Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How many Brian, Mick, and Ronnie songs played this tour?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 9, 2013 03:37

Does anyone know the percentage of Brian Jones songs, Mick Taylor songs, and Ron Wood songs that were played on this tour or since the London shows? Who is the top Stone?

That means songs recorded on albums during their tenure with the Stones.

Re: How many Brian, Mick, and Ronnie songs played this tour?
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 04:54

Surprisingly...I think it's Brian...if you give him Let It Bleed...

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 04:59

...if you don't, it's Taylor...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:02

Kind of a difficult question, as Taylor was the one who first toured the Beggar's and LIB stuff (excluding the one-off R&R Circus gig) and HTW, while Woodie was the first to tour the IORR songs, the B&B songs and the Taylor songs from TY.

As for your question, the Top Stone is....Keith on guitar! But we still want more Taylor for next Saturday's gig!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:03

The Ronnie era, which now spans 38 years, was represented by only four songs at Hyde Park. Five, if you count IORR.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:49

tatters
The Ronnie era, which now spans 38 years, was represented by only four songs at Hyde Park. Five, if you count IORR.

IORR is a great example of the blurriness, tatters. Semi-written/"inspiration" credits by Wood on an MT-era album. Or BB/LIB songs that BJ and MT didn't play on.

Sicilian, it seems not clear cut since we all know how semi-chancy it is that any Stone ends up on a final take for the record, especially Bill or the extra guitarist. No CW on IORR, no MJ on YGTS, no KR on Sway, MT on WAY, IORR etc. It's more about MJ/KR's eras of songwriting. and you almost have to call BB and LIB KR's albums instead of BJ or MT-eras. And Ronnie gets a bit ripped off as there's only been 4 albums and the 2 new songs in 25 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 05:52 by winter.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:55

IMO..... Ronnie gets IORR....he helped write it.....and MT gets LIB & BB. Brian had nothing to do with anything that actually gets played live......Also, give MT HTW, and give Brian JJF.

That having been said, looks like MT in a landslide.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: July 9, 2013 06:29

I'd say Let It Bleed is a Keith and Keith album. Virtually no Brian or Taylor.

Date: July 9, 2013 08:37

TimeIs
I'd say Let It Bleed is a Keith and Keith album. Virtually no Brian or Taylor.

Interesting....... if you add BB(reasonable) HTW and JJF......Keith might win, out of the smallest period.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 9, 2013 11:34

winter
tatters

IORR is a great example of the blurriness, tatters. Semi-written/"inspiration" credits by Wood on an MT-era album. Or BB/LIB songs that BJ and MT didn't play on.

Sicilian, it seems not clear cut since we all know how semi-chancy it is that any Stone ends up on a final take for the record, especially Bill or the extra guitarist. No CW on IORR, no MJ on YGTS, no KR on Sway, MT on WAY, IORR etc. It's more about MJ/KR's eras of songwriting. and you almost have to call BB and LIB KR's albums instead of BJ or MT-eras. And Ronnie gets a bit ripped off as there's only been 4 albums and the 2 new songs in 25 years.

I agree.
Bb/lib/sf/exile are the Keith golden era

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 9, 2013 12:35

Did Brian and Mick T actually have songwriting credits on any albums?

I believe Ronnie had some on Dirty Work, but I don't think any of those get played.

I would say the set list features only Jagger/Richards material, by special agreement, meaning that no solo material is played in a Stones set list.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 9, 2013 18:04

Taylor got credit for Ventilator Blues.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: July 10, 2013 01:46

Why do you say Ronnie for IORR? Mick Taylor is in the Bubble video.

Date: July 10, 2013 01:56

6s7s9s
Why do you say Ronnie for IORR? Mick Taylor is in the Bubble video.

Ronnie's song, in his studio, and Keith left his 12 string track on it. MT is not, video be damned.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 10, 2013 02:21

Beggars Banquet was released during Brian's lifetime and features contributions from him, also. If the Stones perform Sympathy For The Devil or No Expectations, they count as 'Brian-era' performances, surely. Let It Bleed is a little different, of course.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 10, 2013 06:37

My two cents, I say "Brian era" is up to Beggars Banquet and not including BB. You could maybe include No Expectations for him, but aside from that he's really not on the album and I don't consider something like Sympathy a "Brian era" song.

I would say "Mick Taylor era" is Sticky Fingers to IORR, also including Honky Tonk Women. Let It Bleed is just Keith and doesn't deserve to be Brian or Taylor.

Ronnie is Black And Blue and on, plus the song IORR which should be him and not Taylor.

I would guess its Mick Taylor songs that got the most play (and by that I mean songs from albums he was on). Not including Let It Bleed, Taylor and Brian songs probably are pretty close, but I'd still think Taylor is on top. Ronnie era is easily last, which is not his fault, they just don't play much post IORR.

Date: July 10, 2013 08:09

RollingFreak
My two cents, I say "Brian era" is up to Beggars Banquet and not including BB. You could maybe include No Expectations for him, but aside from that he's really not on the album and I don't consider something like Sympathy a "Brian era" song.

I would say "Mick Taylor era" is Sticky Fingers to IORR, also including Honky Tonk Women. Let It Bleed is just Keith and doesn't deserve to be Brian or Taylor.

Ronnie is Black And Blue and on, plus the song IORR which should be him and not Taylor.

I would guess its Mick Taylor songs that got the most play (and by that I mean songs from albums he was on). Not including Let It Bleed, Taylor and Brian songs probably are pretty close, but I'd still think Taylor is on top. Ronnie era is easily last, which is not his fault, they just don't play much post IORR.

Exactly

Date: July 11, 2013 01:34

RollingFreak, that's way too complex a way of looking at it. Everything up to and including Beggars Banquet, in my opinion, is the 'Brian-era' He may not have contributed quite so much to Beggars Banquet as he had with previous albums, but it's still a 60's LP and still has that Brian feel and vibe all over it. Brian also featured on an early take of Honky Tonk Woman, so that's kinda his era too, as it well as it being the beginning of Taylor's.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 11, 2013 04:30

RollingFreak
My two cents, I say "Brian era" is up to Beggars Banquet and not including BB. You could maybe include No Expectations for him, but aside from that he's really not on the album

eye rolling smiley

He really is.

Date: July 11, 2013 04:40

In my opinion, the end of the Brian-era and beginnings of the Taylor-era are entwined.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 11, 2013 12:15

stonehearted
Did Brian and Mick T actually have songwriting credits on any albums?

I believe Ronnie had some on Dirty Work, but I don't think any of those get played.

I would say the set list features only Jagger/Richards material, by special agreement, meaning that no solo material is played in a Stones set list.

exactly.
so weird to hear about "MT songs".

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: July 13, 2013 07:35

Brian contributes a lot more than people think to "Beggar's Banquet." Lots of mellotron, harmonica, slide, acoustic, tamboura. He's coloring lots of songs.

His abundant presence on the album does not fit the "wooden leg" narrative, so lots of people conveniently forget that he plays on most of the tracks.

He was even on "Sympathy" playing bagpipes, but it got wiped.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2013 11:50

Bagpipes? Where dah funk did yah get that from? grinning smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 13, 2013 16:36

sonomastone
winter
tatters

I agree.
Bb/lib/sf/exile are the Keith golden era

I don't think you can include 'Sticky Fingers' on that list...Jagger & Taylor seemed to have a collusion and controlled a lot of it. It's almost as of Keith took a break during the creating and recording, except on certain tracks.

Date: July 13, 2013 17:05

As long as they're Mick and Keith-songs, we'll be fine thumbs up

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:34

Simplest thing would just be count each SONG.. forget about which album that song was on. Who was on each recorded track?

Someone else can count.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home