Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Where is Blondie Chaplin?!
Posted by: albop ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:35

He plays on the new Joe Bonamassa-Beth Hart's cd :

[bethhart.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 6, 2013 15:05

gitmo

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 6, 2013 16:25

Nobody could ever hear him. I always thought it was pretty pointless having him on stage. On the other hand - he won the jackpot during his tenure with The Stones: He travelled the world, played in sold out stadiums, lived in the best hotels around, toured under best conditions, private planes, limousines, you name it, and was payed well (I assume) but had ZERO responsibility on stage, since nobody heard him. He couldn't do anything wrong. Great job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 16:26 by Glammy.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 6, 2013 16:38

Yep, an absolute waste of space having him on the tour, as people above suggest, he was inaudible on the previous tours and this role of covering for Keith is just silly. BLondie used an acoustic the majority of the time and it was in 6 string normal tuning as far as I could tell, so whilst he may have been strumming along with the chords, this would have minimal effect as a back up to an electric. He's not even that good a guitarist so why bother.

He got a frigging good deal out of the Stones and I hope he doesn;t feel bitter about being left out this time around. The golden rule in the Stones is once you are expendable then good bye. What a shame Chuck Leavell still manages to avoid the chop!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 16:47

FirstTimeSeattle81
I thought and still do that all those weird inflatable palm trees that people were waving about like idiots were really in bad taste.

It probably was, but Keith seemed pretty amused by it in "Life".

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:01

Glammy
Nobody could ever hear him. I always thought it was pretty pointless having him on stage. On the other hand - he won the jackpot during his tenure with The Stones: He travelled the world, played in sold out stadiums, lived in the best hotels around, toured under best conditions, private planes, limousines, you name it, and was payed well (I assume) but had ZERO responsibility on stage, since nobody heard him. He couldn't do anything wrong. Great job.

I've been saying that for a long time. He strummed major and minor chords that couldn't be heard. Again I have NEVER heard his guitar live or on any bootleg.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:11

MILKYWAY
More Hot Rocks
I never heard Blondies guitar with the Stones. I could never hear him live or on bootlegs. It's like he was never plugged in.

I think you are actually talking about Keith. You are hearing Blondie.

Ridiculous. If that we're true then all the bitchers on this forum that claim Keith sounds awful actually hated how Blondie sounds...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:12

Munichhilton
MILKYWAY
More Hot Rocks
I never heard Blondies guitar with the Stones. I could never hear him live or on bootlegs. It's like he was never plugged in.

I think you are actually talking about Keith. You are hearing Blondie.

Ridiculous. If that we're true then all the bitchers on this forum that claim Keith sounds awful actually hated how Blondie sounds...

that's prolly why he was kicked out of the band. keith's next....

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:46

gaigai
Thank God, he wasn't invited. Mediocre musician, if not bad. Seen him live some years ago, nothing, absolutely nothing. But when he was onstage with the stones, Keith and Ronnie thought, no matter if the don't focus on their playing, after all, there's a background guitar. The Keith- and Ronnie-parts are much better played now, that Blondie is out of the picture. I'm quite happy about this fact.

Agreed 100%. Blondie simply not needed on this tour.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:18

Blondie is here :

video: [youtu.be]

Date: May 23, 2013 17:19

More Hot Rocks
Glammy

I've been saying that for a long time. He strummed major and minor chords that couldn't be heard. Again I have NEVER heard his guitar live or on any bootleg.

Listen to Nearness Of You from Live Licks. The acoustic guitar there (with chords Keith and Ronnie never would do) is Blondie's.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:32

i miss the blonde fella...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:34

DandelionPowderman
Listen to Nearness Of You from Live Licks. The acoustic guitar there (with chords Keith and Ronnie never would do) is Blondie's.

Yes - and listen to Satisfaction from the Live Licks album. His strumming-acoustic can be heard quite clearly throughout. Pointless as it may have been, his playing on such occasions proved to be tasteful enough, but it was during the openers when he'd be playing behind the curtain, so to speak, that I could never quite understand. I recall various renditions of Jumpin' Jack Flash where he would be sat down, just filling-in.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:34

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:50

Lisa ate him

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:44

Here's hoping Blondie Chaplin is working on another solo album while not with the Stones anymore. "Between Us" from 2007 has been very enjoyable, and I have yet to hear the unreleased "Fragile Thread" from 2000.

Are there any news on further solo work from Blondie?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:48

At the first Soldier Field (Chicago) show in 2005 they did a fantastic encore of IORR. Amazing jam that lasted 8 minutes.. only one problem... Blondie's acoustic guitar was twice as loud as Ronnie and Keith combined. Terrible.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 24, 2013 01:58

DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
Glammy

Is this the only example?

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 24, 2013 03:25

MidnightLurker
Lisa ate him

I seriously laughed out loud at this...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 24, 2013 05:07

More Hot Rocks

That's his job, just fatten up the sound without really being heard. He never played "licks", although on numbers like "Streets of Love" that require more of a wall of sound, he was probably higher in the mix. I can understand using him on numbers like that, but in general there's just no need, and it invites dumb-ass theories that he's covering someone's licks.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 24, 2013 05:24

DandelionPowderman

In the opening seconds of the clip, I thought it was actually Keith Richards talking about Blondie Chaplin. Blondie has that drunken perma-slur down.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 06:03

milkway your off your rocker if u think blondie was playing instead of keith.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 06:37

He's no longer a blondie. He's a brunette. Even Dagwood is confused of his whereabouts.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 24, 2013 07:54

stonesdan60
Somebody woke up and realized he really wasn't needed. Lisa and Bernard are more than enough for backing vocals, although I'd rather they revert to having Keith and Ronnie barking and growling their ragged but right backups ala 1978 - 1981. And maybe somebody deliberately decided that Blondie had to go so that Keith would realize he's got to focus and play the way we want him to...without a net. Seems like he's risen to the occasion.

I have to agree I did prefer the striped down 1978 tour as ragged as it sometimes got to the big shows with extra performers and the blow-up dolls.Give me the 5 guys with a good piano player (I miss Ian) and Bobby Keys adding sax on a plain open stage, good sound, and maybe a screen for the people in the back rows to see. This isn't a Vegas show, It's Rock and Roll.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 24, 2013 07:59

Blondie was a fine musician in his day. He toured with The Beach Boys and later versions of The Band. He's also known as a huge party animal. This tour and this band have taken a major step towards respect for their audience and professionalism. One look at 50+ and you realize it's never to late to go out and do your best in life.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 24, 2013 08:19

stonehearted
Perhaps he'll be playing with Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks.

Now yer talkin'!

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 08:42

There was a woman in the pit in Anaheim standing at the entrance with a sign saying, "Where is Blondie?".

And doesn't Matt Clifford play a horn on YCAGWYW now? (Besides being musical director for the different city choirs?)

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 08:53

mighty stork
stonesdan60
Somebody woke up and realized he really wasn't needed. Lisa and Bernard are more than enough for backing vocals, although I'd rather they revert to having Keith and Ronnie barking and growling their ragged but right backups ala 1978 - 1981. And maybe somebody deliberately decided that Blondie had to go so that Keith would realize he's got to focus and play the way we want him to...without a net. Seems like he's risen to the occasion.

I have to agree I did prefer the striped down 1978 tour as ragged as it sometimes got to the big shows with extra performers and the blow-up dolls.Give me the 5 guys with a good piano player (I miss Ian) and Bobby Keys adding sax on a plain open stage, good sound, and maybe a screen for the people in the back rows to see. This isn't a Vegas show, It's Rock and Roll.

Absolutely.....81' also. At least mistakes were understandable then. I can't stand more than one horn, Bobby can handle it.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:14

wish they could lose chuck leavell, he is seriously messing up sp many songs. What he does on SFTD is just dreadful

Date: May 24, 2013 09:37

uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
Glammy

Is this the only example?

It's the only example I can think of, yes smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home