Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: You guys are REALLY missing the point with the setlists...
Date: May 28, 2013 18:39

24FPS
JumpinJackOLantern
A Sons Of Beatles tour would bring joy to countless millions and make a lot of people very wealthy. And they wouldn't harm their fathers legacy in any way. It's a no brainer but is unlikely to happen because the music industry today lacks vision. And nobody wants to upset the sacred Beatles apple cart, if you get my drift?

Are you pulling our collective leg with this Sons of Beatles thing? It's hard to tell in print. If you're not, I kind of get your point. I'm assuming there's a lot of fans worldwide that came long after the Beatles stopped appearing in 1966. I guess a sizeable amount of them would pay to see and hear a genetically linked group under the Beatle name. I can't see them doing blockbuster business, but they'd do decent business.

As for the actual band, Julian would be fine as 'John' vocalist, and Dhani would be okay as 'George', but what would you do about 'Paul'? James looks like his father if Paul had lost his hair, but the vocals are nothing like Paul's and in fact are hard to listen to. And of course Zak is a great drummer but I've never heard him sing. That's how I see it realistically, unless of course you're just kidding us and I'm not getting the joke.

I am very serious. I wish I could be the one to promote it. The Beatles left a huge footprint behind that is everlasting. The sons of the Beatles coming together would bring joy to millions. It would be viewed as a sort of resurrection, only through the offspring. Recently, James McCartney spoke about the possibility of one day coming together with the other sons of the Beatles and forming a band. I was thrilled since I had raised the possibility here at IORR shortly before he made his comments.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:44

GRNRBITW
are we gonna sit here and be told off by some punk 25 year old????

LOL! You gotta love Stones fans!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:49

God forbid the audience should quiet down and actually listen to a band perform that they paid a lot of money to see. Not every Stones song is about Mick interacting with the crowd. You know how you feel sorry for those old groups that were once great and now get up there and insist the audience clap and sing along? When I was a kid my mother told me to beware of groups that asked you to clap, "We paid for them to entertain us, not the other way around."

Date: May 28, 2013 18:50

rambler44
GRNRBITW

Really? Do we really have to love the whiners?

Date: May 28, 2013 18:56

hockenheim95
I am 25 too and have to agree with you Rstones24...I enjoy every show they do and I saw multiple shows of one tour. they always surprise me with good songs.

I am 69 and about to turn 70 on July 12 (which just happens to be the Stones birthday 51) and it warms my heart that we even have fans such as yourself and Rstones24. Welcome aboard, mates. Let the younger generation of Stones fans shine!smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:57

24FPS
God forbid the audience should quiet down and actually listen to a band perform that they paid a lot of money to see. Not every Stones song is about Mick interacting with the crowd. You know how you feel sorry for those old groups that were once great and now get up there and insist the audience clap and sing along? When I was a kid my mother told me to beware of groups that asked you to clap, "We paid for them to entertain us, not the other way around."

your mom sounds a little grumpy.

is your mom StonesTod by any chance?

Date: May 28, 2013 18:58

24FPS

Mick needs to overcome his fear that he is going to lose the audience. That's the real reason for the repeated playing of the super hits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 19:01 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:59

bv

I Life is to short to worry about set lists.

you could make the opposite argument as well...life is to short to see the same Stones show over and over.

It's a matter of perspective.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:07

treaclefingers
bv

you could make the opposite argument as well...life is to short to see the same Stones show over and over.

I think the hardcore Stones fans are about three to five years away from getting what they want - a club tour packed with rarities. In the meantime, just enjoy the greatest show on earth.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:09

treaclefingers
bv

Indeed, and it's a wonder the Rolling Stones don't see it the same way

Playing Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, HTWomen, Sympathy, Satisfaction etc over 2000 times......these guys has a screw loose!

Date: May 28, 2013 19:10

Rstones24
Hey everyone. I'm 25, been checking out these boards forever since I went to my first Stones show in 2002 on the Licks tour. I've just never registered until now.

I've been to 6 Stones shows, and will be going to 3 more when they come back east.

Why now? I can't believe how many of you are bashing the Stones! We are all guilty of losing perspective in our lives with various things, and from my vantage point, the diehard Stones fans are REALLY guilty of this with their setlist complaining.

Please, take a step back and think. Okay, there are say 20K fans at a Stones show. How many of those fans are going to multiple shows? Consider the ticket prices. Maybe 5%? So 1K out of 20K? And how many of those fans that are going to multiple shows are "diehard" fans, who only want to hear the obscure songs? Even less than that! Everyones judgment on here is clouded because you are such huge Stones fans. You follow the setlist every night. You watch every single Youtube video. No wonder you get tired of hearing the same songs over and over?

Consider this: On May 3rd, everyone was so happy they played Emotional Rescue. Now, literally 23 days later, people bitch and moan when they play that, because they're not switching it up. Wait a minute...how many people that heard Emotional Rescue on the west coast also heard it last night in Toronto? I'd venture less than 50-100 fans. Yet what's changed? All of you watching it on Youtube after every show? How is that the Stones' fault? How is it their fault that everyone going to the Philly shows in June are stalking the setlist every night in May? If you want to be surprised, don't look at the setlist.

The Stones are my favorite band in the world. Yes, I want to hear the obscure songs. But when I go see Bruce Springsteen, I'm pissed off when he doesn't play Glory Days, Born to Run, Rosalita, etc. Just as a normal person who is seeing the Stones for the 3rd time ever and don't watch every Youtube video from every show would be pissed off if they don't hear Honky Tonk Woman, Tumbling Dice, or Miss You.

I just can't believe the lack of perspective by many intelligent folks on here. It's mind-boggling. Mailing it in? I have a great friend that went to the Toronto show. He hasn't missed a tour since 1981, but he's still just a "casual" fan. He's a bigger music fan in general than Stones fan. After the show last night, he texted me saying it's the best he's ever seen them. He just went and enjoyed the music, rather than picking apart every bum note or noticing how close Keith went to Mick or complaining about the last minute of SFM.

Please, please...get some perspective! 90% of the fans DO NOT want to go to a concert, spend $300 a ticket, and not know the words to songs 4-12 like you guys want to happen. It's just a fact. The Rolling Stones are 100% correct in believing this. Ask anyone who isn't a diehard Shidobee or IORR or Rocksoff person and they'll tell you the same thing.

If Michael Jackson came back to live and you went to see him for the novelty of it (assuming you aren't a diehard MJ fan), would you be upset or be totally fine if he didn't play Billy Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, PYT, Don't Stop, etc? Or would you say he's mailing it in?

Thanks for listening. Rant over.

Well I will give you credit young man for jumping right in and taking on a very large pool of sharks!! Welcome aboard.
With that out of away let me say this; Show a little respect! How about introducing yourself. Telling us why the Stones are a 25 year old's favorite band in the world. Do you think Exile is their best Album or you more a Sticky Fingers or Some Girls man? Do you think Undercover was their last great album or like myself think Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, BTB, & ABB are all fine works? Are you a Mick guy or a Keith guy? Me, I live and die in the Keith camp.

As for your rant I will say this; I am a huge Springsteen fan who has gone to over 25 shows. What is great about Bruce is that he plays a setlist that appeals to both the hardcore and the casual fan. And you will never go a Bruce and the E Streeet Band show and not hear Born to Run. Trust me!

I believe the casual fan at a Stones show will leave happy hearing about 8 or 9 warhorses. And I alos believe the Stones should move some of the warhorses up in the set like Bruce does. They could end the show with 6 warhorses and the crowd will still leave happy. This will then leave them some room for rare songs like Dance Little Sister, Loving Cup, LET IT LOOSE (for godsakes please play it), Hot Stuff, Slave, Silver Train, Let me Go, etc...

Again, welcome aboard

Date: May 28, 2013 19:14

JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
GRNRBITW

Well they are still part of the family aren't they??

Date: May 28, 2013 19:14

Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
bv

Playing Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, HTWomen, Sympathy, Satisfaction etc over 2000 times......these guys has a screw loose!

I always want to hear Jumpin Jack Flash. I have seen them perform it hundreds of times and I never get tired of it. The others I need a little break from. In fact, I never did like HTW or Brown Sugar.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:15

Right, Mick J is not going to lose Miss You because of the singalong aspect.

I think we'd have a much better chance to get rid of one or more of these: Brown Sugar, Honky Talk Woman, Tumbling Dice (--well, Keith likes this one)...

I don't think even the average fan would mind, since they still have a bunch of favorites left.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:17

JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
bv

I think the hardcore Stones fans are about three to five years away from getting what they want - a club tour packed with rarities. In the meantime, just enjoy the greatest show on earth.
Five years? Opening show will be at the Coconut Lounge at the Hebrew Home for the Aged in Miami Beach.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:20

rambler44
JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
GRNRBITW

I suppose, but one big dysfunctional family, right? And they did inspire Keith to raise his game for this tour. So they should get at least some credit, just not as much as the cheerleaders who were the ones who really made this 50 and Counting tour happen. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 19:21 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:22

rambler44
And you will never go a Bruce and the E Streeet Band show and not hear Born to Run. Trust me!

are you sure?

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 19:22 by superglen.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:23

Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
treaclefingers
bv

Five years? Opening show will be at the Coconut Lounge at the Hebrew Home for the Aged in Miami Beach.

Well, hopefully in three.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:25

superglen
rambler44
And you will never go a Bruce and the E Streeet Band show and not hear Born to Run. Trust me!

are you sure?

[www.setlist.fm]

Well shut my mouth! That's why I love Bruce!! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: May 28, 2013 19:26

JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
GRNRBITW

I suppose, but one big dysfunctional family, right? And they did inspire Keith to raise his game for this tour. So they should get at least some credit, just not as much as the cheerleaders who were the ones who really made this 50 and Counting tour happen. smileys with beer

Oh dysfunction to the highest degree. But then again look at the heads of the family: Mick and Keith!!! confused smiley

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:32

stonehearted
CanYouHearTheMusic
In 1989-90 as well as classic tours like 72 and 81-82 they played pretty much the same set every night. No one seemed to complain then!

No one complained then because they had whole new albums for each of those tours where several new songs would be played and would be welcomed by fans because they were good, many of them future classics. Now they have only 2 new songs to play, which they will probably ignore next time they tour because, as with the majority of their output in the last 30 years, even the Stones themselves don't consider them memorable enough to be played on a regular basis.

In 1989 they mainly played "Sad, sad, sad", "Mixed Emotions" and "Rock and a hard place" from the latest record back then so that's only one new song more than this tour.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:36

But for those classic tours, they didn't play basically the same set as prior tours. They did the same set for Steel Wheels, but it included 2000 Light Years, Undercover of theNight, One Hit (sometimes) others that were not new songs, but new in the live set. The argument is not between playing all warhorses and new songs. There are plenty of old songs that are not overplayed.

Date: May 28, 2013 19:37

rambler44
JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
JumpinJackOLantern
rambler44
GRNRBITW

Oh dysfunction to the highest degree. But then again look at the heads of the family: Mick and Keith!!! confused smiley

Yep, it all starts with mom and dad, doesn't it. Certainly that explains all the fighting, bickering, and name calling. And mom had the nerve to stand before us and ask us: "brothers and sisters, what are we fighting for?"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:37

JumpinJackOLantern
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
bv

I always want to hear Jumpin Jack Flash. I have seen them perform it hundreds of times and I never get tired of it. The others I need a little break from. In fact, I never did like HTW or Brown Sugar.

As long as they don't play Jumpin Jack O Lantern....

Date: May 28, 2013 19:40

Erik_Snow
JumpinJackOLantern
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
bv

It's the least they could do for all the volunteer work I do for them!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:45

JumpinJackOLantern
Erik_Snow
JumpinJackOLantern
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
bv

It's the least they could do for all the volunteer work I do for them!

I agree. There are lots of songs I would rather hear then Miss You or HTW, but I gotta have my JJF...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 19:51 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 19:48

superglen
rambler44

are you sure?

[www.setlist.fm]

Born to Run is almost always there, but, he also takes a huge hit like Born in the USA, turns it around, and will do it acoustic......variation of a theme...variety......

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:05

Maybe it's more fun to discuss setlists and whine a bit than actually going to the concerts? Maybe that's it?

Posted by: StonesCPA ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:07

I have been to 13 concerts between 8/26/94 and 10/11/06. They played 80 different songs in those 13 concerts. While I would like to hear fewer of the war horses, I find 80 different songs to be a fair amount of vareity. I will be at the concert in Chicago tonight.

Posted by: StonesCPA ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:10

...and only 4 songs were played in all 13 concerts (TD, SMU, BS, and JJF).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home