Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
I love Goats Head Soup
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 11, 2013 03:38

I have really been getting into Goats Head Soup.Its a good album.

what are your thoughts on this?

I love Dancing with Mr D,Winter,Coming Down Again,Can you hear the music

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 03:39 by mandu.

Re: I love Goats Head Soup
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 11, 2013 03:42

100 Years Ago, Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) and Star Star are some of my favorite Stones tracks.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 11, 2013 03:45

With the exception of "Can You Hear The Music" I love it.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 11, 2013 03:52

mandu
I have really been getting into Goats Head Soup.Its a good album.

what are your thoughts on this?

I love Dancing with Mr D,Winter,Coming Down Again,Can you hear the music

Me too, always have.

Date: July 11, 2013 03:53

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 11, 2013 04:01

Me too. Unjustly overlooked. But a couple of tracks really came alive on the '73 tour, thinking of Dancing and Doo Doo Doo.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 11, 2013 04:18

First time I heard it was on 8track in the fall. Very mysterious album to me. Dense layers, very dark.. Love it.

Date: July 11, 2013 04:34

I absolutely adore this album. My favorite Stones album, bar none including Exile! Exile is a close 2nd for me, but really it's not *that* close . . . GHS will ALWAYS be it for me!

Favorite two Stones songs ever are on there:

"Dancing With Mr. D" and "Can You Hear The Music." "D" regularly and unjustly gets written off as the Stones parodying themselves or phoning in a rocker but back in reality it's NOTHING like their earlier rockers. It's a dirge that oozes heroin and features what is IMHO the best chorus they ever sang and the best riff Keith ever played. I find that riff stuck in my head on a daily basis. It is currently my most-played song on iTunes. Regarding "Can You Hear The Music," has there ever been such a unique song in the Stones' canon? Maybe "Gomper" or "Heaven" could also compete for that title? Before or after, they never made another track that sounds like this one! Love the slowed down, warlock-esque backing vocals (a trick the Flaming Lips would use again and again beginning with In A Priest Driven Ambulance in 1990), love the joyous, multi-layered Mick Taylor guitars, love the line "sometimes I wonder why we're here, but I don't care, I don't care!"--so honest! It's a great piece of existential angst yielding in the realization that MUSIC is the answer--all over a great, slow burning (GHS is a very midtempo album much of the time . . . perhaps that was/is why many are let down by it following "the great 4" ) backbeat with killer guitar.

Love GHS! I have turned so many friends onto this record over the years who were Stones fans who loved "the big 5" and Aftermath etc. but had never heard GHS. Many of those same friends now consider it superior to Exile and rank it their #1 album as well. We're all crazy, right?! That will naturally be the response from GHS naysayers. >grinning smiley<

I agree with 71Tele that some of the songs really came alive on that tour--every live take of "Dancing With Mr. D" I've heard on youtube (I'm 32 so . . . ) positively COOKS.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 04:37

I'm fond of turtle soup...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2013 05:12

It stinks. There, somebody had to drop the turd in the punch bowl.

Date: July 11, 2013 05:28

a/v doesnt match, but still pretty cool version

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 11, 2013 08:05

Max'sKansasCity
a/v doesnt match, but still pretty cool version

What a band!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 11, 2013 09:22

GHS.

My first Stones album.

Date: July 11, 2013 09:29

Some trash GHS, some IORR, I like them both.....They both embody the 70's vibe for me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2013 09:49

It's a real mish-mash. It's got a smash single and the aching Coming Down Again, but the production is all over the place. It's hard to judge it, being so close to the big 4, BB/LIB/SFs/EXILE. It's not even on the same plane as those works. Probably a notch better than IORR. I think it's fraught with the inescapable feeling that whatever great lift they had been on since '68 had suddenly vanished. They were looking back, and kind of sounded like they wanted to hang it up. Not a very coherent album, compared to its immediate predecessors.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 11, 2013 10:26

The version of Dancing with Mr D on Brussels Affair seriously brings the funk! "drinkin' belladonna on Toussaint night...". Indeed.smoking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 11, 2013 10:57

Great album, and a greater tour on the back of it. It's also seriously different to Exile, and more a Sticky Fingers follow-up.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 11, 2013 11:04

GOATS HEAD SOUP sounds rather hazy and unfocused on initial listens at times, where certain songs do stand out immediately, in a more conventional sense, such as 'Angie', Star Star' and 'Silver Train', while others tend to sound a little more unstructured and self indulgent, such as 'Winter', '100 Years Ago' and 'Can You Hear The Music'. My thoughts concerning the album are the Stones sound rather frayed around the edges, almost as though their muse was slipping a little, yet there is a great deal on this album that fascinates the more you listen. Maybe it is the fact that GOATS HEAD SOUP isn't quite so finely tuned as its immediate predecessors (and EXILE for all its splattering of rock 'n' roll, country, soul and blues, is a remarkably focused album) that adds to its appeal. Tracks like 'Winter' and 'Can You Hear The Music' are strangely atmospheric, in a sense, which is a new feature for the Stones, and they may sound a little lacking in melody intially, where the Stones seem very much in a self indulgent haze, but these songs, hide hidden strengths and great beauty beneath their surface, which only repeated listens can fully reveal. To some listeners, and critics, GOATS HEAD SOUP does seem rather less than a great collection of songs, because in a conventional sense, a number of these songs don't sound quite so fully formed and vital, perhaps, but repeated listens reveal something very different. In a sense GOATS HEAD SOUP does mark the first signs of decline because it isn't as well structured and arranged, yet what it lacks in one respect, it makes up for having that certain 'feel'. In a sense the album's strength is its mood, which is predominantly mellow, and even on the more rocking tracks like 'Silver Train' and 'Heartbreaker'. Whether that's to do with Keith being less prominant, and Mick Taylor taking on an increasing role may be open to debate. Only on 'Star Star', do the Stones sound a little more typically themselves.

GOATS HEAD SOUP is in a different class to IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, which tends to fall flat pretty much immediately, because by that time i sense their muse had pretty much deserted them, when going-through-the-motions became the order of the day.

Date: July 11, 2013 11:10

tomcasagranda
Great album, and a greater tour on the back of it. It's also seriously different to Exile, and more a Sticky Fingers follow-up.

Interesting thought......like an exhausted follow up after an "Exile hiatus"

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 11, 2013 11:12

coming down again is the best track on it.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: July 11, 2013 11:38

GHS is great! it has feeling of fall,colourfull trees....and smell of winter wich is near.
Great.
i like to listen it ....let´s say 2-3 months before christmas.

Doo Doo Doo is always on my TOP10 songs,Maybe TOP5

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 11, 2013 15:12

RaahenTiikeri
GHS is great! it has feeling of fall,colourfull trees....and smell of winter wich is near.
Great.
i like to listen it ....let´s say 2-3 months before christmas.

Doo Doo Doo is always on my TOP10 songs,Maybe TOP5

For me, it's my favorite summer Stones album, but probably more because I really got into it a few summers ago. Whatever the season, it's a unique Stones album... beautiful, sad, mysterious, and rockin. I love it too.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 11, 2013 15:28

It's a summer album for me too, and a favourite one - and one that really fits together as a whole, from the gloomy opening of Mr. D (love at first listen to that riff, for me) to the great blazing explosion of Star Star at the end.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2013 15:37

It's a wonderful album with a totally unique vibe about it. I so wish they'd play Hide Your Love live with Mick Taylor given free rein to play one of his wonderful solos on it.

And imagine if Keith, during his live slot, said "right, the next song is gonna be Coming Down Again". The audience would flip out.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 11, 2013 15:39

fahthree
With the exception of "Can You Hear The Music" I love it.

Love the riff to CYHTM but the rest never quite takes off. Could have been a good three minute song though but it sure does drag down side two.

Never understood how Star Star ended up so anemic compared to the live versions but otherwise I adore this album.

The acetate mixes even more so.

Wish Criss Cross, Through The Lonely Nights & Fast Talking made the cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 15:49 by andrewt.

Date: July 11, 2013 15:44

I think CYHTM is just lost. The studio version of Star Star is very clean, perhaps too clean.....Love Mr D.....I think if this or IORR came between say SG & ER they would be looked at completely different.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: July 11, 2013 15:52

Love Goat Heads Soup! Dancing With Mr.D,100 Years Ago(just call me lazybones) and Coming Down Again are three of my favorite songs.

Date: July 11, 2013 15:57

I'm not real good with usernames/gender, but chicks seem to really dig this one. Guys seem to be more 50/50 with it......I find that interesting.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2013 16:05

Thrylan
I'm not real good with usernames/gender, but chicks seem to really dig this one. Guys seem to be more 50/50 with it......I find that interesting.

Maybe cuz only half the songs are any good...just sayin'

Date: July 11, 2013 16:08

treaclefingers
Thrylan

Maybe cuz only half the songs are any good...just sayin'

I agree, but the ladies are going to kill us now that it's been said.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home