Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT : Bob Dylan announces European tour autumn 2013
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 14, 2013 15:31

dcba
Gazza
lazzzybones
You either love Bob or you don't. Last time I saw him was '91.

Worst shows of his entire career. No wonder you didnt go back!

Yup : only the handful of US gigs Bob gave at the very end of 1991 are worth your attention.
I saw him in 1993, it was so-so but it didn't prevent me from giving another (bunch of) chance(s).

as erik mentions, one can argue that the sexton-campbell years (99-02) represent the pinnacle of dylan's live act. he mixed the format up...the arrangements were often fresh and exciting...and he still had a powerful vocal presence. all of that has slowly dissolved over the past decade. i can't help but believe his longtime fans who haven't jumped ship yet are in a bit of state of denial or just into hero-worshipping at this point.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 14, 2013 16:42

You're just trying to be funny again, StonesTod...

Date: June 14, 2013 16:45

Torres
You're just trying to be funny again, StonesTod...

never. but there is a first-time for everything.

Posted by: MitchSeaGull ()
Date: June 15, 2013 17:00

FOR ALL THE BOB DYLAN FANS, HAVE YOU HEARD HIS INCREDIBLE RADIO SHOW ON SIRIUS XM RADIO? BEST RADIO SHOW I HAVE EVER HEARD, AND DYLAN HAS A wonderful, funny PERSONALITY.

ANYONE WHO WANTS A FREE 1 MONTH SUB TO SIRIUSXM INTERNET RADIO, TELL ME. I THINK IT ONLY WORKS IN USA THOUGH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 17:02 by MitchSeaGull.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2013 23:22

couldn't hear ya Mitch....Dylan has a what sorta personality???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 15, 2013 23:33

I saw Bob Dylan with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as his backup band in 1987. It is for me the absolute worst concert from the headliner until now. I've not understand any word out of Bob's mouth. I perceived only "Knocking On Heaven's Door" as Tom Petty sung the backup vocals.

Bob Dylan is a good songwriter, no doubt. But as live performer, you can shoot him to the moon.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 15, 2013 23:39

Rockman
couldn't hear ya Mitch....Dylan has a what sorta personality???

LOL

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 01:08

Please do not post this kind of rubbish on a Rolling Stones Board PLEASE!!!!thumbs down

Date: June 16, 2013 01:39

I have only been to one Dylan concert where he basically didn't say anything, not a thing.
That radio series is a few years old but the guy is hysterically funny. He knows his music history. Of course he had about a staff of five people to find the music and help with the scripts. if you are a Dylan fan I assume you have listened to it already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 01:40 by MitchSeaGull.

Date: June 16, 2013 01:42

We are trying to persuade the Stones to do a cover version of Highway 61 Revisited.

If the Stones make a hit of it, it will be the 63rd Dylan Cover Song that makes it into the Top Ten.

Date: June 16, 2013 01:50

MitchSeaGull
I have only been to one Dylan concert where he basically didn't say anything, not a thing.
That radio series is a few years old but the guy is hysterically funny. He knows his music history. Of course he had about a staff of five people to find the music and help with the scripts. if you are a Dylan fan I assume you have listened to it already.

you assume correctly so you are posting this information superfluously. it's okay - i love superfluous material.

Date: June 16, 2013 01:52

How many people really have access to the radio shows unless you had the satellite service? I guess you can download a boot leg copy somewhere.

Re: Bob Dylan announces European tour autumn 2013
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 16, 2013 02:21

StonesTod
i was as big a dylan fan as there was for decades, but i jumped off the dylan fan wagon a few years ago when he got old and boring. his live show is tough to suffer through anymore. what happened to my bobby?????

He butchers his old tunes and barks or growls out half the vocals. His schedule shows so many dates without days of rest. His ragged voice obviously does not need rest at his advanced age with the way Dylan does his vocals. Someone told me all the ciggys he smoked ruined it

I would not go one of his shows if I was given free tickets. Just by way of contrast, if you go see Neil Young and Van Morrison you will see them do good renditions of their old tunes. Faithful enough for me to get into

Date: June 16, 2013 02:24

triceratops
StonesTod
i was as big a dylan fan as there was for decades, but i jumped off the dylan fan wagon a few years ago when he got old and boring. his live show is tough to suffer through anymore. what happened to my bobby?????

He butchers his old tunes and barks or growls out half the vocals. His schedule shows so many dates without days of rest. His ragged voice obviously does not need rest at his advanced age with the way Dylan does his vocals. Someone told me all the ciggys he smoked ruined it

I would not go one of his shows if I was given free tickets. Just by way of contrast, if you go see Neil Young and Van Morrison you will see them do good renditions of their old tunes. Faithful enough for me to get into

every word you speak is the gospel truth. i will put a word in you for sainthood. may you and all your kin live long prosperous lives.

Date: June 16, 2013 02:28

71Tele
StonesTod
Silver Dagger
StonesTod

StonesTod - stand back and take cover. I fear you may just have initiated a major shitstorm.

i doubt it. most knowledgable longtime fans agree with me.

You're right on this one. Love me some Bob, but instead of going to one of his mailed-in contemporary shows I'll just slip on Blonde On Blonde or Blood On The Tracks. Why does he bother to do it anymore? he doesn't seem to give a crap for the audience and his voice is completely gone.

I agree with all the criticism but look at his tour schedule. He is doing multiple dates in quite a few cities. So there is a demand for Dylan. So he will keep on touring because he enjoys performing and traveling I guess even at his age. There is money to made, not that Dylan needs any more but his musicians and support staff sure appreciate him going on tour. Just look at as Dylan is running for political office and is out campainging for votes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 02:30 by triceratops.

Date: June 16, 2013 02:29

triceratops
71Tele
StonesTod
Silver Dagger
StonesTod

StonesTod - stand back and take cover. I fear you may just have initiated a major shitstorm.

i doubt it. most knowledgable longtime fans agree with me.

You're right on this one. Love me some Bob, but instead of going to one of his mailed-in contemporary shows I'll just slip on Blonde On Blonde or Blood On The Tracks. Why does he bother to do it anymore? he doesn't seem to give a crap for the audience and his voice is completely gone.

I agree with all the criticism but look at his tour schedule. He is doing multiple dates in quite a few cities. So there is a demand for Dylan. So he will keep on touring because he enjoys performing and traveling I guess even at his age. There is money to made, not the Dylan needs any more but his musicians and support staff sure appreciate. Just look at as Dylan is running for political office and is out campainging for votes

let's vote him off the road

Date: June 16, 2013 02:40

BowieStone
I don't go to his gigs anymore to hear him.
I'm a huge fan of his band. Especially his drummer, George Receli.
Nearly every band he puts together is exciting.

He always gets the best up and comers and the not so up and comers. If you got Dylan off the stage or just assigned him harmonica duties the band might come up with some really interesting stuff. The music biz is tough these days, I am sure all Dylan's sidemen are happy to have this gig plus it's great exposure for their careers

Date: June 16, 2013 02:42

triceratops
BowieStone
I don't go to his gigs anymore to hear him.
I'm a huge fan of his band. Especially his drummer, George Receli.
Nearly every band he puts together is exciting.

He always gets the best up and comers and the not so up and comers. If you got Dylan off the stage or just assigned him harmonica duties the band might come up with some really interesting stuff. The music biz is tough these days, I am sure all Dylan's sidemen are happy to have this gig plus it's great exposure for their careers

garnier's been with him for a quarter-century. it IS his career.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 16, 2013 11:04

StonesTod
dcba
Gazza
lazzzybones
You either love Bob or you don't. Last time I saw him was '91.

Worst shows of his entire career. No wonder you didnt go back!

Yup : only the handful of US gigs Bob gave at the very end of 1991 are worth your attention.
I saw him in 1993, it was so-so but it didn't prevent me from giving another (bunch of) chance(s).

as erik mentions, one can argue that the sexton-campbell years (99-02) represent the pinnacle of dylan's live act. he mixed the format up...the arrangements were often fresh and exciting...and he still had a powerful vocal presence. all of that has slowly dissolved over the past decade. i can't help but believe his longtime fans who haven't jumped ship yet are in a bit of state of denial or just into hero-worshipping at this point.
freddy koella shows were great too... but then came stu kimball zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Date: June 16, 2013 15:05

kimball is actually a quality player....but what he does in this band even i could do. i can only guess stu lost a bet somewhere along the way and it forced him to hang out in this band for eternity.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 21:16

Sometimes it seems that he is in a rush and he wants to finish the songs as quick as possible. He ruins the atmosphere. And gives no space to the band members

Date: June 16, 2013 21:25

andrea66
Sometimes it seems that he is in a rush and he wants to finish the songs as quick as possible. He ruins the atmosphere. And gives no space to the band members

he's a grumpy old man. he'd do well to post on this board, come to think of it. be a good career move.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 16, 2013 22:00

Bob Dylan plays many nights in a row, sometimes a bit of rest would be helpful. StonesTod tries to post witty remarks every minute of the day, sometimes a bit of rest would be helpful. No offense meant.

Date: June 16, 2013 22:15

I don't know why all the complaints. No one is forcing you to attend his concerts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 16, 2013 22:24

I saw Dylan for the umpteenth time fairly recently at the Santa Barbara Bowl, and it was dismal at best.
As a matter of fact, the last 3 times I've seen him I always say "this is the last time dammit"...but this time I mean it dammit!!!

Gotta love Bob for being a trooper, but seeing him live nowadays is cruel and unusual punishment.

Date: June 16, 2013 22:35

I enjoy this clip, I hope to catch Dylan this fall.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2013 22:37

Hairball
I saw Dylan for the umpteenth time fairly recently at the Santa Barbara Bowl, and it was dismal at best.
As a matter of fact, the last 3 times I've seen him I always say "this is the last time dammit"...but this time I mean it dammit!!!

Gotta love Bob for being a trooper, but seeing him live nowadays is cruel and unusual punishment.

i was going to try to post a witty response, but my advisers have encouraged me to take a well-deserve break...

Date: June 16, 2013 22:38

StonesTod
Hairball

i was going to try to post a witty response, but my advisers have encouraged me to take a well-deserve break...

Roll on Tod!

Date: June 17, 2013 01:58

Hairball

You and me look at it this way but Bobby D is still packing them in. There is consumer demand for what he does on stage. Maybe we're wrong and Dylan's admiring throngs are right

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2013 03:58

Here's a 2012 "review" from the L.A. Times of Dylan at the Hollywood Bowl a few days after the Santa Barbara Bowl show I mentioned above.

Review: Bob Dylan at the Hollywood Bowl
October 27, 2012|By Randall Roberts, Los Angeles Times Pop Music Critic

DYLAN at Hollywood Bowl

What follows are a few random observations and notes about Bob Dylan’s set at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night.

--As a 15-song display of his work, Bob Dylan’s show was unimpeachable. Few of his fans could complain about one that began, for example, with his saucy “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” and ended with a frolic through “Blowin’ in the Wind.” In between he played “Tangled Up in Blue,” “Love Sick,” "Make You Feel My Love," “All Along the Watchtower,” and “Desolation Row,” among others.

--In August 1966, Duke Ellington performed at the Hollywood Bowl. He was then 67, four years younger than Dylan is now. That night, Ellington and his big band didn’t replicate the songs as he recorded them four decades earlier. He adapted them. In a document of that concert, few seemed upset about this.

--Way up in the Hollywood Bowl’s cheap seats on Friday, it was hard to tell whether the guy with the gutter-nasal voice was actually Dylan or a monster with indigestion. The artist ignored one of the basic requirements of a 2012 concert: a camera crew relaying every moment of action onto the big screens above. In fact, on Friday the jumbo screens featured a continual long-distance shot of the band onstage. It defeated the whole purpose of a video telecast by making the performance seem even farther away.

--A father with his teenage son, both equally excited. Three college-age girls, sitting tightly together and swaying back and forth to “Love Sick.” A mother walking with her adolescent daughter, who was wearing her new Dylan shirt. A lovely grandma and grandpa, snuggling beneath a blanket and trying to sing along to “Like a Rolling Stone.” Two Frenchmen eying the three college girls. A drunken diehard fan, attempting a duet during “All Along the Watchtower.” If you’ve seen Dylan in the last three decades, you know the futility of “singing along” with him.

--According to Bob Dylan’s official website he has headlined the Bowl three other times. The first was on Sept. 3, 1965, when he was 25. He’d gone electric at the Newport Folk Festival a month earlier. After opening with “She Belongs to Me” that night, he followed with an acoustic version of “To Ramona.” (Recordings of that show reveal that he had trouble tuning his guitar, but once he locked it in, he delivered the song gently.)

On Friday he also performed “To Ramona” as the second song of the night. He did so sitting at the piano doing it with his five piece band; he seldom plays the guitar onstage any more. He voice, ahem, has changed in the interim.

--We need Bob Dylan in 2012 more than he needs us. At least that's what it seems like he wants us to think.

--In theory, Dylan was touring behind his recent album “Tempest,” one of the better efforts of his 21st century work. Not that you could tell. Far removed from the constraints of album release cycles, the artist no longer pushes new music on his fans. Dylan didn’t play a single song from “Tempest.” He should have played “Soon After Midnight.”

--A superb harmonica player, these days Dylan the blower delivers more nuance through that instrument than through his voice. “Tangled Up in Blue” proved this on Friday; his harmonica solo was gorgeous. His solo during “Make You Feel My Love,” though, was lazy.

--Dylan has performed nearly 70 shows this year. His self-described “Never Ending Tour” just may be accurate. Therefore, he needs us as much as we need him.

--Those who complain that Dylan doesn’t perform his music like it sounds on record should understand that he didn’t do this in 1965, either. Though he didn’t play “Tombstone Blues” on Friday, even 47 years ago it was already morphing. He did, however, offer “Ballad of a Thin Man” on Friday, and sang it as though he were trying to clear his throat for the duration. It will never be clear again.

--The last time Dylan played the Bowl was in 1999, as part of his co-headlining tour with Paul Simon. Thirteen years later, guitarist Mark Knopfler and his band opened. They offered a beautiful set. Knopfler’s guitar tone is an exquisite, instantly recognizable creation. Knopfler was once called "the new Bob Dylan," and he survived it.

--When Dylan was at the Bowl in 1965, he called out to the crowd in search of a harmonica before “Like a Rolling Stone.” He had one at the ready on Friday.

Looks like this guy’s finally getting it together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-17 03:59 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home