Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: You guys are REALLY missing the point with the setlists...
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:41

bv
They should repaint Mona Lisa because it is boring after all these years!

I would still prefer Katy Perry!

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:43

Thrylan
It seems many have a very bipolar view. I acknowledge that yes, the number 250-300 hardcore fans doing multiple shows, however, it's not like the other 14000 are all newcomers, young, girl friends......etc. i think we are ignoring the middle. I would guess that there is a middle ground of about 6000-8000 each show that ARE diehard, hardcore Stones fans, who simply for one reason or another, cannot/do not do multiple shows within a tour. Frankly, the idea that if I dont quit my job and spend my sons tuition to attend multiple shows offends me. I am no less a fan simply because I act with a small degree of financial restraint. You can't buy your fandom. The man who turned me on to the Stones is 62, and didn't see them until 06'. The man wore scarves, dressed like Keith and lived it the whole way. Back too the setlists, I dont expect a rarities show, but I also would like a surprise or two. I don't think the girlfriends or youngins' would mind or be disappointed.

AMEN! One gets the impression Jagger thinks there will be a revolt if God forbid they play a rare song or two off Goats Head, Dirty Work, Undercover, ER, IORR, Exile, etc...
I remeber seeing them at MGM Grand and they played She Was Hot and the crowd loved it. Jagger said something after the song ended like "Wow I didn't think you would know that one" or something like it. Maybe he should the crow more credit for just liking a good rock song!

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:57

rambler44
Thrylan
It seems many have a very bipolar view. I acknowledge that yes, the number 250-300 hardcore fans doing multiple shows, however, it's not like the other 14000 are all newcomers, young, girl friends......etc. i think we are ignoring the middle. I would guess that there is a middle ground of about 6000-8000 each show that ARE diehard, hardcore Stones fans, who simply for one reason or another, cannot/do not do multiple shows within a tour. Frankly, the idea that if I dont quit my job and spend my sons tuition to attend multiple shows offends me. I am no less a fan simply because I act with a small degree of financial restraint. You can't buy your fandom. The man who turned me on to the Stones is 62, and didn't see them until 06'. The man wore scarves, dressed like Keith and lived it the whole way. Back too the setlists, I dont expect a rarities show, but I also would like a surprise or two. I don't think the girlfriends or youngins' would mind or be disappointed.

AMEN! One gets the impression Jagger thinks there will be a revolt if God forbid they play a rare song or two off Goats Head, Dirty Work, Undercover, ER, IORR, Exile, etc...
I remeber seeing them at MGM Grand and they played She Was Hot and the crowd loved it. Jagger said something after the song ended like "Wow I didn't think you would know that one" or something like it. Maybe he should the crow more credit for just liking a good rock song!

It's funny you bring up She Was Hot. I was thinking the other day what motivated him to play that given it's not very well known. I've said before he doesn't give the audience enough credit. Perhaps he would have gotten blank faces for Too Much Blood.

Posted by: Shug ()
Date: May 29, 2013 20:14

Jack-flash
Also I would of course love to hear a more creative setlist, but the Stones have to please all spectators and not just those 250-350 hardcore fans that attend more than 2 shows a tour. and the other 16k want to hear smu, jjf and satisfaction.

No, they don't have to please all spectators. They choose to. They could challenge their audiences by playing a bunch of great songs that most casual fans might not be familiar with, but they, like most bands, choose to cater to their mainstream casual audiences. There was a time when bands played so good that they could win over an audience with a song the audience had never heard before. The Stones are arguably still capable of that, but they choose not to do it.

Neil Young doesn't cater to his audience, he plays what he wants for whatever reasons and people still go see his shows because they know no matter what he plays, he's going to do it passionately. It can be done.

And I'd guess there are far more than 300 fans going to see multiple shows on a tour. If they mixed up the setlists more, there'd likely be a lot more fans going to see multiple shows.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 21:21

Shug
Jack-flash
Also I would of course love to hear a more creative setlist, but the Stones have to please all spectators and not just those 250-350 hardcore fans that attend more than 2 shows a tour. and the other 16k want to hear smu, jjf and satisfaction.

No, they don't have to please all spectators. They choose to. They could challenge their audiences by playing a bunch of great songs that most casual fans might not be familiar with, but they, like most bands, choose to cater to their mainstream casual audiences. There was a time when bands played so good that they could win over an audience with a song the audience had never heard before. The Stones are arguably still capable of that, but they choose not to do it.

Neil Young doesn't cater to his audience, he plays what he wants for whatever reasons and people still go see his shows because they know no matter what he plays, he's going to do it passionately. It can be done.

And I'd guess there are far more than 300 fans going to see multiple shows on a tour. If they mixed up the setlists more, there'd likely be a lot more fans going to see multiple shows.

Couldn't agree more. And think about what The Who just did with their Quadrophenia and More Tour. Imagine if the Stones did the Exiled and More Tour.

Each night they would play the 18 songs of Exile start to finish (with Ronnie and Taylor) and could then play Midnight Rambler & Brown Sugar. Encore with YCAGWYW, JJF, & Satisfaction. Can Jagger really not realize how well received that show would be? It would sell out every show!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 29, 2013 22:03

rambler44
Shug
Jack-flash

Couldn't agree more. And think about what The Who just did with their Quadrophenia and More Tour. Imagine if the Stones did the Exiled and More Tour.

Each night they would play the 18 songs of Exile start to finish (with Ronnie and Taylor) and could then play Midnight Rambler & Brown Sugar. Encore with YCAGWYW, JJF, & Satisfaction. Can Jagger really not realize how well received that show would be? It would sell out every show!

I would love to see th "Exile" show but I would bet the money people tell Jagger that that tour will not earn as much money.

Posted by: Rstones24 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:26

And something else to consider. The Rolling Stones tour is going REALLY, REALLY, REALLY well.

99% of the published reviews have been amazing. Many fans that have been to several shows are saying they're playing better than they've ever seen them.

Yes, some of the $600 tickets have been discounted, but so what? An $300 average ticket is still pretty freaking good for a band. It certainly costs much less to go see their main competition in Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, and U2.

And they're playing to absolutely jam packed arenas every show.

So, why would they change their formula? Someone made a thread that was titled something like "this tour has been a trainwreck." Huh? To who?

Fans are paying several hundred dollars a pop to go see them show after show. Why would Mick, AEG, or anyone involved with the Stones' corporation look at the way things are going and say "Hey Boys, you really should change THIS and THIS and THIS."

Again - perspective, perspective, perspective!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:39

Rstones24
And something else to consider. The Rolling Stones tour is going REALLY, REALLY, REALLY well.

99% of the published reviews have been amazing. Many fans that have been to several shows are saying they're playing better than they've ever seen them.

Yes, some of the $600 tickets have been discounted, but so what? An $300 average ticket is still pretty freaking good for a band. It certainly costs much less to go see their main competition in Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, and U2.

So, why would they change their formula? Someone made a thread that was titled something like "this tour has been a trainwreck." Huh? To who?

Fans are paying several hundred dollars a pop to go see them show after show. Why would Mick, AEG, or anyone involved with the Stones' corporation look at the way things are going and say "Hey Boys, you really should change THIS and THIS and THIS."

Andy Warhol once said..."Ok I did this to make some money, but what am I going to do for art?".............yeah, perspective.....etc etc etc

If you want to call the art of business art...fair enough but I don't, imo it's just business.
As I once said, there's more to life than life.................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 04:42 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:50

If Jagger paid a little more attention to this web site, he would know what a real fan wants to hear.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 30, 2013 04:53

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
I don't think the Stones should settle for anything less than the best possible exit. There is no doubt that if they can somehow pull it together and produce that one last classic it would be the best possible exit scenario. I think we can at least agree on that.

They have already settled for less except financially. And they already did their one last classic album, which was Tattoo You. Why you continue to ape on and on and on about something that is not possible is astounding.

Not possible? Even you should know better.

And what's this nonsense you always spew about Tattoo You being their last classic album? Stop being silly. Bridges (so far) is their last classic album.

Let's see. Yes. I do know: not possible.

Two - I'm not the silly one. Spew about Tattoo You? Hahahahahahaha. You WISH you could spew about Tattoo You. Meanwhile, you go on about some Stones-by-numbers-with-300-producers-"modern"-"Rolling Stones"-album. By no means a classic. Maybe for the post-Bill Wyman era...

Date: May 30, 2013 05:13

bv

I'm sure JumpingWhackOLantern is on board with that - only making a NEW one that is a CLASSIC!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:22

rambler44
Thrylan
It seems many have a very bipolar view. I acknowledge that yes, the number 250-300 hardcore fans doing multiple shows, however, it's not like the other 14000 are all newcomers, young, girl friends......etc. i think we are ignoring the middle. I would guess that there is a middle ground of about 6000-8000 each show that ARE diehard, hardcore Stones fans, who simply for one reason or another, cannot/do not do multiple shows within a tour. Frankly, the idea that if I dont quit my job and spend my sons tuition to attend multiple shows offends me

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:26

bv

Funny you should say that . . .

He did . . .

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: May 30, 2013 05:28

Sorry for the repost.......phone issues.....
If Mick considers SWH a deep cut, well.......that explains quite a bit. Lets reframe this idea. Question - Of everyone in the audience, diehard hardcore pit fans, casual fans, young fans, first timers and girlfriends; What percentage knows, digs or would be turned on to She Was Hot? My guess is an overwhelming majority. Anyone?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:57

SWH is a great live song. A lot of people would know it, the ones who don't would dig it tremendously assuming they like the Stones. How many people would say man that sucked? very very few I think.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 30, 2013 06:05

rambler44
I remeber seeing them at MGM Grand and they played She Was Hot and the crowd loved it. Jagger said something after the song ended like "Wow I didn't think you would know that one" or something like it.

I think the problem may be that the Stones (Mick & Charlie, especially) don't listen to their old records and know their back catalogue very little. Imagine making a record 20 or 30 years ago (or +) and that you've never listened to it since - say, "Hide Your Love" on Goats Head Soup, or "It Must Be Hell" on Undercover, or "Winning Ugly" grinning smiley. That means they might presume that if they can't remember it that well (or at all), other people won't.

Date: May 30, 2013 06:13

Maybe this is the perfect example, I agree with you 100% Rokyfan, well said.

Posted by: Jack-flash ()
Date: May 30, 2013 09:09

Again no doubt about that I would love to hear She was hot again live.
great song worked really well on the last tour.
and yes Jagger could/should get more experimental.

but still he needs to please all people in the audience.

and sorry folks of course Neil Young is a great musician and the the Who are a hell of a band, but even if they play obscures songs they don't play to such masses as the Stones did for so many years. When was the last time those people played a stadium tour ?

The big execption is Bruce Springsteen, where I have to say unbelievable how he handles that of playing so many different songs and also unknown ones every night.

And yes the Stones don't play stadiums this time (luckily) but still a show with tickets around 400 USD or so on average has a lot of normal concert goes in there who expect mayn hits. Not only hits but many. and 99% of them would be really bored if the Stones would play the entire exile album in a row. Because from thise 18 tracks probably they don't know more than TD, ADTL (maybe) and Happy. Maybe Rocks off or Sweet Virginia but sorry folks that's it.

Even I don't know what to expect from I just want to see his face live. Please don't touch it, rather play 100 years ago, fingerprint file or smthg similar

and don't forget another thing, this time the stones are again changing up the setlists quite nicely. 57 different songs at 16 shows (incl. club gigs) while the longest show was 23 songs. not bad I would say. Actually really hard to complain about it. and they even included some real gems like lady jane, emotional rescue or factory girl in them.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 30, 2013 09:58

Shug

This has come up in other threads, sorry for repeating, but Neil, Bob and Paul are solo acts. They have the luxury of being able to tell the band what they're going to play, and the hired bands will play it. Even if it's Neil with Crazy Horse. It's a different dynamic at work when you have a four-man group, each with a say in what goes down.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 10:02

The Stones have been around so long it's like a religion after a point, "Protestant versus Catholic" "Shiite vs Sunni" "Woodite vs Taylorite" "The Protestant Bible should have the Apocrypha like the Catholic Bible." "The Stones should've played NO EXPECTATIONS last night."

Date: May 30, 2013 14:42

Rstones24

Excellent points.

The hardcore fans are just going to have to be patient. One day in the not to distant future we will get our club tour featuring the rarities. Until then, we all need to just chill and bask in the glory of 50 and Counting. This tour is about celebrating the greatest hits and 50 years of the greatest rock 'n roll band the world has ever known - right along side the Beatles. The reviews (overall) have been fantastic. The band is performing at an amazingly high level. And because of that (coupled with their advanced age) the legacy has been enhanced. All that is left to complete this miracle is for them to record that one last classic Stones album. It shall be done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 14:45 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: May 30, 2013 14:55

GasLightStreet
bv

I'm sure JumpingWhackOLantern is on board with that - only making a NEW one that is a CLASSIC!

I have got news for you, gasbag. Every Stones album ever made is a classic. The next one will be no different!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 30, 2013 15:07

I kind of enjoy the correspondence between you and Mr Gaslightstreet, JJL! Do I have an odd sense of humour maybe?

Date: May 30, 2013 15:14

Stoneage
I kind of enjoy the correspondence between you and Mr Gaslightstreet, JJL! Do I have an odd sense of humour maybe?

No, not at all. It's always fun seeing someone giving the school yard bully a taste of his own medicine.

Date: May 30, 2013 15:27

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
I don't think the Stones should settle for anything less than the best possible exit. There is no doubt that if they can somehow pull it together and produce that one last classic it would be the best possible exit scenario. I think we can at least agree on that.

They have already settled for less except financially. And they already did their one last classic album, which was Tattoo You. Why you continue to ape on and on and on about something that is not possible is astounding.

And what's this nonsense you always spew about Tattoo You being their last classic album? Stop being silly. Bridges (so far) is their last classic album.

Two - I'm not the silly one. Spew about Tattoo You? Hahahahahahaha. You WISH you could spew about Tattoo You. Meanwhile, you go on about some Stones-by-numbers-with-300-producers-"modern"-"Rolling Stones"-album. By no means a classic. Maybe for the post-Bill Wyman era...

Just one problem: Your "not possibles" often become reality.

Date: May 30, 2013 15:32

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
bv

I have got news for you, gasbag. Every Stones album ever made is a classic. The next one will be no different!

And yes, I have upgraded ABB to classic status!

Date: May 30, 2013 15:42

deadegad
bv

I would still prefer Katy Perry!

No, I will likely pay 1000$ a pop to see it 100 or so times.......travel around the world, get all defensive if anyone says anything critical, have a sense of entitlement about it because ONLY I appreciate it truly because no one else spends ridiculous sums following it........blah blah blah

Date: May 30, 2013 16:52

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
bv

Did you say something? Because all I see is typical gibberish.

Date: May 30, 2013 16:54

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern

Just one problem: Your "not possibles" often become reality.

In the mind of a lunatic anything not possible "often becomes reality". Which shows the level of out-of-touch you have - 100%. For the real world, not so.

Date: May 30, 2013 16:56

JumpinJackOLantern
And yes, I have upgraded ABB to classic status!

Good for you! Would you like girl scout cookies? A majority of the music world has no idea that A Bigger Bang even exists. Tattoo You on the otherhand...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home