Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Altamont Setlists - all bands - this can't be complete, can it?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 24, 2013 08:38

hi - Ihad never seen setlists of all of the bands at Altamont--yesterday came upon this.

Does anyone know whether this this represents...?

(1) the actual setlists of all bands at Altamont

OR

(2) only those songs that happened to be recorded/included on this bootleg

Hella short set lists for most of the bands, if complete!

source

The Rolling Stones (with Opening Acts) - It's Just A Shot Away
DOG n CAT Records [DAC 099] 2CD
1969-12-06: Altamont Speedway, Livermore, CA

CD 1:
1. Opening Announcements By Sam Cutler

Santana
2. Savor - Jingo

Jefferson Airplane
3. The Other Side Of This Life
4 .3/5th Of A Mile In 10 Seconds
5 . Greasy Heart
6. White Rabbit
7. Come Back Baby
8. Ballad Of You And Me And Pooneil

Flying Burrito Brothers
9. Six Days On The Road
10. High Fashion Queen
11. Cody Cody
12. Lazy Days

Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young
13. Black Queen
14. Pre-Road Downs
15. Long Time Gone
16. Down By The River

The Rolling Stones
17. intro [01:39]
18. Jumping Jack Flash [04:18]
19. Carol [03:49]

CD 2:
1. Sympathy For The Devil [03:25]
2. Sympathy For The Devil [10:28]
3. The Sun Is Shining [04:07]
4. Stray Cat Blues [03:48]
5. Love In Vain [05:42]
6. Under My Thumb [03:17]
7. Under My Thumb [04:43]
8. Brown Sugar [03:26]
9. Midnight Rambler [10:45]
10. Live With Me [03:25]
11. Gimme Shelter [04:48]
12. Little Queenie [04:16]
13. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [07:27]
14. Honky Tonk Women [04:00]
15. Street Fighting Man [04:12]

-------------------

thanks
swiss

Re: Altamont Setlists - all bands - this can't be complete, can it?
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:28

I've actually done some past research about the JA festivals performance recordings and footage and recall a 9-12 songs setlist. Now looking online I find the following:

We Can Be Together
The Other Side of This Life
Somebody to Love
3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds
Greasy Heart
White Rabbit
Come Back Baby
The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil
Volunteers

Hope it helps.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:31

The Santana set list is incomplete. I started a thread on this topic a couple of weeks back, actually it was about the letter The Stones wrote and signed and sent to Carlos Santana asking permission to use one of his Altamont performances in the movie Love In Vain (later retitled as Gimme Shelter).

[www.iorr.org]

During the course of my research, sources mention that he played a total of 4 songs and that his set was cut short due to disruptions in the vicinity of the stage. I checked for his set list at setlist.com, which lists only 1 song, Jingo, noting that the set list is incomplete, and the track that The Stones wanted to use was different from this title, so we know for sure that he played more than 1 song.

I don't know about the other bands, all of whom were subjected to interruptions of some kind as a result of fights and scuffles near the stage and such, but The Stones set looks fairly complete, as that was the set during which most of the "action" of interest was taking place.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:34

There are other bootlegs out there, including a four disc set with more than one song by Santana. That's a giveaway right there that those aren't complete set lists.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:58

On the 4-disc boot there are three Santana songs-Savior, Jingo and Evil Ways. Still not sure if that's their full set, though.

Date: July 24, 2013 18:40

stonehearted
The Santana set list is incomplete. I started a thread on this topic a couple of weeks back, actually it was about the letter The Stones wrote and signed and sent to Carlos Santana asking permission to use one of his Altamont performances in the movie Love In Vain (later retitled as Gimme Shelter).

[www.iorr.org]

During the course of my research, sources mention that he played a total of 4 songs and that his set was cut short due to disruptions in the vicinity of the stage. I checked for his set list at setlist.com, which lists only 1 song, Jingo, noting that the set list is incomplete, and the track that The Stones wanted to use was different from this title, so we know for sure that he played more than 1 song.

I don't know about the other bands, all of whom were subjected to interruptions of some kind as a result of fights and scuffles near the stage and such, but The Stones set looks fairly complete, as that was the set during which most of the "action" of interest was taking place.

wow, stonehearted - very cool! What were you doing your research for? Also, were your sources (re # of songs played) people or written materials?

thanks
swiss

Date: July 24, 2013 18:42

Wroclaw
I've actually done some past research about the JA festivals performance recordings and footage and recall a 9-12 songs setlist. Now looking online I find the following:

We Can Be Together
Somebody to Love
Greasy Heart
White Rabbit
Come Back Baby
Volunteers

Hope it helps.

Extremely helpful, Wroclaw - thank you!
-swiss

Date: July 24, 2013 18:44

marianna
There are other bootlegs out there, including a four disc set with more than one song by Santana. That's a giveaway right there that those aren't complete set lists.

andrewm
On the 4-disc boot there are three Santana songs-Savior, Jingo and Evil Ways. Still not sure if that's their full set, though.

Thanks, marianna and andrewm. I know nothing about the land of bootlegs -- any idea where to find the track listings of this 4-disc boot you're mentioning?

thanks again - very helpful!
- swiss

Date: July 24, 2013 21:56

swiss
wow, stonehearted - very cool! What were you doing your research for? Also, were your sources (re # of songs played) people or written materials?

thanks
swiss

I think it was a post a couple of weeks ago on IORR that got me to look into Altamont supporting acts more closely. There was a question about Santana being the opening act at Altamont, or something like that, so some random Googling led me to the article in the Las Vegas Sun from May of this year about the 1970 letter to Carlos Santana sent to him by The Stones, which has just recently been rediscovered and is currently on display in The Stones section at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland until early next year.

By research, I mean just looking things up online to flesh out the thread I started on the letter that The Stones sent to Carlos Santana.

One of these online sources was a page for the San Francisco Art Exchange, which features a Robert Altman photo as well as a short blurb regarding the conditions of Santana's 4-song set.

SFAE page at: [www.sfae.com]

Speaking of Robert Altman, he has quite a few fascinating photos from that event.

Robert Altman Altamont photos: [www.altmanphoto.com]

Previously unseen Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young footage has also surfaced recently. People tend to forget that CSNY were also there, because like Santana they too declined to be included in the Gimme Shelter movie. The rough 16mm footage (no audio) was shot by Guardian photographer Eamonn McCabe and was not made public until 2009.

Full details and CSNY Altamont footage at: [www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 24, 2013 22:16

stonehearted

[www.iorr.org]

Sorry to be anal but Santana is a band not just one guy smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 24, 2013 22:45

GumbootCloggeroo
Sorry to be anal but Santana is a band not just one guy

Yeah right, lead by Carlos Santana ... DOH

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 24, 2013 23:23

Thanks, stonehearted - I'm acquainted with Robert Altman, and know his work well -- pretty astonishing, and
will be interviewing him for my documetary, Altamont 360° - definitely aware of the footage - as well as
more, which may be able to come to light in Altamont 360°.

- swiss

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 25, 2013 00:11

I'd love to know if people actually got under the stage...it seems from the photo that it was an open fronted structure. Surely when all the fighting kicked off and it was crammed down at the front, some bright soul would have scrambles under and maybe even through to the back stage area.

Date: July 25, 2013 00:19

Congratulations on your documentary, swiss! I hope to view it eventually--any chance that it will be available on DVD? I'm in the Boston area, so this sounds like a film that might be shown at the Coolidge Corner Theater in Brookline, Mass. There are also a couple of other possibilities for screenings, like the Somerville Theater in Somerville, or the Kendall Square Cinema or, especially, the Brattle Theater, both in Cambridge. Best wishes for success, and I will hope for a Boston area screening.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 25, 2013 01:16

Sounds like a great documentary project, swiss! Best of luck!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 25, 2013 07:47

FYI, photographer Altman is not to be confused with the late great film director.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 25, 2013 14:03

3-discs + dvd boot;

Altamont Motor Speedway, Livermore, CA, December 6, 1969

Sound Quality: Good to Very Good Audience

CD 1: Sound Check - Moog Synth 1:14/Opening Announcement - Sam Cutler "Greatest Party of 1969" 1:12/Savor 3:34/Jingo 3:41/Evil Ways (Partial) 0:51(Santana)/Sam Cutler - Annoucement 0:25/The Other Side Of This Life 5:38/3/5th Of A Mile 5:43/Fat Angel 3:48/White Rabbit 2:16/Free Bird (Partial) 1:27/Ballad Of You, Me, & Pooneil 10:22 (Jefferson Airplane)/Introduction - Six Days On The Road 2:54/High Fashion Queen 1:47/Cody Cody 2:53/Lazy Day 3:39 (The Flying Burrito Brothers)/Black Queen 4:58/Pre-Road Downs 2:40/Long Time Gone 4:51/Down By The River (Partial) 2:09 (Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young)/Pre-Announcement for The Rolling Stones 0:22

CD 2: Sam Cutler - Introduction* 1:30/Jumpin' Jack Flash* 4:18/Carol 3:51/Sympathy For The Devil 13:01/The Sun Is Shining 4:39/Stray Cat Blues* 3:54/Love In Vain 5:41/Under My Thumb 8:42/Brown Sugar 3:26/Midnight Rambler 10:53/Live With Me 3:24/Gimme Shelter (Soundboard from "A Shot Of Salvation") 4:30
*Spliced from previously uncirculated soundboard source.

CD 3: Little Queenie 4:35/(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 7:26/Honky Tonk Women 4:00/Street Fighting Man 4:15
Bonus Tracks: MC by The Taper on Radio 0:35/Introduction 1:38/Jumping Jack Flash 4:18/Carol 3:48/MC by The Taper on Radio 0:21/Sympathy For The Devil 10:19/Evil Ways 2:23/Jumpin' Jack Flash 0:20/Carol 1:52/Mick Jagger Live MC 1:14/Sympathy For The Devil 0:27

Bonus DVD:

"Altamont Was The Nightmare" - Silent 8mm film segment with sound overdubbing. CSNY & Stones footage.

" Altamont Weekend" - "Newswatch" report KRON-TV, San Francisco, December 8, 1969 telecast.

Introduction/Jumpin' Jack Flash/Carol/Let's Get Together/Report & Interviews/Evil Ways/Carol/Jagger/Sympathy For The Devil/Report & Interviews/Outro/Let's Get Together

Comment: A different audience source than previous releases in similar sound quality.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 13, 2017 17:35

Seems the Flying Burrito Bros performed "To Love Somebody" also..according to Selvin's new book.

Date: January 13, 2017 19:10

Eleanor Rigby
Seems the Flying Burrito Bros performed "To Love Somebody" also..according to Selvin's new book.

Great track, written by the Bee Gees. That one's not included on my bootleg, unfortunately..

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 13, 2017 20:11

crumbling_mice
I'd love to know if people actually got under the stage...it seems from the photo that it was an open fronted structure. Surely when all the fighting kicked off and it was crammed down at the front, some bright soul would have scrambles under and maybe even through to the back stage area.

She almost did

Still thinking about it

Date: January 14, 2017 04:09

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Great track, written by the Bee Gees. That one's not included on my bootleg, unfortunately..

Agreed..a classic.
Seems strange there isnt a definitive setlist from this day.

Date: January 14, 2017 16:05

Eleanor Rigby

Cool! I have definitely not ever seen that on any of the various sources, or heard anyone mention that - is it footnoted or cited? It wouldn't have been firsthand observation since he wasn't at Altamont.

-swiss

Date: June 2, 2017 10:12

Wroclaw

We Can Be Together
Somebody to Love
Greasy Heart
White Rabbit
Come Back Baby
Volunteers

Hope it helps.

After listening to the new Altamont aud tape it seems Somebody to Love was played 2nd.

We Can Be Together
Somebody to Love
The Other Side of This Life - #1
The Other Side of This Life - #2
Greasy Heart
White Rabbit
Come Back Baby
Volunteers* - not on tape

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-02 10:27 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: June 2, 2017 10:13

also..

Flying Burrito Bros (according to the tape), played these songs in this order:

Six Days on The Road
High Fashion Queen
Cody Cody
Lazy Days
Close Up The Honky Tonks
Mental Revenge

...possibly more.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 2, 2017 10:59

Eleanor Rigby
also..

Flying Burrito Bros (according to the tape), played these songs in this order:

Six Days on The Road
High Fashion Queen
Cody Cody
Lazy Days
Close Up The Honky Tonks
Mental Revenge

...possibly more.

Why didn't the Burritos play anything from their vastly superior first album? And what was Gram doing from the time he finished his set until piling into the getaway helicopter? (I'm not necessarily looking for a drug list but I'd settle for that.)

Date: June 2, 2017 12:23

There's footage of Gram on stage behind mick taylor during the Stones set.
Id be keen to do that also!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home