Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Security & the "Average Fan"
Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:01

On March 16, 1999 I took three people, who Mick would describe as “average fans”, to the then-First Union Center for the No Security Tour. As we all know there is a huge debate that there are songs that the average fan must hear to maximize their concert going experience. As a reminder, here’s the setlist from that night:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Respectable
5. Honky Tonk Women
6. Fool To Cry
7. Saint of Me
8. Some Girls
9. Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
10. You Got The Silver (Keith)
11. You Don't Have To Mean It (Keith)
12. Out Of Control
13. Route 66 (B-stage)
14. Get Off Of My Cloud (B-stage)
15. Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
16. Tumbling Dice
17. It's Only Rock'n Roll
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar
20. Sympathy for the Devil (encore)

Like every other show during the No Security, there is no Miss You or Satisfaction. Yesterday I spoke to each of them to get their thoughts on the show, now 14 years later.

The one guy still describes it as one of the greatest shows he’s ever seen. How can that be? They didn’t play every hit. His response – “A show needs a good mix. If I wanted all the hits I’d just put the CD on”.

My other friend really wanted to hear Memory Motel but was ecstatic that he heard songs he’d never heard before, like Some Girls & Fool To Cry. Going in he specifically hoped they didn’t play every hit.

The third guy was a little hazier about it all since he did some nitrous balloons followed by weed.

The point of this is simple – the argument that the average fan needs “x” number of hits is bullshit. Looking at the No Security setlist offers a great example of how to place lesser known material in the midst of hits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 17:03 by fahthree.

Re: No Security & the "Average Fan"
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:06

Just my opinion, but those setlists don't look that different from what we are getting this tour. They played about the same mix of alternate songs on that tour, and we get the same this time around.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:32

the Charlotte NC show on that tour had a great setlist. the show was fantastic.

I remember a long, jammy 'Some Girls'...lots of Jagger harp.. great versions of Keith songs ...Midnight Rambler the B stage...'Route 66' is one of my favorite covers, a great song for the Stones to do and they did it..

here's the setlist:

Jumping Jack Flash
Bitch
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Honky Tonk Women
Memory Motel
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Out Of Control
Route 66 (B-stage)
Just My Imagination (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)

Date: May 29, 2013 18:05

RollingFreak
Just my opinion, but those setlists don't look that different from what we are getting this tour. They played about the same mix of alternate songs on that tour, and we get the same this time around.

The difference is 9 warhoses for NS vs. 13 for the current tour. No Security ended with 6 in a row, this tour 9. The differences are subtle but they're there.

Cloud wasn't there every night. This show was its debut. It rotated with Whip and Imagination.

Interestingly enough the fans didn't burn the building with no Miss You or Satisfaction.

Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:08

I loved Undercover of the Night in No Security Tour shows, wish they'd do it this tour!!

Date: May 29, 2013 18:08

duke richardson
the Charlotte NC show on that tour had a great setlist. the show was fantastic.

I remember a long, jammy 'Some Girls'...lots of Jagger harp.. great versions of Keith songs ...Midnight Rambler the B stage...'Route 66' is one of my favorite covers, a great song for the Stones to do and they did it..

here's the setlist:

Jumping Jack Flash
Bitch
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Honky Tonk Women
Memory Motel
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Out Of Control
Route 66 (B-stage)
Just My Imagination (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)

The perfect Keith set! I prefer Before They Make Me Run over Happy.

I think I have this show on a bootleg. I'll have to revisit it.

Posted by: jfmiii21 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:29

No Security was their best tour since 1972-1973. AMAZING setlists, great playing, intimate stage, arenas. it had it all. it was really the last time the band took bona fide "chances" on stage.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:46

i loved the no security tour in 1999 .i was at the hartford civic center .a great time !!!!!!!!

Date: May 30, 2013 02:28

My favorite Stones show I ever saw was opening night on this tour! I was gonna go with a friend who was a casual fan, but by the time we got to the front of the line the only tickets left were $90 or higher and he didn't wanna cough up $90 . . . so I went alone, and loved EVERY minute of it! It was only my 2nd show living in the Bay Area and my 3rd Stones show period. The rarities-heavy setlist was my dream come true, and them doing what I call the Satanic Encore, being the dark & brooding "Rambler" and "Sympathy" back-to-back for one and ONLY one show was a memory I'll always treasure. After that "Rambler" was relegated to the b-stage. Setlist was:

JJ Flash
Live With Me
Respectable
You Got Me Rocking
Undercover Of The Night
Moonlight Mile (when Mick announced this one I almost died!)
Shine A Light
Some Girls (changing the line to "all you white girls wanna get @#$%& all night!" and another line to "American girls want EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD!!!" his divorce with Jerry had been announced something like 4 days prior, hahahaha)
Paint It Black
You Got The Silver
Before They Make Me Run
Out Of Control (which was THE highlight of the evening for me along with "Rambler" . . . this song went over SO well live and I wish they'd do it regularly, Mick in his cage was fantastic!)
Route 66
I Just Wanna Make Love To You
Honky Tonk Women
Saint Of Me (only time I got to hear this B2B standout live, another one I wish they'd do more often)
It's Only Rock N Roll
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar

encore:
Midnight Rambler
Sympathy For The Devil

At the time I was amazed I got to hear "Live With Me," "Respectable," "Some Girls," "Paint It Black" (which at the time I had never seen live), "Moonlight Mile," "Route 66," "Shine A Light," "Undercover" and "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" all in one show! The variety was astounding, though I was happy to get gems like "Monkey Man," "Rocks Off" and "It's All Over Now" at the VL show in San Antonio (hadn't moved to CA yet) and "Crazy Mama," "Little Queenie," "Wanna Hold You," "Bitch" and "All About You" at the Ft. Worth B2B gig. Still, No Security was IT! The much-renowned Licks tour let me down at both shows I caught on that tour to a degree . . . Much because it couldn't live up to the excitement of the No Security show! Keith and Ronnie seemed unfocused and the sloppiest I had seen or heard them, with audible mistakes throughout, and only a few rarities made me happy compared to the NS gig--"CYHMK," "Whip," "Monkey Man" for a 2nd time, and "Rambler" is always (ALWAYS) my favorite Stones live cut. Period.

Rambling a bit (natch), but YES, the NS tour setlists were astounding and I wish they would use those setlists (or the club setlists during Licks, haha!) as a model for the current tour. I'm happy they're doing "ER" most every night and bringing some rarities into play here and there, but dropping 5 or so warhorses would, and should, make a difference. Girlfriends would be perfectly fine if they did.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 30, 2013 02:54

fahthree
RollingFreak

The difference is 9 warhoses for NS vs. 13 for the current tour. No Security ended with 6 in a row, this tour 9. The differences are subtle but they're there.

Cloud wasn't there every night. This show was its debut. It rotated with Whip and Imagination.

Interestingly enough the fans didn't burn the building with no Miss You or Satisfaction.

Actually the only difference with the set list you presented was that at the time they had just released Bridges To Babylon, their last all-out effort to be current and viable in releasing new music. Fast-forward to 2005, and those slots with four less greatest hits (I'm dropping the IORR catch-word "warhorse" like a tired old, well, warhorse) would have been filled with ABB numbers. There are more greatest hits in 2013 because they are touring behind a recently released comp of greatest hits.

Interesting, though, how the No Security set list is much the same as 2013 for other reasons as well--the same song from Voodoo Lounge (and only one from that album) and nothing from Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, Undercover, and the usual lone greatest hit from Tattoo You.

A typical pattern in recent decades is that The Stones seem to completely ignore the previous album they toured behind. Case in point: In 2013, if you knew nothing of The Stones' discography, you would never have known from the set list that they had gone to the trouble of writing and recording a 60-minute album ahead of their most recent tour. And so it was, mostly, with No Security.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:01

I took a friend to his first stones show the 2nd night in boston which I believe was March 23, 1999.........his favorite song of the night????

Moonlight Mile......he had never heard it before that night, and now it's his favorite stones song.......and not once did he ask where miss you or satisfaction was.........though he would have been pissed if he didn't hear paint it black

I took my brother in law to the vegas show......his first stones show.....his favorite of the night was all down the line, and midnight rambler.......he now owns exile thanks to that concert

I understand you need the hits, but sprinkle in some other stuff too.....and mix in other hits...ex.time is on my side, heart of stone, play with fire, 19th nervous breakdown, she's so cold, one hit, cyhmk, street fighting man

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:16

>On March 16, 1999 I took three people, who Mick would describe as “average fans”, to the then-First Union Center for the No Security Tour.

Isn't this the *only* time they have ever played "Fool To Cry" in the US?

Date: May 30, 2013 04:18

Glam Descendant
>On March 16, 1999 I took three people, who Mick would describe as “average fans”, to the then-First Union Center for the No Security Tour.

Isn't this the *only* time they have ever played "Fool To Cry" in the US?

played in pittsburgh a few nights earlier, but that's it

Posted by: Rstones24 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:21

fahthree
On March 16, 1999 I took three people, who Mick would describe as “average fans”, to the then-First Union Center for the No Security Tour. As we all know there is a huge debate that there are songs that the average fan must hear to maximize their concert going experience. As a reminder, here’s the setlist from that night:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Respectable
5. Honky Tonk Women
6. Fool To Cry
7. Saint of Me
8. Some Girls
9. Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
12. Out Of Control
13. Route 66 (B-stage)
16. Tumbling Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar

Like every other show during the No Security, there is no Miss You or Satisfaction. Yesterday I spoke to each of them to get their thoughts on the show, now 14 years later.

The one guy still describes it as one of the greatest shows he’s ever seen. How can that be? They didn’t play every hit. His response – “A show needs a good mix. If I wanted all the hits I’d just put the CD on”.

My other friend really wanted to hear Memory Motel but was ecstatic that he heard songs he’d never heard before, like Some Girls & Fool To Cry. Going in he specifically hoped they didn’t play every hit.

The third guy was a little hazier about it all since he did some nitrous balloons followed by weed.

The point of this is simple – the argument that the average fan needs “x” number of hits is bullshit. Looking at the No Security setlist offers a great example of how to place lesser known material in the midst of hits.

Here's the thing.

Right now, that setlist looks fresh and good to you because they aren't playing those songs right now. Out of Control was off BTB, so that's like if they were playing Rough Justice on this tour. Other rarities include Fool to Cry, Some Girls, and Route 66.

Every other song on that list has been played at concerts this year. Plus, that was 20 songs vs 22 or 23 songs on this tour.

Plus, when they play 17 of those 20 songs 5 nights away on the No Security Tour, it would look a lot less fresh to you. But now because it includes "different" songs that aren't in the current rotation, you're acting as though it was way more different than it really was.

Date: May 30, 2013 04:24

this will forever be my favorite set list I experienced live

Street Fighting Man
If You Can't Rock Me
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Don't Stop
Stray Cat Blues
Wild Horses
Loving Cup
Rocks Off
Rip This Joint
Tumbling Dice
Slipping Away
Happy
Love Train
Undercover of the Night
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy
Neighbours
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash

Date: May 30, 2013 04:35

Rstones24
fahthree

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Respectable
5. Honky Tonk Women
6. Fool To Cry
7. Saint of Me
8. Some Girls
9. Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
12. Out Of Control
13. Route 66 (B-stage)
16. Tumbling Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar

Here's the thing.

Right now, that setlist looks fresh and good to you because they aren't playing those songs right now. Out of Control was off BTB, so that's like if they were playing Rough Justice on this tour. Other rarities include Fool to Cry, Some Girls, and Route 66.

Every other song on that list has been played at concerts this year. Plus, that was 20 songs vs 22 or 23 songs on this tour.

Plus, when they play 17 of those 20 songs 5 nights away on the No Security Tour, it would look a lot less fresh to you. But now because it includes "different" songs that aren't in the current rotation, you're acting as though it was way more different than it really was.

I hear you but, for what it's worth, I said the differences were subtle and the thrust of my post was that 2 of their biggest hits weren't played and the average fans I took didn't care.

I also think the pacing of the shows was better. Hits were broken up. I think throwing All Down The Line into Tumbling Dice's spot on this tour would be good. Not going to happen since Mick paid all that money for the video.

This tour will always be special because it marked the return to the arena

Posted by: Rstones24 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:36

fahthree
Rstones24
fahthree

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Respectable
5. Honky Tonk Women
6. Fool To Cry
7. Saint of Me
8. Some Girls
9. Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
12. Out Of Control
13. Route 66 (B-stage)
16. Tumbling Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar

Here's the thing.

I hear you but, for what it's worth, I said the differences were subtle and the thrust of my post was that 2 of their biggest hits weren't played and the average fans I took didn't care.

I also think the pacing of the shows was better. Hits were broken up. I think throwing All Down The Line into Tumbling Dice's spot on this tour would be good. Not going to happen since Mick paid all that money for the video.

I got you. Yeah, I think it would be nice if the 2nd half of the show was split up. Even if they did like a 2 song ballad or acoustic set after Miss You maybe and switched those up every night. But, that would take away some of the warhouse momentum that most fans feed off of.

The lack of the B Stage really takes away some of the second half intrigue.

Date: May 30, 2013 04:45

Rstones24
fahthree
Rstones24
fahthree

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Respectable
5. Honky Tonk Women
6. Fool To Cry
7. Saint of Me
8. Some Girls
9. Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
12. Out Of Control
13. Route 66 (B-stage)
16. Tumbling Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar

Here's the thing.

I got you. Yeah, I think it would be nice if the 2nd half of the show was split up. Even if they did like a 2 song ballad or acoustic set after Miss You maybe and switched those up every night. But, that would take away some of the warhouse momentum that most fans feed off of.

The lack of the B Stage really takes away some of the second half intrigue.

Agree about the B-stage even though by A Bigger Bang they had ruined it. They could have played anything out there. We got Beast of Burden in Philly during Licks. Cleveland got Stray Cat Blues.

Date: May 30, 2013 04:56

OK, FUC is Philly. So they've only played it in Pennsylvania in the US, interesting.

I think "Hot Stuff" has only been played once in the US? Opening show of VL.

Date: May 30, 2013 04:58

Glam Descendant
OK, FUC is Philly. So they've only played it in Pennsylvania in the US, interesting.

Hot Stuff was played at the Tower Theater on Licks as well.

Date: May 30, 2013 05:01

fahthree
Glam Descendant

Again with the Pennsylvania!

Y'all must be doing something right.

Date: May 30, 2013 05:05

Glam Descendant
fahthree
Glam Descendant

Again with the Pennsylvania!

Y'all must be doing something right.

That's why I'm hoping Mick is generous at the two shows here in June. I'm also going to Boston 2 in case he's feeling generous early!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:17

fahthree

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Respectable
5. Honky Tonk Women
6. Fool To Cry
7. Saint of Me
8. Some Girls
9. Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
12. Out Of Control
13. Route 66 (B-stage)
16. Tumbling Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar

That is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!! That's worth the thread right there!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:18

24.....My man is dead on. The difference is subtle; We aren't asking for them to more the earth. A couple more surprises, and ending on 6 warhorses, not nine........Trust me, big big difference......and I heard no complaints. My wife is all pop, only knows the hits, and loved it. She loved the Voodoo lounge tour too. We saw them early, check out that setlist. I know that tour takes some heat, but we got No Expectations, Memory, Monkey Man, and I believe six new tunes. Not a warhorse show at all. She flipped, her first show, hell, my son was conceived that night........she must have had fun, or that wouldn't have happened.....lol

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 30, 2013 08:11

Well, ya know, whatever.
Do you want to fight with Mick Jagger about all this?
I think his mind is set on this topic, don't you?

I personally am just thrilled to bits that they toured.
Might be the last chance, you know.
Who know who will be here tomorrow?
We might all be dead and people are stressing about set lists.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: May 30, 2013 16:20

They haven't toured for 6 years, I guess they remember too well 78's bad appreciations of their tour (too many new songs, too few warhorses) and play it safe for this one.

But I think they might take more chances in UK or later if they tour Europe.

BTW, what is the best boot for NS tour (I mean best performance at a G quality level min) ?

Date: May 30, 2013 16:55

fahthree
Glam Descendant

Mick was only singing the chorus back then, right?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 30, 2013 17:05

RollingFreak

Yezzzzzzzzz...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 30, 2013 17:35

I think the big difference is opening with JJF(3mins), and rocking up another warhorse within the first 5. Shakes up the rest of the night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home