Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Mick Taylor anwers the question.
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:58

[www.youtube.com]

MT answers the question about who is better Stones guitar player.

Re: Mick Taylor anwers the question.
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 12, 2013 10:02

I don't think there is any question.. he is the best LEAD guitarist the Stones ever had.

That's what he said.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 10:14

lapaz62
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for posting Lapaz62, I agree with Taylor.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:49

Me too..

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 12, 2013 12:39

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 12, 2013 12:56

Meh...not this again, now Taylor is even joining in. Ronnie has more dignity than to make silly statements such as this.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 12:59

while he may be right, he certainly has no class in making such a statement.

"my work speaks for itself" would have been a sufficient answer.

anyone who sees this who is unfamiliar with mick taylor is going to think he's just a jerk, which is a shame.

Date: May 12, 2013 13:41

crumbling_mice
Meh...not this again, now Taylor is even joining in. Ronnie has more dignity than to make silly statements such as this.

What's silly about Taylor's remark, he is entitled to his opinion? Ronnie's dignity suits him by not making such remarks btw. Nothing but a good sense of musical introspection when it comes to RS music.

Date: May 12, 2013 13:56

To me his comment is just another sign of where his head was truly at when he joined The Rolling Stones, when he played with them and when he left them.

Taylor is better purely from a technical point of view, but as far as creative, essential, contribution based guitar greatness goes Keith has always been the best guitarist in The Rolling Stones. The fact that two of The Rolling Stones most celebrated albums were essentially done with Keith as the only guitarist is testament to that.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:18

Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards surely does not mind Taylor saying that, from a technical and melodical point of view Taylor's remark is common sense.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:30

Given the fairly amateur technical standard of Keith and Brian, any number of guitarists could have joined and seen themselves as the best stones guitarist.

It's a silly claim for a whole number of reasons.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:30

Mick is correct. But Woodie is more like Brian Jones in that
He can play almost any instrument he puts his hand on.

I like to have both guys if I had a band.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:39

His Majesty
To me his comment is just another sign of where his head was truly at when he joined The Rolling Stones, when he played with them and when he left them.

Taylor is better purely from a technical point of view, but as far as creative, essential, contribution based guitar greatness goes Keith has always been the best guitarist in The Rolling Stones. The fact that two of The Rolling Stones most celebrated albums were essentially done with Keith as the only guitarist is testament to that.

Richard's forte- apart from his songwriting skills- is his ability as a rhythm player and creating a very solid atmosphere with it. He's TRUELY a master at that in stone age rockmusic. In that context, Let it Bleed is probably his best album. Great rhythm playing. If you listen to Taylors words and way of speaking in the posted clip, he'a aware of that. Mick is referring to his his own skills as a lead player. Apart from Mick's technical abilities, I do think as a lead player -on stage in particular- he has more interesting stories to tell than Richards. Mick's feeling and sound gives me goosebumbs. Richards doesn't, at least not to me. His Berry riffs are priceless though. His slide is unstable, and his pentatonic noodling always sounds a bit sloppy and too predictable to me. But then that's just my opinion. Music is a matter of taste.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:41

Nothing Mick Taylor played live or or in the studio is better than Brian's slide guitar on No Expectations or Keith's soloing on Sympathy For The Devil from Beggars Banquet.

My criteria for judgment is not technical ability, but pure emotional and musical relevance. Brian's fragile slide guitar ties in perfectly with the emotional aspect of No Expectations. Keith's spikey and hot playing perfectly ties in with the lyrics and delivery of Sympathy For The Devil.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:43

His Majesty
Nothing Mick Taylor played live or or in the studio is better than Brian's slide guitar on No Expectations or Keith's soloing on Sympathy For The Devil from Beggars Banquet.

My criteria for judgment is not technical ability, but pure emotional and musical relevance. Brian's fragile slide guitar ties in perfectly with the emotional aspect of No Expectations. Keith's spikey and hot playing perfectly ties in with the lyrics and delivery of Sympathy For The Devil.

Yes, talking about emotions, HM..winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:44

lapaz62
[www.youtube.com]

Correction: he said about 10 years ago that he's "probably the best lead guitarist the Stones ever had", not the best rock guitarist ever. Well, that's simply the truth and nothing wrong with it. He wasn't boasting at all nor showing false modesty. And finally the legend of his shyness has gone, which is good.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:46

VT22
His Majesty

Yes, nothing Taylor played is more emotionally connected or musically relevant than those examples.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:46

kleermaker
lapaz62
[www.youtube.com]

Correction: he said about 10 years ago that he's "probably the best lead guitarist the Stones ever had", not the best rock guitarist ever. Well, that's simply the truth and nothing wrong with it. He wasn't boasting at all nor showing false modesty. And finally the legend of his shyness has gone, which is good.

It's only true from a technical point of view.

Date: May 12, 2013 14:55

His Majesty
VT22
His Majesty

Yes, nothing Taylor played is more emotionally connected or musically relevant than those examples.

Sure, there is always some one better. Ry Cooder is my all time slide favorite. grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:06

It's not a @#$%& contest.

Date: May 12, 2013 15:07

Better is the wrong word when comparing great things. I don't think anyone could improve on those examples from Beggars Banquet because they just tie in with the songs and music so well.

Different, but also great takes on those two songs could and did happen, but to say they are better is missing the point of the greatness of those studio recordings and also missing the point of music IMO.

Are any pieces of popular music better than Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing on Machine Gun from Band of Gypsies? No way! As ridiculous as it may seem, I think Brian's slide guitar playing on No Expectations is as musically spot on as Hendrix's playing on Machine Gun though. The vast technical distance between them doesn't matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 15:15 by His Majesty.

Date: May 12, 2013 15:12

His Majesty
kleermaker
lapaz62
[www.youtube.com]

It's only true from a technical point of view.

From a musical and emotional point of view it's also true. But well, we know we have different opinions on this subject and will never agree. Music is no mathematics. So one can even say Brian Jones was the best guitarist in history of music without proven wrong.

Imo Brian was far more important as a multi-instumentalist than as a guitar player, however good his slice playing is on Rooster and No Expectations. But that's about all.

Date: May 12, 2013 15:17

kleermaker

From a musical and emotional point of view it's also true.

It's not.

Date: May 12, 2013 15:18

His Majesty
kleermaker

From a musical and emotional point of view it's also true.

It's not.

It is

Your turngrinning smiley

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:22

crumbling_mice

Bullocks. If Ronnie had said it, it wouldn't have been merely silly. It would have been ludicrous.

Hell, just pairing the words "Ronnie" and "dignity" with each other is ludicrous.

Date: May 12, 2013 15:24

His Majesty
Better is the wrong word when comparing great things. I don't think anyone could improve on those examples from Beggars Banquet because they just tie in with the songs and music so well.

Different, but also great takes on those two songs could and did happen, but to say they are better is missing the point of the greatness of those studio recordings and also missing the point of music IMO.

Are any pieces of popular music better than Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing on Machine Gun from Band of Gypsies? No way! As ridiculous as it may seem, I think Brian's slide guitar playing on No Expectations is as musically spot on as Hendrix's playing on Machine Gun though. The vast technical distance between them doesn't matter.

It's a matter of taste, I wrote that 3 posts ago.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:19

THing is, you didn't ever hear the likes of Hendrix making such bold comments, neither Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Page or any of the acclaimed guitarists. Don;t get me wrong, I'm as a bigger admirer of Mick Taylor's guitar work as anybody, I just think that those sort of comments are crass, arrogant and undignified.

The likes of us mere mortals can say such things about our favourite guitarists but for them to say it about themselves is bad form. While Taylor was in the Stones he was the 'best' guitarist in technical terms, but he can;t write a song to save his life and that is the difference between him, Clapton, Beck, Wood, Hendrix and Richards - he's a gigging guitarist.

I saw Taylor in a small club in Leeds back in the early 80's and to be honest he wasn't playing particuarly well and from other clips over the years he lost his way quite a bit, so it's good to see him playing well again and having fun. I hope he gets to play on a few more songs. But for the future, I wish he would just let his playing do the talking.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:23

Keith Richards is the best and most versatile player the Stones have ever had hands down end of discussion. Mick Taylor is also very good he is a poorman's Eric Clapton a great solo player.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:22

Why can't he answer the question of why he is incapable of pulling it together well enough to join the band on stage for more songs?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:23

slew
Keith Richards is the best and most versatile player the Stones have ever had hands down end of discussion. Mick Taylor is also very good he is a poorman's Eric Clapton a great solo player.

Blessings upon you

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home