Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: You guys are REALLY missing the point with the setlists...
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2013 03:11

carlorossi
uhbuhgullayew
With The Stones, you get a band. With McCartney, you get one guy with a hired band. Large difference.

Exactly. Same applies to Dylan. The artist decides what he wants his hired guns to play, and they do it. Different animal altogether.

But the songwriter(s) decide(s) what and how they want the band to play, as you can see in the film One Plus One for the recording of SFTD, where Mick and Keith are calling all the shots.

It's not like McCartney--who, as a recording artist, has been a producer-proof one-man band for decades anyway--has just some pick-up band. His backing band has been with him for over a decade now, and his keyboardist, Wick, has been on board since 1989--which is the main reason why Macca's shows are so consistently good from year to year.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 29, 2013 03:11

carlorossi
uhbuhgullayew
With The Stones, you get a band. With McCartney, you get one guy with a hired band. Large difference.

Exactly. Same applies to Dylan. The artist decides what he wants his hired guns to play, and they do it. Different animal altogether.

I suspect Charlie was the one pushing hard for Emotional Rescue!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2013 03:15

fahthree
carlorossi
uhbuhgullayew

I suspect Charlie was the one pushing hard for Emotional Rescue!

I recall reading--maybe in According To, I'm not sure--Charlie recounting the futility of making musical suggestions to the band. It was in a recording studio around 1966 and the others (Mick and Keith, that is) just broke down laughing, "Hey, Charlie's making a musical suggestion, HaHaHa!"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 29, 2013 05:04

uhbuhgullayew
treaclefingers
Doxa
Shug
Bands can either try to make the "casual" fans happy by playing most of the hits at every show or they can try to make the hardcores happy by playing rarities and doing different setlists each night. The Black Crowes have a long history of not catering to the casual fans, but keeping the hardcore fans happy AND making them want to see multiple shows on the same tour. They don't get a massive audience, but they get a very loyal one that a large majority of will go see night after night after night. Neither is necessarily right or wrong, just two different approaches, IMO. As a hardcore fan of most bands that I go see live, I vastly prefer to hear rarities and varied setlists from night to night like the Crowes and The Grateful Dead used to do. I'm not surprised when I don't get that from bands like the Stones or Tom Petty or most bands.

"You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself" - Ricky Nelson

Of those who don't have the taste and expectations of "casual fans" or "tourists" in mind almost at all, one of the strongest representatives from the rank of The Stones is Bob Dylan. I don't believe Dylan cares the hardcore fans either (only of himself I suppose), but he makes them very happy with his artistic choices. Or maybe the issue is that his listeners are get used to expect anything, and that's what they are looking for... But I think a typical customer the Stones - and BV here - have in their mind - you know, the audience member they want to entertain and make happy - is totally lost in a Dylan concert. Firstly, he or she most definitively will not hear those classic songs he associates with Dylan (only a couple), and secondly, in the case he or she 'gets' some of them, they most probably be almost unrecognizable.... I have heard many stories from those disappointed "tourists"....grinning smiley

I think in this artistic choice and idea how to "entertain" their audiences Dylan and The Stones are opposite extremes from each other (the distinction between avantgarde art and show business entertainment comes easily to mind). People like Macca and Springsteen are I guess somewhere there in between. As a hardcore fan of both acts, I need to say that it is much easier to be a Dylan fan...

- Doxa

And easy to be a MACCA fan...he was brilliant when I saw him in November, and a great mix of classics and deep cuts, Beatles, Wings, Solo. He did it all for over 3 hours. Great value and a great time. $500 for a pair of floor seats about 12th row seemed pricey, until Stones ticket prices were announced!

Exactly...with McCartney's hired band, they all can play their instruments, on key, don't get lost, no weird starts or endings, just sounds great.

A Large difference, as you say.

Date: May 29, 2013 05:06

Doxa
carlorossi
uhbuhgullayew

And what this artist vs. band difference has to do with set lists? Besides, there is one guy in the Rolling Stones whose power in deciding these kind of matter is not much less than Dylan's or McCartney's...

- Doxa

There's our shot of reality.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2013 05:52

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
Close to 70 songs? The set list hasn't changed much and won't change much. It's not like the Licks tour. Nothing will be like the Licks tour. They do songs from 2012 and then as late as what? 1994, 1981 and 1980. Hell, the May 20th show the oldest song in the set with exception to the two new ones was Start Me Up.

It's just amazing that they ignore their discography past Tattoo You.

So far they have done 56.

In a inane way that is "close to 70".

Date: May 29, 2013 05:54

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
Close to 70 songs? The set list hasn't changed much and won't change much. It's not like the Licks tour. Nothing will be like the Licks tour. They do songs from 2012 and then as late as what? 1994, 1981 and 1980. Hell, the May 20th show the oldest song in the set with exception to the two new ones was Start Me Up.

It's just amazing that they ignore their discography past Tattoo You.

So far they have done 56.

In a inane way that is "close to 70".

Now 57 and Counting.

Date: May 29, 2013 05:55

JumpinJackOLantern
I think the Stones should do a new album no matter what their fans or the general population think.

As far as I can recall they always have done albums because they want to. Not sure why that has changed. Obviously they haven't wanted to for 18 years or whatever it is.

Date: May 29, 2013 05:58

JumpinJackOLantern
I don't think the Stones should settle for anything less than the best possible exit. There is no doubt that if they can somehow pull it together and produce that one last classic it would be the best possible exit scenario. I think we can at least agree on that.

They have already settled for less except financially. And they already did their one last classic album, which was Tattoo You. Why you continue to ape on and on and on about something that is not possible is astounding.

Date: May 29, 2013 06:19

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
I don't think the Stones should settle for anything less than the best possible exit. There is no doubt that if they can somehow pull it together and produce that one last classic it would be the best possible exit scenario. I think we can at least agree on that.

They have already settled for less except financially. And they already did their one last classic album, which was Tattoo You. Why you continue to ape on and on and on about something that is not possible is astounding.

Not possible? Even you should know better.

And what's this nonsense you always spew about Tattoo You being their last classic album? Stop being silly. Bridges (so far) is their last classic album.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: May 29, 2013 06:24

How about this?

1. Get Off My Cloud
2. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll or You Got Me Rocking
3. Undercover Of The Night
4. Doom And Gloom
5. Memory Motel or Waiting On A Friend
6. When The Whip Comes Down
7. Shattered
8. Emotional Rescue
9. All Down The Line
10. Sway
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. You Got The Silver
13. Happy or Little T&A
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Paint It Black
16. Midnight Rambler
17. Street Fighting Man
18. Start Me Up
19. Tumbling Dice
20. Brown Sugar
21. Sympathy For The Devil
22. Jumping Jack Flash
23. Satisfaction

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:17

JOhnnyBGoode - NO they need to change up the second half of the show!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:34

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

And what's this nonsense you always spew about Tattoo You being their last classic album? Stop being silly. Bridges (so far) is their last classic album.
Yes, you can tell it's a classic because they treat it like all their other classic albums and play its highlights over and over in concert. Oh wait, maybe they need to be reminded that Bridges, which I happen to like a lot, is a classic. I like it but nobody I know can name a song from it. The idea that these four men have the ability to get together and make classic music, something they haven't even had the desire to do in decades, is, as the man says, not possible.

Date: May 29, 2013 08:18

Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

Yes, you can tell it's a classic because they treat it like all their other classic albums and play its highlights over and over in concert. Oh wait, maybe they need to be reminded that Bridges, which I happen to like a lot, is a classic. I like it but nobody I know can name a song from it. The idea that these four men have the ability to get together and make classic music, something they haven't even had the desire to do in decades, is, as the man says, not possible.

It's my opinion that people just get brainwashed into thinking that one album is far superior to another. Including the artists. In live concerts it's the songs that the audience can participate in that seem to be the most popular. Tattoo You was just another great Stones album, but I love everything they did after all the way up and through Bridges, including Dirty Work. Tattoo You is far from being the Stones last classic album. Sometimes it takes decades for an album to be recognized as a true classic, as was the case with Exile. My point is that in about ten years people will look back and realize that just about every Stones album ever made was a classic. They don't make bad albums! Satanic was a psychedelic masterpiece in my opinion and will be recognized as such one day. Even ABB is going to grow in stature. I firmly believe that if Mick had made the decision (years ago) to retire some of the warhorses and played some of their other great songs in their place, that those songs would be seen as classics today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 08:20 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 10:27

So you think that the Stones needs these guest artists to make the tour a buzz?
Well then my opinion is confirmed by you.
The Rolling Stones can't make enough buzz on their own.

No! This is just a sad, sad farewell and they expect us to pay oversized ticketprices for that. It's just to bad!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: May 29, 2013 16:21

Fan Since 1964

No! This is just a sad, sad farewell and they expect us to pay oversized ticketprices for that. It's just to bad!

Yes, it's so very sad. All those thousands of fans with huge smiles on their faces, standing, singing along, cheering wildly. So sad. Almost tragic. The great reviews, also very sad. Sad, sad, sad. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:36

Fan Since 1964

I remember when you were extremely upset by the fact that they didn´t tour, now you´re angry about some guest artists. It can´t be easy to be you.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:12

Rstones24 - spot on there I have to agree with you - great post!

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: Jack-flash ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:14

Seriously guys sometimes it's really crazy what's happening in here.
The young dude is absolutely right in what he's writing.
A lot of you in here lost reality.

Also I would of course love to hear a more creative setlist, but the Stones have to please all spectators and not just those 250-350 hardcore fans that attend more than 2 shows a tour. and the other 16k want to hear smu, jjf and satisfaction.

And yes if I go to another act where I am not the hardcore fan, I want to hear the hits as well, so why to expect other things from mick & co.

And before someone starts to bitch around now, how I can dare to write this here.
Yes I am also only 31 years, but since 1990 I've seen the Stones 79 times live, so I for sure know what I am taling about. Also on this tour I've seen them 4 times (2x London, LA 1 and Oakland)

and while all of you want to hear the "rarities" live with me, all down the line or shattered...

sorry guys these are no rarities we heard them allover before. if you are speaking about rarities speak about real ones and not songs we heard on every single tour since 1994.

real gems include emotional rescue, moon is up or moonlight mile. of course i'd love to hear them and maybe once I am lucky like in LA and OAK with ER. What was a real treat to be heard. And I hope to hear that song again in London in July.

And about all you Mick Taylor freaks. Yes it'S cool that he plays again with the boys. I was really happy to finally see them last November on stage on MR.
And yes it would be great to hear him on a few more tunes. But be realistic we will never see him on more than 4 or 5 songs.
If Mick J. would have wanted that he would have done it from the beginning of this tour in LA. Let's face reality be happy when we hear 3 or 4 songs with him and maybe 1 or 2 real gems.

and don't forget the most important thing:
We still have the pleasure to see and experience our favourite band live and that even 50 years after their first show. Let's call ourselves lucky and enjoy all the great shows, cause as Mick already told us in 1965 "This could be the last time" ;-)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:20

They should repaint Mona Lisa because it is boring after all these years!

Bjornulf

Date: May 29, 2013 17:24

Marhsall

Word of advice...be cool posting anything about Dirty Work being underrated or starting a Undercover appreciation thread! Things could go south REAL fast!

But those are my two favorite Stones albums!

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:50

JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

It's my opinion that people just get brainwashed into thinking that one album is far superior to another. Including the artists. In live concerts it's the songs that the audience can participate in that seem to be the most popular. Tattoo You was just another great Stones album, but I love everything they did after all the way up and through Bridges, including Dirty Work. Tattoo You is far from being the Stones last classic album. Sometimes it takes decades for an album to be recognized as a true classic, as was the case with Exile. My point is that in about ten years people will look back and realize that just about every Stones album ever made was a classic. They don't make bad albums! Satanic was a psychedelic masterpiece in my opinion and will be recognized as such one day. Even ABB is going to grow in stature. I firmly believe that if Mick had made the decision (years ago) to retire some of the warhorses and played some of their other great songs in their place, that those songs would be seen as classics today.

I am really curious to know why you don't like ABB? I feel the same you do about a lot of these topics especially about them doing a new album. I thought ABB was very strong. What don't you like?

Date: May 29, 2013 17:52

JohnnyBGoode
How about this?

1. Get Off My Cloud
2. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll or You Got Me Rocking
3. Undercover Of The Night
4. Doom And Gloom
5. Memory Motel or Waiting On A Friend
6. When The Whip Comes Down
7. Shattered
8. Emotional Rescue
9. All Down The Line
10. Sway
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. You Got The Silver
13. Happy or Little T&A
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Paint It Black
16. Midnight Rambler
17. Street Fighting Man
18. Start Me Up
19. Tumbling Dice
20. Brown Sugar
21. Sympathy For The Devil
22. Jumping Jack Flash
23. Satisfaction

REplace Paint it Black with Silver Train and Start Me Up with One Hit

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:55

rambler44

That's it ? You're easily satisfied. Good attitude

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 29, 2013 17:58

bv
They should repaint Mona Lisa because it is boring after all these years!

I think you made her smile!

Date: May 29, 2013 18:07

Rolling Hansie
rambler44

Well of course I could alter it with more rare songs but I was trying to keep to a somewhat realistic setlist Mick might play. But my ballad choice would be Til the NExt Time we Say Goodbye or Indian Girl. And I wowuld definitely want Let it Loose but for some reason Mr. Jagger appears set on NEVER playing it!

Date: May 29, 2013 18:53

rambler44
JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

I am really curious to know why you don't like ABB? I feel the same you do about a lot of these topics especially about them doing a new album. I thought ABB was very strong. What don't you like?

Sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't like ABB. I did say I thought it would grow in stature as the years go by. I can't think of a single Stones album that I don't like, at least at the moment. Some I like more than others. I have gone back and forth on ABB. At times I have thought it was the only dud of their career, but I don't feel that way today.

Date: May 29, 2013 18:56

rambler44
Rolling Hansie
rambler44

Well of course I could alter it with more rare songs but I was trying to keep to a somewhat realistic setlist Mick might play. But my ballad choice would be Til the NExt Time we Say Goodbye or Indian Girl. And I wowuld definitely want Let it Loose but for some reason Mr. Jagger appears set on NEVER playing it!

Thumbs up to Indian Girl and Till The Next Goodbye. Two of my all time favorite Stones songs.

Date: May 29, 2013 19:10

JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
Rolling Hansie
rambler44

Me too. and it amazes me that they have played Out of Tears and Streets of Love (both of which I like) but never Indian Girl or Til the NExt Time as far as I know. Til the Next Time is up there with any of their ballads IMO

Thumbs up to Indian Girl and Till The Next Goodbye. Two of my all time favorite Stones songs.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:32

It seems many have a very bipolar view. I acknowledge that yes, the number 250-300 hardcore fans doing multiple shows, however, it's not like the other 14000 are all newcomers, young, girl friends......etc. i think we are ignoring the middle. I would guess that there is a middle ground of about 6000-8000 each show that ARE diehard, hardcore Stones fans, who simply for one reason or another, cannot/do not do multiple shows within a tour. Frankly, the idea that if I dont quit my job and spend my sons tuition to attend multiple shows offends me. I am no less a fan simply because I act with a small degree of financial restraint. You can't buy your fandom. The man who turned me on to the Stones is 62, and didn't see them until 06'. The man wore scarves, dressed like Keith and lived it the whole way. Back too the setlists, I dont expect a rarities show, but I also would like a surprise or two. I don't think the girlfriends or youngins' would mind or be disappointed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home