Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 04:29

svt22
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
Duffy, you behave like a troll! My post was both analytical and pragmatic.

You probably haven't got the faintest idea of what those words mean, let alone the art of mannered discussion.

You owe him a decent answer, DP. cool smiley

He didn't ask me of anything, and I certainly don't owe him a thing. On the contrary, he owes me something smiling smiley

But let him think that Taylor on 15 songs would improve his playing. I'm not gonna dispute that - if that is what he believes. Would be nice if he told us why, though, and what 15 of his friends think doesn't count!

No, it won't improve the playing, be it 2 or 15 songs, be it Mick Taylor or Ron Wood, and I'm not going to dispute that either. As they say in England: "It's six of one and half a dozen of the other". smiling smiley

Enjoy Hyde Park! thumbs up

Gary Clark Jr. has came out for one song, three times now, I believe, and has smoked every time......MT knows the songs.....

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: July 9, 2013 10:14

With the recent MRs and Glastonbury's CYHMK, Mick Taylor buries any controversy for good.

Even Mick Jagger finally shows respect and affection for him...

No news from Mr DDDD and company? tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 10:53 by MarkSchneider.

Date: July 9, 2013 12:35

Thrylan
svt22
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
Duffy, you behave like a troll! My post was both analytical and pragmatic.

You probably haven't got the faintest idea of what those words mean, let alone the art of mannered discussion.

You owe him a decent answer, DP. cool smiley

He didn't ask me of anything, and I certainly don't owe him a thing. On the contrary, he owes me something smiling smiley

But let him think that Taylor on 15 songs would improve his playing. I'm not gonna dispute that - if that is what he believes. Would be nice if he told us why, though, and what 15 of his friends think doesn't count!

No, it won't improve the playing, be it 2 or 15 songs, be it Mick Taylor or Ron Wood, and I'm not going to dispute that either. As they say in England: "It's six of one and half a dozen of the other". smiling smiley

Enjoy Hyde Park! thumbs up

Gary Clark Jr. has came out for one song, three times now, I believe, and has smoked every time......MT knows the songs.....

Gary's set was awesome. He will be the next great crossover blues artist.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 00:29

Lets hope Taylor kicks some serious ass at HP 2
More Taylor please.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 10, 2013 01:09

svt22
More Taylor please.

+1!

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 10, 2013 01:14

Doxa
svt22
More Taylor please.

+1!

- Doxa

Let's hope he gets a real chance, just like at Glastonbury where he shone like in the good old days. Two songs will be the maximum at HP2 I guess. A blistering Love In Vain will do, next to an epic Rambler. But ... can't get enough!

Date: July 10, 2013 01:16

The dream is not over, Kleermaker, the dream is not over!

- Doxa

Date: July 10, 2013 01:24

Doxa
The dream is not over, Kleermaker, the dream is not over!

- Doxa

It's not over till it's over!

Date: July 10, 2013 01:25

But honestly, since I happen to be privileged to attend the show, for me "just" seeing and hearing Taylor only in "Midnight Rambler" is good enough, and all the rest from him is extra. But for the sake of a bigger picture, I still hope he will do more, and, for example, we might get "Love In Vain". That would be something to dig when all the personal, subjective euphoria is gone. Just for history's and good music's sake!

- Doxa

Date: July 10, 2013 01:30

Doxa
But honestly, since I happen to be privileged to attend the show, for me "just" seeing and hearing Taylor only in "Midnight Rambler" is good enough, and all the rest from him is extra. But for the sake of a bigger picture, I still hope he will do more, and, for example, we might get "Love In Vain". That would be something to dig when all the personal, subjective euphoria is gone. Just for history's and good music's sake!

- Doxa

I really hope you get to see Taylor as much as never before. I'm one of the privileged who saw him playing a whole show in 73. Just unbelievable.

Date: July 10, 2013 01:44

Yeah, more Taylor, the better, but, in the end, I'm just happy to see the Rolling Stones...

By the way, not seen any interview of Taylor about how he feels now... it could feel be a bit awkward to be re-introduced as a sort of band member/special guest in the same very place as back then... But I guess this gig is a piece of cake for him than what it was in 1969...

- Doxa

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: July 10, 2013 03:56

MT RULES ONCE AGAIN!!!

The only thing gayer than Ronnie Wood pumping his fists all the time is Jagger behind Charlie Watts shanking the kongas....

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 10, 2013 04:19

In a good-natured way, he should pull a KC '81, If they play Miss You before Rambler like they have the last few sets, when he comes on for Rambler, he just stays put through the rest of the night. Would they kick him off if he respected the soundspace and added to the breaks?

A little bit of that rebellious rock-n-roll spirit to burst out of the barn, a well-intentioned bit of civil disobedience, an unscripted dynamic in the warhorse run. Lay low during SMU and sparse parts of the other songs, showing you're there to support the songs, then let 'er rip during solo breaks where noone's stepping up. A real 44th anniversary to his stage debut with them there.

If they could trust a 20 year old in '69 to play his whole first show with them (when they didn't have the consistent backing night to night of the larger modern-era touring band), then surely they can trust that same person to play the last hour of Saturday's set.

"and Mick T grasped the nettle, it's sink or shine
on the banks of the Serpentine.
Don't hold back. Be bold, be bold baybah!"

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 10, 2013 12:00

Doxa
svt22
More Taylor please.

+1!

- Doxa

Yes, please! Oh, please!

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: July 10, 2013 15:18

Reminder:

(kleermaker1000's post on YouTube)

With this Glastonbury's CYHMK and recent MRs, Mick Taylor buries any controversy for good.
Even Mick Jagger finally shows respect and affection for him... maybe they succeeded in concluding a contract grinning smiley

No news from Mr DDDD and company?tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-10 15:23 by MarkSchneider.

Date: July 10, 2013 17:28

duffydawg
MT RULES ONCE AGAIN!!!

The only thing gayer than Ronnie Wood pumping his fists all the time is Jagger behind Charlie Watts shanking the kongas....

Gayer, as in the word's true meaning: Funnier?

Yeah, Ronnie always was the funny guy...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 10, 2013 19:22

MarkSchneider
Reminder:

With this Glastonbury's CYHMK and recent MRs, Mick Taylor buries any controversy for good.
Even Mick Jagger finally shows respect and affection for him... maybe they succeeded in concluding a contract grinning smiley

That's the best thing i've seen Taylor do on this tour, and it proves he still has it in him to be great. I have never doubted his abilities, but when he does manage to sustain his form throughout his performance, he truly puts the rest of the Stones in the shade, in my opinion.

Oh how i wish Taylor could play an entire show with the Stones.

Date: July 10, 2013 19:41

Edward Twining
MarkSchneider
Reminder:

That's the best thing i've seen Taylor do on this tour, and it proves he still has it in him to be great. I have never doubted his abilities, but when he does manage to sustain his form throughout his performance, he truly puts the rest of the Stones in the shade, in my opinion.

Best solo ever cool smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 10, 2013 19:57

That 10 minutes version of CYHMK is a bit of a drag I'm sorry to say. I wouldn't mind if they skipped the song on the setlist. That goes for Keith's two solo songs also. And half of the second part setlist as well. Then we would have an energized 90 minutes setlist that doesn't bore the daylight out of me!

Whether Taylor is on or not really doesn't matter to me. It's good for him though to be able to do a last tour with the band and, hopefully, earn a decent dollar.

Date: July 10, 2013 20:22

Putting Mick Jagger in the shade??

Really grinning smiley

No one can do that.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: July 10, 2013 20:24

I'm glad they played CYHMK at Glastonbury, and hopefully at HP 2 also...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-10 20:25 by kwf.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 20:25

Edward Twining

thumbs up

Me too....... But I would definately have to be in the audience for it!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: July 10, 2013 20:32

DandelionPowderman
Putting Mick Jagger in the shade??

Really grinning smiley

No one can do that.

Taylor was in charge this time.

Date: July 10, 2013 20:36

It's a band, not a military regiment, kleerie grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 10, 2013 21:07

No news from Mr DDDD and company?tongue sticking out smiley[/quote]

Not quite sure if you are deaf or blind or willfully ignorant or a little of all of the above.

Couple points.
When you say Mick J "finally" shows some respect for Mick T., is it because you just haven't paid any attention? You know, EVERY time he introduces him?? Or when he invited his old FRIEND to play with them AT ALL? Or when he said " F$%&*ing Great!! we Love him".. Oh. Wait. You heard that one apparently. Rules out deaf.

Secondly, I LOVED the solo and like most long time fans am THRILLED for Mick Taylor and the band to have him on the tour and playing on SELECT songs.
REALLY pleased for him and the band when he has an outstanding APPEARANCE.

WHY??
Because I'm a ROLLING STONES FAN.

(unlike you Mick Taylor fans and non Jagger fans,which is kind of pathetic when you think about it)

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 10, 2013 21:12

Stoneage
That 10 minutes version of CYHMK is a bit of a drag I'm sorry to say. I wouldn't mind if they skipped the song on the setlist. That goes for Keith's two solo songs also. And half of the second part setlist as well. Then we would have an energized 90 minutes setlist that doesn't bore the daylight out of me!

Whether Taylor is on or not really doesn't matter to me. It's good for him though to be able to do a last tour with the band and, hopefully, earn a decent dollar.

Yes Stoneage, i see your point, although i often think (and this doesn't especially apply to you here), that those who are always wanting numerous changes in the set list, and that are often opposed to the Stones playing the old warhorses, are often subconsciously attempting to find that glimmer of the old Stones magic, and if they don't find it in the songs being played at the time, they want the Stones to perform different songs, or introduce Mick Taylor, for example, in an attempt to find a way for them to reconnect with the group, and hopefully reaquaint themselves with the old Stones magic. The fact that many of the songs they do re-introduce after a lengthy period of time, have that novelty value, as in not being played to death, are of interest on a first or second listen, but thereafter tend to become a little tedious like the rest of the Stones set list. My thoughts on 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', is it only really comes into its own after Keith's initial riff ends, and Mick stops singing, and it approaches the Bobby Keys/Mick Taylor parts, where it becomes musically interesting. The Stones could almost play the song minus the first half, because it's only arguably the second half that is truly inspiring, in my opinion.

The greatness of Taylor at this point is not his consistency, which at times he's lacked, but those little glimpses of his playing, which enables what has become an all too familiar Stones live set up, to reach that other level. When Taylor does reach a more consistent level, as in the Glastonbury clip, he gives the Stones a musical credibility they could only have dreamed of, since those early eighties tours. No, the changes in set lists doesn't work in inspiring the Stones to reach that other level, or next gear, but the re-introduction of Taylor does, whether he's fully on form, or he isn't. Sometimes i'll admit i have found his playing a little frustrating, because i love what he has the potential to deliver, but when he is on form, i think it's a time for rejoicing, such is his effectiveness in contributing to the overall Stones sound.

Glastonbury, for me, aside from Taylor's contribution, was a cut above the Stones more recent shows, thankfully. My belief is that the Stones were a little more meticulous in their approach, and it was only really Keith who appeared that little more mediocre. I still don't believe many of the songs truly have the ability to transcend the moment fully, like in the old days, but there are some nice touches along the way, and especially from Ronnie. The feeling i had, which i have never had before this, is it would be great to see Mick Taylor and Ronnie collaborating more fully, because when they are both on form, they are arguably the best things to be found at a present day Stones concert. My ears pricked up to the sound of Ronnie's guitar, which it hasn't done in quite a while.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: July 10, 2013 22:05

Kids today have grown up in the jam band era...the 10min CYHMK fits the Stones into that genre...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 10, 2013 22:12

They played both CYHMK and MR at Glastonbury, known as a young persons festival (i think). Why not Hyde Park?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 10, 2013 22:33

Being that it was not a Stones only crowd at Glastonbury, MJ pleasantly surprised me by putting Knocking in the set. I'd guess at Hyde Park the odds are slimmmer that it gets played, just because it's a ten minute tune when the Stones are already cutting down to 2 hrs or less. I'd say Sway, but the whole of it is kind of sorry live, maybe just have MJ say "Sway, here's MT to solo for 3:30", ha ha.

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 23:16

Edward Twining
Stoneage

Yes Stoneage, i see your point, although i often think (and this doesn't especially apply to you here), that those who are always wanting numerous changes in the set list, and that are often opposed to the Stones playing the old warhorses, are often subconsciously attempting to find that glimmer of the old Stones magic, and if they don't find it in the songs being played at the time, they want the Stones to perform different songs, or introduce Mick Taylor, for example, in an attempt to find a way for them to reconnect with the group, and hopefully reaquaint themselves with the old Stones magic. The fact that many of the songs they do re-introduce after a lengthy period of time, have that novelty value, as in not being played to death, are of interest on a first or second listen, but thereafter tend to become a little tedious like the rest of the Stones set list. My thoughts on 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', is it only really comes into its own after Keith's initial riff ends, and Mick stops singing, and it approaches the Bobby Keys/Mick Taylor parts, where it becomes musically interesting. The Stones could almost play the song minus the first half, because it's only arguably the second half that is truly inspiring, in my opinion.

The greatness of Taylor at this point is not his consistency, which at times he's lacked, but those little glimpses of his playing, which enables what has become an all too familiar Stones live set up, to reach that other level. When Taylor does reach a more consistent level, as in the Glastonbury clip, he gives the Stones a musical credibility they could only have dreamed of, since those early eighties tours. No, the changes in set lists doesn't work in inspiring the Stones to reach that other level, or next gear, but the re-introduction of Taylor does, whether he's fully on form, or he isn't. Sometimes i'll admit i have found his playing a little frustrating, because i love what he has the potential to deliver, but when he is on form, i think it's a time for rejoicing, such is his effectiveness in contributing to the overall Stones sound.

Glastonbury, for me, aside from Taylor's contribution, was a cut above the Stones more recent shows, thankfully. My belief is that the Stones were a little more meticulous in their approach, and it was only really Keith who appeared that little more mediocre. I still don't believe many of the songs truly have the ability to transcend the moment fully, like in the old days, but there are some nice touches along the way, and especially from Ronnie. The feeling i had, which i have never had before this, is it would be great to see Mick Taylor and Ronnie collaborating more fully, because when they are both on form, they are arguably the best things to be found at a present day Stones concert. My ears pricked up to the sound of Ronnie's guitar, which it hasn't done in quite a while.

I could not have stated this any better. Especially the Ronnie and Mick t statements. Ronnie carries the riff, Mick T and Bobby carry the solo and blues and Charlie carries the beat on this one. Mick T owns this tune big time. You know it when he hits that cord that makes keefy show those pearly whites. Mick J and keef really do enjoy Mick Taylor on board. There expressions and comments back that up. And Ronnie eats it up.
I'd like to see more of Taylor at each show but I enjoy anything. Don't forget. He is playing on MR every concert. And that song, above all, are mick jagger and keith richards anthem. If inviting Mick Taylor to play on their song isn't a compliment or repatriation nothing is.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home