Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Date: May 22, 2013 15:02

terraplane
Yep at that point he was leading the band.

Exactly! And that is something else than MR and Sway, imo.

PS: and he did that brilliantly thumbs up

Date: May 22, 2013 15:06

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
He was not "out", and he handled the vocals on those songs just as good as he handles the other songs smiling smiley

To me this observation sounds strange. Especially in "Knocking" I haven't seen so "weak" Jagger for ages. Both singing- and performing-wise. Straight from teh start he sounds uninspired and just trusting in his routines (which, of course, are, extraordinary), but he almost losts the feeling - or idea - for the singing as his part goes on, and finally sounds like doing karaoke - the lasts lines are simply a struggle, so that finally the mark of "yeah" (or whatever it is) for the band to start the jam part, sounds like a relief to him. "Finally it came".

Or was he waiting almost as much as each of us Taylor's solo, and was nervous how might that go....grinning smiley

Anyway, Jagger's body language and his performance while playing maracas and listening to Taylor's solo, was not very inspired either. Fisrt time this tour I had the feeling that Jagger has run out of ideas and point. Like he didn't have a natural role there. Or was he just digging Taylor?

"Sway" was better, but still insecure performance from Mick.

To repeat myself, I made this observation beacuse Jagger's been extremily strong and inspired throughout the tour.

- Doxa

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. He is 70 years old, and he chooses his moments where he can give those 100 percent. This just isn't such a moment, as it's a song, mostly dominated by instrumentation.

The "insecurity" by Mick (only a few times, though) was more due to three guitar players who all played differently during the verses smiling smiley

I think Mick handled the difficult parts in Sway ("There must be ways", "It's just that demon life". "One day I woke up to find" ), where there is dynamics and use of range involved way better than I expected.

If we should complain about Mick's singing, I would choose songs like JJF and Tumbling Dice instead.

I can be reading too much into it, and I really hope I am making a wrong interpretation, but's the way I see it.

Your point about Mick being insecure thanks to "three guitar attack" goes exactly along the lines I have argued here. Must easier to trust and follow Chuck.

"Complaining"? Again that very word to kill all the honest observation-making, judging and the point in discussing anything. Only cheerleading allowed when talking about the Rolling Stones performances, right? C'mon!

- Doxa

I'm not talking about the "three guitar attack". That hasn't exactly happened yet, btw - as Ronnie or Keith has taken turns on drawing back.

I'm talking about a unrehearsed performance. At one point, all the three guitar players are playing the wrong chord - and it's no wonder Jagger gets a little reluctant or uncertain about what will come next smiling smiley

It had nothing to do with the fact that the Stones had three guitar players on stage - or Chuck smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 15:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 22, 2013 15:13

Doxa
Hmm.. on the second thought, I am not happy at all of that description "role in the band" (by elunse), For me it is more like a question of dynamics within the band: the whole band is like a field of force, driven by different tendencies; if you put some odd a force there - like Taylor now - it affects to everything. Before those numbers - starting with "Midnight Rambler" - I couldn't believe that adding one 'new' player there, could have so much affect to the whole sound and dynamics of the band.

My guess - based on on experience - that is Jagger who is not happy shaking the boat too much now. The whole "Vegas" boat, with its predictable features, is pretty much his brain-child. He wants to keep it safe and sure.

Maybe Richards as well during those strongest Vegas days, when he took his second frontman role, many times just freeriding the music, a bit too seriously. But that Richards the show man, the performer, is gone. I think his approach to music is different now. To me that has been the biggest musical surprise within the core band during this new tour. Keith "blames" Charlie for having more responsibilities to his and Ronnie's shoulders, and I love to think he is right (that Charlie is also a bit tired of the old concept). Keith is a shadow of his past as a player, but I really appreciate his dedication to the job now. It is the music that comes first, not the show (or even ego). It is the "old" Keith with teh philosophy of "I shine when the band shines". Jagger - by contrast - is the same as always (even though having fine-tuned his own act). But even the idea of going more to the core, guitar-based sound is in itself a move out of the safe and sure formula they've used for years. (And I have the picture that it was Jagger who wanted to get rid of that back in the 80's when the formula was created).

So you add to the already more strenghtened and powerful and responsible guitar section a powerhouse called Mick Taylor, then what happens? It's no Vegas no longer, baby! That Mick could "control" Keith and Ronnie, and keep them in a safe and sure track, wasn't any longer possible when the duo was strengthened with Taylor.

So my concern - if anything I speculate here has any point - is how Jagger reacts to the new "revolution" happening within the band, which might lead the group to a wild guitar-lead - music comes first - rock and roll band, to be odds with many show-aspects, choreographies, lights etc of the show. How far Jagger lets that go? Like said, I am happy if this three number comes a standard, and I don't need much more, but I have the feeling that there are people in the very band who would like to go it further.

It's now what I understand with Keith saying of him and Ronnie "needing Taylor". It's not that they can't fill their own post by their recent conditions, but that of having Taylor would make the band more to go according to their visions how to the band should sound like. They re-discovered the musicians in themselves.

- Doxa

A highly interesting read!

My impression, or rather my guess, would be that Mick Jagger, even if he likes to have some control, is not so much against some unpredictability as he is sceptical to what might become too long instrumental breaks within a song. That is, if it is to be each and any song. He will insist (I believe) that it should be what he will regard as interesting to warrant duration.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2013 15:16

DandelionPowderman
<"Complaining"? Again that very word to kill all the honest observation-making, judging and the point in discussing anything. Only cheerleading allowed when talking about the Rolling Stones performances, right? C'mon!>

You lost me there, Doxa confused smiley

Should I have said criticise instead?

Better. Maybe I over-reacted but I have had enough of the use of that word here in IORR. It is used way too loosely for all kinds of different things (mostly attacking differing opinions). To me one can complain about ticket prices, some people's behavior, etc, but when are talking about an artistic experience, there is no room for "complaining". Totally unsuitable term. People tend to see in "criticism" only the so called negative sides, but the term is neutral in covering everything: the good and the bad (and the uglygrinning smiley). I think there is no point in talking about music if one is not allowed to use the whole scale.

But like I said, I over-reacted - there was nothing "wrong" in your way of using the term.

- Doxa

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 22, 2013 15:29

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
<"Complaining"? Again that very word to kill all the honest observation-making, judging and the point in discussing anything. Only cheerleading allowed when talking about the Rolling Stones performances, right? C'mon!>

You lost me there, Doxa confused smiley

Should I have said criticise instead?

Better. Maybe I over-reacted but I have had enough of the use of that word here in IORR. It is used way too loosely for all kinds of different things (mostly attacking differing opinions). To me one can complain about ticket prices, some people's behavior, etc, but when are talking about an artistic experience, there is no room for "complaining". Totally unsuitable term. People tend to see in "criticism" only the so called negative sides, but the term is neutral in covering everything: the good and the bad (and the uglygrinning smiley). I think there is no point in talking about music if one is not allowed to use the whole scale.

But like I said, I over-reacted - there was nothing "wrong" in your way of using the term.

- Doxa

A few sites back I had the same discussion - writing "complaining" but meaning "criticism"! English is a difficult language, sometimes ... for us Germans at leastgrinning smiley!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2013 15:43

Witness

My impression, or rather my guess, would be that Mick Jagger, even if he likes to have some control, is not so much against some unpredictability as he is sceptical to what might become too long instrumental breaks within a song. That is, if it is to be each and any song. He will insist (I believe) that it should be what he will regard as interesting to warrant duration.

Yeah, you could be right. That it is the showmaster Jagger - keeping eye on the whole - keeping the band in order when the "boys" are getting too much into it. But as the ending of "Knocking" I think shows, he sometimes loses the power to control the band. It looks to my eyes that the whole guitar section ignores him trying to put it down earlier. With "Sway" he manages better. Jagger has nowadays a lot to do in keeping that section in order!

- Doxa

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 22, 2013 16:04

Taylor's guitar solo is like Charlie Parker. I think Jagger can't believe what he is hearing.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 22, 2013 16:35

Doxa
Witness

Yeah, you could be right. That it is the showmaster Jagger - keeping eye on the whole - keeping the band in order when the "boys" are getting too much into it. But as the ending of "Knocking" I think shows, he sometimes loses the power to control the band. It looks to my eyes that the whole guitar section ignores him trying to put it down earlier. With "Sway" he manages better. Jagger has nowadays a lot to do in keeping that section in order!

- Doxa

yep..and also Jagger is mindful of the casual fan who line his pockets.
the casual fan doesnt want to hear a long guitar solo by a "guest" on a rarely played and not a common song.
jagger thinks the audience wants warhorses..well..the vegas fans do..

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 16:45

terraplane
Taylor's guitar solo is like Charlie Parker. I think Jagger can't believe what he is hearing.

That would be great man, although I don't think Taylor would ever have been a member of the Stones then smiling smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:10

It is hard to read all the comments in the various threads, but if the audience response reflected the excitement on this board, then this tour has changed and gotten very interesting. The cat (Taylor) is out of the bag. There is no putting him back. What will they do with him the rest of the tour?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:27

If Jagger didn't want Mick Taylor to play all the songs he played on the other night, he wouldn't have had the band rehearse them.

Obviously, he was aware they would work up to the 4+ songs.
(who wasn't after they all got rehearsed>,, besides the Taylor fans here?)

Those that now ant to take credit like you all had anything to do
with it are being absurd at best and delusional at worst.

Bullying the Rolling Stones into using MT more. Laughable.
And then bullying the board like you all accomplished something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 17:35 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:27

Mick Taylor wish list beyond the tracks played in LA:

Moonlight Mile

Sympathy for the Devil

Winter

Silver Train

Hide Your Love

Time Waits for No One

... but my favorite szenario would be: Let MT play the entire set rejoining the band and let him play on the next album. Besides the brilliant solo spots he adds substantial to the guitar sound in the sense of a higher level of weaving. Although the sound of the Sway recordings aren't perfect you can hear that Mick Taylor contributes some fine licks and arpeggios all over the song. Mick Taylor manages to create a creative musical atmosphere; he is the genuine centre of the band. I would be very pleased to see and hear the Stones as three guitar band at the end of their career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 17:29 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:33

Not only was Taylor leading the band, but the way they all gathered around him during the outre, when he turned away from the audience, was quite remarakable. From the videos, I didn't get the feeling that Mick was worried about losing control or being out of his comfort zone; I thought he was having the time of his life on stage. He looked completely into it and seemed as awed as the audience was by the groove everyone had gotten into. And the interaction with Richards was great to see (and seemed quite genuine, although it seemed to take Keith by surprise). Taylor definitely adds a spark to whatever he plays on and - for whatever reason - seems to be bringing the best out of everyone else. I was fine with Mick's singing on both songs. Give him a couple more tries and I bet he'll be nailing both of them. It's great to see the entire band recapturing what made them so special as a live act. I hope they keep it up in the shows to follow and don't go back to where they were before - perfectly good but not nearly as inspired as they were in LA.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:54

gimmelittledrink
Not only was Taylor leading the band, but the way they all gathered around him during the outre, when he turned away from the audience, was quite remarakable. From the videos, I didn't get the feeling that Mick was worried about losing control or being out of his comfort zone; I thought he was having the time of his life on stage. He looked completely into it and seemed as awed as the audience was by the groove everyone had gotten into. And the interaction with Richards was great to see (and seemed quite genuine, although it seemed to take Keith by surprise). Taylor definitely adds a spark to whatever he plays on and - for whatever reason - seems to be bringing the best out of everyone else. I was fine with Mick's singing on both songs. Give him a couple more tries and I bet he'll be nailing both of them. It's great to see the entire band recapturing what made them so special as a live act. I hope they keep it up in the shows to follow and don't go back to where they were before - perfectly good but not nearly as inspired as they were in LA.

It was electric. The Stones on the high wire again - but for the right reasons (musical rather than innebriation). Mick Jagger actually challenged. The whole CYHMK experience brings chills. The excitement of the audience builds, Charlie kicks it up a notch, the wide grins on the faces of Keith and Ronnie. Taylor venturing past the "safe" zone and going up to jam with Bobby Keys. All this can be perceived in a crappy phone video. I only hope they thought to film this professionally. The greatest Stones moment onstage since El Mocambo in '77, in my opinion, and maybe even earlier.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:00

rtr
....but not a member of the band for almost 40 years. I much prefer the band live with the focus on Keith and Ronnie where it belongs, not on a guest "soloist". I'm flying to Chicago to catch the Stones for about the 30th time and really hope I don't have to sit through 4 songs with M.T. in the spotlight.

Hey - RTR - do us all a favor and don't go see the show, Taylor's playing more and more because Jagger/Richards/Watts & Wood like his playing that much!!!
You don't so stay home and watch DVD's of previous years..

MLC

Date: May 22, 2013 18:05

MCDDTLC
rtr
....but not a member of the band for almost 40 years. I much prefer the band live with the focus on Keith and Ronnie where it belongs, not on a guest "soloist". I'm flying to Chicago to catch the Stones for about the 30th time and really hope I don't have to sit through 4 songs with M.T. in the spotlight.

Hey - RTR - do us all a favor and don't go see the show, Taylor's playing more and more because Jagger/Richards/Watts & Wood like his playing that much!!!

MLC

FYI: This rtr person registered yesterday specifically so he could dump on the Mick Taylor excitement. Quite possibly another individual we all know and love posting under a different name.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:08

71Tele
MCDDTLC
rtr

MLC

FYI: This rtr person registered yesterday specifically so he could dump on the Mick Taylor excitement. Quite possibly another individual we all know and love posting under a different name.

it's not very befuddling, though...you gotta admire that...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 01:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:12

Ronnie's playing is fantastic on this tour, but if you don't see the difference when Taylor is on stage, then you just don't get it. They are a completely different band with Taylor. And for us old-timers, it's quite amazing to see them recapture some of the magic that made them so great in the first place. It's something I never thought I'd see again.

Date: May 22, 2013 18:20

gimmelittledrink
Ronnie's playing is fantastic on this tour, but if you don't see the difference when Taylor is on stage, then you just don't get it. They are a completely different band with Taylor. And for us old-timers, it's quite amazing to see them recapture some of the magic that made them so great in the first place. It's something I never thought I'd see again.

It certainly is, GLD. It's interesting how a few people evidently used to only the "Vegas-era" version of the band are somewhat befuddled by this turn of events. It's as if they have been knocked of their equilibrium by anything other than usual the safe presentation of hits along with morsels of special guests and the odd rarity. Yes, a little bit of uncertainty is injected when Taylor is onstage. But you can't have true excitement without some uncertainty.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:23

As the smugness level of some here jumps up several notches. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 18:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:26

71Tele
gripweed
Rokyfan
duffydawg
rtr
M.T. over plays and is overrated. Keith and Ronnie should not be backing this guy up. What a slap in their faces.

You are an idiot. Tell me a better "back and forth" than KR and MT in Sympathy for the Devil on GYYA???

So you saw them in 1969, huh? So you are like 65+ years old on a message board ranking on MT? I think you be crappin, my son.

Music is a matter of opinion. I agree with you that MT's contribution to the Stones' catalog is immeasurable. The guy to whom you are responding is not necessarily an idiot. People have the right not to like music that I love. But you are correct in that it is inexplicable for one to call themselves a fan of the Rolling Stones and hold that opinion of mick Taylor. . to not recognize the contributions you pointed out, and many others.

this "rtr' fellow is just a TROLL... he signed up "today"... probably been BANNED many times already... ignore him and he will go away

I know. I have a pretty good idea who it is too.

probably banned already now ,

please kind sir , tell us more !

this "rtr' fellow is just a TROLL... plenty other threads to dump on , move on rtr

Date: May 22, 2013 19:12

71Tele
gimmelittledrink

It was electric. The Stones on the high wire again - but for the right reasons (musical rather than innebriation). Mick Jagger actually challenged. The whole CYHMK experience brings chills. The excitement of the audience builds, Charlie kicks it up a notch, the wide grins on the faces of Keith and Ronnie. Taylor venturing past the "safe" zone and going up to jam with Bobby Keys. All this can be perceived in a crappy phone video. I only hope they thought to film this professionally. The greatest Stones moment onstage since El Mocambo in '77, in my opinion, and maybe even earlier.

thumbs up

Date: May 22, 2013 19:24

At the risk of sounding greedy...I think WH, DF and NoEx could be quickly worked up. I'd like to hear Woody on pedal steel worked in there somewhere. That makes me think of T&F. Now THAT one would be my indulgence pick.

Date: May 22, 2013 19:32

T & F was hit and miss in 2002 (Chicago was good, though). Taylor played bass on the studio recording.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:49

DandelionPowderman
T & F was hit and miss in 2002 (Chicago was good, though). Taylor played bass on the studio recording.

But he has played it on stage one time. Only one time, but it sounds terrific. It would be wonderful to hear it again, especially as the lyrics are so adequate this time. cool smiley

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:52

Wow.... As a lifetime Stones fan I started following their activities on this site during the '94 tour. I'm always interested in changes in the song line-up, reviews and comments. I've downloaded live audio and video for years, and spent buckets on bootlegs before that. I've seen the band either 25, or 30 times (I lost count) and flew to Vancouver to catch them at the end of 2006, because I thought it might be "the last time", after seeing a video of a disturbingly erratic performance by Keith earlier in the fall (Giant's Stadium maybe). I watched the comments on this site regarding Keith's playing during the first London show with the same hopes of everyone else that he was "back", or at least "O.K.". I never joined into a discussion on this site until yesterday when I apparently showed how idiotic my opinions are because I do not idolize Mick Taylor, and was not thrilled to see that he now is being featured more than the time allotted to Keith and Ronnie combined. It's just a matter of taste. It's not a "Vegas mentality", my favorite live tunes are All Down the Line, Live With Me, Bitch, Whip Comes Down, JJF and I was thrilled to see the video of Around and Around, which was one of my first recorded favorites. My most memorable Stones concert was being in the 15th row at the '78 Ft. Worth show (on video in it's entirety finally). I still have the ticket for the show, billed as The London Green Shoed Cowboys! That show blew me away and solidified a love of hearing Keith and Ronnie play together. It's not a matter of who has more chops, I just enjoy Ronnie's playing in the context of the group's sound, and especially in response to, and in support of Keith's playing live (put on some headphones)! I understand and appreciate why people like M.T., but he always sounded like a hired "soloist" to me (and still does after the novelty wears off). Just my opinion and preference, which I didn't expect to defend to rude and angry mutual fans of the band(?) It ain't no capitol crime! I am thrilled to be able to see my lifelong favorite band live one more time in Chicago, even though I'm currently unemployed. I have my priorities and the top one is seeing the Stones again, unbelievably in 2013!! Wow, what a band!

Date: May 22, 2013 20:00

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

But he has played it on stage one time. Only one time, but it sounds terrific. It would be wonderful to hear it again, especially as the lyrics are so adequate this time. cool smiley

Taylor's lead in '72 was terrific. And Woody can have the pedal steel part. I'm liking this idea. The band could play a country-ish set with WH and DF. Wear your hats boys.

Date: May 22, 2013 20:03

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Indeed he did, but it didn't sound nowhere near the brilliant album version. In fairness it wasn't primarily MT that made it a train wreck in Vancouver.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 22, 2013 20:16

Love in Vain with Taylor and with a crazy Keith...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home