Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- General Festival Question.
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2013 08:09

I am in America, therefore I don't know a whole lot about this festival, other than it's big. The Stones are my 1st, 2nd and 3rd favorite band, but I do enjoy many diversified types of music, especially as a musician. A friend and I were discussing this Sunday; After looking at a rundown of artists at each stage, there was at least one act(if not more) at each site that I would hate to miss! Can you move about well enough to take it all in? Is there sound bleed over? Physically speaking, how big is the fest? How many people total? Would it be reasonable to take in 3-4 shows in differing areas? Any input, or maybe things I haven't thought to ask would be appreciated!

Re: OT- General Festival Question.
Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: July 4, 2013 08:29

900 acres, attendance about 180000 people.
Some say that you can be there without attending a single show and still have the time of your life,that should give you an idea regarding what goes on at Glastonbury.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2013 08:56

Sounds like a Dead show I went to....lol. 900 acres...wow!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 4, 2013 10:21

Glastonbury is huger than most - but the idea at all festivals is that you can wander around and choose which artists you want to see, and the capacity of the venue should be calculated to allow for this without overcrowding. The big stages should be far enough apart (several minutes' walk) for other acts to be no more than remote background noise, and there will also be various informal stages in tents and bars, with smaller acts and DJ sessions.

This is the theory: in practice it must be a nightmare to plan everything so that the acoustic stage isn't next to a fairground ride, or some bar with a deafening sound system, for instance. Also to time the acts so that 10,000 people leaving the Big Top for the Main Stage don't collide with 25,000 people travelling in the opposite direction - which is why timings are different on different stages. Managing your timetable and factoring in eating-and-drinking time is up to you. A festival is not a stadium show where you stake out your spot at opening time and stay rooted to it for the next six hours - there should be people coming and going between acts and you can move closer. However, Hyde Park won't be a typical festival because so many people will only be there for the Stones, and won't want to move around and see other acts. Personally I'll try to see Vintage Trouble and Luke Sital-Singh as well as the main stage acts if I can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home