Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why Keith Richards does not own an Ipod
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:44

He's rock royalty and likes to keep it old-school: Keith Richards says he doesn't own an iPod.

The Rolling Stones guitarist says he isn't a fan of the ultra-popular music device.

"I don't have an iPod. ... I still use CDs or records actually. Sometimes cassettes. It has much better sound; a much better sound than digital," he said in a recent interview.

The 69-year-old believes music lovers are "all being shortchanged" with the sound that comes out of an iPod, launched in 2001.

"My old lady's got one. My kids have got them. I say, 'Look me up this.' Or, 'Oh I like that. Check me that,'" he said. "I know what these things can do. I'm not totally anti-them."

The Rolling Stones' "50 & Counting Tour" kicks off Friday in Los Angeles. The Stones released their self-titled debut in 1964, and while Richards has accepted that the music industry is digitally driven today, he's not completely OK with it.

"They're sucked into it and they can't get out of it, nor can we; so is the public," he said. "There's something missing there, but it's the price of the future I guess."

Re: Why Keith Richards does not own an Ipod
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:47

Once again that damnable apple rears its ugly head...I sorta agree with Keith, but I can't always hear the difference anymore

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:49

"I don't have an iPod. ... I still use CDs or records actually. Sometimes cassettes. It has much better sound; a much better sound than digital," he said in a recent interview.

I dont have, or use, one either.

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:50

reg thorpe
He's rock royalty and likes to keep it old-school: Keith Richards says he doesn't own an iPod.

The Rolling Stones guitarist says he isn't a fan of the ultra-popular music device.

The 69-year-old believes music lovers are "all being shortchanged" with the sound that comes out of an iPod, launched in 2001.

"My old lady's got one. My kids have got them. I say, 'Look me up this.' Or, 'Oh I like that. Check me that,'" he said. "I know what these things can do. I'm not totally anti-them."

The Rolling Stones' "50 & Counting Tour" kicks off Friday in Los Angeles. The Stones released their self-titled debut in 1964, and while Richards has accepted that the music industry is digitally driven today, he's not completely OK with it.

"They're sucked into it and they can't get out of it, nor can we; so is the public," he said. "There's something missing there, but it's the price of the future I guess."

As usual more BS from Keith,playing the outlaw,devil may care attitude,he is also not interested in money,blah,blah.....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:51

if he had one he'd just lose it, leave it in a dressing room, or get whiskey on it..

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:55

duke richardson
if he had one he'd just lose it, leave it in a dressing room, or get whiskey on it..
He could do lines on it,oh, l forgot he doesn't do that anymore....>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()

Paul McCartney says he doesn't use an iPod because wearing the headphones "make me feel like I'm at work."

duke richardson

LOL, that could be exactly right... who knows, he may have owned one, or 5, already, but they skipped that part of the story. winking smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()

What a riveting piece of journalism...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:58

So does he use a fax or not? Who can I believe anymore...

Date: May 1, 2013 16:59

Munichhilton
So does he use a fax or not? Who can I believe anymore...

Just the fax

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 1, 2013 17:00

Mick Jagger uses a Zune. What a loser!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 1, 2013 17:22

Digital computing defines our lives in great ways, but digital music sucks, and Keith is not the first to observe it. I can't listen to some distorted rock music, whose analog distortion on vinyl and cassette is pleasing to my ears, where the digital sound is harsh, shrill, and irritating.

Apparently, most do not remember, or are not perceiving (consciously anyway) the problem of digital artifacts as opposed to a smooth analog sine wave:
[music.columbia.edu]

However, people who do/can listen at that level notice the difference. I'll spare the embedded videos, etc., but check out Neil Young and Bob Weir's (among others) thoughts about digital music and the subconscious aversion to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 17:28 by paulm.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 1, 2013 17:27

I think that the ipod or similar device - in the high capacity versions - is the greatest invention in the sound systems market since the Sony walkman.

Sure, when I am at home and I have the time to play some music, nothing beats my old fashioned sound system with double amplification, great speakers etc.. But in the past 10 years or so this has become more and more a rare event. How many times did I crank it up and enjoyed music "as it should be enjoyed" in 2013? Twice? Maybe 3 times?

To be able to have most of my music collection in such a small device is simply amazing.

Of course I have to live with mp3s, but what the F... first, to be honest, an ipod paired with some quality headphones is not THAT bad (way better than what comes out from the average radio), second, and mainly, the overall advantages are just incredible.

C

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: May 1, 2013 17:49

Old school is very cool!

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:02

I still am positive that Keith still does not have a cell phone either. I, like him and Charlie and Johnny Depp and the amish people are probably the only people on earth without one.

I have no use for one, It is a distraction from life and I think Keith never liked the phone anyway.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:16

Another subtle jab at Jagger (who probably got one of the 1st Ipods back in the day)?
Jagger, who couldn't survive without his laptop, mobile phone, etc etc.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:30

KeefRichards88
I still am positive that Keith still does not have a cell phone either. I, like him and Charlie and Johnny Depp and the amish people are probably the only people on earth without one.

I have no use for one, It is a distraction from life and I think Keith never liked the phone anyway.

The cell phone is the greatest invention in the field of communication since Meucci invented the phone itself!

I've read of people claiming of being capable of long distance telepathic communication. That would be truly great, but until I learn the trick, cell phones are the second best option.

C

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:45

I'm not surprised to read that Keith is yet to own one - that's a generational thing, I think - but it is pleasing to read that he sees merit in the device.

Me, I would be totally lost without my iPod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 18:48 by Big Al.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 2, 2013 01:10

dcba
liddas

The cell phone is the greatest invention in the field of communication since Meucci invented the phone itself!

They're useful for 2-3% of the population but it enables the 97 others to indulge in insane babbling, usually when ppl around want to be quiet.

The GOOD thing is cell phones waves are prone to give brain cancer and Alzheimer so 30 years from now those who don't have a cell phone will laugh at the brain-damaged sheeple! >grinning smiley<
Keith you're 100% right!

I can appreciate the sentiment as I too can't stand to be near people babbling on their cellphone (especially when I'm on a bus).

Still, I read ebooks using my phone, view photos, read email, etc. (it does have some uses).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 01:12 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 2, 2013 01:57

TMONTANA
As usual more BS from Keith,playing the outlaw,devil may care attitude,he is also not interested in money,blah,blah.....

Really ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 2, 2013 01:58

dcba
Another subtle jab at Jagger

Really ?

-------------------

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:07

GumbootCloggeroo
What a riveting piece of journalism...

+1, and slapping myself on the side of the head for reading it. Sounds like a rerun of the 1994 brouhaha when Keith threw a tantrum about the cell phone given to him by tour sponsor Sprint. See this MTV News link.

[www.mtv.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 02:12 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:08

Max'sKansasCity

I dont have, or use, one either.

nor I.

I have an MP3 player I sometimes use for going for a run, and I have ripped my CD collection into ITUNES. I mostly listen to vinyl now though!

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:03

The Zune is a much better player than the ipod because you can actually add music to it one song at a time without having to load an entire ipod which takes forever. The ipod also screws up all of the file names. Zune is more user friendly. Though I think it was discontinued. Its better than the ipod though. By a wide margin.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:12

What does he know? He's an old fart.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:24

Title5Take1
Paul McCartney says he doesn't use an iPod because wearing the headphones "make me feel like I'm at work."

That at least makes some sense!

As for Keith, he doesn't own a phone either right? And probably doesn't carry cash? Guess he doesn't need to since he's always got some form of "entourage" around him...

Having said that there was an uber cool looking device (tape player, radio ?) on one of the tables next to the sofas where they were rehearsing in Bondy, a thing looking like a car of the 50s, chrome and all...the iPod of the day!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 2, 2013 11:54

If Keith doesn't have an IPOD, and is still into CDs, then why the Hell doesn't he motion that the Stonesarchive gigs be on CD, as opposed to download ?

I hate the CDRs that I have of them, as I'd love to read the liner notes, and the sessionographies etc.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 2, 2013 12:02

tomcasagranda
If Keith doesn't have an IPOD, and is still into CDs, then why the Hell doesn't he motion that the Stonesarchive gigs be on CD, as opposed to download ?

I hate the CDRs that I have of them, as I'd love to read the liner notes, and the sessionographies etc.

i doubt he knows the stonesarchives exists... i believe they have a business office deciding what to monetize in whatever way they can (digital downloads, limited edition coffee cups, autographed sets of china, etc) and then they pull mick and keith in to do interviews to promote whatever is the new product of the month.

Date: May 2, 2013 12:06

DeanGoodman
See this MTV News link.

[www.mtv.com]

Very funny. Thanks

-------------------

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home