Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013 and more...
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 5, 2013 11:23

CBII
My father still likes what he does.

thumbs up

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 5, 2013 11:26

Too bad I couldn't catch your show in Oslo, CBII.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 5, 2013 14:29

CBII
Rolling Hansie
CBII
Like the old nursery rhyme goes "Sticks and Stones..."

I'm glad you take it that way. The only important thing is that your dad still likes what he is doing. Blessings to him and his family.

You just said it all! My father still likes what he does. Makes one wonder how many people that have had the same job for 61 years still likes / loves their job?

I wonder how many people can do a job for 61 years ? - I can't think of anyone. And why should they keep doing it ? If you like it - fine, but if you can't do it anymore, why can't you let it go ? There's so many other great things in life too. In finding yourself doing new things makes your life richer. Past is something worth celebrating, but trying to re-live it over and over is only sad. We should all move on.

- Having a same job for 61 years sounds like a fear of change to me, fear of finding new things in life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 15:27 by seitan.

Date: November 5, 2013 14:31

Rock'n'roll is a way of life, not merely a job...

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 5, 2013 15:46

seitan
CBII
Rolling Hansie
CBII

I'm glad you take it that way. The only important thing is that your dad still likes what he is doing. Blessings to him and his family.

You just said it all! My father still likes what he does. Makes one wonder how many people that have had the same job for 61 years still likes / loves their job?

I wonder how many people can do a job for 61 years - I can't think of anyone. And why should they do it ? If you can't do it anymore,why cant you let it go ? There's so many other great things in life too,

- Having a same job for 61 years sounds like a fear of change, fear of finding new things in life.

Seitan, think about what you just said. At 87 years old my dad has been a world traveler and been to every continent with the exception of Africa and Antarctica. Met most of the leaders of the free world, worked in factories, worked with his dad selling fruit as a child off the back of a horse drawn cart, alive to see two states be added to the union of the United States, worked in construction and carpentry, has been married for 65 years with 4 children, 14 grandchildren and I've lost count on the great grandchildren.

He's outlived his parents, siblings, cousins, nearly all the friends he grew up with. Witnessed some of them retiring from what they loved doing because someone else thought it was time. Others get sick and fade away from the lack of doing what they enjoyed doing because someone imposed an artificial limit on them.

So let me ask you, exactly what other things in life are there for someone of his age to do with the exception of death? He like most people that are still in pretty good physical health are in no rush to start that particular adventure.

On the issue of letting go. You are speculating as to what someone thinks about their abilities. You are not looking at it from someone ON STAGE looking out rather, someone looking at the stage. Applause and adoration are both very powerful drugs to some and that can be their gauge of acceptance.

Think about what you said Seitan and then think about your parents. Should they not be allowed to continue to do what they enjoy if that's what THEY want to do? Who are we as their children to try and dictate what they do, to that end what child can? Who are we to deny someone what they enjoy doing if it's causing no harm to anyone?

Like I said in a previous post, market demand will dictate when a product is no longer desirable. That's the free market at work.

CBII

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 5, 2013 16:11

Don't put too much stock in what people say on here CBII. Sometimes I wonder if they put any thought into their comments or if they're trying to start trouble. It's too bad because it should be a place for us Rock and Roll fans to share our passion. Furthermore, best wishes to your father and yourself, don't stop, just like The Stones song says! By the way I'm the American guy you bumped into in Luxembourg on your last concert there. Hope I didn't cause any trouble because my friend and myself were trying to get autographs. As you said it was up to your dad and I think he wasn't in the mood. That's cool, my friend and I were satisfied enough in the end because there was an awesome guitar/harp solo between Father and Daughter during "Let It Rock". I'm always floored by that memory. Rock on!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:31

CBII
seitan
CBII
Rolling Hansie
CBII

I wonder how many people can do a job for 61 years - I can't think of anyone. And why should they do it ? If you can't do it anymore,why cant you let it go ? There's so many other great things in life too,

- Having a same job for 61 years sounds like a fear of change, fear of finding new things in life.

Seitan, think about what you just said. At 87 years old my dad has been a world traveler and been to every continent with the exception of Africa and Antarctica. Met most of the leaders of the free world, worked in factories, worked with his dad selling fruit as a child off the back of a horse drawn cart, alive to see two states be added to the union of the United States, worked in construction and carpentry, has been married for 65 years with 4 children, 14 grandchildren and I've lost count on the great grandchildren.

He's outlived his parents, siblings, cousins, nearly all the friends he grew up with. Witnessed some of them retiring from what they loved doing because someone else thought it was time. Others get sick and fade away from the lack of doing what they enjoyed doing because someone imposed an artificial limit on them.

So let me ask you, exactly what other things in life are there for someone of his age to do with the exception of death? He like most people that are still in pretty good physical health are in no rush to start that particular adventure.

On the issue of letting go. You are speculating as to what someone thinks about their abilities. You are not looking at it from someone ON STAGE looking out rather, someone looking at the stage. Applause and adoration are both very powerful drugs to some and that can be their gauge of acceptance.

Think about what you said Seitan and then think about your parents. Should they not be allowed to continue to do what they enjoy if that's what THEY want to do? Who are we as their children to try and dictate what they do, to that end what child can? Who are we to deny someone what they enjoy doing if it's causing no harm to anyone?

Like I said in a previous post, market demand will dictate when a product is no longer desirable. That's the free market at work.
god bless your dad ! , as long as he is happy and healthy . he should live life to the fullest . that's all we can hope for !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 5, 2013 17:35

frankotero
Don't put too much stock in what people say on here CBII. Sometimes I wonder if they put any thought into their comments or if they're trying to start trouble. It's too bad because it should be a place for us Rock and Roll fans to share our passion. Furthermore, best wishes to your father and yourself, don't stop, just like The Stones song says! By the way I'm the American guy you bumped into in Luxembourg on your last concert there. Hope I didn't cause any trouble because my friend and myself were trying to get autographs. As you said it was up to your dad and I think he wasn't in the mood. That's cool, my friend and I were satisfied enough in the end because there was an awesome guitar/harp solo between Father and Daughter during "Let It Rock". I'm always floored by that memory. Rock on!

I just take things for the most part as people trying to be conversational. I can't say that I remember our meeting so please don't hold that against me since we encounter a very good number of people traveling. You did quote me pretty much to the tee since I always tell people it's up to my dad as to whether he would sign autographs.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the venue off the top of my head but I do remember it just having rows of floor seating with a nice sized stage, kinda like a convention center. I distinctly remember staying at a killer hotel (La' Royal) quite well and the surrounding grounds that included a park. We drove from their to either France or Switzerland the next day.

CBII

Chuck Berry is AWESOME
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:37

His Majesty
Max'sKansasCity
If people are willing to buy tickets to see the LEGEND, then why the hell wouldnt / shouldnt he keep playing?

Indeed.

I am not sure why anything else needs to be said,
other than offering admiration and accoaldes to a man how has given us so much, for so long, and is still rolling which I think that is awesome and should be a goal for all us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 17:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: Chuck Berry is AWESOME
Date: November 5, 2013 18:49

Max'sKansasCity
His Majesty
Max'sKansasCity
If people are willing to buy tickets to see the LEGEND, then why the hell wouldnt / shouldnt he keep playing?

Indeed.

other than offering admiration and accoaldes to a man how has given us so much,
for so long, and is still rolling which I think that is awesome and should be a goal for all us.

No - the goal should be open conversation. I dont like pluralistic ignorance.

"The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome" strikes again - consider the feeling of some non-believers like myself - among a presumably believing population of you guys: the Chuck Berry is always right fans here. No - I dont think everything he does is great. Nope. Until one publicly voices the opinion of the small minority of people like me - who thinks that this latest tour sucked, - people's true opinions will not be known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 18:53 by seitan.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 5, 2013 19:36

CBII
I cannot remember the name of the venue off the top of my head

It's the infamous Rockhal. I call it the sweatbox, ha-ha. It's located in a picturesque old factory part of town. They're turning it into a shopping district. Will be great once it's finished. One more thing to mention is the street name in front of the venue is called Rock and Roll Ave. or something like that. Don't know about the hotel you mentioned, but there is an Ibis directly across from the Rockhal. And your concert was unusual as there were chairs. The only time I've seen that in about 10 concerts I've seen there. Cheers.

Date: November 5, 2013 21:46

frankotero
CBII
I cannot remember the name of the venue off the top of my head

It's the infamous Rockhal. I call it the sweatbox, ha-ha. It's located in a picturesque old factory part of town. They're turning it into a shopping district. Will be great once it's finished. One more thing to mention is the street name in front of the venue is called Rock and Roll Ave. or something like that. Don't know about the hotel you mentioned, but there is an Ibis directly across from the Rockhal. And your concert was unusual as there were chairs. The only time I've seen that in about 10 concerts I've seen there. Cheers.

Yeah, as I remember the acoustics were not exactly what I'd call ideal. It's was a big boomy box of a venue without any sound management.

To this day, one of the wildest places I've ever performed (as a sideman for my dad) was the Gasometer in Wien Austria. The place was described to me as a former gas storage tank facility that was converted into a concert venue (among other things). I figured somebody was pulling my leg until I read the history of the complex.

Here's a link to the LaRoyal in Luxemborg
LaRoyal Luxemborg

CBII

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 5, 2013 21:58

Chuck is a Rock Music legend and although never seen him play live,I love the videos and one of my faves is TAMI show in 1964.
Chuck Jnr. you sure gotta Dad to be proud of.Long may he keep Rock 'n Roll going. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 5, 2013 22:13

Max'sKansasCity
His Majesty
Max'sKansasCity

Indeed.

other than offering admiration and accoaldes to a man how has given us so much, for so long, and is still rolling which I think that is awesome and should be a goal for all us.

That is a very generous attitude. It will be interesting to hear your opinion when/if the Stones sometime in the future goes up on the stage and not deliver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 22:18 by Svartmer.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 5, 2013 22:20

seitan

"The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome" strikes again - consider the feeling of some non-believers like myself - among a presumably believing population of you guys: the Chuck Berry is always right fans here. No - I dont think everything he does is great. Nope. Until one publicly voices the opinion of the small minority of people like me - who thinks that this latest tour sucked, - people's true opinions will not be known.

I'm no believer, or a belieber for that matter hehe, but Chuck continuing till the very end seems to be a very Chuck thing to do.

Remember, part of the spirit behind this music is to do what the @#$%& you want, to triumph in the face of adversity etc etc.

It may not be a musical triumph, but it's a somewhat sweet human one because Chuck is till here and he's out touring with some of his family.

See it more as a great grandad being asked to play a few tunes on his guitar for some friends and family. No one is under the illusion that he's at his peak of fitness and performance, but those who care see it for what it is... a celebration of the man, the story and the music he created.

At this stage it's something that requires support and understanding from the audiences.

There's no musical point needing to be proven here, there's no legacy being ruined, it's just a celebration and people sharing time together.

Playing to people is what Chuck does, it's part of who he is.

smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 22:24 by His Majesty.

Date: November 5, 2013 22:23

thumbs up well said!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 5, 2013 22:23

Some people do not seem too think that, if lucky, they will grow old. If they reach it, they will hate people telling them what to do, what to like, what to eat... That is, idiot things they say today. Keep on rolling, king chuck berry!

Date: November 5, 2013 22:28

DandelionPowderman
thumbs up well said!

Thanks, now I should apply this thinking towards Taylor and the stones. grinning smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 5, 2013 23:34

I have the greatest respect for CB and for all that he represented in the history of music...but personally i would never want to see Keith in those conditions on stage.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 5, 2013 23:56

Great post "His Majesty". Kudos for puting into words what I think many have been attempting to express themselves - including me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 6, 2013 00:19

CBII
...think about your parents. Should they not be allowed to continue to do what they enjoy if that's what THEY want to do?...

I haven't watched the clips so I make no comment on Chuck's performance, but if he had been a surgeon for 60 years would he be allowed to carry on if his hand shook? Still enjoying what you do doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Date: November 6, 2013 01:08

Braincapers
... if he had been a surgeon for 60 years would he be allowed to carry on if his hand shook? Still enjoying what you do doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Obviously something like that requires someone to step down from that job. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: November 6, 2013 01:13

CBII
seitan
CBII
Rolling Hansie
CBII

In this life, it's not about what we want, it's about what's the right thing to do. When you say that market demand will dictate when a product is no longer desirable - that's rubbish. I'm sure crack dealers would believe that, my friend, but when it comes to morality and common sense - it's rubbish.

Should my parents not be allowed to continue to do what they enjoy if that's what THEY want to do? - No !! If my parents would want to steal and cheat money - I would be the first person to call the cops on them and have them busted. In the immortal words of Mick Jagger: You cant always get what you want.

I have a problem with the idea of selling concerts when the star of the evening can no longer sing or play the damn guitar. It's just wrong, and you're being selfish and spoiled, and greedy - stealing people's hard earned money. And anyone who bought the ticket should get their money back. Life isn't always fair - but being an adult, you gotta carry the burden of realizing that life can never be a happy picnic forever.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 6, 2013 01:20

His Majesty
seitan

I'm no believer, or a belieber for that matter hehe, but Chuck continuing till the very end seems to be a very Chuck thing to do.

Remember, part of the spirit behind this music is to do what the @#$%& you want, to triumph in the face of adversity etc etc.

It may not be a musical triumph, but it's a somewhat sweet human one because Chuck is till here and he's out touring with some of his family.

See it more as a great grandad being asked to play a few tunes on his guitar for some friends and family. No one is under the illusion that he's at his peak of fitness and performance, but those who care see it for what it is... a celebration of the man, the story and the music he created.

At this stage it's something that requires support and understanding from the audiences.

There's no musical point needing to be proven here, there's no legacy being ruined, it's just a celebration and people sharing time together.

Playing to people is what Chuck does, it's part of who he is.

smiling smiley

The sentence in bold is exactly the way I feel about 50 AND COUNTING tour...

What goes for the rest - and Chuck Berry - I share your sentiments. It is just the part of altruism needed for "At this stage it's something that requires support and understanding from the audiences" does not quite go with the idea of needing to pay a certain amount of money to do that. But that's just my decision, and many others at their own will make different decisions. Like CBII pointed out it is the free market at the work. Nor I am not in a decision to say for someone else to purchase a ticket or not, and surely even less to say if mr. Berry should perform or not. Let us all to make our own decisions.

The problem in this thread had been that of the people in extremist positions trying to dictate the decisions of someone else's. Some are claiming that Chuck Berry should not perform because, according to their judgment, he is not in a suitable condition to do that. Well, that's Berry's decision and no one else's. Then there are people who does not seem to understand why anyone being a fan of Berry's is not attenting to his concerts if that is possible in any given conditions. These people don't seem to accept these consumers to use their own will in making these kind of decisions, if the show is worth attending or not.

I respect CBII for taking part to the discussion, since he literally is between a rock (Berry) and a hard place (IORR) here. There are some strong opinions thrown here, which might concern him rather personally, but like he has pointed out, it is the question of free expression of opinions and being conversational, and that's the way it is in boards like these.

But all the best for you CBII and to your dad! I guess it is safe to say that we all here at IORR are fans of your father.

- Doxa

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 6, 2013 01:28

CBII, of your dad's songs, what is your top 3? If you don't mind.

Date: November 6, 2013 01:31

Doxa
It is just the part of altruism needed for "At this stage it's something that requires support and understanding from the audiences" does not quite go with the idea of needing to pay a certain amount of money to do that.

Tours cost money, people need to be paid for their work etc etc. grinning smiley

Date: November 6, 2013 01:57

MingSubu
CBII, of your dad's songs, what is your top 3? If you don't mind.

They change from day to day. What's spinning in my head right now (In no particular order).

Chuck's Beat
Woodpecker
Liverpool Drive

CBII

Date: November 6, 2013 01:59

seitan
CBII
seitan
CBII
Rolling Hansie
CBII

In this life, it's not about what we want, it's about what's the right thing to do. When you say that market demand will dictate when a product is no longer desirable - that's rubbish. I'm sure crack dealers would believe that, my friend, but when it comes to morality and common sense - it's rubbish.

Should my parents not be allowed to continue to do what they enjoy if that's what THEY want to do? - No !! If my parents would want to steal and cheat money - I would be the first person to call the cops on them and have them busted. In the immortal words of Mick Jagger: You cant always get what you want.

I have a problem with the idea of selling concerts when the star of the evening can no longer sing or play the damn guitar. It's just wrong, and you're being selfish and spoiled, and greedy - stealing people's hard earned money. And anyone who bought the ticket should get their money back. Life isn't always fair - but being an adult, you gotta carry the burden of realizing that life can never be a happy picnic forever.

So I guess it's safe to say we won't be seeing you at Blueberry Hill here in Saint Louis anytime soon?

CBII

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 6, 2013 02:04

Blueberry Hill ... that reminds me

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: November 7, 2013 19:43

Interview with forum member CBII

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home