Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: Mick Taylor anwers the question.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 13, 2013 18:15

VT22
That Hendrix version is unsurpassed. He is playing 3 guitars here. I posted it several times on iorr. thumbs up

It truly is amazing eh!?

Pheweee! hot smiley

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 18:35

His Majesty
VT22
That Hendrix version is unsurpassed. He is playing 3 guitars here. I posted it several times on iorr. thumbs up

It truly is amazing eh!?

Pheweee! hot smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 13, 2013 22:14

Mathijs
VT22

And as usual, Taylor didn't give a @#$%&, that's what I liked about him. He didn't care much for Keith musical opinions on stage. Refused to listen to the "boss" and trusted his own compass. That's what I call a musician.

He cared enough to be so unhappy that he left the Stones. And what you call a musician I call a failure.

Mathijs
Well he could not continue as a high fashioned junkie, I'm glad he's alive to play again but I agree it's his failure. As far as his Stones studio work I disagree. Much of Taylor's greatest guitar work was support parts. The nashville guitar in WH, the power chords on Loving Cup, the bass in Dice are just a start of his majestic contributions as a band member as well as a soloist. Any photo of the guitarists on Exile shows the three players in the band creating the world's greatest album as one guitar team. At times on tour Taylor was a noodler, he played too loud according to reports and too often out of tune along with KR.. Trying to judge these early 70's concerts, before accurate electronic tuning with everyone associated totally wasted much of the time will drive us crazy, er.. crazier. Much of what "bad" that could be said about Taylor can also go for Hendrix, Terry Kath and Duane Allman. Like it or not they are his only peers, Taylor played with reckless abandon, like Keith he somehow survived but not without battle scars. Underestimating his influence on guitarists, pop music and it's audience is just plain silly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 22:19 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 13, 2013 22:23

I was referring to Mick as a musician following his compass while he was on stage with the Stones.

Date: May 13, 2013 22:39

DoomandGloom
Underestimating his influence on guitarists, pop music and it's audience is just plain silly.

I think it's overstating things to say he was influential in any significant way. I mean, there's so many damn Keith, Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton clones or people who cite them as major influences.

In my experience outside of stones/taylorites fandom he's not really seen as being in same league as Hendrix, Beck etc. He doesn't really have any mythology surrounding him... he's a young guy that joined the stones, played some good guitar and then left.

It is to his credit I suppose that anyone who is a fan is only really a fan because of his playing. His image is that of someone who is quite boring. There's no extra things or drama like you get with characters like Peter Green, Keith, Hendrix and so on.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 13, 2013 22:51

Mathijs
VT22

And as usual, Taylor didn't give a @#$%&, that's what I liked about him. He didn't care much for Keith musical opinions on stage. Refused to listen to the "boss" and trusted his own compass. That's what I call a musician.

He cared enough to be so unhappy that he left the Stones. And what you call a musician I call a failure.

Mathijs

Hm, that's kind of cold. I don't blame MT for leaving the Stones. They were forcing him out of the band (not only not giving him promised writing credits, but Keith was erasing his tracks), so he may has well have quit. They were already friends with Ron Wood and were hanging out with him and recording with him. It's probable if Taylor hadn't quit, they would have replaced him with Ron Wood anyways. It was the Stones' call to make who they preferred playing with, but I don't think it reflects that badly on MT that he could see the handwriting on the wall and moved on. It wasn't exactly leaving them in the lurch because Ron's time with the Faces was over and he was ready to step in.

Date: May 13, 2013 22:54

These are not facts, Mariana.

And the songwriter has every right to do what he thinks is best for his song.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 13, 2013 22:55

His Majesty
DoomandGloom
Underestimating his influence on guitarists, pop music and it's audience is just plain silly.

I think it's overstating things to say he was influential in any significant way. I mean, there's so many damn Keith, Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton clones or people who cite them as major influences.

In my experience outside of stones/taylorites fandom he's not really seen as being in same league as Hendrix, Beck etc. He doesn't really have any mythology surrounding him... he's a young guy that joined the stones, played some good guitar and then left.

It is to his credit I suppose that anyone who is a fan is only really a fan because of his playing. His image is that of someone who is quite boring. There's no extra things or drama like you get with characters like Peter Green, Keith, Hendrix and so on.

Maybe he should get a tattoo?

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 13, 2013 23:01

Or lauhing for nothing on stage, raising arms.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:03

Munichhilton
His Majesty
DoomandGloom

Maybe he should get a tattoo?

Maybe he already has one!? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 13, 2013 23:04

71Tele
As someone who clearly prefers Taylor's period in the band overall to Wood's, it pains me to say that not only have Taylor's skills diminished but that he has lost the ability and perhaps the interest in melding with a song rather than just playing lead. The Taylor I miss is the one who put in all those tasty rhythm parts and licks on songs like Sympathy and I'm Free from Ya Yas. Even on Brussels when he was soling more he knew when to lay out and put in counterpoints to what Keith was doing. Now he simply chews up the landscape with lead guitar. That doesn't mean he still isn't the most exciting musician on stage when he's there (I think he is), but I just wish he would be playing songs that feature his overall tasteful and melodic approach to a song rather than just guitar solos. Maybe he can't do that anymore and that's why they are not playing stuff like CYHMK and TWFN. I don't think his years away from the Stones playing in inferior bands have helped him as a musician.

Taylor still has the ability within his fingertips, but he's less inclined to have a clear perspective of where he's taking his muse. Taylor, in his original time with the band, seemed to have a precise vision within where he was going, and all those subtle little elements to his playing added up to to a most impressive whole, almost like them all being vital pieces of a jigsaw. These days, Taylor's approach relies less on craft, and more on spontaneity. I really didn't care about the fact that Taylor was no showman, because such was his guitaring precision, it could only be achieve with a minimum of distractions. Today, he shows flashes of the old magic, yet there is a lack of consistency. I just wish he had the same level of commitment to which he had in his youth.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:10

And a look as accurate, introspective and detailed at Ronnie and his playing evolution, this results in what ? Just (really) curious !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 23:12 by roby.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:22

In 2012/2013 all three living stones guitarists are having their own guitar playing renaissance.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:36

I don't remember having read on this board and in the reviews Keith and Ronnie had lost "something" in their playing. Don't remember at all... Never. Just better and better years after years...

Date: May 13, 2013 23:36

Not according to the maestro, roby smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 13, 2013 23:41

Mathijs
Funny thing is -I listened to the San Jose 2013 version of Rambler, and during the first shuffle jam Taylor starts to solo. Within 30 seconds he starts noodling again, playing these useless fake jazz fusion runs. I am absolutely sure Keith wanted to shout at that moment 'shut the fvck up' again, just like he did in '72.

Mathijs

Mathijs's own fetisse... no one else has ever heard that from LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, but he is keep on circulating it as a fact....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 13, 2013 23:42

Really ?

"Ronnie and Keith played much better than last year", "this show was by far the best to date", " better than during the previous Tour". that is I've always read...

DandelionPowderman

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 23:55 by roby.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:44

Doxa
Mathijs
Funny thing is -I listened to the San Jose 2013 version of Rambler, and during the first shuffle jam Taylor starts to solo. Within 30 seconds he starts noodling again, playing these useless fake jazz fusion runs. I am absolutely sure Keith wanted to shout at that moment 'shut the fvck up' again, just like he did in '72.

Mathijs

Mathijs's own fetisse... no one else has ever heard that from LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, but he is keep on circulating it as a fact....grinning smiley

- Doxa

grinning smiley

Maybe Keith is saying it in Dutch?

Date: May 13, 2013 23:47

His Majesty
DoomandGloom

I take it you weren't raised in Queens or Long Island.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 23:49 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:51

DoomandGloom
I take it you weren't raised in Queens or Long Island.

Correct. smiling smiley

Date: May 13, 2013 23:55

roby
Really ?

"Ronnie played much better than last year", "this show was by far the best to date", " better than during the previous Tour". that is I've always read...

DandelionPowderman

So?

Which show did you attend, that gave you such a bad experience, making you complain to deaf ears again and again?

Or are you just one of the cell phone critics, just asking?

Date: May 13, 2013 23:56

DandelionPowderman
These are not facts, Mariana.

And the songwriter has every right to do what he thinks is best for his song.
So, Keith wasn't living with Ron for months on end before Taylor left the band, Mick didn't have Ron play on at least the demos for IORR and gave Ron an "inspiration" credit for that song while not giving Taylor any credits for songs that he helped write (at least two on IORR and two on Exile), that Keith wiped Taylor's guitar tracks off of parts of IORR, and that Ron was available for the Stones at the time Taylor left, since he had no other job after the Faces had ended? I'm not sure what in that set of "facts" that have been published in books is not true, anymore than other sets of "facts" that may have been published elsewhere, like in Keith's self-serving "autobiography." Even Ron says that Jagger and Richards are difficult personalities. He just has a better ability to put up with it than Taylor or Wyman.

Date: May 14, 2013 00:01

Paris 1995, Paris 1998, Hockenheim 2003, Paris 2007, Lausanne 2007.

To be honest, I've never got over my huge disappointment from Paris 2007... But I stop here. Bye.

Have a wonderful end of Tour smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-14 00:02 by roby.

Date: May 14, 2013 00:04

You're wrong on several accounts, unfortunately, mariana.

Firstly, Ronnie went back on tour with the Faces after the Stones-tour in 75.

Secondly, Taylor was also a friend of Ronnie's and participated in the very same sessions.

Thirdly, Keith would wipe any track he wasn't happy with - ask Bill.

Fourthly, the song writing claims are rumours, never fully given as the reason Taylor left the band, although he weirdly claimed to have written Next Goodbye.

Finally, many of the things you are stating are taken from the same books I've read, and they are indeed not confirmed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-14 00:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 14, 2013 00:06

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa
Even if he did, it's meaningless, Taylor played long and loud but it never seemed to bother the singer. Taylor has his moments expanding into Holdsworthisms, much of that style has gone by the wayside at the moment. When the band had to lift themselves out of the regular and compete with the best guitar gunslingers of the day they had theirs. Like CSN without Y there's a giant difference.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:13

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

At 3:12.

Mathijs

Date: May 14, 2013 00:22

I don't get calling Mick Taylor a "failure" regardless of why he left the Stones. He was hired by Bob Dylan after he left the Stones, and no matter what happened in his musical life after that fact, that's enough to conclude that somebody of merit thought he was good and therefore, not a failure.

Date: May 14, 2013 00:22

Mathijs
Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

At 3:12.

Mathijs

Thanks for posting; I never noticed that: Keith gets upset and Taylor doesn't give a shit. Those were the days. Priceless.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:27

VT22

Thanks for posting; I never noticed that: Keith gets upset and Taylor doesn't give a shit. Those were the days. Priceless.

Difficult to judge footage, but to me Taylor stops the noodling and looks quite sheepisly to Richards.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1153
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home