Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: You guys are REALLY missing the point with the setlists...
Date: May 27, 2013 01:34

GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele
Rstones24
Wow. My first post on IORR and I'm called a punk. I guess you were never 25. Sorry for bothering you.

A sense of irony and sense of humor will go far here, 24.

and why the 24 when he CLAIMS to be 25? hmmm????

I agree. Very suspicious. This warrants further investigation.

we've seen his kind come and go a thousand times. i say he's outta here by sundown.

The way he is being treated I wouldn't blame him if he left before sundown.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:39

The kid'll survive .... it's all gonna be UP from now on ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:41

Rstones24
Wow. My first post on IORR and I'm called a punk. I guess you were never 25. Sorry for bothering you.

If you go into a good hamburger joint for their $5 hamburger+ fries you have no right to be fussy and demanding. But when you go out with your wife (or girlfriend) to a very fine restaurant where you spend $250 you have a right to be particulular and demanding. For what The Stones are charging we deserve better than worn out warhorses like Miss you (universally reviled) and a stupifying warhorse heavy setlist.

Stones negotiated for maximum tour revenue by going with AEG at the last moment. Their fans want maximum return on their $250-$350-$450 seats that they bought 2-3-4-5 of

Posted by: Rstones24 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:41

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele
Rstones24

we've seen his kind come and go a thousand times. i say he's outta here by sundown.

Thanks JJ...I appreciate both your kind of welcome, and the other ones smiling smiley I know you're all good people.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:42

no food talk!

Date: May 27, 2013 01:44

triceratops
Rstones24

If you go into a good hamburger joint for their $5 hamburger+ fries you have no right to be fussy and demanding. But when you go out with your wife (or girlfriend) to a very fine restaurant where you spend $250 you have a right to be particulular and demanding. For what The Stones are charging we deserve better than worn out warhorses like Miss you (universally reviled) and a stupifying warhorse heavy setlist.

Stones negotiated for maximum tour revenue by going with AEG at the last moment. Their fans want maximum return on their $250-$350-$450 seats that they bought 2-3-4-5 of

Understood. But "deserve better" as far as what songs you want to hear is pretty freakin relative.

Again, there are at the absolute very least, 10 "casual," "normal," or "whatever you want to call them" fans to your 1. And it's more realistically 20-1 or more.

They are paying for the hits. You're paying for the rarities. There's more of them than us. If they decided to stop going to concerts, the Stones would be screwed. If everyone on IORR stopped going, they'd miss us, but they'd be okay.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:45

GRNRBITW
no food talk!

Not even Keith's Shepard's pie addiction and HP sauce (ordered by the caseload) addiction?

Date: May 27, 2013 01:47

Rstones24
triceratops
Rstones24

Understood. But "deserve better" as far as what songs you want to hear is pretty freakin relative.

Again, there are at the absolute very least, 10 "casual," "normal," or "whatever you want to call them" fans to your 1. And it's more realistically 20-1 or more.

They are paying for the hits. You're paying for the rarities. There's more of them than us. If they decided to stop going to concerts, the Stones would be screwed. If everyone on IORR stopped going, they'd miss us, but they'd be okay.

i did receive a lovely card from the keith the other day asking where i was and that the whole gang missed me....

Date: May 27, 2013 01:52

Rstones24
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele
Rstones24

Thanks JJ...I appreciate both your kind of welcome, and the other ones smiling smiley I know you're all good people.

One thing I have learned in my 69 years is that not everyone is good. Some people are just hell bent on seeing the world burn.

Date: May 27, 2013 01:54

JumpinJackOLantern
Rstones24
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele
Rstones24

One thing I have learned in my 69 years is that not everyone is good. Some people are just hell bent on seeing the world burn.

hell-bent? that's a little strong. determined? yes....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 27, 2013 01:57

RStones24, THANK YOU for a spot-on post.
I applaud you. Hope you stick around and keep it REAL.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:01

Rstones24
Wow. My first post on IORR and I'm called a punk.

And be proud of it. All these old farts here have forgotten what it was to be young. Not me though ... I am an old fart who still knows what it was to be young LOL.
Welcome to the board kiddo. I like your attitude.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 27, 2013 02:02

Rolling Hansie
Rstones24
Wow. My first post on IORR and I'm called a punk.

And be proud of it. All these old farts here have forgotten what it was to be young. Not me though ... I am an old fart who still knows what it was to be young LOL.
Welcome to the board kiddo. I like your attitude.

smileys with beer Hansie, you are a good soul. I know and I have never met you.

Date: May 27, 2013 02:04

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
Rstones24
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele
Rstones24

hell-bent? that's a little strong. determined? yes....

I always figured you for one of the good guys. You bring some much needed humor.

Date: May 27, 2013 02:05

stonesrule
RStones24, THANK YOU for a spot-on post.
I applaud you. Hope you stick around and keep it REAL.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:07

JumpinJackOLantern
smileys with beer Hansie, you are a good soul.

I'll drink to that smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:27

Rstones24
Hey everyone. I'm 25, been checking out these boards forever since I went to my first Stones show in 2002 on the Licks tour. I've just never registered until now.

I've been to 6 Stones shows, and will be going to 3 more when they come back east.

Why now? I can't believe how many of you are bashing the Stones! We are all guilty of losing perspective in our lives with various things, and from my vantage point, the diehard Stones fans are REALLY guilty of this with their setlist complaining.

Please, take a step back and think. Okay, there are say 20K fans at a Stones show. How many of those fans are going to multiple shows? Consider the ticket prices. Maybe 5%? So 1K out of 20K? And how many of those fans that are going to multiple shows are "diehard" fans, who only want to hear the obscure songs? Even less than that! Everyones judgment on here is clouded because you are such huge Stones fans. You follow the setlist every night. You watch every single Youtube video. No wonder you get tired of hearing the same songs over and over?

Consider this: On May 3rd, everyone was so happy they played Emotional Rescue. Now, literally 23 days later, people bitch and moan when they play that, because they're not switching it up. Wait a minute...how many people that heard Emotional Rescue on the west coast also heard it last night in Toronto? I'd venture less than 50-100 fans. Yet what's changed? All of you watching it on Youtube after every show? How is that the Stones' fault? How is it their fault that everyone going to the Philly shows in June are stalking the setlist every night in May? If you want to be surprised, don't look at the setlist.

The Stones are my favorite band in the world. Yes, I want to hear the obscure songs. But when I go see Bruce Springsteen, I'm pissed off when he doesn't play Glory Days, Born to Run, Rosalita, etc. Just as a normal person who is seeing the Stones for the 3rd time ever and don't watch every Youtube video from every show would be pissed off if they don't hear Honky Tonk Woman, Tumbling Dice, or Miss You.

I just can't believe the lack of perspective by many intelligent folks on here. It's mind-boggling. Mailing it in? I have a great friend that went to the Toronto show. He hasn't missed a tour since 1981, but he's still just a "casual" fan. He's a bigger music fan in general than Stones fan. After the show last night, he texted me saying it's the best he's ever seen them. He just went and enjoyed the music, rather than picking apart every bum note or noticing how close Keith went to Mick or complaining about the last minute of SFM.

Please, please...get some perspective! 90% of the fans DO NOT want to go to a concert, spend $300 a ticket, and not know the words to songs 4-12 like you guys want to happen. It's just a fact. The Rolling Stones are 100% correct in believing this. Ask anyone who isn't a diehard Shidobee or IORR or Rocksoff person and they'll tell you the same thing.

If Michael Jackson came back to live and you went to see him for the novelty of it (assuming you aren't a diehard MJ fan), would you be upset or be totally fine if he didn't play Billy Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, PYT, Don't Stop, etc? Or would you say he's mailing it in?

Thanks for listening. Rant over.

Bravo, Rstones24, that was the best post I have read on here in a very long time as it concerns the constant setlist bitching and whining. You my friend are wise beyond your years! smileys with beer

Date: May 27, 2013 02:41

triceratops
Rstones24

No, they didn't negotiate for maximum tour revenue. Keith said they took the lower offer and that they insisted on keeping ticket prices reasonable. AEG had a plan to slow down the scalpers. It worked. The average coat of a ticket has been about $350.00. Not cheap, but not entirely unreasonable considering that this could very well be the last time the Stones tour on this scale. The fact of the matter is that the Stones fought for lower ticket prices. Few want to accept that. One poster was booted from this list for seeing this as reality before it became reality.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:53

Rstones24, you going to the June 12 show? I like you're perspective. Yesterday I played golf in a tourney and in my group was a 19 year old Stones fan. I'm 53 and our age difference didn't matter. We both enjoyed talking the Stones and I respected his viewpoint. Funny, I told him the show I was really looking forward to this summer is Beck and he was clueless. Can't wait to see Beck!!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:56

Rstones24
Hey everyone. I'm 25, been checking out these boards forever since I went to my first Stones show in 2002 on the Licks tour. I've just never registered until now.

I've been to 6 Stones shows, and will be going to 3 more when they come back east.

Why now? I can't believe how many of you are bashing the Stones! We are all guilty of losing perspective in our lives with various things, and from my vantage point, the diehard Stones fans are REALLY guilty of this with their setlist complaining.

Please, take a step back and think. Okay, there are say 20K fans at a Stones show. How many of those fans are going to multiple shows? Consider the ticket prices. Maybe 5%? So 1K out of 20K? And how many of those fans that are going to multiple shows are "diehard" fans, who only want to hear the obscure songs? Even less than that! Everyones judgment on here is clouded because you are such huge Stones fans. You follow the setlist every night. You watch every single Youtube video. No wonder you get tired of hearing the same songs over and over?

Consider this: On May 3rd, everyone was so happy they played Emotional Rescue. Now, literally 23 days later, people bitch and moan when they play that, because they're not switching it up. Wait a minute...how many people that heard Emotional Rescue on the west coast also heard it last night in Toronto? I'd venture less than 50-100 fans. Yet what's changed? All of you watching it on Youtube after every show? How is that the Stones' fault? How is it their fault that everyone going to the Philly shows in June are stalking the setlist every night in May? If you want to be surprised, don't look at the setlist.

The Stones are my favorite band in the world. Yes, I want to hear the obscure songs. But when I go see Bruce Springsteen, I'm pissed off when he doesn't play Glory Days, Born to Run, Rosalita, etc. Just as a normal person who is seeing the Stones for the 3rd time ever and don't watch every Youtube video from every show would be pissed off if they don't hear Honky Tonk Woman, Tumbling Dice, or Miss You.

I just can't believe the lack of perspective by many intelligent folks on here. It's mind-boggling. Mailing it in? I have a great friend that went to the Toronto show. He hasn't missed a tour since 1981, but he's still just a "casual" fan. He's a bigger music fan in general than Stones fan. After the show last night, he texted me saying it's the best he's ever seen them. He just went and enjoyed the music, rather than picking apart every bum note or noticing how close Keith went to Mick or complaining about the last minute of SFM.

Please, please...get some perspective! 90% of the fans DO NOT want to go to a concert, spend $300 a ticket, and not know the words to songs 4-12 like you guys want to happen. It's just a fact. The Rolling Stones are 100% correct in believing this. Ask anyone who isn't a diehard Shidobee or IORR or Rocksoff person and they'll tell you the same thing.

If Michael Jackson came back to live and you went to see him for the novelty of it (assuming you aren't a diehard MJ fan), would you be upset or be totally fine if he didn't play Billy Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, PYT, Don't Stop, etc? Or would you say he's mailing it in?

Thanks for listening. Rant over.

This board is 50% a$s holes and 50% douche bags. Choose wisely.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:56

Rstones24 said:

"Again, there are at the absolute very least, 10 "casual," "normal," or "whatever you want to call them" fans to your 1. And it's more realistically 20-1 or more.

They are paying for the hits. You're paying for the rarities. There's more of them than us. If they decided to stop going to concerts, the Stones would be screwed. If everyone on IORR stopped going, they'd miss us, but they'd be okay."

I should have read through the whole thread before responding the first time but this quote hits the nail on the head. It's true, the last couple of tours I have averaged seeing close to 20 shows each tour and yes, I also get quite jaded with the setlists, wouldn't be normal if I didn't. The thing is though that when you're actually there at all these various shows there is always something that makes each show different and exciting, be it the locale, the crowd itself, the overall vibe, the seat location or even just the band themselves, I have yet to walk away from a Stones concert disappointed.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:06

if the stones played rarities or new stuff well and with confidence, everyone would enjoy it. it would be a good show. How do you ever learn new songs if you only listen to stuff you already know? It doesn't make logical sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 03:08 by ryanpow.

Posted by: STONES85 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:19

Great post! its true, what I don't understand is why Mick said they weren't going to play the new songs this time around because fans don't want to hear them, but they have played them at every show?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:20

You are really missing the point of this board. This is a forum where people air their feelings about the Stones -- good & bad.

Date: May 27, 2013 03:23

Maindefender
Rstones24, you going to the June 12 show? I like you're perspective. Yesterday I played golf in a tourney and in my group was a 19 year old Stones fan. I'm 53 and our age difference didn't matter. We both enjoyed talking the Stones and I respected his viewpoint. Funny, I told him the show I was really looking forward to this summer is Beck and he was clueless. Can't wait to see Beck!!

I'm going 6/18, 6/21, and 6/24.

And yeah, it's cool how us young guys can be into the Stones as well. And the ones that rag on them for being old, simply have never been to a RS concert.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:29

MILKYWAY
You are really missing the point of this board. This is a forum where people air their feelings about the Stones -- good & bad.

Just so long as people don't air their dirty laundry...

I think our young newcomer is airing his feelings about the Stones, via his opinion of their fans here. That happens alot on IORR...and then they're off. grinning smiley

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:33

Here comes a simple answer from a hard core fan since 1964.
I've been learning the lyrics of the songs from the start of my fanhood and I urge you to do the same.

The Rolling Stones is without a doubt the greatest rock and roll band still but they make mistakes nowadays that shouldn't be made by professionals like them.

One of them is the cruise control setlist! Another one the on occasion boring guest artists invited to the stage. On that part we have LG dressed like she was going to a party with the Big Bang Theory actors pretending to be the doppler effect.
Then we have Gwen Stefani, who didn't care enough but to destroy the worlds greatest ballad Wild horses. Last concert Carrie Underwood destroyed IORR.
She even got Mick to try to sing like her.

Now there's this great guy who came along on this journey, his name is Mick Taylor. Why not bring him on stage for a greater part of the show and play songs with greater quality than Emotional Rescue. ER is one of the weakest songs ever written by Jagger/Richards.

The Stones are digging a big hole for themselves really, it will be hard to climb out of that one!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:36

MILKYWAY

I want to air my so so feelings. Where do I do that?

Date: May 27, 2013 03:54

Fan Since 1964
Here comes a simple answer from a hard core fan since 1964.
I've been learning the lyrics of the songs from the start of my fanhood and I urge you to do the same.

The Rolling Stones is without a doubt the greatest rock and roll band still but they make mistakes nowadays that shouldn't be made by professionals like them.

One of them is the cruise control setlist! Another one the on occasion boring guest artists invited to the stage. On that part we have LG dressed like she was going to a party with the Big Bang Theory actors pretending to be the doppler effect.
Then we have Gwen Stefani, who didn't care enough but to destroy the worlds greatest ballad Wild horses. Last concert Carrie Underwood destroyed IORR.
She even got Mick to try to sing like her.

Now there's this great guy who came along on this journey, his name is Mick Taylor. Why not bring him on stage for a greater part of the show and play songs with greater quality than Emotional Rescue. ER is one of the weakest songs ever written by Jagger/Richards.

The Stones are digging a big hole for themselves really, it will be hard to climb out of that one!

Carrie Underwood is a pretty big name on the current musical scene. She's actually a pretty good singer, artist, and songwriter. Much bigger name than Mick Taylor, who hasn't been in the band sine 1975...

Now, I 100% agree that since he's on tour with them, why not have him play 3rd guitar on several more songs. Since he's there, why not?

But as far as media buzz, marketing, etc, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Gwen Stefani, Eric Clapton, etc are going to generate much more interest than Mick Taylor playing on 4 or 5 songs instead of 2.

Now, if you are argue that Mick Taylor means more to the people in that arena, than I can see that. But is that the only reason the Stones are bringing guests in? Or is it to market them, keep the buzz going, etc? Carrie Underwood has 1.7M followers on Twitter. Mick Jagger has 460K. Carrie Underwood tweeting about her amazing, awesome time on stage with the Rolling Stones has a ton of marketing/PR appeal, believe it or not.

The brains behind the Stones operation aren't dummies, regardless of what many believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 03:56 by Rstones24.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 27, 2013 04:17

Munichhilton
MILKYWAY

I want to air my so so feelings. Where do I do that?

Air your feelings about the Rolling Stones or your feelings about the people on this board?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home