Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
through the lonely nights
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 4, 2013 21:53

I think , one of the best stones ballads of all time. Whats your opinion?

Re: through the lonely nights
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:17

The mix has always been a problem for me. Muddy, even the official release.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:21

It was the B-side of IORR at the time,and I do like it

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:22

I love that muddiness. It gives a raw, almost demo feel, as opposed to polished.
And I agree, Havo.
It's one of their best - I love the chorus and than that hook 'Everytime I see ya..'
And the fadeout....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:24

Havo

Its decent, but to say its one of their best ever ballads is a heck of a stretch.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:37

Havo

A piece of crap.

Date: November 4, 2013 22:40

Please do not insult me.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:47

to his Majesty stones weakest album was "satanic"back in 1967. i was so dissapointed. Ok--"2000 Man" hear once in a year!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:53

Havo
to his Majesty stones weakest album was "satanic"back in 1967. i was so dissapointed. Ok--"2000 Man" hear once in a year!

ok.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 4, 2013 23:13

They should have make 10 takes more and remove the irritating sounding organ (or whatever it is)......song it self isn't that bad

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 4, 2013 23:30

I have never heard that before. Definitely has that Goat's Head sound. Now I've heard all the official tracks, to my knowledge. Thanks, runaway.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 5, 2013 00:02

An outtake, nothing more, nothing less.

Mathijs

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 5, 2013 00:55

Mathijs

Mathijs

Please allow me to add...'good' outtake at least.
Many tracks become out-takes for lack of room on and album
at a particular time and or reason. It's worthy of being placed on an album.
I'm sure I could find a spot somewhere that it would fit or a song or two it could have bumped.

I think it's a pretty good one from Jagger/Richards.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 5, 2013 00:58

I can't find any background on this song. The bass sounds too cluttered and unfocused to be Bill. I like the vocals. It's not a bad B-side.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 5, 2013 01:03

I collected 45's back in the 80's and really wanted this for the non-b-side. Once I tracked one down I thought it was great. I often wondered however, if I was a bit clouded in judgment because it was a bit rare and such. If this was just another track on IORR I probably wouldn't have thought it was so great - or maybe I would have??

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 5, 2013 02:03

Like other posters here I hadn't heard it before--because unless you bought the 45 at the time, how would you have even known about it?

I suspect Mick wrote it around the same time as he wrote Winter, because after about the 3-minute mark the song reminds me of the playout to Winter, the same sort of vocal intonations and vaguely the same melody. But the playout of Winter is far more effective, whereas this song sounds derivative.

It's not a terrible song, but it just doesn't distinguish itself as anything more than generic, though it fulfills the purpose that a B-side should.

But I can see why it never made it as an album track. Had this been included on Tattoo You, it would have been cited as that album's one weak point.

Posted by: doster ()
Date: November 5, 2013 02:21

I've always loved the track. I remember flipping the A side and playing it over and over again.
Probably wouldn't have made the album due to the other slow songs, it's a wonderful relatively unknown song.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 5, 2013 03:12

I think it was a perfect b-side, but no way would I put it up their with their greatest ballads -- not even close, sorry!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 5, 2013 04:12

stonehearted
Like other posters here I hadn't heard it before--because unless you bought the 45 at the time, how would you have even known about it?

I suspect Mick wrote it around the same time as he wrote Winter, because after about the 3-minute mark the song reminds me of the playout to Winter, the same sort of vocal intonations and vaguely the same melody. But the playout of Winter is far more effective, whereas this song sounds derivative.

It's not a terrible song, but it just doesn't distinguish itself as anything more than generic, though it fulfills the purpose that a B-side should.

But I can see why it never made it as an album track. Had this been included on Tattoo You, it would have been cited as that album's one weak point.

Yeah, there's nothing but stone cold classics on TY........eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 5, 2013 04:23

Mathijs

Mathijs

Come on Mathijs , it is a great 70's Stones track , better than a lot of material that is on Goats Head Soup or It's only Rock n Roll albums... Love Keith's wah wah (that's Keith right?) guitar and has a great outtro ... very underrated.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 5, 2013 04:34

stonehearted

It was on 'Rarities' in 2005.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2013 05:14

ThroughTheLonelyNights
Please do not insult me.

He said a 'piece of', not 'total crap'.

He only insulted you a bit therefore.

Date: November 5, 2013 05:16

StonesCat
stonehearted

Yeah, there's nothing but stone cold classics on TY........eye rolling smiley

Actually that's mostly true, and BTW don't give us that look! angry smiley

Date: November 5, 2013 05:16

Gazza
stonehearted

I own a copy of Rarities, so I have actually heard it before--a testament to the flatness of the song, at least for me.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 5, 2013 05:26

A friend of mine knew Taylor when he was living in LA in the late '80s. THis was when CD were coming in and vinyl was bing replaced, pretty rapidly. Anyway, I had the 45 and my friend asked me to make a copy of this song for Taylor: He didn't have a copy and couldn't find it anywhere.

Date: November 5, 2013 05:30

^ It sounds like Taylor played bass on it. The bass lines are a bit too guitar-noodly and non-bottom-heavy to be played by Bill.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: November 5, 2013 06:26

I love it and always thought it was on of the Stones best ballads, a mistake not put it on LP and on the other side of a single (A side) The mix is perfect for the song.

Date: November 5, 2013 06:54

stonehearted
Gazza
stonehearted

I own a copy of Rarities, so I have actually heard it before--a testament to the flatness of the song, at least for me.

I think it's a fine song, but I think people way oversell it. It is in no way their best ballad, I'm sure wouldn't crack the top ten.

Date: November 5, 2013 06:56

treaclefingers
I think it's a fine song, but I think people way oversell it. It is in no way their best ballad, I'm sure wouldn't crack the top ten.

It's a B-side--that's all.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 5, 2013 09:06

Loudei
Mathijs

Mathijs

Come on Mathijs , it is a great 70's Stones track , better than a lot of material that is on Goats Head Soup or It's only Rock n Roll albums... Love Keith's wah wah (that's Keith right?) guitar and has a great outtro ... very underrated.

Nope, I find it all very cliche -the music, the lyrics, the wah, the solo. It's just not very original in any way, it sounds a bit too much like a joke. With a track like Faraway Eyes the joke worked, but not here. It's also produced badly, overprocessed and distorted.

Several tracks of IORR just are on the border of being cliche (If You Really Want To Be My Friend for example), and Through TLN crosses that border.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home