Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Anaheim-2 May 18 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:20

Midnight Rambler:

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:24

The thing that really irks me is that you would be hard pushed to find a Stones fan who would prefer to see Dave Grohl playing the solo on Bitch in place of Mick Taylor. Yet here we have a situation where Taylor (one of the world's best rock lead players) is standing in the wings watching Dave Grohl play on a song that he recorded with the band. Now if playing a show is giving the public what they want then they are missing the opportunity big time. Fine, have Grohl as a guest if you must, but why give him a Taylor suited song? Why not give him Respectable like they did with Meyer?

I'm not sure about Jagger intentionally trying to hurt Keith by having these guests up front with him, if anyone is getting hurt it's Taylor. Yes, I'll give you that Grohl upped the energy, but wouldn't Taylor have done the same although it would have been through his playing rather than his head banging.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:35

crumbling_mice
The thing that really irks me is that you would be hard pushed to find a Stones fan who would prefer to see Dave Grohl playing the solo on Bitch in place of Mick Taylor. Yet here we have a situation where Taylor (one of the world's best rock lead players) is standing in the wings watching Dave Grohl play on a song that he recorded with the band. Now if playing a show is giving the public what they want then they are missing the opportunity big time. Fine, have Grohl as a guest if you must, but why give him a Taylor suited song? Why not give him Respectable like they did with Meyer?

I'm not sure about Jagger intentionally trying to hurt Keith by having these guests up front with him, if anyone is getting hurt it's Taylor. Yes, I'll give you that Grohl upped the energy, but wouldn't Taylor have done the same although it would have been through his playing rather than his head banging.

Yes, to me also this is very odd that Grohl is playing the solo on Bitch, it just doesn't make musically any sense when Mick Taylor is available...

Is Jagger intentionally trying to hurt Mick T., Keith and fans all at the same time by proving that he can do whatever he wants with the Rolling Stones and everybody is playing by his rules, so this is some weird ego thing for Jagger now? (That todger-comment has really hurt him, I guess...)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:36

corriecas
Long John Stoner
hbwriter
And if you look at Jagger with Grohl - he seems to be feeling, "Thank god someone with crazy energy like me is up here - this is what a show is supposed to be"

What he's doing is using Grohl as a Keith substitute. He'll play and get all excited with Raitt, Fogerty, Perry, Mayer, Urban and Grohl, but not Keith. It's his way of punishing him somehow, their little soap opera being played out as they approach 70 years old on American stages every few nights.

I think you are right.
Quite sickening somehow, and sad, very sad.
Keef should finish his Xpensive Winos record and tour with his other band.
End of 50 years !!!
Jeroen

That would mean "finishing" new songs, and I don't think he's capable.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:37

crumbling_mice

I agree- but clearly the decision is that taylor is a limited guest and no more - i LOATHE that - but since it is the reality, then we have to deal with it - watching MT noodle and strum on satisfaction was a farce, if you ask me- at the least he should have a 4-6 set he can hang for - he brins a wonderful and rich presence to the preceedings - QUESTION - on love in vain at the echo - did he play on it?

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:38

Mick Taylor leaving the Tongue Pit to get ready for Rambler.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:38

The falacy here is.......Bitch always was a Keith solo song. Granted, during the MT period, there was more distinction between lead and rhythm, but this pushed Keith to be a better soloist - We dont always like whats good for us. Check out L&G, Keith takes on Bitch, and in my opinion, MT ruins Dice with gloss. MT isn't the answer for everything. Keith can still pull off some two-note, double stop Chuck stuff effortlessly(have you seen his knuckles?!?) How about BBJ, or stuff he CAN do. I love watching him chop out ADTL, much more rewarding than watching him struggle, and he seems happier then to...........OR, By song selection, is Mick setting him up to fail?

Date: May 19, 2013 19:42

hbwriter
crumbling_mice

I agree- but clearly the decision is that taylor is a limited guest and no more - i LOATHE that - but since it is the reality, then we have to deal with it - watching MT noodle and strum on satisfaction was a farce, if you ask me- at the least he should have a 4-6 set he can hang for - he brins a wonderful and rich presence to the preceedings - QUESTION - on love in vain at the echo - did he play on it?

Yes 100% agree on that. It is ridiculous that he is 'allowed' on stage for Satisfaction, yet seems to be restricted to a strum along. The guy loves being on stage with his old band, he does bring a magic spark to the procedings and it is a huge shame that on what is likely their last tour we aren't going to be graced with Taylors talents on more than one song.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:45

hbwriter
andrewt
hbwriter
andrewt
I find it notable that nobody discusses the second half of the show, as if there's a implicit acknowledgement that it's purely going through the motions.
Enquiring minds want to know, how was Miss You?

"going through the motions" can also be called "giving the people what they want" - my 16 year daughter's first stones show last night was something she'll never forget - the war horse set is not done for a bunch of gray haired malcontents that have seen the band 50 times -it's for the youth and the uninitiated - try looking at it in that light and maybe it will make mor sense. As for Miss You - I just asked my daughter what she thought of it - and she said it rocked. There's your review.

I am glad your daughter got to enjoy the show, but let's face it, how many seats are filled with people taking their kids or even more unlikely, groups of under 30's ready to rock out? The "youth" couldn't afford to go in a million years unless they have a trust fund, assuming they felt like it. FWIW, I'm not even that old, and certainly neither grey haired nor a malcontent. I'm simply sharing my observations.

i saw a ton of kids at the show last night - families - look it's a tough balance-i'm sorry the two new tunes take up space- there are things they want to do - and HAVE to do - bitch, silver, and shattered were strong adds last night, i thought - me? i'd lose the two new songs, kill sympathy and you got me rocking - and add another five lesser played tunes - then i think EVERYONE would be happy - but it ain't me - or you - it's them - and many have died frustrated trying to figure tHEM out smiling smiley

All good points. Glad to hear some young'uns were at the show.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:46

A bit sick to read - that Mick J. is arranging guest appearances to hurt Mick T. and Keith. Come on, we know that Mick and Keith aren't best friends anymore, but saying the other is going over board......

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:51

Re some above posts "judging" Sympathy For The Devil, the Stones offered a brilliant live version in Paris in 2007.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 19, 2013 19:56

My smart phone pic. I forget which song this was. No Bobby Keys. No choir. That narrows it down.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 19, 2013 20:11

crumbling_mice

I don't like Grohl one bit but he is a celebrity and Bitch was a good choice and sounded energetic. I think we should take the Taylor situation for what it is and not worry that everything is about his spot. I have a feeling there will be some payback but UTUBES blurr the experience. In the old days few would of cared that they repeat shows 500 miles apart, which they are not doing btw. Only the Grateful Dead played a completely different show each night but that was them.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: May 19, 2013 20:11

Crumbling_Mice

I agree with Taylor playing on the original but it is Keith that has always played the solo on Bitch. It could have been a great trade off to having them both exchange licks. Bottom line is that he is there being wasted in the wings...

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 19, 2013 20:17

Thrylan
So, as fans we are petty for wanting an acceptable product, but the two 70 year olds acting like children is excusable. Do I have this right. Again, how many casual fans are paying this much money. I am crying BS! Additionally, is it really worse to call it like you see it, instead of making excuses for your beloved? Hssss my precious.

No, you don't have it right, not at all.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 19, 2013 20:21

I think Crumbling Mice's point is the studio recording is very much a two-guitar assault (Keith and Mr. Taylor) as it was when played live in 1972 and 1973. The live performances since then have never matched what was accomplished initially. From the STEEL WHEELS tour on, it's mainly been a song for the horns and little else.

Date: May 19, 2013 20:39

Rocky Dijon
I think Crumbling Mice's point is the studio recording is very much a two-guitar assault (Keith and Mr. Taylor) as it was when played live in 1972 and 1973. The live performances since then have never matched what was accomplished initially. From the STEEL WHEELS tour on, it's mainly been a song for the horns and little else.

I have always thought Bitch is the best track in Sticky Fingers,
and in my Stones TOP5 songs,
so it's disappointing that it's so seldom played live and even if it's played,
it doesn't come even close to the studio version.

Date: May 19, 2013 20:48

roby
Bitch : energy contrast between Mick and Keith is cruel here sad smiley

Keith played really good on Bitch. He always does.

Date: May 19, 2013 20:52

Yes, I was meaning the two guitar assault via Taylor and Keith. On reflection, I'm probably letting this Taylor thing sour my judgement of what has so far been a great tour. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that public pressure gets to Jagger and they let him on for 3 or 4 songs. Maybe it's in the contract that he plays more when they get to the UK, maybe not.

There have been some hits and misses with the guest slots...I'd count Grohl as a hit from what the majority of you all say...Ga Ga and Stefani, a miss. I've a feeling it might be Bobby Womack at Glastonbury as he is playing the Festival.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 19, 2013 20:54

Looks like most shows are filling up.

Date: May 19, 2013 21:04

crumbling_mice
Yes, I was meaning the two guitar assault via Taylor and Keith. On reflection, I'm probably letting this Taylor thing sour my judgement of what has so far been a great tour. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that public pressure gets to Jagger and they let him on for 3 or 4 songs. Maybe it's in the contract that he plays more when they get to the UK, maybe not.

There have been some hits and misses with the guest slots...I'd count Grohl as a hit from what the majority of you all say...Ga Ga and Stefani, a miss. I've a feeling it might be Bobby Womack at Glastonbury as he is playing the Festival.

I think some guest appearences have been good and some have been weak, but there has not been a single one absolutely fantastic guest appearence so far as was for example Eric Clapton on Little Red Rooster in 1990. Gary Clark Jr. is a great player but maybe his guest apperence wasn't so good as it could have been and the guest singers really haven't made any great impact on me though I have great respect for John Fogerty otherwise.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:06

the show seemed pretty packed - merch stands overflowing -look, this thing is a hit - as it should be. It is historic - this is, for all intents, the last real run - just enjoy it.

we are all so spoiled by this band. i'd resist the urge to attack - gently critique? sure. attack? wow.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:07

hbwriter
the show seemed pretty packed - merch stands overflowing -look, this thing is a hit - as it should be. It is historic - this is, for all intents, the last real run - just enjoy it.

we are all so spoiled by this band. i'd resist the urge to attack - gently critique? sure. attack? wow.

Bravo!

Standing O.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:11

I really do wonder about the bashing of Dave Grohl, here, I cannot help but assume that any here know little of Foo Fighters and the success Grohl has achieved since Nirvana and Cobain's suicide. He's a respectable songwriter and musician and held in high regard. He went from being a drummer - who Cobain didn't rate, reportedly - to lead-singer and showman with the stadium-filling Foo Fighters. He deserves credit. He dissed Keith in that documentary? I think his comment was more to do with Lemmy than Keith Richards. I'd be surprised if Grohl were not a Stones and Keith Richards fan.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:15

guitarbastard
dave grohl: @#$%& Keith Richards, @#$%& all those dudes who survived the sixties. Flying around in private jets, living up their gunslinger reputation as they @#$%& supermodels in the most expensive hotel in Paris. It's like: you know what Lemmy is doing? Lemmy is... probably drinking Jack'N'Cokes and writing another record!

How childish and insulting!! F*****g super-models! What about MTV producers? Flying in lear jets! What about walking on red carpets? By the way, did he say all that before or after performing at the Apple Press conference? Is this part of the 'anti-fame' attitude of grunge? Give some break....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:20

crumbling_mice

Here's a bottom line for me on the ridiculousness of those who think they know better than the band on when to use MT and for how much.

If you feel a need to tell people (in a stones fan thread no less) that Mick Taylor is "one of the world's best rock lead players" then you are actually proving that he is not. May have been at one time, but his solo career would mirror Clapton's or any number of actual "best rock lead players".

Just as I and a lot of fans predicted Mick Taylor is gradually getting more stage/playing time. My bet is by the end of this run, he'll be playing on a couple
more songs and any MORE lead solo time will come at the expense of their current
players, who I like to refer to and pay my money to see...as THE ROLLING STONES.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 21:21 by MisterDDDD.

Date: May 19, 2013 21:21

All the guests have been great so far. It's not like they are taking over the show. I hope they continue to surprise us with a new guest for every show from here to the end of their career. It's a brilliant marketing strategy.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:37

The 3 guitar approach just adds a lot to the tempo. That is the biggest
problem for yrs IMO. The songs are simply played too slow .

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 19, 2013 21:51

Big Al
I really do wonder about the bashing of Dave Grohl, here, I cannot help but assume that any here know little of Foo Fighters and the success Grohl has achieved since Nirvana and Cobain's suicide. He's a respectable songwriter and musician and held in high regard. He went from being a drummer - who Cobain didn't rate, reportedly - to lead-singer and showman with the stadium-filling Foo Fighters. He deserves credit. He dissed Keith in that documentary? I think his comment was more to do with Lemmy than Keith Richards. I'd be surprised if Grohl were not a Stones and Keith Richards fan.

I totally agree with you BigAl, really don't know what wrong with Dave Grohl...............

Date: May 19, 2013 21:55

MisterDDDD
crumbling_mice

Here's a bottom line for me on the ridiculousness of those who think they know better than the band on when to use MT and for how much.

If you feel a need to tell people (in a stones fan thread no less) that Mick Taylor is "one of the world's best rock lead players" then you are actually proving that he is not. May have been at one time, but his solo career would mirror Clapton's or any number of actual "best rock lead players".

Try again - that didn;t make sense.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home