Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Mick Taylor anwers the question.
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:55

As someone who clearly prefers Taylor's period in the band overall to Wood's, it pains me to say that not only have Taylor's skills diminished but that he has lost the ability and perhaps the interest in melding with a song rather than just playing lead. The Taylor I miss is the one who put in all those tasty rhythm parts and licks on songs like Sympathy and I'm Free from Ya Yas. Even on Brussels when he was soling more he knew when to lay out and put in counterpoints to what Keith was doing. Now he simply chews up the landscape with lead guitar. That doesn't mean he still isn't the most exciting musician on stage when he's there (I think he is), but I just wish he would be playing songs that feature his overall tasteful and melodic approach to a song rather than just guitar solos. Maybe he can't do that anymore and that's why they are not playing stuff like CYHMK and TWFN. I don't think his years away from the Stones playing in inferior bands have helped him as a musician.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:57

Yes the truth is that if it wasn't for Keith, we wouldn't hardly know the names Mick Taylor or Ron Wood. This is a fact.

Date: May 12, 2013 22:59

I'm sure he is able to, Tele. However, he doesn't really have much time on stage, and there is a possibility he thinks the fans want him there for the solos as well.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:00

DandelionPowderman
Lead guitar is just a little part of your duties as a guitar player.

There should be no doubt about Keith being the most important guitar player in the Stones. That goes for all eras.

i was assuming everyone knew this, otherwise, why be at this website at all :-)

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:04

DandelionPowderman

There should be no doubt about Keith being the most important guitar player in the Stones. That goes for all eras.

It's not a little part, it's a speciality, imo.

Date: May 12, 2013 23:04

DandelionPowderman
I'm sure he is able to, Tele. However, he doesn't really have much time on stage, and there is a possibility he thinks the fans want him there for the solos as well.

Yes, DP, he is trying to cram everything into one song, after 37+ years. But I still think he has turned into the guitar-hero soloist that some here accuse him of being in the Stones, when he never really was (except possibly in '73). I would like to see what he could do on a song with more dynamics. They did Love In Vain at the warm-up show, but it hasn't surfaced, and they have not attempted it again (for whatever reason).

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:09

71Tele
he has turned into the guitar-hero soloist that some here accuse him of being in the Stones, when he never really was (except possibly in '73).

I agree that he wasn't - to his credit - and I wonder if MT himself knows that one of the things that truly made him great was his restraint, his ability to play off of the rhythm guitarist, and to interchange his own playing between rhythm and lead. What he and Keith did together on those tours was really special.

Date: May 12, 2013 23:09

sonomastone
DandelionPowderman

i was assuming everyone knew this, otherwise, why be at this website at all :-)

Not everybody knows this on this board. Take a look around grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:39

VT22
Mathijs
VT22
Mathijs
His Majesty
The fact that two of The Rolling Stones most celebrated albums were essentially done with Keith as the only guitarist is testament to that.

Mathijs
Ps you got to have quite some nerve to state you where the best lead guitarist, and then play this dreadful song with this dreadful band....

That interview was 10 years ago and he was referring to his playing 40 years ago. So your remark is irrelevant as far a Micks' "nerves" are involved.

In a 2009 interview in Spain, Taylor admitted that he once was a great guitarist but he'd rather stay at home and play the piano these days, or something like that.. He's perfectly aware of his diminishing skills, and frankly, I think he doesn't give a shit what anybody else thinks about it.

It doesn't matter whenever that interview was -when you raise the bar that high you got to deliver and live up to it. It's just ludicrous to state you are the best, and then play such a terrible song with such terrible band.

And I agree that Taylor doesn't give a shit about what anybody else thinks -that's why he had such miserable carreer after he left the Stones.

Mathijs

I'm quite sure he doesn't give a shit about your opinion either winking smiley

It's a bit anoing Mathijs only jumps in debates about Mick and Brain......that's said grinning smiley

Mathijs
Ps you got to have quite some nerve to state you where the best lead guitarist, and then play this dreadful song with this dreadful band....

As he said where the best lead guitarist you don't have the nerves to say this and if he said where what has that to do with this band.......

And about the interview I think he meant ...he just said I probably the best LEAD guitarist the Rolling Stones ever had....My guess: it isn't hard to say your the best lead guitarist of the Rolling Stones because they didn't had one before

Date: May 12, 2013 23:44

What do you mean by "didn't have one before"?

By that logic there aren't any lead guitar on BB or LIB...

Date: May 12, 2013 23:48

The standards of being a lead guitarist increased/ changed in the late 6-tees/early 7-tees. Keith couldn't fulfill that role. Taylor could. No need to reply.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:01

crawdaddy
Mick Taylor is not that good at interviews and maybe he doesn't think before he speaks.
Mick Jagger is the opposite. He knows what to say,and never slips up. smoking smiley

I agree - may be he thinks before he speaks, but has a lack of routine in TV interviews.
And the interviewing woman nearly puts those words into his mouth, the way she asked.....Well, not everybody is so talented in these things like Jagger.

I do not think Mick Taylor is that big head, running around and telling he is the best lead guitarist in the Stones, but he might have a serious attitude as a musician.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 00:05 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:04

DandelionPowderman

Your right my friend grinning smiley they played lead guitar before and great too .. but not as a lead guitarist as VT22 pointed out........

No need to reply. (Thanks VT22)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 00:13 by NICOS.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:07

Forgot to mention I prefer BB or LIB above EOMS and SF

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:10

VT22
The standards of being a lead guitarist increased/ changed in the late 6-tees/early 7-tees.

He took on such things in his own unique way. cool smiley

Date: May 13, 2013 00:14

His Majesty
VT22
The standards of being a lead guitarist increased/ changed in the late 6-tees/early 7-tees.

Who, Keith or Mick? smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:15

NICOS

It's a bit anoing Mathijs only jumps in debates about Mick and Brain......that's said grinning smiley

I am only interested in the Stones up to '83, and mainly interested in the guitar/music making and recording side of it.

Mathijs

Date: May 13, 2013 00:18

NICOS
DandelionPowderman

Your right my friend grinning smiley they played lead guitar before and great too .. but not as a lead guitarist as VT22 pointed out........

Their approach pre Taylor was more unique, Taylor brought in an approach more in keeping with what other bands were doing which in turn made them sound more like other bands of the time. winking smiley

Date: May 13, 2013 00:19

VT22
His Majesty
VT22

Who, Keith or Mick? smiling smiley

Keith.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:25

His Majesty
NICOS
DandelionPowderman

Their approach pre Taylor was more unique, Taylor brought in an approach more in keeping with what other bands were doing which in turn made them sound more like other bands of the time. winking smiley

Being unique is not necessarily better. May I ask what contemporary bands you like?

Date: May 13, 2013 00:33

VT22
His Majesty
NICOS
DandelionPowderman

Being unique is not necessarily better. May I ask what contemporary bands you like?

Unique is preferable, especially when it's in the context of groovy songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 00:33 by His Majesty.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:39

His Majesty
VT22
His Majesty
NICOS
DandelionPowderman

Unique is preferable, especially when it's in the context of groovy songs.

Let's agree to disagree then. To me the duo Taylor / Richards was both unique and groovy. My ears followed Taylor's playing more though, more interesting to analyze.

Date: May 13, 2013 00:49

VT22

Let's agree to disagree then. To me the duo Taylor / Richards was both unique and groovy.

Taylor was not really unique in the context of the times.

The combination of Taylor/Richards was unique within the context of the stones as that Bluesbreakers thread of lead focused playing hadn't really been there before, but again, not really unique in terms of contemporary rock music of the time because it was a major part of various other bands.

Date: May 13, 2013 01:03

His Majesty
VT22

Let's agree to disagree then. To me the duo Taylor / Richards was both unique and groovy.

The combination of Taylor/Richards was unique within the context of the stones as that Bluesbreakers thread of lead focused playing hadn't really been there before, but again, not really unique in terms of contemporary rock music of the time because it was a major part of various other bands.

Yes within the context of the Stones, that's what I'm talking about. What made
Richards unique as a guitarist pur sang then, in the context of his time, in your opinion? ...cool smiley

Date: May 13, 2013 01:20

Mathijs
NICOS

I am only interested in the Stones up to '83, and mainly interested in the guitar/music making and recording side of it.

Mathijs

I know Mathijs....I know you longer then today........I only want keep things in balance grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 01:24 by NICOS.

Date: May 13, 2013 01:34

VT22
His Majesty
VT22

Yes within the context of the Stones, that's what I'm talking about. What made
Richards unique as a guitarist then, in the context of his time, in your opinion? ...cool smiley

With Brian whizzing about on different instruments Keith developed in to something akin to a more earthly hendrix, minus the flash. cool smiley

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 13, 2013 01:39

71Tele
As someone who clearly prefers Taylor's period in the band overall to Wood's, it pains me to say that not only have Taylor's skills diminished but that he has lost the ability and perhaps the interest in melding with a song rather than just playing lead. The Taylor I miss is the one who put in all those tasty rhythm parts and licks on songs like Sympathy and I'm Free from Ya Yas. Even on Brussels when he was soling more he knew when to lay out and put in counterpoints to what Keith was doing. Now he simply chews up the landscape with lead guitar. That doesn't mean he still isn't the most exciting musician on stage when he's there (I think he is), but I just wish he would be playing songs that feature his overall tasteful and melodic approach to a song rather than just guitar solos. Maybe he can't do that anymore and that's why they are not playing stuff like CYHMK and TWFN. I don't think his years away from the Stones playing in inferior bands have helped him as a musician.

What an asinine remark. He gets at most two songs a show. He has not played on SFTD since he left the band. Give the guy a chance, which the Stones, won't. I am sure its no longer over pay but rather ego. They are scared letting this guy loose again and showing them that neither of their current guitarists can consistently solo as well. Yes MT's abilities have diminished somewhat...he still is way out front when called upon to do so...

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:40

crumbling_mice
Meh...not this again, now Taylor is even joining in. Ronnie has more dignity than to make silly statements such as this.

Ronnie has said Taylor is a virtuoso, up there with Clapton etc. and by comparison that he (Ronnie) himself is just a noodler. Ronnie has also said that he (Ronnie) was a better guitarist than Keith and Keith knows it. Of course Ronnie was being mostly modest and polite in the first instance, and having fun in the second, even if he may have meant either of those two things even a little bit, in the context in which he was presented with the question(s).

Here too, Taylor is not being boastful in my opinion, but merely answering a silly question on TV. My best guess is he was thinking of Keith in qualifying his answer so as not be rude, and he was on the spot and the spot and didn't think of Ronnie or didn't think of him as a pure "lead guitarist".

I am quite sure both Ronnie and Taylor have egos so to speak, but neither is one to trash anyone else. Its rare in either case.

Date: May 13, 2013 04:14

duffydawg
71Tele

What an asinine remark. He gets at most two songs a show. He has not played on SFTD since he left the band. Give the guy a chance, which the Stones, won't. I am sure its no longer over pay but rather ego. They are scared letting this guy loose again and showing them that neither of their current guitarists can consistently solo as well. Yes MT's abilities have diminished somewhat...he still is way out front when called upon to do so...

I have been listening to Mick Taylor for 43 years. Sorry you think my remark was asinine. I would love to see him onstage for the entire night, but I do believe it is accurate to point out that his playing has changed since he left the group.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:31

More drama.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 04:32 by The Sicilian.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home