Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Dylan's next Bootleg Series Announced
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:14

As am I. That alternate version of If Not For You is stunning. And the live version of Quinn is sublime.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:30

tomcasagranda
Dylan's "Bootleg", archive series are equally enigmatic as anything else that Dylan puts out.

I stated "archive" as I wonder what's going to happen if, and when, the Blood On The Tracks sessions are issued ? If we go as far back as 1985's Biograph, we find an alternate "You're A Big Girl Now", and the early version of Meet Me In The Morning, i.e. Call Letter Blues, and the unissued Up To Me.

In 1991, we get a series of alternate versions of Blood On The Tracks recordings on Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3, and then an alternate Shelter From The Storm crops up on the Jerry MacGuire soundtrack. So, what, therefore, is going to happen with Series 11 ?

I'm wondering about this as well because the studio logs for the BOTT sessions would suggest that there are no other songs recorded other than the ten on the album plus Call Letter Blues and Up To Me, which have both since been released.

There's an unknown track from 17/9/74 but maybe it wasnt completed, and thats it.

There was also no tour behind this record, so its hard to see how they're going to stretch that out as anything but multiple takes of the released songs. Some of which have of course already been released, bootlegged and/or appeared on early test pressings of the album.

[www.punkhart.com]

To get back to the original subject, I'm absolutely loving this new release. Next to the very first Bootleg Series, its maybe the most eye opening one yet. Ive always liked Self Portrait anyway, but this stuff is a revelation. Has he ever sung as wonderfully as he does on some of these songs? Huge tip of the hat for the people who put this together - they did their homework properly by enlisting the help of a fan from the Netherlands who was given access to the tapes and made recommendations as well as advising what had and hadnt been bootlegged. He also recommended that they release the Isle of Wight show as a bonus disc. So as a result we get two discs of 33 studio recordings none of which has ever circulated before in any form and a recording of the IOW gig which after 44 years causes that show to be re-evaluated in a much more favourable light when previously all we had were a few scratchy bootlegs and a perfunctory quartet of songs poorly mixed (and in the case of LARS, badly performed) and thrown together onto Self Portrait with no real logic behind their selection.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:39

Here's other 3 videos of the Isle of Wight concert. The last one is a sort of documentary of Dylan in the Festival, and includes 4 or 5 songs, some of them incomplete:

[v.youku.com]

Date: August 28, 2013 05:20

By the way, Dylan is on the cover of the next Rolling Stone Magazine (sept. 12).

Date: August 28, 2013 06:25

Cristiano Radtke
keefriffhard4life
i got the 2 cd version today and have listened to disc 1 and just started disc 2. this is some good stuff.

I heard the 2 CDs of unreleased material plus the live CD with the Band during the entire weekend, several times. To me, these new versions of the Self Portrait songs are much better than the original release.

i agree. this period of dylans work isn't my favorite but this collection is outstanding.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 3, 2013 18:29

Oh Me Oh My, Love this Country Pie

Date: September 3, 2013 19:06

Gazza
tomcasagranda
Dylan's "Bootleg", archive series are equally enigmatic as anything else that Dylan puts out.

I stated "archive" as I wonder what's going to happen if, and when, the Blood On The Tracks sessions are issued ? If we go as far back as 1985's Biograph, we find an alternate "You're A Big Girl Now", and the early version of Meet Me In The Morning, i.e. Call Letter Blues, and the unissued Up To Me.

In 1991, we get a series of alternate versions of Blood On The Tracks recordings on Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3, and then an alternate Shelter From The Storm crops up on the Jerry MacGuire soundtrack. So, what, therefore, is going to happen with Series 11 ?

I'm wondering about this as well because the studio logs for the BOTT sessions would suggest that there are no other songs recorded other than the ten on the album plus Call Letter Blues and Up To Me, which have both since been released.

There's an unknown track from 17/9/74 but maybe it wasnt completed, and thats it.

There was also no tour behind this record, so its hard to see how they're going to stretch that out as anything but multiple takes of the released songs. Some of which have of course already been released, bootlegged and/or appeared on early test pressings of the album.

[www.punkhart.com]

To get back to the original subject, I'm absolutely loving this new release. Next to the very first Bootleg Series, its maybe the most eye opening one yet. Ive always liked Self Portrait anyway, but this stuff is a revelation. Has he ever sung as wonderfully as he does on some of these songs? Huge tip of the hat for the people who put this together - they did their homework properly by enlisting the help of a fan from the Netherlands who was given access to the tapes and made recommendations as well as advising what had and hadnt been bootlegged. He also recommended that they release the Isle of Wight show as a bonus disc. So as a result we get two discs of 33 studio recordings none of which has ever circulated before in any form and a recording of the IOW gig which after 44 years causes that show to be re-evaluated in a much more favourable light when previously all we had were a few scratchy bootlegs and a perfunctory quartet of songs poorly mixed (and in the case of LARS, badly performed) and thrown together onto Self Portrait with no real logic behind their selection.

video: [www.youtube.com]

I think it's more likely to release the 1973/1974 session outtakes, including some unreleased recordings from Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (like the ones in the Pecos Blues CD, for instance), Planet Waves, BOTT, and choosing some real gems of the 1974 concerts for a live album.

By the way, the B-side of Duquesne Whistle 7" comes with an unreleased track from the NY sessions.

Date: September 25, 2013 19:37

The Complete Collection has now a teaser:

And here's two reviews about it. One version will include a limited edition harmonica USB stick.

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:48

Cristiano Radtke
The Complete Collection has now a teaser:

And here's two reviews about it. One version will include a limited edition harmonica USB stick.

Volume 1 ? Do they expect Dylan to release 35 more studio albums in the next years ?

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:57

This is fantastic. The best of the Bootleg series to date, IMO. Cannot stop listening to it.

Bob Dylan's new career - He moves into Heavy Metal !!!!
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:20

Bob Dylan's new career - He moves into Heavy Metal !!!! Check the link:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 22:21 by seitan.

Re: Bob Dylan's new career - He moves into Heavy Metal !!!!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:23

....Watergate

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:51

Kinda cool, mood swings from moody Bob...

"Wide open and unguarded stand our gates,
And through them presses a wild motley throng--"

Thomas Bailey Aldrich

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:51

Who is he ripping off this time? >grinning smiley< Calder?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 25, 2013 23:41

I guess he's done with his electronica phase tongue sticking out smiley

Rock Fans Outraged As Bob Dylan Goes Electronica

NEWPORT, RI—Audience members at the Newport Rock Festival were "outraged" Monday when rock icon Bob Dylan followed up such classic hits as "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Maggie's Farm" with an electronica set composed of atonal drones, hyperactive drumbeats, and the repeated mechanized lyric "Dance to the club life!" "We came here to see the authentic Dylan, the one with the Stratocaster guitar and signature wild blues-rock band behind him," audience member Robert Hochschild said. "Then he walks out with these puffy headphones, some turntables, and a laptop? The guy's a Judas." When asked later about his musical transformation by reporters, Dylan said he had nothing to say about the beats he programs, he just programs them.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 26, 2013 00:04

Well, at least he's finally got the voice for it.

Date: September 26, 2013 03:48

kowalski

Volume 1 ? Do they expect Dylan to release 35 more studio albums in the next years ?

"The Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. Two, slated for release next year, will compile the entire Bootleg Series for the first time".

[www.broadwayworld.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 10, 2014 01:25

The clip of Pretty Saro on page 1 of this thread has dropped out, but it's still available on the Rolling Stone site and in this YouTube clip.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 10, 2014 02:23

It's a real shame and embarrassment that the stones out takes were overdubbed.....Dylan's bootleg series is genius

Date: March 10, 2014 02:30

Different methods of writing and recording, in fairness.

The lyrics and vocals are usually one of the last things that seem to get finished on a Stones session - a cursory dip into any studio bootleg album would seem to indicate that. There are hours and hours of studio takes in existence - but how many of them are original songs that are finished and genuinely releasable ? Very very few. Most of the better unreleased studio songs that are in circulation are covers.

With Dylan, its an entirely different work ethic. Its pretty amazing to think that in the first 20 years of his career - excluding the Basment Tapes which werent a studio album session per se - he spent no more than 90 days in recording studios, yet managed to create a body of work that could well be argued to be unsurpassed by anyone. And so many of those great songs required a very small number of takes. Most of them cut 'live' with no overdubbing afterwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-10 03:06 by Gazza.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 10, 2014 03:48

Truly amazing gazza

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 10, 2014 03:54

Its incredible, which is exactly why he's a total genius and anyone that says different (and trust me I know a lot of serious people that would) are @#$%& idiots.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 10, 2014 05:54

RollingFreak
Its incredible, which is exactly why he's a total genius and anyone that says different (and trust me I know a lot of serious people that would) are @#$%& idiots.

Yes, he is, and yes, they are,

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 10, 2014 08:37

Gazza

The lyrics and vocals are usually one of the last things that seem to get finished on a Stones session - a cursory dip into any studio bootleg album would seem to indicate that. There are hours and hours of studio takes in existence - but how many of them are original songs that are finished and genuinely releasable ? Very very few. Most of the better unreleased studio songs that are in circulation are covers.

With Dylan, its an entirely different work ethic. Its pretty amazing to think that in the first 20 years of his career - excluding the Basment Tapes which werent a studio album session per se - he spent no more than 90 days in recording studios, yet managed to create a body of work that could well be argued to be unsurpassed by anyone. And so many of those great songs required a very small number of takes. Most of them cut 'live' with no overdubbing afterwards.

Indeed. Dylan's "big three" (Bringing, Highway 61, and Blonde on Blonde) were cut in a total of 16 sessions, with about 3 or 4 others producing outtakes and recordings issued later. And John Wesley Harding was done in 3 sessions. Desire in 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-10 18:05 by tomk.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2014 09:47

tomk
Gazza

Indeed. Dylan's "big three" (Bringing, Highway 61, and BOcool smiley were cut in a total of 16 sessions, with about 3 or 4 others producing outtakes and recordings issued later. And John Wesley Harding was done in 3 sessions. Desire in 4.

And 'Another Side' in one...just a break for leaking were taken...

Date: March 10, 2014 18:14

Come On
tomk
Gazza

Indeed. Dylan's "big three" (Bringing, Highway 61, and BOcool smiley were cut in a total of 16 sessions, with about 3 or 4 others producing outtakes and recordings issued later. And John Wesley Harding was done in 3 sessions. Desire in 4.

And 'Another Side' in one...just a break for leaking were taken...

listening to that album and the available outtakes, I think what breaks there were that night may just as easily have been for refills.

the album credits should read :

Bob Dylan - vocals. guitar, harmonica, piano, Beaujolais.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-10 18:15 by Gazza.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 10, 2014 22:36

It amazes me that, even with the issued Bootleg Series, still so much remains unexplored re: Dylan.

There could be further Freewheelin, Times, Another Side Of, Blonde On Blonde, Dylan/Cash Skyline sessions from the 60s. From the 70s you could have Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid outtakes, and there's even rumours of a darker series of divorce songs cut by Dylan in 1977. T-Bone Burnett referred to one track entitled 'I'm Cold". Certainly, 1977/78 had him write If I Don't Be There By Morning, Legionnaire's Disease, and Stepchild amongst others. The 1979/81 Slow Train / Saved / Shot of Love era also has some great gospel, i.e. Trouble In Mind, Yonder Comes Sin, Caribbean Wind early version. You could go on forever with the amount of studio material still in the vaults, and that's just the stuff we know about: what about the stuff we don't know about ?

As for live material: there's still more 1966 electric stuff unissued, likewise 1974 material, 1976 Rolling Thunder, 1978 world tour, 1979 Warfield, 1980 Gospel Tour, 1980 Musical Retrospective tour, 1981 World Tour, 1984 European Tour, 1986 True Confessions, 1987 Temple In Flames, 1988 - 1990 GE Smith, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1996, 1997 ever onwards. Note how I've ignored 1991/92 as Dylan was poor live during this time.

I think, and I hope it's still a long way off, that once Dylan joins the shades, or sees Elvis, as he put it, then the floodgates will seriously open.

Date: March 11, 2014 01:28

The sessionographies are well documented and chronicled - helped by the fact that Dylan recorded a lot at Columbia-owned studios up to the mid 70s. The only sessions that arent well chronicled on a day to day basis would be The Basement Tapes and the albums he's done in the last 15 years or thereabouts. So, Im not sure that theres a lot of songs in existence that we havent heard of

Whilst there was a huge amount of unbooted material on Another Self Portrait, the existence of the songs was widely known (and of course as its almost all covers, there was always going to be plenty of it). Columbia did liaise with some noted Dylan experts in compiling the material, though.

The dream release for me though is a multi disc set of 'true' Basement Tapes. What was recorded though (if Sid Griffin's book [www.amazon.com]] is any yardstick) is open to speculation as it seems a lot of tapes were erased to save space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-11 01:29 by Gazza.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 2, 2014 02:16

Speaking of The Basement Tapes...

‘Lost’ Bob Dylan lyrics make for ‘New Basement Tapes’ project

A trove of two dozen unfinished Bob Dylan songs written circa 1967 during his “Basement Tapes” period are being completed by an all-star band assembled by producer T Bone Burnett and including Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford and My Morning Jacket’s Jim James for release as an album and Showtime special this year.

“These are not B-level Dylan lyrics,” Burnett, 66, said last week during a break in filming and recording sessions in Hollywood for the project titled “Lost On the River: The New Basement Tapes.” “They’re lyrics he just never got around to finishing.”

Rounding out the band working on the new material are Carolina Chocolate Drops singer Rhiannon Giddens and Dawes lead guitarist and songwriter Taylor Goldsmith.

Burnett and Costello spoke of trying to honor the spirit of the original recordings that came to be known as “The Basement Tapes” because they were recorded by Dylan and the Band while they had holed up in a large upstate New York house known as Big Pink.

The recordings they made were never intended to be released, but they became the first widely circulated bootleg recordings of a major rock artist and ultimately were released in official form by Dylan’s label, Columbia Records, in 1975.

Among the songs written during that time, many in collaboration with members of the Band, were some of the most highly regarded of both artists’ careers, including “I Shall Be Released,” “Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn),” “Tears of Rage” “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” and “Crash on the Levee (Down in the Flood).”

They reportedly wrote and recorded at least 30 new songs, but Dylan had written many more sets of lyrics that he never set to music.

“The New Basement Tapes” project aims to honor the freewheeling spirit of the original sessions, even though, Costello pointed out from the control room of Capitol Records Studio A, “This is the exact opposite of ‘The Basement Tapes’: We’re in the best recording studio in the world, and we’re not in a basement.’ ”

Another difference is that this project also is being documented by filmmaker Sam Jones, for a Showtime program, “Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued.” Jones noted that no photographs apparently were taken during the original Big Pink sessions, although some film footage is said to exist.

One intriguing facet of the current project is the collaboration among the participants. Each has come up with his or her own music for many of the lyrics, resulting in multiple versions of the same songs and allowing a perspective on the ways that different artists respond to Dylan’s lyrics.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 2, 2014 10:21

Though I consider myself a big Dylan fan I am not by any means an expert or even a well versed casual fan.
I own almost as much Dylan as Stones stuff,so it was a surprise to ME maybe I was not paying attention when this set was announced The Real Bob Dylan so it in Sainsburys on Sunday £5 for 3CDS,I know I have most of the tracks but there are a couple of less well know to me.
How could I leave it there when it was onlt £5
ps

there was also ''original album series ZZ TOP'' there for £9 for 5CDS ,Got that too.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home