasn't sure how he'd be, but I was pleasantly surprised. He was focused and played his instrument fairly convincingly. I decided to see him again in 2008. This time, the backing was more prominent and supportive, though Chuck was still playing reasonably well. The band was carrying him, certainly, but his guitar was in tune and the notes that rang made sense. It was a fun show. Fast-forward several years and it appears old-age and all that goes with it, has finally caught-up with the 'ol master at last. He can barely play and struggles with the words. There is only so much support the other musicians on stage can offer, without detracting from the fact that it is Chuck's show. Attendees are there to hear him play Johnny B. Good and Roll Over Beethoven and not a keyboardist or whoever else. I do believe it's time for a rethink over how the shows are advertised and presented. Someone else mentioned, I think, an interview/storytelling-type set-up. I think this is a terrific idea. Give Chuck a microphone, a chair - at his age, he should be allowed to sit, surely - and let him speak, ramble and crank-out a few notes. The backup can always fill-in if necessary. The shows should be advertised as a kind-of 'Evening with...' event and should make it clear that his appearance won't run like a regular-type show. I've been a little harsh in some of my previous comments regarding Chucks current-day ability, but I do believe that, whilst he has every goddamn right to perform if he so wishes, he himself and those who promote him, surely have an obligation to turn-in an evenings entertainment of the highest possible order. As of now, sadly, this is not happening. I'm a big fan. I just wish he and those around him take note of those fans and supporters who care about the man and his music.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 25, 2013 22:04

BlackHat
WolfgangG

Oh dear the heinous crime of creating a post that slightly overlaps another!! It's no hanging matter, it's no capital crime.

Get a life you sad muppet. You are not the internet police.

Totally agree! Someone should stop this madness. This is what to many people will remember. One of the godfathers of rock n roll making a total fool of himself. How some here can defend that is beyond my imagination. He can't sing and he can't play at all anymore, who would like to see this? Are you all tonedeaf?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 25, 2013 22:47

I think many people just want to SEE a living legend, not necessarily HEAR him, at least as he once was. And I'll bet many people don't even know the difference. I don't hear any boos on the clips I (reluctantly) watched. He's a big boy, he can do what he wants. If people pay, he'll play (or whatever that is).

Date: October 25, 2013 22:57

bleedingman
I think many people just want to SEE a living legend, not necessarily HEAR him, at least as he once was. And I'll bet many people don't even know the difference. I don't hear any boos on the clips I (reluctantly) watched. He's a big boy, he can do what he wants. If people pay, he'll play (or whatever that is).
Right on thumbs up

I can only imagine what a better world it would be if people would be more concerned about what they need to be doing themselves, with their own lives, as opposed to constantly trying to tell and advise people like Mick Jagger and Chuck Berry about what they should be doing with their lives and business plans. These men have made more money than anyone whining about them and they sure as hell dont need advice on what they should do, or should not do, from anyone outside of their long time trusted advisors, who have served them well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 23:12 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2013 15:42

Max'sKansasCity
bleedingman
Right on thumbs up

I can only imagine what a better world it would be if people would be more concerned about what they need to be doing themselves, with their own lives, as opposed to constantly trying to tell and advise people like Mick Jagger and Chuck Berry about what they should be doing with their lives and business plans. These men have made more money than anyone whining about them and they sure as hell dont need advice on what they should do, or should not do, from anyone outside of their long time trusted advisors, who have served them well.

What are you talking about? The man can't sing and he can't play at all, and you think that i and a few others here tell and advise? That's not the point, point is he is making a fool of himself (maybe you have trouble hearing he can't play a simple chord?). It's just horrible and really sad with promotors chasing money over this. A 87 year old legend who can't sing and play anymore. There are five year olds playing better than this and you find it to be som kind of right for him? Someone should stop this before it gets worse than it already is.

Date: October 26, 2013 17:24

JumpinJeppeFlash
Max'sKansasCity
bleedingman
Right on thumbs up

What are you talking about? The man can't sing and he can't play at all, and you think that i and a few others here tell and advise? That's not the point, point is he is making a fool of himself (maybe you have trouble hearing he can't play a simple chord?). It's just horrible and really sad with promotors chasing money over this. A 87 year old legend who can't sing and play anymore. There are five year olds playing better than this and you find it to be som kind of right for him? Someone should stop this before it gets worse than it already is.

Have you spent any money paying to see Chuck Berry play live recently? If not, then what does this have to do with you? Why are you trying to be in charge of Chuck Berry and his legacy?

As long as enough people want to buy tickets to see him and as long as Chuck wants to play (no matter the quality) what business is it of yours, or anyones elses, to try to to tell Chuck Berry and his fans what they should do?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-26 17:28 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 26, 2013 17:48

This is a great clip...

"We're gonna do some Chuck Berry songs"...

Date: October 26, 2013 17:56

Chuck being Chuck before most of his current detractors were born...

I would be willing to bet even back then people
were trying to blah blah advise Chuck on what is what...
"OH NO Chuck... you can't be be coming on at the last minute
like that... it will hurt your reputation, you'll never make it...

uh... yeah... LOL!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home