Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: 2014 KINKS 50th anniversary, will the band do anything?
Date: June 26, 2013 08:39

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
The Come Dancing demo is also on the recent (2011) 3-disc compilation The Kinks Kollected.

oh yeah i forgot that though it was actually a mistake by the label. it was supposed to be the regular version.

Really, it was a mistake by the label? Well, I'm glad for it, because it took me by surprise. I hadn't heard it before, and it was refreshing.

Does this mean The Kinks Kollected with that demo of Come Dancing will become a rare collector's item? Surely the label would consider correcting its mistake for a reissue at some point.

i don't think it will be corrected. this is the same label that had a hand in the 6 cd PICTURE BOOK boxset so they had access to the demo version. i was told by the person who runs the best kinks fan website that the label did it by accident which is why its on the SINGLES 1969-1989 cd and not disc 3 which is the rare tracks, album cuts and b-sides cd.

I just finished listening to disc 3 and was reminded that the version of To The Bone also sounds like a demo, as it's not the one from the album.

I'm all the more glad to have Kinks Kollekted for these demos. It really is a great collection. I listened to all 3 discs tonight back-to-back-to-back.

yes the demo for TO THE BONE is also on the PICTURE BOOK boxset. i think its funny the COME DANCING demo sounds like a straight up reggae song but the final version and when they did it live sounded more like a regular rock tune with a slight reggae influence.

ray davies imo is easily the best songwriter from the 60's british invasion. yes better than lennon or mccartney or jagger or richards or jimmy page and slightly better than pete townshend.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2013 08:45

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
The Come Dancing demo is also on the recent (2011) 3-disc compilation The Kinks Kollected.

oh yeah i forgot that though it was actually a mistake by the label. it was supposed to be the regular version.

Really, it was a mistake by the label? Well, I'm glad for it, because it took me by surprise. I hadn't heard it before, and it was refreshing.

Does this mean The Kinks Kollected with that demo of Come Dancing will become a rare collector's item? Surely the label would consider correcting its mistake for a reissue at some point.

i don't think it will be corrected. this is the same label that had a hand in the 6 cd PICTURE BOOK boxset so they had access to the demo version. i was told by the person who runs the best kinks fan website that the label did it by accident which is why its on the SINGLES 1969-1989 cd and not disc 3 which is the rare tracks, album cuts and b-sides cd.

I just finished listening to disc 3 and was reminded that the version of To The Bone also sounds like a demo, as it's not the one from the album.

I'm all the more glad to have Kinks Kollekted for these demos. It really is a great collection. I listened to all 3 discs tonight back-to-back-to-back.

yes the demo for TO THE BONE is also on the PICTURE BOOK boxset. i think its funny the COME DANCING demo sounds like a straight up reggae song but the final version and when they did it live sounded more like a regular rock tune with a slight reggae influence.

ray davies imo is easily the best songwriter from the 60's british invasion. yes better than lennon or mccartney or jagger or richards or jimmy page and slightly better than pete townshend.

In terms of a longevity of quality and prolific output, he certainly does seem to have the edge above all the other names you mentioned

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 26, 2013 08:52

keefriffhard4life
i the mid 70's odd rock opera material is covered pretty well in 1 cd although there are 2-3 tunes from that period missing.

I'd say there were a lot more than that.

I love Preservation Act II, and I can't believe they left out "He's Evil." "Scum of the Earth," "Oh Where Oh Where Is Love?" or "Salvation Road," and instead put in the lackluster "Artificial Man." The alternate mix of "Mirror of Love" is interesting for fans like myself, but not as compelling as the original. "Money Talks" from that album is one of my favorite Kinks songs ever. 39 years later, I still fondly recall their spirited performance of it on NBC's Midnight Special TV show.

Schoolboys in Disgrace is also short-changed. Lots of great songs on that one. "Schooldays." "I'm In Disgrace." "The Hard Way." "Education" is epic, and with it's singalong finale of "Everybody needs ED-U-KAY-SHUN!!" it got airplay originally, but should have become an FM staple. It should have been programed as a counter-point to "Another Brick in the Wall"

Speaking of walls, I was never a big fan of Soap Opera, but they left off the best track on it: "Ducks On the Wall."

While I think they dropped the ball on that period of the Kinks, I still give them credit for leaving off that later disco song about Superman. I think it was supposed to be a parody of pandering...but it was still painful.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2013 09:03

loog droog
that later disco song about Superman. I think it was supposed to be a parody of pandering...but it was still painful.

Superman rocked pretty straight and solid in concert.

Ever hear the 2005 remix versions (Club Remix and Kryptonite Remix)? I'd post them, but they're only available as Mp3s. Here's a link where you can find them:

[www.sortmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 09:16 by stonehearted.

Date: June 26, 2013 09:41

loog droog
keefriffhard4life
i the mid 70's odd rock opera material is covered pretty well in 1 cd although there are 2-3 tunes from that period missing.

I'd say there were a lot more than that.

I love Preservation Act II, and I can't believe they left out "He's Evil." "Scum of the Earth," "Oh Where Oh Where Is Love?" or "Salvation Road," and instead put in the lackluster "Artificial Man." The alternate mix of "Mirror of Love" is interesting for fans like myself, but not as compelling as the original. "Money Talks" from that album is one of my favorite Kinks songs ever. 39 years later, I still fondly recall their spirited performance of it on NBC's Midnight Special TV show.

Schoolboys in Disgrace is also short-changed. Lots of great songs on that one. "Schooldays." "I'm In Disgrace." "The Hard Way." "Education" is epic, and with it's singalong finale of "Everybody needs ED-U-KAY-SHUN!!" it got airplay originally, but should have become an FM staple. It should have been programed as a counter-point to "Another Brick in the Wall"

Speaking of walls, I was never a big fan of Soap Opera, but they left off the best track on it: "Ducks On the Wall."

While I think they dropped the ball on that period of the Kinks, I still give them credit for leaving off that later disco song about Superman. I think it was supposed to be a parody of pandering...but it was still painful.

i take it you own the boxset? thats why i said it should be 7 or even 8 cd's. everyone has a favorite song or album by the band that others may dislike. until you said so i didn't even notice "money talks" was missing from the set. i do like the preservation albums a lot and was lucky one of my favorite songs "daylight" made the boxset. i think school boys in disgrace is underrated and you saw the song "the hard way" was included in my list of songs that should have been added. i was shocked no bonus tracks were added to school boys or GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT when the albums were remastered and expanded. not a big fan of the song "ducks on the wall" though.

finally i did mention "superman" but i wanted the live version from ONE FOR THE ROAD included which as stonehearted pointed out is a little less disco soundging. since a 2 cd MUSWELL HILLBILLIES is coming out i wonder if they are going to release 2 cd deluxe editions of every album up until the MCA years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 09:42 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 31, 2013 18:51

Yes I know this off topic, but I am curious to know if anyone has heard any news about when Lola vs Powerman and Moneyground deluxe edition remaster will be released? Has anyone bought the Muswell Hillbillies deluxe edition, and if so how does it rate? I have the SACD version of MH, but have not yet purchased the recently released deluxe edition. Any thoughts or sonic reviews?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 31, 2013 18:59

I was interested in the MH deluxe but unfortunately only available in the US as an import, which means good luck finding it. To my knowledge Lolo has never been remastered and I'm really hoping that it does because it's by far my favorite Kinks album.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:07

Cant understand why the Davies brothers don't use the Kast-Off Kinks- all long term ex-members (I think currently its Avory-Rodford-Gibbons with John Dalton frequently subbing)- who are still out there regularly playing the classic repertoire and would be ready to go with very little prep. I hear the Kast-Offs are excellent and aren't they entitled since its the 50th Anniversary of the band?

Date: October 31, 2013 19:31

Maindefender
I was interested in the MH deluxe but unfortunately only available in the US as an import, which means good luck finding it. To my knowledge Lolo has never been remastered and I'm really hoping that it does because it's by far my favorite Kinks album.

I'm with you about Lola vs Powerman and the Moneyground. A great, great record.I have a first US pressing that is mint and it sounds phenomenal. Even the cd I have sounds quite good. I heard this album is on the list to become a deluxe edition along with Something Else and Muswell Hillbillies which are now both available.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:32

roryfaninva
Cant understand why the Davies brothers don't use the Kast-Off Kinks- all long term ex-members (I think currently its Avory-Rodford-Gibbons with John Dalton frequently subbing)- who are still out there regularly playing the classic repertoire and would be ready to go with very little prep. I hear the Kast-Offs are excellent and aren't they entitled since its the 50th Anniversary of the band?

Yes, they should, and I'm under the impression its Dave's fault. Ray has played with them before, and he's not promoting anything on his own so I don't think he has any reason to not want to do The Kinks. On the other hand, Dave still holds animosity towards him and probably can't play as well as he used to 10 years ago. I think he's the sole one holding it back.

Date: October 31, 2013 19:45

filstan
Yes I know this off topic, but I am curious to know if anyone has heard any news about when Lola vs Powerman and Moneyground deluxe edition remaster will be released? Has anyone bought the Muswell Hillbillies deluxe edition, and if so how does it rate? I have the SACD version of MH, but have not yet purchased the recently released deluxe edition. Any thoughts or sonic reviews?

there are still plans for the 2 cd lola and a possible 2 or 3 cd set of everybody's in show biz.

lola was remastered once with 3 bonus tracks on castle/sanctuary. the bonus tracks were 2 demo's and the alternate version of "lola". anyways if the 2 cd set ever comes out rumor is it will have these 3 same bonus tracks, some BBC stuff, the soundtrack PERCY and a few unreleased things.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 31, 2013 20:04

Dave is playing at the City Winery in NY (again) as well as other venues. Ray was at Barnes and Noble in NYC last Friday promoting his new book, and he said there is zero chance they will get together.

Date: October 31, 2013 20:32

keefriffhard4life
filstan

there are still plans for the 2 cd lola and a possible 2 or 3 cd set of everybody's in show biz.

lola was remastered once with 3 bonus tracks on castle/sanctuary. the bonus tracks were 2 demo's and the alternate version of "lola". anyways if the 2 cd set ever comes out rumor is it will have these 3 same bonus tracks, some BBC stuff, the soundtrack PERCY and a few unreleased things.

Thanks for the info. I never saw the Castle/Sanctuary release. Guess I'll wait for the next deluxe edition incarnation of Lola. Any site where updates might be found?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 31, 2013 20:48

filstan
keefriffhard4life
filstan

Thanks for the info. I never saw the Castle/Sanctuary release. Guess I'll wait for the next deluxe edition incarnation of Lola. Any site where updates might be found?

This site has lots of Kinks stuff. You may want to keep an eye out:
[kindakinks.net]

Date: October 31, 2013 21:59

filstan
keefriffhard4life
filstan

yeah that link that was provided in the post above this is a good one. also the steve hoffman forum is good. supposedly a slight shake up with the label is the reason for the delays of the deluxe project and why only muswell hillbillies came out and none of the others were with it like before. live at kelvin hall was also a possibility but has since been scrapped

Date: October 31, 2013 22:52

keefriffhard4life
filstan
keefriffhard4life
filstan

yeah that link that was provided in the post above this is a good one. also the steve hoffman forum is good. supposedly a slight shake up with the label is the reason for the delays of the deluxe project and why only muswell hillbillies came out and none of the others were with it like before. live at kelvin hall was also a possibility but has since been scrapped

Again, many thanks for your input.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 1, 2013 06:18

Maindefender

Muswell Hillbillies is easy to find on www.amazon.co.uk. I get shipments from them in the States regularly. Delivery can take a week or two, but I often save a lot of money.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 1, 2013 07:01

I got Muswell from amazon.co.uk. Arrived in a week.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 1, 2013 16:59

ab
Maindefender

Muswell Hillbillies is easy to find on www.amazon.co.uk. I get shipments from them in the States regularly. Delivery can take a week or two, but I often save a lot of money.

Thanks AB, I've never bought from Amazon.UK but will consider.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 1, 2013 17:21

Amazon UK is actually cheaper than the Amazon US when it comes to releases like this. I think it was 30 something on Amazon US, yet even with shipping it only cost 22 or 25 from Amazon UK.
Its definetly worth getting it, some great stuff on it!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 7, 2013 18:45

I posted this in the Cutting Room thread, you Kinks fans might be interested. Mick T and Dave at the Cutting Room yesterday:

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 8, 2013 00:26

Muswell Hillbillies is an amazing album, and the deluxe version has made it even better. At least they're concentrating on their reissues, which is good.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: November 8, 2013 00:35

bleedingman
Dave is playing at the City Winery in NY (again) as well as other venues. Ray was at Barnes and Noble in NYC last Friday promoting his new book, and he said there is zero chance they will get together.

Be warned- saw him at same venue a few months ago and he not very good. Kept starting and stopping songs; really has no voice.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: November 8, 2013 01:05

Interesting and funny Dave quote from a recent RS article:

"That said, I really do want to do something with Ray before we both decay and decompose. I said to Ray last week, 'We don't have much time left.' But he didn't . . . Ray, what an @#$%& he is."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: November 8, 2013 01:33

Time to let it go- they waited too late to do The Kinks legacy justice. Like Rod and The Faces. Ten years ago maybe.......

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home