Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick & Keith Interaction at Staples & Oakland
Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:10

GRNRBITW
71Tele
rambler44
71Tele
rambler44
71Tele
rambler44
71Tele
rambler44
JumpinJackOLantern
nightskyman
JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted
It is easy to understand why Mick feels betrayed by Keith's portrayal of him in Life, and why this has been so painful for him.

More than any press or magazine interview, Keith, one of the people who knows Mick more thoroughly than anyone else outside of family, has attempted to paint a definitive--and unflattering--personality portrait, whereas Mick likes to keep his public persona on an enigmatic level. Mick feels that his control over his own public identity has been violated by Keith's portrait of him, right down to something he has never once shown in public--the, er, todger.

In the old days, The Stones never wrote books about each other, and they never complained about each other to the media. They kept to their own little social microcosm, and they regarded each other as their own best friends. If they ever had personal issues with Brian Jones or if Keith felt betrayed by Mick's dalliance with Anita during the shooting of Performance, then no one would have been the wiser. The only way such things would come to be known would be courtesy of the Spanish Tonys or the unauthorized book-writing hacks. Perhaps Mick feels that Keith pulled a Spanish Tony or a Victor Bockris or a Philip Norman, when he should have instead just been playing his guitar and writing more songs.

It's easy for Mick to shrug off tomes like Philip Norman's or Christopher Anderson's attempts at biography--these people don't know Mick Jagger, have no personal relationship with the man. But when a similarly chilling personality appraisal comes from someone you've known since you were in grade school and had even lived with in the fraternal early days of your musical collaboration, then it must be very painful indeed.

Perhaps, in the end, Keith shouldn't have traded heroin for alcohol--at least then he would have kept his mouth shut and left the book-writing to the journalistic hacks who are more suited to the trade.

As much as I like Keith he really blew it by writing about Mick so negatively in his book. And he really didn't have to go there because the book was going to be a national best seller no matter what. I have no idea what was going on inside his head. He must have thought the Stones were over after ABB.

I tend to disagree. I think Keith's book was good PR move for the band's potential '50th' tour, however unpleasant some of his remarks on Jagger were.
At least, maybe that was his thinking. I can't imagine Jagger being too upset by anything in the book (especially if true).

In the beginning I thought it was exactly that. I even went so far as to say that the book was part of some master plan scripted by Mick Jagger to keep the Stones in the news while they "killed time" awaiting the 50th anniversary. Today, I don't see it that way. I think there is some real unresolved issues between these gentlemen that probably won't get worked out in this lifetime barring some miracle. The good news is that they have a working relationship that is working at the moment, but may not carry over into the studio - that's the bad news. So we wait and hope, but if this is it, then we still should be thankful. It may not be the perfect ending, but it's still a damn good one. They are performing magnificently. What more can a fan ask for within the context of a live performance. They are still the greatest show on earth!
Great thought. Mick's reaction to the comments in Life made me realize that there are serious issues and hurt feelings on both sides here. I am a huge fan of Keith's that goes beyond music. His attitude and way he goes about life has been an inspiration for me to overcome and stand up to being bullied as a teenager and to confront and meet head on some things in my life. But I was bitterly disappointed with his comments about Mick in the book mostly because Mick has always protected Keith.

Mick always stood by Keith and never publicly bashed him during his 10 year crippling Heroin addiction that nearly blew up the band (this also did give Mick the opportunity to seize control of the Stones which became a bone of contention when Keith emerged from his addiction). And Keith has always said nothing would ever jeopardize the Stones which is why he finally kicked the Heroin addiction. SO it is more puzzling why he said what he did in Life, which was going to be a huge hit without those comments.

But sadly as JumpingJack says this may jeopardize any future new music. And that will be a shame because maybe many don't agree but I think Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, & A Bigger Bang are quite good. With a Bigger Bang having some of their best work in years. I know Keith wants to make new music and maybe he doesn't feel it now but I think Mick will come around. No matter what it does seem that whatever happens between these two men, there is a connection and a calling that somehow always brings them together. And yes Mick, that sounds a lot like family to me!

The only thing that jeopardizes new music is the lack of inspiration from the two songwriters. In seven years they produced exactly two new songs - both culled from solo demos that were of middling quality, to put it generously (though no doubt some here think Gloom and Doom is the new Brown Sugar - ok). People who need to write songs want to get those songs recorded and performed.
Well I would not consider the years bewteen writing a big deal. It's been forever since Rod Stewart wrote any new music but suddenly he got inspired and put out what I consider a pretty strong Album of new material a couple of days ago.

OK, I'll be waiting for this new "strong" Stones album...

So I take it you don't think Bridges to Babylon or A Bigger bang were any good?

Let's not go there...

Nothing off A BiggerBang?? Not even Back of MY Hand, Rough Justice, Laugh, I nearly Died, or She Saw me Coming??

Let me answer it this way: We've had over 15 years to digest Bridges and 7 for ABB.

digest? you mean recover from, right?

You guys are tough! YOu don't even like Saint of Me or Out of Control? FLip the Switch??

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:13

jamesfdouglas
Nasty Habits
GumbootCloggeroo
How exactly do you guys want Mick and Keith to interact on stage? Do you want to see them blow kisses at each other? Do you want Mick on his knees simulating oral sex while Keith solos? Do you want them to highfive each other after each song?

What do you want?

Couldn't agree more, why over analyse everything!

I always felt that people who getting all blushy when these two old men share a mic are secretly hoping they'll 'finally kiss'??

Mmmm... (smooch, smack, lick)...

Or at least have their lips accidentally touch during 'Happy'

Date: May 9, 2013 20:33

What is it with the ignorant people on this site that think Mick and Keith getting along equates to people wanting to see them kiss? Really? It is not just the Stones celebrating 50 yrs. The fans have been along for the ride too. Some of us would just like to see that these two men get along and can interact with each other like they each do with the rest of the band. IF they really hate each other and are going out of their way to not have any interaction, it makes seeing them live not as good. Where you people get that means we want them to kiss is just so ignorant!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:36

rambler44, I don't want to see them kiss. I'm merely making a mockery of this whole damn interaction whining thing. But it's cute that you took it to the extreme like that. I kiss you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 20:40 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: May 9, 2013 20:50

GumbootCloggeroo
rambler44, I don't want to see them kiss. I'm merely making a mockery of this whole damn interaction whining thing. But it's cute that you took it to the extreme like that. I kiss you!

Thank you! I needed a little lovin!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:01

rambler44
GumbootCloggeroo

Thank you! I needed a little lovin!

Get a room.

Posted by: JaIsNotDead ()
Date: May 11, 2013 18:57

GumbootCloggeroo
How exactly do you guys want Mick and Keith to interact on stage? Do you want to see them blow kisses at each other? Do you want Mick on his knees simulating oral sex while Keith solos? Do you want them to highfive each other after each song?

What do you want?

LOL. Hilarious. Laughed while reading this.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home