Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Mick Taylor anwers the question.
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 22, 2013 14:30

DandelionPowderman
CanYouHearTheMusic
His Majesty
Nothing Mick Taylor played live or or in the studio is better than Brian's slide guitar on No Expectations or Keith's soloing on Sympathy For The Devil from Beggars Banquet.

My criteria for judgment is not technical ability, but pure emotional and musical relevance. Brian's fragile slide guitar ties in perfectly with the emotional aspect of No Expectations. Keith's spikey and hot playing perfectly ties in with the lyrics and delivery of Sympathy For The Devil.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you sure that's Brian on the slide on "No Expectations?" In every interview I've ever read with Keith, as well as just watching the brief recording session scenes in Jean-Luc Godard's Sympathy For The Devil, Keith made it sound like Brian is basically a non-event on Beggars Banquet. I thought Keith played 95% of the guitar on that record and that Brian just showed up and passed out high during those sessions. Isn't that Keith on slide?

It is Brian for sure. However, Keith plays the slide on Jig Saw Puzzle.

Yes, it's Brian, I believe its his only/last contribution

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 22, 2013 14:33

Thrylan
I believe its his only/last contribution

It is neither.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:02

His Majesty
Thrylan

It is neither.

it is on no expectations .

Date: May 22, 2013 19:07

straycatblues73
His Majesty
Thrylan

It is neither.

it is on no expectations .

No Expectations was neither his only contribution to Beggars Banquet or his last contribution to The Rolling Stones.

Date: May 22, 2013 19:15

I suppose he plays autoharp on LIB or something, at that point he could hardly play with himself.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:16

Thrylan
I suppose he plays autoharp on LIB or something, at that point he could hardly play with himself.

i don't think you actually play autoharp...you just hit a button or something, right?

Date: May 22, 2013 19:23

GRNRBITW
Thrylan

i don't think you actually play autoharp...you just hit a button or something, right?

Kind of the point....bemusement

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:25

Thrylan
GRNRBITW
Thrylan

i can't play guitar for shit, but i do play an excellent autoguitar....

Date: May 22, 2013 19:30

GRNRBITW
Thrylan
GRNRBITW
Thrylan

i can't play guitar for shit, but i do play an excellent autoguitar....

Just surround yourself with two or three other players, and.....wait

Date: May 22, 2013 19:31

Thrylan

How do you know? Did you see him play guitar or anything during January - June 1969?

Regarding Beggars Banquet, Brian plays other instruments on the album and contributed to other related tracks from those Spring - early summer 1968 recording sessions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 19:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:39

GRNRBITW
Thrylan

Mathijs

Date: June 7, 2013 12:37

Nice autoharp. As for Brian, wasn't the Keith quote something to the effect of, "at that point he had drank, doped and #%&@#&* himself beyond all usefulness. No Expectations is basically his swan song, right? He looks pretty useless in One Plus One.......IMO....

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home