Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 13, 2013 02:51

I was sure this thread would make it to 100 pages before it shut down.

Time to change it to "we want mick Taylor to continue touring with the stones"

He wouldn't add anything in the studio. Their issue in the studio isn't soloing its songwriting.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 13, 2013 07:05

...and inspired playing, i.e. a big difference between B2B and ABB

Anyway, wishing for some more Mick Taylor tonight! Start time moved from 20.30 to 20.25 to account for the presence of CYHMK vs Bitch?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 07:08 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 13, 2013 10:49

Mojo Magazine, November 1997
The November 1997 issue of Mojo Magazine featured articles on Keith Richards as part of the promotion for the Bridges to Babylon CD and tour. Further articles were interviews with Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor, and especially the interview with the latter is really interesting –as he quite simply sums up why he left the Stones in December 1974: boredom on not touring, disliking the Stones entourage, the feeling of being stood up by Mick Jagger on royalties of It’s Only Rock and Roll tracks (Time Waits For No One that is) and “own personal problems” -Taylor was a serious coke addict in early 1974, even being hospitalised two times in Germany during sessions for the It’s Only Rock and Roll album. In addition it can be said that various people have said in interviews that Taylor’s then wife Rose was really pressing him to leave the band, as she felt that he was the real star of the band, and that the Stones would fall apart anyway very soon.
The interview reads:
On his entry as Brain Jones’ replacement:
I went along to do what I thought was some session work when the Stones were just finishing Let It Bleed at Olympic. When I was there I realised I was actually being auditioned. We did Live With Me from scratch and I overdubbed my part on Honky Tonk Women. Then Mick asked me to join. It was a pleasant shock. I think I said "Well, I'll think about it" very tongue-in-cheek. I was six or seven years younger than them. When they'd hit the big time I was still at school. My sister was a big Stones fan. She always reminds me of when she would put Little Red Rooster on and I'd say, "Turn that rubbish off and put Revolver on."  

We rehearsed for the Hyde Park concert, my debut, at The Beatles' studio at Savile Row. We had these small Fender twins and a little PA system and we sounded like a garage band. I couldn't believe it because there was such a huge difference between the way the Stones sounded on record and the way we sounded in the rehearsal studio. Everything was out of tune, sloppy, but they had a kind of chemistry that really did come together on record. Apart from the magic Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had of coming up with these great rock 'n' roll songs, most of it was down to the people who were producing. We had Jimmy Miller and great musicians like Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston.  Otherwise they could have sounded like any old Camden Town blues band.
They didn't tell me what to play. I think me and Keith had a really good way of playing together, although our styles are very different. Hyde Park was a great occasion, but I didn't think we played very well.  It was very out of tune. It was probably Keith and me -- but mostly Keith.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying that now.
On leaving the Stones:
I'd been thinking about leaving a lot that year. I saw the group as not going anywhere. We hadn't toured since 1972 and I suppose I was bored. I also had personal problems. My marriage was falling apart, maybe that coloured my judgement. I remember Bill Wyman saying to me he was thinking about leaving. I did have a falling out with Mick Jagger over some songs I should have been credited with co-writing on It's Only Rock'n'Roll. We were quite close friends and co-operated quite closely on getting that album made. By that time Mick and Keith weren't really working together as a team so I'd spend a lot of time in the studio.  
One thing I disliked was that the Stones were invariably surrounded by hangers-on telling them how wonderful they were. I didn't get along with a lot of them. Drugs weren't really the problem. It's no secret that Keith was a heroin addict by then and I was becoming one, but my problems got worse a lot later. Mick wasn't into all of that, he was more of a control freak. I doubt he'd ever take anything that would get the better of him.
I told Mick at a birthday party for Eric Clapton I was leaving. It took me a long time to settle down afterwards. I'd lost all my friends from the John Mayall days.  I'd been living out of a suitcase. It was at least a year before I started playing again. I've seen the members of the Stones on and off since -- I'm hoping Bill Wyman will play on the album I'm making now. I remember the time with them as fun -- we were a band of gypsies living and traveling together 24 hours a day, but it wasn't always fun making the records.  In fact it was so painful I used to hate listening to them.  But now I think the records we made were great. The whole experience made me more cynical. One of the reasons I haven't bothered to make records of my own is because I don't get paid for some of the biggest selling records of all time. Frankly, I was ripped off. You get cynical about the music business and it stops you playing. But three or four years ago I decided that one way or another I should carry on making music.  So now I'm back in the studio and we've done five tracks. The album will probably be called Secret Affair and it's going to be very good. 
Mick Taylor
John Mayall, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, Mick Taylor's been the man for the job. Now after 30 years playing other people's music, he's finally doing his own. Julian Piper reports.  
It is 30 years since the stabbing of a 19-year-old member of the audience at a Rolling Stones concert in California. At the North London office of Mick Taylor's manager, Jeff Allen, the tension is palpable. The victim was allegedly trying to shoot Mick Jagger at the Altamont Speedway gig and his murder neatly signalled the end of the days of peace and love. Mick has just been interviewed for a television programme planned to mark the debacle, and he's not happy to be forcibly reminded of this unpleasant chapter in The Stones' chequered history. Scowling, with his guitar case in hand, he stalks the reception area seemingly oblivious to the charms of the slender young lady in brown leather trousers, who's been flown over from New York specially to interview him, and is now pursuing him in terrier fashion gushing with sincerity and apologies. Mick is clearly relieved to sit down and discuss things that have always mattered - guitars and music.
 "I suppose that I was fortunate to come from a musical background," says Mick, finally on safe ground. "My mother played the piano and I was always encouraged to play music, especially by my father. My uncle played guitar and he gave me some lessons when I was about eleven years old. Then in 1955, I saw Bill Haley and the Comets play at Golders Green Hippodrome and from about that time I was completely captivated by music. I loved Elvis and all of those early rock 'n' roll players.
 By the time you were a teenager you'd played with a succession of London bands before you discovered blues. Was it a big leap?
 'To me the kind of rock 'n' roll that I heard in the fifties, like Eddie Cochran, really just came from the blues, so it wasn't such a huge leap. I'd heard Chuck Berry and ended up buying a Chess Records compilation with people like Little Walter and Muddy Waters on it. I was immediately attracted to the guitar players; people like Freddie King and Buddy Guy. At that time I just hadn't heard anyone make a guitar sound quite like that. Then I was really lucky to see players like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf play in London clubs like the Flamingo in Wardour Street in Soho, and became completely hooked!'
 At 15, you got an incredible break when Eric Clapton failed to show for a gig with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Wasn't that just a little bit too good to be true? 
'No, it really did happen! For some reason Eric just hadn't made the gig. But his gear -a Les Paul and an AC30 or Marshall combo - was already set up on the stage. I had the nerve to go up and speak to John backstage and being the kind of guy that he is, he gave me a chance. It was the same year that the John Mayall album with the Beano cover came out so it would have been about 1966. After the gig he took my phone number, and when Peter Green left, he got in touch and asked whether I would be interested in joining.
I wasn't nervous about the idea - although I knew that I was a complete beginner - but the fact that I had to follow in the footsteps of Clapton and Peter Green did make me nervous! Obviously, I wanted to try and get the same sort of sound, so I bought a wonderful '58 Les Paul from Selmer's music shop in Charing Cross Road where the late Paul Kossoff worked as a guitar salesman. 
I used the Les Paul with a Marshall 50 watt top and 4x12 cabinet for quite a while and eventually bought an SG and a Strat, which I sometimes used for recording. I've more or less used the same equipment ever since I started out. I still use a Les Paul - a newish one and a Seva which is a Strat-type guitar with stronger pickups. 
I still like using Fender Twin amps because they have such an excellent reverb, and I usually link it up to either a Marshall combo or Marshall 50 top and a 4x12 cabinet. It has to be in the fingers. I don't like effects much, although I do occasionally use a wah wah pedal.  
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers brought out two 'live' albums when you were with the band entitled 'Diary Of A Band', complete with glitches and even a segment titled 'Local Boy Makes Good' when you played your hometown. They've always served as a candid snapshot of John Mayall in his prime. How representative were they? 
'Working with John was always a very 'loose' situation and those albums are just what they say. A lot of the time he would just say 'this is a slow blues in G' or 'a slow blues in A Minor' or 'a fast shuffle in B'. In the studio it would be a bit more organised, but even the studio sessions were done very quickly. 
Returning from an American Tour in 1969 you received a telephone call that would change your musical career for good. Can you tell us a little about that? 
John called me to say that he intended to do the 'Turning Point' album which wouldn't involve a regular rhythm section. He'd known the Stones since their earliest days and he told me that they would like me to go down to Olympic Studios and do some session work on the album 'Let It Bleed'. Well that's what I thought it was, but they asked me to join the next day!
Looking back at it now, it was a very pleasant shock and I was very tongue in cheek about the whole thing. I said something like; 'I'll let you know'. I was, after all, a few years younger than them and could remember when they'd first made it big, having arguments with my sister about how The Beatles were much better. It was all very unreal.
The huge upcoming Hyde Park Concert was to be my debut with the band and so we began rehearsing at The Beatles' studio in Savile Row. That too was also something of a shock. I'd only really heard The Stones on record before, yet here we were rehearsing with Fender Twins and the sort of small PA system I was used to using with John Mayall, meshing two guitars together is never easy at the best of times.
I wasn't as nervous about playing with The Stones as I was when I was playing at the Marquee with John Mayall when I was 17! In a strange way, when you play on such a large stage, it's a whole lot easier; the audience is far more remote. Plus it was a different sort of band; it wasn't focused on one individual's guitar style. It was a band playing songs with guitar solos. Keith and I never planned anything out - particularly in a live situation. We would switch from lead to rhythm, back and forth. We never had a set pattern and that was what made playing in the band so interesting. Keith was great to work with, very loose and we were a little bit sloppy and out of tune sometimes, but there were no electronic tuners in those days!
If I had to choose one album from those days with the Stones, I think it would be 'Beggars Banquet'. In my opinion it was the best collection of rock 'n' roll songs that they ever wrote. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I now look back on those days as a very valuable part of my life - they brought out the best in me.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 13:08

Come on Rolling Stones and Mick Taylor, can you give it one more time, the real thing please!

Date: July 13, 2013 13:13

They are still doing fantastic renditions of, and more melodic, All Down The Line, imo.

But I love that lost live album thumbs up

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 13, 2013 13:46

svt22
Come on Rolling Stones and Mick Taylor, can you give it one more time, the real thing please!

Is it a case of hurting Ronnies feelings if MT plays? Great RW re-ignited MJ+KR for their later works but what about the fans' feelings? Seems entirely justified that MT plays on MT-era songs and brings euphoria to the *many* fans. A case of one versus many?

@Stones, the Glastonbury CYHMK is a small sampler of what MT can do. Pls put egos aside for at least one complete show and allow MT to play. If not then please release all the vaulted 1972/1973 concert footage in digitally remastered format so can get the awesomeness from another angle. For your legacy's sake pls consider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 13:48 by muffie.

Date: July 13, 2013 13:52

DandelionPowderman
They are still doing fantastic renditions of, and more melodic, All Down The Line, imo.

All down the line these days? Gimme a break - I'm sorry, gimme shelter - Taylor on slide / lead when playing ADTL / GS please.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: July 13, 2013 16:09

svt22

[Edit: This is gorgeous, like all the Gimme Shelters of that blessed period in the Rolling Stones history... Then...]

Then search kleermaker1000's YouTube Gimme Shelter posts... eye rolling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 21:27 by MarkSchneider.

Date: July 13, 2013 17:00

Don't you Taylorites have all these shows?

Drop me an email, if you'd like a particular one on cd.

Date: July 13, 2013 17:29

MarkSchneider
svt22

Then search kleermaker1000's YouTube Gimme Shelter posts... eye rolling smiley
Who the F you see K is Kleermaker? grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2013 17:38

Perfect ending for this thread.

A 1972 recording.
This is what the Taylorites want.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: July 13, 2013 18:35

You "antitaylorites" should be grateful for the good company and the good time you seem to have here. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 18:37 by MarkSchneider.

Date: July 13, 2013 19:28

Likewise for you "anti Stones" fans grinning smiley

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: July 13, 2013 22:37

Putting out a mind meld to MJ to invite MT to stay after he comes on for CYHMK. Miracles do happen.

Date: July 13, 2013 23:36

svt22
DandelionPowderman

All down the line these days? Gimme a break - I'm sorry, gimme shelter - Taylor on slide / lead when playing ADTL / GS please.

I'm talking about the cake. You're talking about the icing only...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 13, 2013 23:38

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

A dry cake

Date: July 13, 2013 23:38

And by listening to Taylor's clean sound slide on MR, the dream of recreating the classics (ADTL 1972) won't be fulfilled, unfortunately.

Date: July 14, 2013 11:02

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

A dry cake

Mick, Keith and Charlie - a dry cake on ADTL? Really? Really?

Sometimes love is blind...

Date: July 14, 2013 12:25

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

A dry cake

@ DP, just a personal note: All I want to point out is that it would have been great to have Taylor playing on the Taylor era songs (LIB included) cause he would have done them more justice than Wood - and the other way around of course. That said I think both Wood and Taylor are equal as guitarists these days, if we can compare musicians anyway. That was the message of my comment after the first gig in London last year. So I'm not blind, if your post was addressed at me.

I'm still a bit disappointed about Taylor's current playing, I didn't expect much from Wood anyway, and the rest of the band, well, they all are getting old. Like you stated: "1972/1978 is over".

To me all the Stones members deserve a healthy and happy retirement, if they didn't for many years already. thumbs up

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: July 14, 2013 12:46

Lost it

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 14, 2013 12:53

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
L

One objection though: You seem intent on reducing Mick Taylor to be icing of the cake only. And you rather often tend to level the worth of his contributions. Expressing this as one that values most phases of the band. Some possibly consider him to be the very cake, that is (more or less) true. I think there have been some posters on the other hand, (I count myself among those), that would have liked him to be part of the cake. A subordinate part on most songs, which he is on "Satisfaction" by the way; that would be reasonable, as he is a former member of the band, nonetheless asked to take part. However, present on stage all the time. And to play a more prominent part on for instance three songs (instead of only one). Preferably, on varying songs.

Now this became the post I felt the urge to write, instead of giving an appreciation of the concert.

(Written clumsily on a phone before I walk out into the sunshine, there without any WiFi).

Date: July 14, 2013 14:12

svt22
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

My post was addressed to kleerie smiling smiley

However, I know what you mean, and I don't necessarily disagree.

I just don't buy the statement about all the Taylor-songs they play without him today are crap. It's simply not true.

Like you say, we've heard Taylor on slide this tour, and unless he is a wizard, his slide playing won't be the same as people expect on ADTL.

I think he knows that himself, hence MR and CYHMK would be more suitable for his current playing style.

It's like expecting Ronnie to play like he did in the Faces. Won't happen. ..

A dry cake

@ DP, just a personal note: All I want to point out is that it would have been great to have Taylor playing on the Taylor era songs (LIB included) cause he would have done them more justice than Wood - and the other way around of course. That said I think both Wood and Taylor are equal as guitarists these days, if we can compare musicians anyway. That was the message of my comment after the first gig in London last year. So I'm not blind, if your post was addressed at me too.

I'm still a bit disappointed about Taylor's current playing, I didn't expect much from Wood anyway, and the rest of the band, well, they all are getting old. Like you stated: "1972/1978 is over".

To me all the Stones members deserve a healthy and happy retirement, if they didn't for many years already. thumbs up

Date: July 14, 2013 14:12

svt22
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

A dry cake

@ DP, just a personal note: All I want to point out is that it would have been great to have Taylor playing on the Taylor era songs (LIB included) cause he would have done them more justice than Wood - and the other way around of course. That said I think both Wood and Taylor are equal as guitarists these days, if we can compare musicians anyway. That was the message of my comment after the first gig in London last year. So I'm not blind, if your post was addressed at me too.

If you really mean this after having listened to Knocking at Glastonbury you're or totally nuts or a disappointed man. I bet on the latter. cool smiley

Date: July 14, 2013 14:23

kleermaker
svt22
That said I think both Wood and Taylor are equal as guitarists these days, if we can compare musicians anyway. That was the message of my comment after the first gig in London last year. So I'm not blind, if your post was addressed at me too.

If you really mean this after having listened to Knocking at Glastonbury you're or totally nuts or a disappointed man. I bet on the latter. cool smiley

Well Kleer, you know I'm nuts, but yes, the latter.winking smiley

Date: July 14, 2013 14:33

Witness
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
L

One objection though: You seem intent on reducing Mick Taylor to be icing of the cake only. And you rather often tend to level the worth of his contributions. Expressing this as one that values most phases of the band. Some possibly consider him to be the very cake, that is (more or less) true. I think there have been some posters on the other hand, (I count myself among those), that would have liked him to be part of the cake. A subordinate part on most songs, which he is on "Satisfaction" by the way; that would be reasonable, as he is a former member of the band, nonetheless asked to take part. However, present on stage all the time. And to play a more prominent part on for instance three songs (instead of only one). Preferably, on varying songs.

Now this became the post I felt the urge to write, instead of giving an appreciation of the concert.

(Written clumsily on a phone before I walk out into the sunshine, there without any WiFi).

My point was that when the rest of the band play the same songs brilliantly, his contributions become the icing of the cake. Sometimes he improves the songs, sometimes not.

I understand the romantic thing about a former member should play on all songs, but if you've played with three guitarists before, and with a big machinery like the Stones' band, you'll see that it is bound to be a messy line up.

I think they have solved it perfectly, although I would have preferred him on a couple of more songs myself.

Many tend to forget, though, he is not in the band. Had he played on all songs, it would have reduced other band members' tasks.

Date: July 14, 2013 14:49

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
L

My point was that when the rest of the band play the same songs brilliantly, his contributions become the icing of the cake. Sometimes he improves the songs, sometimes not.

I understand the romantic thing about a former member should play on all songs, but if you've played with three guitarists before, and with a big machinery like the Stones' band, you'll see that it is bound to be a messy line up.

I think they have solved it perfectly, although I would have preferred him on a couple of more songs myself.

Many tend to forget, though, he is not in the band. Had he played on all songs, it would have reduced other band members' tasks.

For better or worse?grinning smiley

Date: July 14, 2013 15:06

svt22
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
L

Both.

Date: July 14, 2013 15:09

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
L

Both.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 14, 2013 15:59

How the hell do we know what Taylor is capable,of playing wise,in 2013 when not once has he been given a charm to "warm up"?How much easier could he nail CYHMK if it was his 2nd or 3rd consecutive song?If you watch his 2003 guest spot on John Mayall's 70th Bday concert,he plays his arse off because he is given a long set and can ease himself into it.

Date: July 14, 2013 16:48

bonddm
How the hell do we know what Taylor is capable,of playing wise,in 2013 when not once has he been given a charm to "warm up"?How much easier could he nail CYHMK if it was his 2nd or 3rd consecutive song?If you watch his 2003 guest spot on John Mayall's 70th Bday concert,he plays his arse off because he is given a long set and can ease himself into it.

Also his rehearsing time with the band was extremely short. It's just wonderful what he has played beside MR: a handful outstanding Knockings and two very nice Sways (especially given the frame the Stones use to play that song).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home