Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: 2014 KINKS 50th anniversary, will the band do anything?
Date: June 18, 2013 13:16

Next year the Kinks officially turn 50. Anyone think the band or at least the Davies brothers will do anything to mark the occasion?

Re: OT: 2014 KINKS 50th anniversary, will the band do anything?
Date: June 18, 2013 13:17

I really hope they will do something.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 18, 2013 13:20

I don´t really think so...animosities among the brothers still very strong, and if you listen to Dave´s last gigs, Ray is better off with his current bad, sad as it may be...and I´m a big big Kinks fan, travelling a lot to see Ray (and, until 2004 even Dave) and did a lot of interviews.

Date: June 18, 2013 13:22

RawIguanaCologne
I don´t really think so...animosities among the brothers still very strong, and if you listen to Dave´s last gigs, Ray is better off with his current bad, sad as it may be...and I´m a big big Kinks fan, travelling a lot to see Ray (and, until 2004 even Dave) and did a lot of interviews.

dave can still play the guitar though

Date: June 18, 2013 13:51

If it happens, I would be glad. But there´s too much tension, and a tour with those guys would not go with such a financial appeal as it does with a Stones tour.

Date: June 18, 2013 13:54

RawIguanaCologne
If it happens, I would be glad. But there´s too much tension, and a tour with those guys would not go with such a financial appeal as it does with a Stones tour.

doesn't even have to be a tour. they can do just 1 show in england and record it for a dvd. they have already released and continue to release som much archival material i doubt anything is left as far as releasing something like that for the 50th anniversary goes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 13:54 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: June 18, 2013 14:04

Yes, sure they could do one show and record it, but - would it be good? Would Avory join them?

The fascinating bout the KINKS live was captured in a few albums (One For The Road f.e.) when they were really a touring band, and could nail it.

Even the Stones play probably better now than at their first Trabendo gig last year. You need to tour to make it happen imho

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 18, 2013 14:24

They are reissuing Muswell Hillbillies as a 2cd set in August 2013.

Date: June 18, 2013 14:55

tomcasagranda

yup. lola is coming too i heard with a few bonus tracks and the 2nd disc i heard was just the percy soundtrack with some bonus tracks. i wonder if they are going to release every album up until the mid 80's as 2 cd sets?

Date: June 18, 2013 14:57

RawIguanaCologne
Yes, sure they could do one show and record it, but - would it be good? Would Avory join them?

The fascinating bout the KINKS live was captured in a few albums (One For The Road f.e.) when they were really a touring band, and could nail it.

Even the Stones play probably better now than at their first Trabendo gig last year. You need to tour to make it happen imho
they can't be that out of practice. remember all the guys they would get on stage with them still play as the kast off kinks and ray has joined them on stage so its just adding dave back in the mic

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 18, 2013 15:24

keefriffhard4life
Next year the Kinks officially turn 50. Anyone think the band or at least the Davies brothers will do anything to mark the occasion?

would love to see them back again..reading recent interviews it doesn't appear it will happen...sounds like Dave still holds a grudge

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 18, 2013 15:27

tomcasagranda

Fantastic news - one of my favourite ever albums. I bet there's no more studio stuff in the can so it will probably be a live gig from around that time.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 18, 2013 15:43

RawIguanaCologne
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I'd love it and hope it happens, but it seems so doubtful. They seem to still really not like each other, and Dave can't seem to get over it at all. Sad, even moreso because you have to feel that its more than a band. Its a family that can't seem to come together.

Date: June 18, 2013 16:56

good news is dave davies new album is great

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 18, 2013 17:57

closest thing i have found to this place for the Kinks:

[www.kindakinks.net]

hopefully Ray will come bqck to the states with or without Dave;
in a very different way, he is almost the showman Mick is.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 18, 2013 18:01

RawIguanaCologne
Yes, sure they could do one show and record it, but - would it be good? Would Avory join them?...

I read (and this may not be true) that the last time the brothers discussed the Kinks Mick was the stumbling block, Ray wanted him and Dave didn't.

It's always possible, but unlikely. I do understand Dave's feelings about Ray dominating the group but, to be fair, he was the main talent and any record company and promoter is going to want Ray singing and leading the band.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 18:08

always been a great kinks fan, but they split up in '95. they spent 31 years in business, for me the 50th stones anniversary is the only anniversary (as a band) that has a real meaning.
kinks, beach boys and any others can celebrate 50 years from their foundation, not 50 years of carreer, and for me it makes a big difference.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: June 18, 2013 18:48

Dave was considering playing a run at Beacon Theater in NYC with The Kinks in late 2004 before he had a stroke that Summer.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 18, 2013 20:28

It would be great to see these guys back on stage. I would say the chances are slim based on Ray-Dave relationship, but anything is possible.

I am reading a fairly new book on the Kinks The Story of the Kinks by Nick Hasted. I am half way through ,but have enjoyed it thus far.

The Kinks were always very underrated. Ray was probably the most creative songwriter from England when the Kinks were in their heyday.Many would debate that, but the body of quality work he penned was really amazing, and the records the Kinks released were all solid. Some brilliant.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 18, 2013 22:50

The Hasted book is good.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:15

Dave recently said a reunion might happen. If they can find time, since they both have solo projects. That's an improvement in his attitude of the past several years.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:25

"50 and still Kinky" the last hit that I remember is Lola (ok there was another one can't recall) ............great band though

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:34

Ray and his band ,of course will be at Hyde Park on day before Stones 2nd gig. I know a few from IORR will be there. Would love to be there myself but will be in Spain at that time. winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:49

I find it utterly ridiculous that the Kinks failed to release a single studio album in the UK after '67 that charted. Why did the British record-buying public send Lola and Apeman to the higher-reaches of the UK singles chart, but not think to purchase their LP's? It's beyond bizare.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:56

NICOS
... there was another one can't recall...great band though

this one ?

but there's more than one Nico winking smiley

HMN

Date: June 19, 2013 00:22

NICOS
"50 and still Kinky" the last hit that I remember is Lola (ok there was another one can't recall) ............great band though

probably "come dancing"

Date: June 19, 2013 00:39

keefriffhard4life

probably "come dancing"

That was their last UK top-20 single, certainly. Their last top-ten in the UK was their final Pye release, Apeman.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:06

In America they had a lot more hits than in England. Come Dancing, Destroyer, were both top ten.

I would love to see the Kinks play a 50 year celebration. They could do it for sure! And fantastic news about Muswell!!! My favorite Kinks album, and simply astounding amalgamation of Blues, New Orleans, paranoia, and English music hall. Sublime!

Date: June 19, 2013 01:12

whitem8
In America they had a lot more hits than in England. Come Dancing, Destroyer, were both top ten.

True. It does seems that whilst their popularity in the UK started to wane a little, their popularity in America was on the rise.

Date: June 19, 2013 02:00

What about LOST AND FOUND? Did it not chart quite high?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home