Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: what makes a bad rolling stones concert
Posted by: drake ()
Date: January 24, 2006 05:39

i'm so sick of this ronnie hating. its total bullshit. the only reason everyone thinks he's not playing well is because the f'ing engineers put him at HALF the volume of keef. you cant hear what he's playing most of the time. if he and keith were mixed in a balanced manner you'd all be kissing ronnie's ass for chugging away on every song.

a bad stones concert is when the sound is horrible, the crowd is horrible, you have no view, or when the band is just run down and doesnt have the energy to rock your face off.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 24, 2006 05:49

Midnight Toker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Critics and fans who think it is mandatory to
> stand for the entire show. Some people stand on
> their feet all friggin' day due to their
> occupations.
>

I agree with you Toker! But I also have to agree with Sam Spade who mentioned some missing lyrics from some songs, the Ron Wood bashing and people who won't give the opening act a chance. There have been some good ones in the past IMO. When I saw the boys in Toronto, Beck opened and at first I didn't give him a chance. However, I sat and watched him perform and he wasn't as bad as I first thought he was.

Posted by: monkeygripglue ()
Date: January 24, 2006 06:24

1. lame setlist
2. chuck levell instead of ian maclagen..the guy from sea level filling in for ian stewart ???? geez. Maybe that idiot from Primus should step in for Bill Wyman.

3. huge stageset to make up for lacklustre performances
4. guitars with hardly any distortion whatsoever
5. backup singers that would just as soon sing for mariah carey as long as there was free food..

6. anything played from 'steel wheels' or any clothes or haircuts associated with that period.

7. headset microphones a'la garth brooks
8. ticket prices and nosebleed seating
9. missed verses, choruses and forgotten words...if i can save lunch money as a kid to buy the records they made..(good and bad) the least they can do is play the damn song without screwing it up..

10. ronnie 'gee thanks keith for giving me a credit for inspiration on hey negrita' wood

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2006 07:44

stonesfan70 Wrote:
> Lame ass fans who can't make up their minds
> whether to sit or stand.

1. Lame ass 'fans' who CAN make up their minds and decide to sit!

2. Too many 'corporates' and not enough 'fans'

3. Phoned-in setlists, usually which are a cause of # 2 above

4. Musicians too intoxicated to focus on performing properly. At these prices, its not much to ask that everyone should be able to play the songs properly instead of mugging or hitting bum notes

5. Bad sound mix

6. People who chat incessantly during the songs. Are these fĂșckers not allowed to talk in the house?

7. The unending queue for the bogs in front of the place in the crowd where I'm trying to watch the show

8. The 40-70% of the audience who join said queue (or at best, sit down) during Keith's set

9. At general admission shows, guys who try to impress their date by hoisting her on their shoulders. If I wanted to see a big unsightly, saggy mis-shapen arse in front of me, I'd watch a Ron Jeremy movie...at least these people are good target practice for plastic bottles.

10. Shit seats for a lot of money. Unfortunately these days thats more common than before, with inflated prices even though most people in vast stadiums/arenas can only see the action on video screens

Fortunately the good tends to outweigh the bad by some distance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-24 07:47 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2006 07:49

drake Wrote:
> i'm so sick of this ronnie hating. its total
> bullshit. the only reason everyone thinks he's
> not playing well is because the f'ing engineers
> put him at HALF the volume of keef. you cant hear
> what he's playing most of the time. if he and
> keith were mixed in a balanced manner you'd all be
> kissing ronnie's ass for chugging away on every
> song.
>
> a bad stones concert is when the sound is
> horrible, the crowd is horrible, you have no view,
> or when the band is just run down and doesnt have
> the energy to rock your face off.

Ive always got the impression that the reason keith was so much higher in the mix was because of his own insistence on it

For what its worth, I thought Ronnie played pretty well at the 2 MSG shows last week

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: January 24, 2006 08:11

I wasn't around then, but people being stabbed by Hell's Angels in front of the stage would seem to be a real downer to me...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 24, 2006 09:17

Tall dudes with afros....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 24, 2006 09:29

Rain. Rain. Rain.

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: January 24, 2006 10:58

Standing near a farter.

Oily.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 24, 2006 11:03

some lunatic, standing to the side of me, at Wembley Arena '03, shouting loudly
for "Sympathy For The Devil", before every bloody song.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 24, 2006 11:46

'9. At general admission shows, guys who try to impress their date by hoisting her on their shoulders. If I wanted to see a big unsightly, saggy mis-shapen arse in front of me, I'd watch a Ron Jeremy movie...at least these people are good target practice for plastic bottles. ' by Gazza.

Post of the day! LOL!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 24, 2006 12:09

There is nothing like a bad set list. It is like saying the shoes or shirt does not fit. They do fit, but they don't fit you. A bad show is made by the crowd usually. The crowd is simply not reacting. They sit on their chairs and they are "blank faces" as Mick use to call it.

I have been to a few shows of that kind and it is strange to see how Mick at some pint halfway in the show kind of loose interest and simply give up on getting any crowd reaction. At that point it is too late to rescue the show. So they just have to play the final big hits who work ok but nothing more. But in general, most shows are very, very good.

By the way I never worry about technical issues. That is not interesting at all. If it is a fire behind stage or somebody next to me is fighting or security bother me or Keith is starting Brown Sugar wrong or Mick is messing up the words that is absolutely no problem. I block it out with a smile and enjoy all other parts of the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 24, 2006 12:14

Should be "What makes a bad thread' on this site!

Unbelievable the amount of moaning that goes on. Read the review section 99.9% praise on the Stones shows.

The last 18mths have been one of the most interesting/exciting Stones years in a while but still a section bleat and rattle on about tedious subjects.

Re: what can impede the joy at a Stones concert
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 24, 2006 12:17

>> A little prune juice might cure what ails them! <<

popcorn is good too. :E
but anyway! i don't know about any "bad Stones concerts", but some things interfere some with the joy:

1) people in the audience acting aggressive: hurting people, stealing things, chatting during numbers, trying to make other people sit down, emitting high-pitched shrieks throughout the show as if they think that will impress anyone, and/or singing so loud that it's hard to hear the band.

2) FOS men who imagine the Stones would rather look at them than at the FOS women.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-24 13:28 by with sssoul.

Date: January 24, 2006 12:17

The Stones spoiled a lot of fans with the LICKS tour. Now everybody think they can get 3 shows in a city with S M L and 40 different songs. They don't understand that was the first and also the last time for that concept.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 24, 2006 12:20

bv Wrote:

> If it is a fire behind stage or somebody next to me is fighting (.....)
> that is absolutely no problem. I block it out with a smile and enjoy
> all other parts of the show.
>
> Bjornulf

Really? I hope the fire (& the fight) doens't spread

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 24, 2006 12:25

> People who hate Ron Wood.

Yes sure, but I think you mix some things up here. I can't speak for
all but for me: I don't hate Ronnie, I love him as a human. But I'm
also able to judge about his playing as my ears are still working OK and I have expectations on a guitarist in "Greatest Rock'n Roll Band" other than clowning.

And the playing is just more than aweful for some year now. I even don't know what happend to him but I really worry about him.

Date: January 24, 2006 12:32

It was a real fire behind the stage in Phoenix 1997. See review:
[iorr.org]
The guys next to me said "awesome fireworks" but I said this is a real fire it's not part of the show. The fire brigade worked on it while Mick kept singing and as we left the show, we could see the fire fighters still behind the stage making sure it did not break out once more. Some might say such an event makes a scary and bad show but for me it's just one more memory and I look at it from the bright side. Any other band in the world would have cancelled and called it the day. The Stones just continued throughout the show with great respect for their crowd and their show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: January 24, 2006 13:05

What makes a bad show? Too many in the audience that are whiners or wannabee music critics that analyze every note looking for something to bitch about rather than enjoying the experience. At least half the people on this board simply don't get it.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 24, 2006 13:10

At last.... a voice of sense! Totally agree!!

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 24, 2006 13:56

I guess Ernest hasn't been to a Stones concert is over 17 years!

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: January 24, 2006 14:01

I'd say reading a bunch of lame ass crap from people like you the next day. How many of you have actually been to a Stones show?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 24, 2006 14:21

Always The Rolling Stones had a arpeggio technique (broken chords distributed to the both guitarists, particularly since Ronnie is member of the band). Every mistake is audible so, therefore, if the band it isn't in shape, soon you have the impression of a sloppy, bad sounding ensemble.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 24, 2006 14:54

I have seen them close to 100 times and I can't answer that one

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 24, 2006 15:15

People who sit down and just looking with blank faces, and thats the reason i am going to paris so at least i can stand up with no problems.

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:06

....standing near a serial farter.

Oily.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:08

people who talk all the way through gigs, is always bad for the stress levels- and it seems to happen more and more, in my experience.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:09

I only recall 2 bad shows out of my 39, but I only have one person to blame; me. Way too much to drink, and damn those people who shoved the funny cigs in my face!

I will say there were 2 couples next to me in Boston, and I told one of the women that their husbands looked like they'd rather be home watching tv reruns. Some excuse about having worked that day. If the Stones can't revive you, I don't know what can, short of good sex!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:13

I've only seen the Stones 18 times, so......the show is bad when it is over. God, I hate the moment when the concert is over. 2 hours of sheer joy!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:38

Gothenburg 1998 stunk, I think the band was really bad that night. Ooops sorry.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home