Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones - Echoplex, Los Angeles April 27 (photos, reviews + videos)
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:37

I've got it.

The Stones don't swing... they throb.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:48

Witness
Doxa
I like it better than the hundreds autopilot versions they run through the Vegas Era....................................

- Doxa

Now I want to ask: Shall we take this, Doxa, that you consider the Stones to have moved past a Vegas Era and entered a post-Vegas Era, all according to your terminology?

I get you Doxa, I also like the slow versions, sort of post Vegas but not really. Maybe Cool-Vegas? But it's still Vegas sorry to say.

Shes so cold, Little T%A, She was hot are slower versions which are sort of better right now. Sort of.

A horrible disgustingly bad modern version of Get off of my cloud is, sadly, also an example of the slow numbers. That song was a gem in 1975/1976 and now it's worse than anything theyve done. Fine line there.

I dont hear anything special from whats been posted but yes, Keith finally dropped the stupid ape act. Finally. I repeat Keith was splendid just splendid when he covered Little red Rooster. Perfect version. No bandana, just a guitar and a relaxed old voice, not the crooner, nor the forced rock voice. Just relaxed, with a guitar.

Date: April 30, 2013 17:43

I love it! What's not to like?

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:50

DandelionPowderman
I love it! What's not to like?

Yea, this was one of the hightlights of the 2012 shows I think, much better than the horrible 2006 version.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 18:54

Doxa

Ha! As a child of punk generation, it doesn't ask me much to dance to Brussels "Brown Sugar"... Can you even listen to BRUSSELS AFFAIR without your whole body starting to move and shake according to the groove of the music? That it is fast, it doesn't make any less "swing" or "groove"....

To describe the band in its hottest nights in 1972/73 we need higher physics.. The energy used there will go according to the following formula:

E=swing2

It's all about swing, man!

tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

grinning smiley

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 19:38

Doxa
muenke
VT22
eye rolling smiley
I think slowing down the rhythm is a good move for this "matured" band. The song sounds "sexier" than it has for ages.

- Doxa

Absolutely true! I´m a big fan of those 72/73 shows but don´t like the very fast JJF and SFM, for example on Brussels ... Cool them down, get into the groove, no need for coke-uped songs ...[/quote]

I love those speed "coke-uped" road versions of the 70's - they really made the songs fly - but the band simply doesn't have the needed energy and vitality any longer to do something like that. That was young man's high octane music, but this slowed down attitude suits better to their recent condition. I like it better than the hundreds autopilot versions they run through the Vegas Era. I guess it did good for them to rest some five years or so and rethink their music, and their attitude towards their war horses material. Especially it seemingly did good for Keith to "re-learn" to play again, and re-discover where he is good at and where is not. He left the caricature pirate character to Depp and Disney, and offered us Keith the musician. Of course as a player he is a shadow of his past glory, but there is that purity, honesty and no bullshitting attitude which works damn fine to this fan. Even his fingers do not work as they used to do, his mind does, and with his natural talent and intuition, that does get us quite far... [/quote]
- Doxa

If this musical analysis on Keith's recent playing -on which I agree, still gives him the tools to play Stones music on a level that you and countless fans appreciate, who am I to contradict your statement..

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:03

Illustrator Franki Chan tells the story behind the show and that poster.

SO WE DID A SHOW WITH THE ROLLING STONES…

Who could have ever imagined something like this would have happened?

This past Saturday night in Los Angeles we had the privilege of being a part of a super secret show with THE ROLLING STONES at our typical CYP2 stomping grounds, The Echoplex. The whole experience was so surreal, it’s hard to even know where to start to explain how it happened and what it was like to actually be there. It doesn’t feel like reality, but it was… somehow. Almost 2 weeks ago I got a text from Danny Johnson, my partner in Check Yo Ponytail and owner of Media Contender/Top Shelf/SMOG. ‘Urgent’ it said. So of course I called him right way while I was walking through Staples Center randomly at the same time the Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame awards was letting out. Quincy Jones was rolling past me in a wheelchair as Danny said, ‘Wanna do a show with The Rolling Stones…’ Um, what?? YES.

Earlier that day AEG/Goldenvoice, who are organizing the Stones main tour, reached out looking for a space. For whatever reason their normal venues weren’t lining up and they really wanted to put them somewhere ‘cool’ rather than the typical West Hollywood venues that most of these type of shows happen in. Who cares if they thought of us or we were the victims of a happy accident, we were determined to do whatever we needed to to make this happen.

A couple days later we met with The Rolling Stones main road crew to do a walk through of Echoplex. It was amazing to watch their team work. They exist as a mini army whose sole existence is to make sure The Stones are satisfied at every turn. Every aspect of the venue was explored up & down for hours. We did this twice. Eventually we got the call that it was on. Reality hadn’t really set in yet. All I knew was I had 36hrs to make a poster.

Knowing that we were going to do or have involvement in a show with The Rolling Stones was the hardest secret I’ve ever kept. On one hand it’s SO COOL and you wanna tell everyone. On the other, if you do, it’s going to be a complete shit show. Friends, family, there was no hope in getting people in. There was one equal chance for everyone to attend: The big announcement Saturday morning.

Saturday came. The whole day was consumed with Rolling Stones media. Someone had leaked the show the day before, so there was already a line at The El Rey Theatre, where the tickets to the show were to be sold for a measly $20. My twitter, facebook and texts were blowing up even before anyone knew I had any involvement with the show, just purely because we’ve done shows at The Echoplex before. There was desperate search to find whatever and any way in. I couldn’t help.

I spent the day at the El Rey selling tickets. The amount of people that knew about the show was really small. So even when it came down to the details of selling the tickets and controlling the crowd, we all played our part. The line wrapped around the block and a lottery system was put into place to choose the winners. 350 lucky people got tickets and screamed on their way out in excitement.

The experience of being at the show itself was the most surreal of all. Since I helped organize the show and had made the poster, I had full access. The Echoplex was completely transformed, especially the backstage area, which now encompassed the entire back lot. Star Trailers were brought in, a make-up booth was set up, the backstage was buzzing with techs, celebrities and various Stones family members. Everyone back there was really nice and even all had the biggest smiles. Top to bottom, fan to crew, everyone was @#$%& stoked to watch this show.

When the Stones finally started I felt like I was still living in a state of disbelief. It was too real to be real. They played 14 songs in 90 min. They played like they were teenagers, it was @#$%& amazing. I’d watched a few Stones live shows from throughout the eras to get ready for the show and even at their age I couldn’t tell a difference. Mick still had all the jarring, spastic moves he’s always had. Keith still looking cool with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. It was flawless. As I looked around the room and saw people like Johnny Depp and Gwen Stefani nodding their heads and smiling too, I knew they felt the same. As I looked into the audience and witnessed the Echoplex brimming w a level of excitement I’d never experienced there, I knew they felt the same too. The Rolling Stones won the night (or the decade) and created something people will talk about likely for the rest of our lives.

This wasn’t just an amazing event, but a beautiful example of people coming together to make something great happen. The Echoplex, their crew, everyone at AEG, Goldenvoice, Concerts West, The Rolling Stones, Danny Johnson & I all logged in a bunch of hours to pull this thing off. @#$%& amazing work and extra special THANKS to Lesley Olenik for spearheading the whole thing and Echoplex for all the crazy work they had to do.

Still can’t believe this happened!

[iheartcomix.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:23

Cool story!

Date: May 1, 2013 01:54

thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 1, 2013 02:24

Great story.

That poster will be a part of Rolling Stones history and a collectors item worth a fortune on their 100th anniversary when we will all be gone.

This could be the last tour so we gotta make the most of it. winking smiley

Midnight Rambler Echoplex
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 30, 2013 15:10

Where is the video?

Re: Midnight Rambler Echoplex
Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 30, 2013 15:20

I thought you had found one...

Date: April 30, 2013 15:22

Please, come on! My heart stopped a bit now - CHANGE the title! sad smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2013 15:50

angry smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:08

here's a photo from MR, posted on MT's official site...

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:19

mnewman505

Which is Mick Taylor Official Facebook
NOT the other one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 16:21 by SundanceKid.

Date: April 30, 2013 16:33

Both Taylor and Keith look more than ready for the tour thumbs up

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:33

Ronnie needs wardrobe advice............anybody?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 30, 2013 16:53

If everyone paid a fee for misleading thread titles, we could hire the Stones to play a private IORR.org gig by now.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:01

Munichhilton

what ..you didn't like the T shirt choice...?

Date: April 30, 2013 17:03

duke richardson
Munichhilton

Perhaps a nice button up? Maybe a polo?

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:07

SundanceKid
mnewman505

NOT the other one...

and NOW there is only ONE FB Page for MT...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:07

Munichhilton
duke richardson
Munichhilton

i thought it was a repro of one of his nudes on his t shirt..?

marketing.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:29

gripweed
SundanceKid
mnewman505

NOT the other one...

and NOW there is only ONE FB Page for MT...
guys his official facebook page vanished between when I posted that photo and now, not sure what happened. He was probably sent a cease and desist by Loewenstein's office.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:49

Munichhilton
duke richardson
Munichhilton

He had his tour wardrobe in a storeage unit,
but it was opened and auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-30 17:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 30, 2013 17:59

Wow, that is a fantastic photo. Taylor looks great, and love how all three guitarists appear to be right into it, having a blast.

Date: April 30, 2013 18:02

Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
duke richardson
Munichhilton

He had his tour wardrobe in a storeage unit,
but it was opened and auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Hey who can blame him...20 bucks is 20 bucks...

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 30, 2013 18:23

What a great pic! I love the way Keef and MT are communicating through that look! It says so much.

BTW, Ronnie looks fantastic as always. A polo?! Worst thing you can wear!

Date: April 30, 2013 18:23

lettingitbleed
What a great pic! I love the way Keef and MT are communicating through that look! It says so much.

BTW, Ronnie looks fantastic as always. A polo?! Worst thing you can wear!

Just grabbing at straws...maybe a pirate shirt?

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 30, 2013 18:47

Sorry to mislead anyone... Hope the video will surface anyhow... Taylor looks more fit and healthy... I think he will eventually be onstage for the whole show, I mean why would nt he if the band sounds better?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home