Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: I love Goats Head Soup
Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:37

ab
Silver Dagger
It's a wonderful album with a totally unique vibe about it. I so wish they'd play Hide Your Love live with Mick Taylor given free rein to play one of his wonderful solos on it.

And imagine if Keith, during his live slot, said "right, the next song is gonna be Coming Down Again". The audience would flip out.

You bet they'd flip out! If they played Coming Down Again live, there'd be an even greater rush to the toilets than is usual for Keith's vocal songs. Someone might get slip and get trampled on the way to bathroom. The vast majority of the audience probably doesn't know it or anything else on that record that isn't Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Angie or Starf-cker.

I'm not a fan of GHS, IORR or B&B. GHS is the beginning of the Stones' decline. Playing deep cuts from a lesser album is a surefire way to lose your audience onstage.

Oh, and Johnny Winter's version of Silver Train from Still Alive and Well wipes the floor with the GHS version.

not really , good job the stones reworked that old version !

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 12:41

fahthree
With the exception of "Can You Hear The Music" I love it.

Ditto! GHS had to be played twice when I got home yesterday, after reading this. Great album! Favourites: 100 years ago, Coming down again, Heartbreaker and definitely Starf*****. Too bad I have heard the latter only once, and the sound was so bad by the b-stage in AMS in 2003 that I could hardly hear anything.

Date: July 16, 2013 13:33

IMO, GHS is overrated by the hardcore fans. Undoubtly, the album has its own identity and vibe. However, the songwriting and the production is not up to par, compared with their best albums.

Can You Hear The Music is awesome when you've given this album a lot of spins. By then Silver Train, Dancing With Mr D and Star Star are the ones you'll get the most tired of. All in my humble opinion, of course.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 16, 2013 15:12

DandelionPowderman
IMO, GHS is overrated by the hardcore fans. Undoubtly, the album has its own identity and vibe. However, the songwriting and the production is not up to par, compared with their best albums.

Can You Hear The Music is awesome when you've given this album a lot of spins. By then Silver Train, Dancing With Mr D and Star Star are the ones you'll get the most tired of. All in my humble opinion, of course.

You're probably right, but then I don't "rate" albums - if I like it, I like it, whether or not it has half a star less than (insert title here). Agree about not needing to hear Mr. D too many times in a row, but I'm not nearly tired of anything else yet. I suspect I may not have heard Heartbreaker enough times to get it, since so many other people obviously do. I don't hate it, but it's not a favourite.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 19:50

i like goats head soup. also its only rock and roll.

not up to exile standards but what is.

if you take the best of goats head and its only rock and roll you would have had a classic album.

something like this.

side 1.

1. star star.
2. if you cant rock me.
3. hide your love.
4. fingerprint file.
5. angie.
6. its only rock and roll.
7. dancing with mr d.

side 2.

1. winter.
2. if you really want to be my friend.
3. silver train.
4. time waits for no one.
5. heartbreaker.
6. luxury.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 16, 2013 20:15

I could do without Star Star, IORR and Luxury.

Of course I would add 100 years ago and Coming Down Again from GHS and Dance Little Sister and Till The Next Goodbye from IORR

So it would be something like this:

Silver Train
Coming Down Again
Hide Your Love
Dancing with Mr D
Dance Little Sister
Winter
Angie

If You Can't Rock Me
Till The Next Goodbye
Heartbreaker
100 Years Ago
If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Fingerprint File
Time Waits For No one

Hell uva album!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-16 21:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: .
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:19

Max'sKansasCity

Now that has to be a speed record for one of Max's posts: posted at 9.13, edited out of existence 9.14.

"If I am so quickly done for
What on earth was I begun for?"

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:20

I think GOATS HEAD SOUP is considerably stronger than IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, so i'm a lot less inclined to mix those songs up, in an effort to create a 'best of' because whichever way you do it, i believe the original GOATS HEAD SOUP album to be much stronger, without the need for any of those IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL alternatives. 'Luxury' and 'Time Waits For No-One' are the only songs on IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL that i can truly warm to. GOATS HEAD SOUP grows with repeated listens because it has depth, and it is quite intriguing, in a more musical sense, whereas i feel in the main, IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, becomes boring and repetitive fairly quickly, partly because the quality of the songs aren't up to much, and the arrangements are too forced and formulaic, as though the Stones were very much running on empty, where a need for inspiration was concerned. What i love about GOATS HEAD SOUP, is the fact that the Stones were moving in a slightly new direction, with those funk elements on songs like 'Heartbreaker' and '100 Years Ago', and also those slower songs such as 'Coming Down Again', Winter' and 'Can You Hear The Music?' are amazingly mellow and atmospheric in a way that is quite unusual for the Stones. GOATS HEAD SOUP really isn't a stones-by-numbers album. In fact in many ways, it is a lot more contemporary, than its predecessor EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

Something was lost in the albums following GOATS HEAD SOUP, arguably never to return fully. Maybe it was in part the Stones muse, or perhaps their musical subtelty. SOME GIRLS, for example, lacks any real musical depth, although it is highly regarded by many fans and critics alike.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:51

Let me try, let me try!

IYCRM
ATPTB
IORR
DWMD
SS

DLS
CDA
HYL
IYRWTBMF
FF

10 song format.

Date: July 16, 2013 23:25

Edward Twining
I think GOATS HEAD SOUP is considerably stronger than IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, so i'm a lot less inclined to mix those songs up, in an effort to create a 'best of' because whichever way you do it, i believe the original GOATS HEAD SOUP album to be much stronger, without the need for any of those IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL alternatives. 'Luxury' and 'Time Waits For No-One' are the only songs on IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL that i can truly warm to. GOATS HEAD SOUP grows with repeated listens because it has depth, and it is quite intriguing, in a more musical sense, whereas i feel in the main, IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, becomes boring and repetitive fairly quickly, partly because the quality of the songs aren't up to much, and the arrangements are too forced and formulaic, as though the Stones were very much running on empty, where a need for inspiration was concerned. What i love about GOATS HEAD SOUP, is the fact that the Stones were moving in a slightly new direction, with those funk elements on songs like 'Heartbreaker' and '100 Years Ago', and also those slower songs such as 'Coming Down Again', Winter' and 'Can You Hear The Music?' are amazingly mellow and atmospheric in a way that is quite unusual for the Stones. GOATS HEAD SOUP really isn't a stones-by-numbers album. In fact in many ways, it is a lot more contemporary, than its predecessor EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

Something was lost in the albums following GOATS HEAD SOUP, arguably never to return fully. Maybe it was in part the Stones muse, or perhaps their musical subtelty. SOME GIRLS, for example, lacks any real musical depth, although it is highly regarded by many fans and critics alike.

I mostly agree with you Edward, though I like Dance Little Sister and dislike Luxury (boring to me in the guitar section). Fingerprint File is a special song on its own: great bass too cool smiley

Date: July 17, 2013 00:20

FF, IYCRM, IORR, Luxury and IYRWTBMF are my favourites on IORR - all with great guitars. They are also the only good tracks, maybe with the exception of DLS, which is far too repetitive..

CDA, Angie, CYHTM and Heartbreaker are by far the best tracks on GHS, imo.

Yes, I know there are some good guitar moments, too, but those can't save poor songs, imo.

Re: .
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2013 05:16

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity

Now that has to be a speed record for one of Max's posts: posted at 9.13, edited out of existence 9.14.

ANOTHER classic!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:39

I think this was mentioned earlier, was Winter ever done live?

Posted by: jaggerrich ()
Date: July 17, 2013 22:04

Goat's head soup is a good album, but not in the same league as the classic 4 albums that preceded it. Exile is their best IMHO, so a hard act to follow. I think It's only rock'n'roll is slightly better, but not significantly. Did I read somewhere that Jagger dislikes this album? Not sure why he does. Black and blue is a much weaker album than this though, and my least fave of their 70s albums. Rich.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 18, 2013 00:14

DandelionPowderman
FF, IYCRM, IORR, Luxury and IYRWTBMF are my favourites on IORR - all with great guitars. They are also the only good tracks, maybe with the exception of DLS, which is far too repetitive..

CDA, Angie, CYHTM and Heartbreaker are by far the best tracks on GHS, imo.

Yes, I know there are some good guitar moments, too, but those can't save poor songs, imo.

I see your point, Dandelion. Somewhere along the line the Stones began to lose their focus around the time of GOATS HEAD SOUP, and whereas those earlier albums songs from BEGGARS BANQUET - EXILE ON MAIN STREET were arranged fairly tight and focused, a few of GOATS HEAD SOUP's songs sound a little ill defined, and perhaps lacking in a coherent structure. There is a sense, though, that the Stones were at least willing to throw a few different things into the mix, many of those possessing strengths that become more evident over repeated listens.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2013 00:16

I LOVE TOMATO SOUP..........

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: July 18, 2013 00:36

straycatblues73

I'm not a fan of GHS, IORR or B&B. GHS is the beginning of the Stones' decline. Playing deep cuts from a lesser album is a surefire way to lose your audience onstage.

These albums are not the beginning of decline.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 27, 2013 19:46

Great album. Had they included Tops and Waiting on a Friend, still without lyrics, then surely would have been a classic like the previous 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-27 20:55 by muffie.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 27, 2013 20:47

The influence of the island and a lot of different musicians who were involved in the studio made this fine album

Silver Train

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: July 29, 2013 16:49

"Luxury" is one of my Top Ten favorite Rolling Stones songs of all-time.

'Goats Head Soup' is one of my Top Five favorite Rolling Stones albums of all-time.

Been a Fan since 1968.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:11

Great album

Posted by: opentuning ()
Date: July 29, 2013 20:58

I love GHS, it sounds so mysterious and magical.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:17

To me, Goats Head Soup heralded a new phase for the Rolling Stones. It was their first true 70's album and pitted them against their current contemporaries for the first time. I say this because, in my opinion, of course, both Sticky Fingers to a lesser extent, Exile On Main St, are partly a hangover from their late 60's era. Just take into account how many of those tracks were initially worked on in the previous decade: Sister Morphine, Loving Cup, Brown Sugar, Shine A Light...

Date: July 30, 2013 03:02

Big Al
To me, Goats Head Soup heralded a new phase for the Rolling Stones. It was their first true 70's album and pitted them against their current contemporaries for the first time. I say this because, in my opinion, of course, both Sticky Fingers to a lesser extent, Exile On Main St, are partly a hangover from their late 60's era. Just take into account how many of those tracks were initially worked on in the previous decade: Sister Morphine, Loving Cup, Brown Sugar, Shine A Light...

Indeed, both Sticky F and Exile are in fact products of the end of the sixties. Very old material in fact, endlessly worked at.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 30, 2013 03:07

Goats is a fantastic album, but the videos are scary

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:27

GHS was my first so will always love it...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2013 20:50

Eh. NSFW song? Not Safe For Work? That has got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've ever seen.

[news.radio.com]

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 5, 2013 06:57

Lost my virginity because of Angie so yeah, not a bad record.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home