Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: 2014 KINKS 50th anniversary, will the band do anything?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:39

MOJO 236 --- July 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2013 15:00

jiggysawdust
keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust
I work for Dave and I think a Kinks reunion could definitely happen.

you work for him now?

I do.

tell him the new album is awesome

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 19, 2013 15:13

bonddm
I think a reunion of The Kinks Mk.2(Ray,Dave,Avory,Dalton,Gosling) could cut it.Avory and Dalton play regularly in the Kast Off Kinks and Gosling still makes occasional cameos.There may be some bad blood between Dave and the other guys as he reportedly stopped The Kast Off Kinks from touring the US, as he and Ray have control of the band name.

always wondered why the kast off kinks never play the US. do they only control the name in the US but not UK?

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 19, 2013 15:24

I think they control it everywhere but my guess would be Dave didn't want them gigging in the US around the same time as his solo gigs.The proposed tour was in the early 2000's.

Date: June 19, 2013 15:41

Interesting. I hope he is doing okay healthwise.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: June 19, 2013 17:04

keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust
keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust

you work for him now?

I do.

I will, thanks!

Date: June 19, 2013 17:05

Dave performing "You Really Got Me" on June 1, 2013:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 19, 2013 18:01

Doesn't seem to encouraging by that clip, Dave seems to be struggling with playing and singing at the same time...

Since you work for him, which is quite interesting! How is he health wise?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 19, 2013 18:23

Thanks Rockman for posting this article and great painting by Dave Davies. Exhibit Dave his art-works?
The Kinks made so many great albums since The Sixties and the Ray Davies concert in Amsterdam some time ago was great.

The Kinks I' m not like everybody else;

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-20 16:05 by runaway.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:27

whitem8
Doesn't seem to encouraging by that clip, Dave seems to be struggling with playing and singing at the same time...

He's doing incredibly well, considering what he's been through. That he can sing or play at all is really a miracle. Thousands of people were extremely happy to see him on his recent tour.

Date: June 19, 2013 21:02

That is good to hear! I hope that he continues to recover and discovered the source of the stroke.

Dave seems like a very down to earth and interesting guy. Would love to see him and Ray get back together. Also would love to see Dave live!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 19, 2013 21:18

It would be great to see them both playing live

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:08

keefriffhard4life
NICOS
"50 and still Kinky" the last hit that I remember is Lola (ok there was another one can't recall) ............great band though

probably "come dancing"

That's the one...thanks kfffhd4l

Date: June 20, 2013 00:15

jiggysawdust
whitem8

He's doing incredibly well, considering what he's been through. That he can sing or play at all is really a miracle. Thousands of people were extremely happy to see him on his recent tour.

glad he is doing ok. wish he would come somewhere near richmond virginia this tour

Date: June 20, 2013 00:19

jiggysawdust
keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust
keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust

you work for him now?

I do.

I will, thanks!

welcome. no lie this might be this best dave solo album yet other than the one he recorded a bunch of songs for in the late 60's but it never came out until it was cobbled together a few years ago

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 20, 2013 02:20

keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust
keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust
keefriffhard4life
jiggysawdust

you work for him now?

I do.

Ray is on record as saying that he's open to it happening so I hope so.....should start with Dave's local area in the SW !!!!

I will, thanks!

welcome. no lie this might be this best dave solo album yet other than the one he recorded a bunch of songs for in the late 60's but it never came out until it was cobbled together a few years ago

Satisfied since 1976

Date: June 25, 2013 13:14

just picked up the kinks 6 cd career encompassing boxset titled PICTURE BOOK. if you have nothing by the kinks this is the one thing to own. if you have a lot of their stuff like me there are only like 22 songs that were unavailable on other kinks releases when this boxset came out in 2008 and since then the kinks have been releasing 2 cd sets of their 60's albums so right now the boxset only has about 8 songs unavailable elsewhere. some song selections are a bit odd though. we get the demo version of "apeman" and "come dancing" instead of the famous hit single versions even though this is the only place the demo of "come dancing" was released. i would have liked to have the long rumored studio version "when i turn off the living room light" but they didn't even include the widely available BBC version and this is a great song. what about the songs "new world" or "look through any doorway" which were only on the DID YA E.P. from 1991? speaking of that what about the song "did ya" from that same E.P.? several charting hits are also missing "wonderboy", "plastic man", "dandy"., "(wish i could fly like)superman", "don't forget to dance" and "rock n roll cities". i would have liked some more live material as well because the kinks really shined live. as a hardcore fan i guess i could go on but still a great buy

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:41

The Come Dancing demo is also on the recent (2011) 3-disc compilation The Kinks Kollected.

Date: June 26, 2013 00:46

stonehearted
The Come Dancing demo is also on the recent (2011) 3-disc compilation The Kinks Kollected.

oh yeah i forgot that though it was actually a mistake by the label. it was supposed to be the regular version.

Date: June 26, 2013 01:30

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

oh yeah i forgot that though it was actually a mistake by the label. it was supposed to be the regular version.

Really, it was a mistake by the label? Well, I'm glad for it, because it took me by surprise. I hadn't heard it before, and it was refreshing.

Does this mean The Kinks Kollected with that demo of Come Dancing will become a rare collector's item? Surely the label would consider correcting its mistake for a reissue at some point.

Date: June 26, 2013 02:19

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Really, it was a mistake by the label? Well, I'm glad for it, because it took me by surprise. I hadn't heard it before, and it was refreshing.

Does this mean The Kinks Kollected with that demo of Come Dancing will become a rare collector's item? Surely the label would consider correcting its mistake for a reissue at some point.

i don't think it will be corrected. this is the same label that had a hand in the 6 cd PICTURE BOOK boxset so they had access to the demo version. i was told by the person who runs the best kinks fan website that the label did it by accident which is why its on the SINGLES 1969-1989 cd and not disc 3 which is the rare tracks, album cuts and b-sides cd.

Date: June 26, 2013 02:28

keefriffhard4life
the best kinks fan website

You mean kindakinks.net? That is a great site!

Date: June 26, 2013 03:09

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
the best kinks fan website

You mean kindakinks.net? That is a great site!

yes that website.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 26, 2013 03:30

filstan
that, but the body of quality work he penned was really amazing, and the records the Kinks released were all solid. Some brilliant.

That's what gives me hope. Dave said in '08, well after his stroke, "I wouldn't mind or rather consider doing some shows with Ray purely in respect for the great body of work we have both been fortunate to have been involved in over the years. And for the fans of course."

So who knows? Whatever the source of the bitterness, I'd hope that in their old age, they'd see things differently. Dave seems like a tough nut to crack, and Ray may well be all the horrors that Dave describes. Stubborn bastards, hope they get over it.

Date: June 26, 2013 03:36

may 31st 2013 dave davies says kinks reunion in some way possible next year:

[blogs.mcall.com]

Date: June 26, 2013 04:49

Very optimistic interview! Which bodes well for a possible reunion. That is fantastic news and I really do hope they can burry the drama, and get something together for the fans.

The film sounds interesting as well. Interesting in that it is described as a film with a script and not a documentary. I wish they would put together a great anthology styled documentary with interviews, videos and live clips. Could be fantastic.

Date: June 26, 2013 06:18

whitem8
Very optimistic interview! Which bodes well for a possible reunion. That is fantastic news and I really do hope they can burry the drama, and get something together for the fans.

The film sounds interesting as well. Interesting in that it is described as a film with a script and not a documentary. I wish they would put together a great anthology styled documentary with interviews, videos and live clips. Could be fantastic.

a documentary would be nice. a new album would be great. if you take drop the 6 weakest tunes from ray's 2 solo albums and replace them with the strongest tunes from daves solo albums we could have had 2 great kinks album in the 2000's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 06:19 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: June 26, 2013 07:57

i guess research and cost went into the 6 cd PICTURE BOOK boxset but after listening to it the kinks really needed it to be 7 or even 8 cd's to get the entire picture. the 60's and classic run of albums up until MUSWELL HILLBILLIES is covered very nicely with 3 discs. the mid 70's odd rock opera material is covered pretty well in 1 cd although there are 2-3 tunes from that period missing. the late 70's/early 80's arena comeback era is only given 1 cd and a few tunes are missing. finally the MCA/90's are given 1 disc and even though this is one of the weaker periods in the band i think it gets the short end of the stick here. only 1 song from THINK VISUAL and 1 from UK JIVE. 5 from PHOBIA which is great but one of the singles and most popular tracks are left off. the short changing of the kinks live material is a shame too. here is what i think should have been added to make it a 7 cd set:
1 dandy
2 plastic man
3 wonderboy
4 starstruck
5 monica (bbc version)
6 mindles child of motherhood (bbc version)
7 when i turn off the living room light (bbc version or unreleased studio version)
8 the hard way
9 juke box music
10 prince of punks (live ONE FOR THE ROAD version)
11 (wish i could fly like) superman (live ONE FOR THE ROAD version)
12 lost and found
13 rock n roll cities
14 it (i want it) (live THE ROAD version)
15 give the people what they want (live THE ROAD version)
16 how do i get close
17 did ya
18 new world
19 hatred (a duet)
20 don't forget to dance (live TO THE BONE VERSION)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 07:58 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: June 26, 2013 08:32

whitem8

When I was at Dave's house in UK last month, Julien Temple stopped by, I assume they discussed the Kinks film.

Date: June 26, 2013 08:36

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

i don't think it will be corrected. this is the same label that had a hand in the 6 cd PICTURE BOOK boxset so they had access to the demo version. i was told by the person who runs the best kinks fan website that the label did it by accident which is why its on the SINGLES 1969-1989 cd and not disc 3 which is the rare tracks, album cuts and b-sides cd.

I just finished listening to disc 3 and was reminded that the version of To The Bone also sounds like a demo, as it's not the one from the album.

I'm all the more glad to have Kinks Kollekted for these demos. It really is a great collection. I listened to all 3 discs tonight back-to-back-to-back.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home