Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Between The Buttons
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 24, 2006 03:26

Just got through listening to this one. What a great superb f*cking album! This was my first Stones album and is always special. IMO this one sits right in the middle of eras and changes. It is like their "t'aint" album. Not early bluesy stuff, not psychedelic yet, not hard rock etc. There are so many incredible production touches; I don't even know where to start. The writing is very good. Don't see why some people disregard it. (ie Jagger) It also shows Brian in most favorable light. Jagger writes good lyrics and sings well, Keith really does one of his frist guitar albums. Charlie has one of his first real spotlight albums. Bill was still very active; you can tell it is all of them in the studio. A band effort. Man I Love this album. "Back Street Girl" is so beautiful; there is that weird little percussion in the right channel in the chorus that sounds like a horse sleigh. Keith's guitar in "All Sold Out" is on fire!
Theremin in "Plese Go Home" with incredible guitARS.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: Between The Buttons
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 24, 2006 03:31

I have tried to like this album for years, but have found it difficult.

Posted by: Roger457 ()
Date: January 24, 2006 03:37

Amen Chelseadrugstore!!!! Fantastic album!!! Back Street Girl is one of the true treasures of the Stones catalog! I love the whole album!

Roger

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 24, 2006 03:40

i love this album as well....but i am really into FLOWERS..i always called it buttons sister album.....anyway along with aftermath, they make the 3 best albums with brian jones...i like it even more with kleins scad's..help's get out the true sound of these's masters!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 24, 2006 04:43

Flowers isn't quite a real album.

Between the Buttons has a lot of strong songs and pretty good production but also its fair share of filler, more than any album up to that point. A number of the songs seem to repeat themselves... From "My Obsession," "Complicated," and "Cool, Calm, Collected," I think only 1 should have made the album, b/c they're so similar. There are nice instrumental touches but some of the tracks sound as if they're being played in a gymnasium.

Also, the album seems to me to be the beginning of the end for brian. I don't think he plays on "Miss Amanda Jones," "All Sold Out," or maybe even "Connection."

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 24, 2006 04:46

DOesn't Brian look bombed on the cover?

Date: January 24, 2006 05:14

I believe they went straight to the photo session from one of brian's drug trials.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 24, 2006 05:26

This is indeed a great album IMO. Lots of good songs with the highlights being My Obsession and Something Happened To Me Yesterday. Musically, it's pretty consistent. I also agree with hot stuff that Flowers seems like BTB's cousin. If I'm not mistaken, some of the songs on Flowers were part of the same sessions as Buttons. Am I correct on this? Where's my Martin Elliott book when I need it?! lol

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 24, 2006 05:30

I belive Flowers had some previously released tunes on it.

Something Happened To Me Yesterday has always been one of my favs. I think I have BTB album in Mono.

Posted by: charles wattage ()
Date: January 24, 2006 05:32

I agree Chelsea,one of my favorites,too bad Mick hates it,which means we won't see much from it live,except the couple they already play.

Date: January 24, 2006 13:10

I love Backstreet Girl, All Sold Out , Connection and maybe Yesterday's Papers, but to me the rest of the record sounds unfinished or a bit sloppy. Miss Amanda Jones, for instance, could have been a real gem. Instead, it turnes out to be a mid quality rocker.

I think Buttons suffered from being in the middle of the transition from pop and 60s blues-stones to the rawer, darker stones that appeared (already) on some of the TSMR-record, and later on JJF and Beggars.

BTW, Something Happened To Me Yesterday is also a must-have smiling smiley

Re: Between the Buttons
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 24, 2006 13:13

>> I believe they went straight to the photo session from one of brian's drug trials. <<

according to ALO and Gered Mankowitz, they went to that shoot straight from the studio, at about 5 AM.
(Buttons came out about two weeks before the Redlands bust, and wasn't Brian's first drug bust during the Twins' Redlands trial?)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 24, 2006 14:55

Brian tried to ruin the whole photo-session by hiding his face, I've read. Another example how hard it was to deal with Brian.
Between The Buttons is the only album Jagger doesn't like. But I've heard saying that Their Satanic.. was quite fun.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 24, 2006 15:21

One of my favorite lines about Buttons is this:

It's the Charlie Watts Solo Album.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 24, 2006 15:34

Is it a heresy to say that I always prefered Between the Buttons (UK version) over Aftermath? I know that the critics regard Aftermath as a classic but I always had some problems with that album while I liked Button's mood.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:27

UNDERRATED...

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:37

the Dylan influence is in there, but i wonder if they were also influenced by the Kinks "Face to Face" period on "Between the Buttons"?.........either way, i think "Between The Buttons" is great

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:43

Between The Button was said to having been the inspiration for the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" album

Date: January 24, 2006 17:51

By whom was it said?

Re: Between the Buttons
Date: January 24, 2006 17:59

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> according to ALO and Gered Mankowitz, they went to
> that shoot straight from the studio, at about 5
> AM.
> (Buttons came out about two weeks before the
> Redlands bust, and wasn't Brian's first drug bust
> during the Twins' Redlands trial?)
>

Er, right... I remembered they were coming "straight from" something. I guess the trial wouldn't have been held at dawn! Though not a bad idea, for limiting publicity...

My favorite stones photo session, btw. I like the shots on More Hot Rocks even better than the BTB cover.

Dunno about the Redlands chronology.

Didn't ALO say that there's a sound in "Let's Spend the Night Together" of cops knocking on the door? Seems dubious to me, but what were they there to bust?

Date: January 24, 2006 18:00

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> I think Buttons suffered from being in the middle
> of the transition from pop and 60s blues-stones to
> the rawer, darker stones that appeared (already)
> on some of the TSMR-record, and later on JJF and
> Beggars.

BTB comes _before_ TSMR, DPman. So you're even more right about the transition, I think.

I like the guitars on "Miss Amanda Jones," but there's a Monkees quality to the song.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 24, 2006 18:02

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Brian tried to ruin the whole photo-session by
> hiding his face, I've read. Another example how
> hard it was to deal with Brian.
> Between The Buttons is the only album Jagger
> doesn't like. But I've heard saying that Their
> Satanic.. was quite fun.

Brian makes that album sleeve. He looks cool. Poor Mick. Mick also blaimed Satanic on Brian when he rewrites history. Even Marianne syays Mick was so ashamed he had to blame Brian.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 24, 2006 18:12

Yes, on that exact photo, he's all right. But there are lots of pictures from this session where you can only see his nose.

Date: January 24, 2006 18:15

Ashamed of what, LA F?

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 24, 2006 18:17

Yeha but what a nose. He's cool, really cool on all the photos. It's a band and one cool dude. Mick was ashamed of the Satanic album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home