Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Chuck Berry 87 TODAY Happy Birthday!!
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 20, 2013 13:00

Yes, happy birthday to the king of rock and roll!

Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013 + Birthday Greetings
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 20, 2013 15:57

Oh come on, bv, if anyone deserves his own personal Happy Birthday thread it's Chuck Berry! Happy birthday+1 (or is it +2 by now?) and thanks for giving the world the rockin' pneumonia and the rollin' artharitis...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:54

MANY thanks Green Lady.

This video of "Roll Over Beethoven" is a true masterpiece!

Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2013
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:52

WolfgangG
More rumoured shows: Paris (France)

Few weeks ago, I've been approached by a producer to promote the Paris show next April. The only time I saw him was at the Olympia back in 2008. It was kind of a joke onstage. I was quite happy to see him anyway but Chuck Berry in 2014 ???? Don't know what to say really. I think I won't refuse to work and I'd be glad to check his hands (if I'm allowed to come backstage !!!).

I need to check some comments regarding his October european shows...

YM

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 21, 2013 12:44

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, then.

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: October 21, 2013 14:07

Ok, I watched the entire show. Not sure what to say.

The reception by the audience was certainly very warm. To be honest, he should probably have been kicked off the stage for playing like that. I do not know whether to be angry or sad. Is that all he can do? Does he even remember his own name? If that is the best he can do it is time to stop NOW!!! It does not only ruin his reputation, but also Patrick's, who is a great, sweet and understanding person.

I think I will close the Chuck Berry door forever this week. It is sad and I think my emotions are similiar to the Moscow audience and to Chuck's. We do not want to let him go. He does not want to leave us either. Watching his show is like holding the hand of a dying person and watching the person you have loved fading away. But you have no choice. The door will be closed forever. I am sorry to say. Chuck Berry was an important part of my life. Chuck Berry was my life!!!

sad smiley sad smiley sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 14:09 by WolfgangG.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 21, 2013 14:16

My god WolfgangG. That sounds like an aweful taste of reality. I too am sad that he's no longer the man we knew. But we got to tip our hats to him as he did it for so long. There are 20 year olds that probably can't keep up with him even today. I wouldn't be surprised. Anyhow, I hope you're not totally giving up on him. At least you have some great memories I'm sure.

Date: October 21, 2013 14:26

WolfgangG
Ok, I watched the entire show. Not sure what to say.

The reception by the audience was certainly very warm. To be honest, he should probably have been kicked off the stage for playing like that. I do not know whether to be angry or sad. Is that all he can do? Does he even remember his own name? If that is the best he can do it is time to stop NOW!!! It does not only ruin his reputation, but also Patrick's, who is a great, sweet and understanding person.

I think I will close the Chuck Berry door forever this week. It is sad and I think my emotions are similiar to the Moscow audience and to Chuck's. We do not want to let him go. He does not want to leave us either. Watching his show is like holding the hand of a dying person and watching the person you have loved fading away. But you have no choice. The door will be closed forever. I am sorry to say. Chuck Berry was an important part of my life. Chuck Berry was my life!!!

sad smiley sad smiley sad smiley

I thought you were one who was promoting him?? confused smiley

Is it the Moscow-show you're referring to, and was it that bad? Apparently it was...

Date: October 21, 2013 14:35

I am supporting him, not promoting. Patrick Rocher is promoting the shows.

Yes, I am referring to the Moscow show that took place yesterday. If you are strong enough you can watch it here:

Don't tell me I did not warn you!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 21, 2013 14:43

Turn down his amp, add an extra guitarist and maybe some "pre-recorded" help and the problem is solved.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 21, 2013 16:31

Stoneage
Turn down his amp, add an extra guitarist and maybe some "pre-recorded" help and the problem is solved.

...or plug in Blondie Chaplin underneath the stage...

Date: October 21, 2013 16:37

Stoneage

CBII IS the extra guitarist smiling smiley

Date: October 21, 2013 16:47

Moscow Set List (73 minutes)

Roll Over Beethoven (x1)
Memphis
Nadine
Everyday I Have The Blues (x1)
One Of These Days
Maybellene
Roll Over Beethoven (x2)
Let It Rock (x1)
Roll Over Beethoven (x3)
School Days
Promised Land (x1)
Let It Rock (x2)
My Ding A Ling
Carol
Everyday I Have The Blues (x2)
Reelin' And Rockin' (x1)
Let It Rock (x3)
Reelin' And Rockin' (x2)
Promised Land (x2)
Johnny B. Goode

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 16:50 by WolfgangG.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:03

Stoneage

That'd be utterly ridiculous. You'd may as well place a cardboard cut-out on the stage.

I do not understand why some are so eager for him to continue, whilst it's plainly obvious that he's struggling with a lack of dexterity, worn-away faculties and general old-age. I'm a fan, but I think she should stop, personally.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:09

WolfgangG

Yes, I am referring to the Moscow show that took place yesterday. If you are strong enough you can watch it here:

Unwatchable thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 17:11 by Big Al.

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:17

I hope The Stones won't end up like this...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:43

No chance.

If Mick were more like Keith there'd be a worry but Mick's always able to take a cold look at things and he wouldn't let it happen.

Keith appears often to look at things through his own "sunlight filters" and sometimes sees what he wants to see.
Mick on the other hand, sees the reality.

That's not a criticism of either ...just the different people they are.

[Yeah, there's a bit of the Peter Pan syndrome in Mick...but not to the point of clouding his judgement ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 17:45 by Spud.

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: October 21, 2013 22:55

Hmmm...call me crazy, but I do like his tone here, still better than most acts I've seen lately.

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 06:58

WolfgangG

Wow...still processing this...

He's light years worse than when I last saw him in 2010 at the Duck Room in St. Louis. But first, let me try to see the positives in this:

1. What a fantastic, supportive audience. All the way to the end. You get the sense they are really rooting for him.

2. Yes, Chuck's guitar tone here is nice. If only the notes, tempo, and everything else were even close to being right. And you know what? What the heck, props to him for having it up so loud in the mix. There's no piano plink here carrying the weight. It's just warts and all, with no safety nets. Which is what I've wanted from the Stones since they quit being a guitar band. This is taking my preferences to the ultimate extreme. And giving me pause...

He seems to have a hard time even speaking here. Old age will do that, for sure, but this almost seems like there's an extreme fatigue factor or even minor stroke history entering into the equation. But that could be reading way more into it and I guess I should be careful with idle speculation like that. At any rate, this is sort of painful to watch. On the one hand, it's atrocious. On the other hand I'm giving him a bit of a pass for just *doing* it so completely on his own and staying in the arena. This in no way diminishes the complete and utter respect I have this man, and even watching his trainwrecks are interesting because you can only wreck this completely by trying to actually play it yourself! It's not fake, it's all real. The safety nets would sanitize this and clean it up so that it's not a total shambles like this...but I'm not so sure that I'd really like that any better. If that makes sense. As I said, I'm still processing this.

I only hope he derives some enjoyment from playing.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:18

this ain´t sad, this is just crazy... why does soembody promote this, why is there a band, who made this experience not for the first time playing again and again and again?
seems that he likes roll over beethoven...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:42

Money's too good to pass I suppose ?

Didn't watch the whole thing but it actually seems a bit "better" than the Moscow show from March, the one where the promoter explained Chuck would stop playing unless he agreed to pick up his passport renewal costs...

Still kinda glad the Paris show goot cancelled in March...would have been hard to watch that from the first row...

Anyway, happy birthday Chuck and thanks for starting it all!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:48

gotdablouse

Didn't watch the whole thing but it actually seems a bit "better" than the Moscow show from March, the one where the promoter explained Chuck would stop playing unless he agreed to pick up his passport renewal costs...

Still kinda glad the Paris show goot cancelled in March...would have been hard to watch that from the first row...

I had first row tickets for this show as well...

Date: October 22, 2013 12:20

bluesinc.
this ain´t sad, this is just crazy... why does soembody promote this, why is there a band, who made this experience not for the first time playing again and again and again?
seems that he likes roll over beethoven...

Gotta hear it again today!

Date: October 22, 2013 12:21

Harm
gotdablouse

I had first row tickets for this show as well...

Me, too.

Date: October 22, 2013 12:22

Chuck Berry in St. Petersburg

School Days

Sweet Little Sixteen (Fans)

Wee Wee Hours (Bob Lohr) & Everyday I Have The Blues #1

Wee Wee Hours

Everyday I Have The Blues #2

Rock At The Philharmonic

Let It Rock

Johnny B. Goode (Fan)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:33

WolfgangG
you can watch it here:
/video]

Thank you for posting/sharing the Chuck videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 12:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 23, 2013 03:26

Finally saw him in person in Steinegg tonight. What can I say?

And listened to the songs his band members were singin'
Then I headed down the street
And somewhere far away a lonely guitar was ringin'
And it echoed through the canyon
Like the disappearing dreams of yesterday

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 23, 2013 04:13

rocker1
WolfgangG

He's light years worse than when I last saw him in 2010 at the Duck Room in St. Louis. But first, let me try to see the positives in this:

1. What a fantastic, supportive audience. All the way to the end. You get the sense they are really rooting for him.

2. Yes, Chuck's guitar tone here is nice. If only the notes, tempo, and everything else were even close to being right. And you know what? What the heck, props to him for having it up so loud in the mix. There's no piano plink here carrying the weight. It's just warts and all, with no safety nets. Which is what I've wanted from the Stones since they quit being a guitar band. This is taking my preferences to the ultimate extreme. And giving me pause...

He seems to have a hard time even speaking here. Old age will do that, for sure, but this almost seems like there's an extreme fatigue factor or even minor stroke history entering into the equation. But that could be reading way more into it and I guess I should be careful with idle speculation like that. At any rate, this is sort of painful to watch. On the one hand, it's atrocious. On the other hand I'm giving him a bit of a pass for just *doing* it so completely on his own and staying in the arena. This in no way diminishes the complete and utter respect I have this man, and even watching his trainwrecks are interesting because you can only wreck this completely by trying to actually play it yourself! It's not fake, it's all real. The safety nets would sanitize this and clean it up so that it's not a total shambles like this...but I'm not so sure that I'd really like that any better. If that makes sense. As I said, I'm still processing this.

Honestly I think you are cutting him a TON of slack. He just can't play anymore. Every once in a while he nails something that sounds like note and structure, the rest is not just off in terms of timing or lacking in skill, it is just plain terrible... not just the 'wrong' note, it is not a note at all.

I chalk that up to two things...

1. Chuck Berry was never a great player. His style was unique, and still is, but he was far better with his right than his left. He is a simple player who relies on rhythm to get by. I love that about him. Keith is the same way, which is why it is so tough for him to hunker down and maintain instead of showing off.

2. Chuck is, infact, too old to rocknroll. It is embarrassing. This is what I have never gone to see him, but I regret not seeing him back in the early 90s.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: October 23, 2013 05:43

flacnvinyl
rocker1
WolfgangG

Honestly I think you are cutting him a TON of slack. He just can't play anymore. Every once in a while he nails something that sounds like note and structure, the rest is not just off in terms of timing or lacking in skill, it is just plain terrible... not just the 'wrong' note, it is not a note at all.

I chalk that up to two things...

1. Chuck Berry was never a great player. His style was unique, and still is, but he was far better with his right than his left. He is a simple player who relies on rhythm to get by. I love that about him. Keith is the same way, which is why it is so tough for him to hunker down and maintain instead of showing off.

2. Chuck is, infact, too old to rocknroll. It is embarrassing. This is what I have never gone to see him, but I regret not seeing him back in the early 90s.

Yeah, I admit that I was looking everywhere for any reason at all to cut him some slack. I really don't think I cut him very much, but what I did allow was generous. I'm still processing my own weirdness here, in that to witness somebody failing so utterly and completely, on every level, is a marvel not to be admired, but fascinated by. Train wrecks in music are not uncommon (the Stones have had a few!).

But this...this is like a train full of hydrogen bombs going off. It's a trainwreck to the power of 100. Although, can you wreck something that was never on track to begin with? There's a philosophical dimension to this level of awfulness that I find compelling. I guess I give props to Chuck for simply having no shame and letting us see how low it is possible to go. That sounds meaner than I want it to, or than I want to be. I am still struggling to somehow find a way that this performance can somehow be instructive, and even valuable, if not entertaining. Not sure I'll get there...

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2013 10:18

WolfgangG
Chuck Berry in St. Petersburg

School Days

Sweet Little Sixteen (Fans)

Wee Wee Hours (Bob Lohr) & Everyday I Have The Blues #1

Wee Wee Hours

Everyday I Have The Blues #2

Rock At The Philharmonic

Let It Rock

Johnny B. Goode (Fan)

My god. Who the hell would be interested in seeing this? It's really sad, he simply can not play anymore. Why some people here try to defend his playing these days, are you all tonedeaf??? As much as i love Chuck this is nothing but pathetic and really really sad.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home