Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Should Ronnie Sit It Out During Mick T Numbers?
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:35

Look,I see no need for Mick T to sit in on any Ron Wood era tunes and vice-versa.But would it be rude for Ron to be asked to leave the stage when Mick T comes on.Sure,since Ron has been playing Mick T's "bits" for nearly 40 years now he could play on a couple but is a third guitar really needed for Midnight Rambler,Love In Vain etc.-don't we all want Mick T to be given a chance to stretch out?

Re: Should Ronnie Sit It Out During Mick T Numbers?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:50

I think the three of them together is just fine. They fill holes that age is causing. And Mick T is part of the Stones DNA. He should be allowed to play on any song he can contribute to.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:55

For some bizarre reason, I totally think of Mick T as part of the Stones DNA, but will never think of Ronnie that way, maybe because I saw him with the Faces too many times.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:57

lazzzybones
"But would it be rude for Ron to be asked to leave the stage when Mick T comes on"

Hopefully Mick and Keith will consider this. lol.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:02

Hairball
lazzzybones
"But would it be rude for Ron to be asked to leave the stage when Mick T comes on"

Hopefully Mick and Keith will consider this. lol.

lol um yeah... i don't think rudeness to the other band members has ever played much into their decision making... but seriously, these songs do well with 3 guitars, and most of them had at least 3 guitar tracks on them when done in the studio. makes sense to have all 3 playing on them, as long as they can stay reasonably organized...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:11

Next stage will be: should Ronnie be asked to leave? After all, he's only been filling in all these years until the Only Acceptable Second Guitarist can return...

Seriously, if the three guitars sound good together (and when I heard them, they did) then I'd rather hear the band enjoy the new possibilities of that setup than try to take the time machine back to an exact recreation of 1972.

Date: April 28, 2013 11:16

How can any other guitarist but Keith and Brian be part of the Stones' s DNA??

Date: April 28, 2013 11:43

No disrespect to Ronnie,but to have just Mick T and Keith play on a couple of tunes would be a buzz.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:49

One of the top 10 dumbest threads ever on this board. Ronnie is a stone, Mick T. is not. Very hard for you oldies to understand that.

Date: April 28, 2013 12:17

JumpinJeppeFlash
One of the top 10 dumbest threads ever on this board. Ronnie is a stone, Mick T. is not. Very hard for you oldies to understand that.
Still like to have Mick T play a COUPLE of tunes without Ronnie's unnecessary input.

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:18

yeah, and why doesnt charlie and keith sit out as well.....what sense does that make, Mike T was a stone for 5 years, ronnies been there for over 40

Date: April 28, 2013 12:22

lazzzybones
JumpinJeppeFlash
Still like to have Mick T play a COUPLE of tunes without Ronnie's unnecessary input.

Why change the winning formula from last year? The three Guitar attack was good. Or do you have an agenda with this?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:37

Yes, it is so rude to make such a suggestion.

Green Lady
Next stage will be: should Ronnie be asked to leave? After all, he's only been filling in all these years until the Only Acceptable Second Guitarist can return...

Seriously, if the three guitars sound good together (and when I heard them, they did) then I'd rather hear the band enjoy the new possibilities of that setup than try to take the time machine back to an exact recreation of 1972.

My secret dream is that after the concerts in Hyde Park as the latest fixed concert so far, Mick Taylor will rejoin the band as a fulltime member. That those new possibilities, which Green Lady mentions, will inspire a phase of recording sessions for an album, and that the buzz around Mick Taylor rejoining the band will occasion much more interest in a Rolling Stones studio album, due to the new possiblities. That the revived interest in a new studio offering from the Stones will make it possible to have much more new and I hope very good songs in setlists of following concerts.

This is wishthinking, but it is also the time for some wishes to come true.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:38

Beast of Babylon
yeah, and why doesnt charlie and keith sit out as well.....what sense does that make, Mike T was a stone for 5 years, ronnies been there for over 40

Thank you!

Date: April 28, 2013 12:38

DandelionPowderman
lazzzybones
JumpinJeppeFlash

Why change the winning formula from last year? The three Guitar attack was good. Or do you have an agenda with this?
No agenda with the 3 guitar attack-would just like a COUPLE of Mick T era classics to be played without Ronnie.Love in Vain and Dead Flowers to be precise.

Date: April 28, 2013 12:43

Love in vain was Keith and Ry originally.

I find it weird asking a Stone to sit it out, but each to their own...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:46

lazzzybones
DandelionPowderman
lazzzybones
JumpinJeppeFlash

No agenda with the 3 guitar attack-would just like a COUPLE of Mick T era classics to be played without Ronnie.Love in Vain and Dead Flowers to be precise.

Love in Vain was recorded pre-Mick Taylor
Both Love in Vain and Dead Flowers have at least 3 guitars on the studio version (mandolin on Love in Vain)

Date: April 28, 2013 12:58

OK.Not a popular suggestion.No disrespect Ronnie!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 28, 2013 14:28

lazzzybones
OK.Not a popular suggestion.No disrespect Ronnie!

You seem to have come to your senses, lazzzybones.
So I won't post my response:

"In that case, why doesnt the entire band sit out so they can watch MT with the rest of us."

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 28, 2013 14:44

DandelionPowderman

Mick "sits out" during Keith's set. grinning smiley

Date: April 28, 2013 15:06

Kurt, fellow posters seem to be irate due to my post.Bear in mind I also asked if it would be considered rude to Ronnie. Maybe he would have no problem letting the '69 to '74 lineup do a couple of songs together.
Also , sonomastone & DandelionPowderman, I don't need a history lesson on who played on what and when.I'm fully aware studio LIV was pre-Taylor with Cooder on mandolin-can't recall any live mandolin version.It is a Mick T era song nonetheless as it was played regularly live in his time.
And ridiculous comments such as"yeah, why doesnt Charlie and keith sit out as well"-same 'em for someone else's post.
tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 28, 2013 15:08

uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman

Good point! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 28, 2013 15:17

Just as long as Chuck doesn't sit out any songs everything should be okay no matter who else is or isn't on stage.........

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 28, 2013 15:18

Keith, Ronnie and Mick T. play togther well, no one has to sit it out.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 28, 2013 15:21

Watching Midnight Rambler at the 02 concerts, there's no need for Ronnie to leave the stage as he has the musical sense to play very little thus leaving plenty of room for Taylor. smiling smiley

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: April 28, 2013 15:25

MT isn't even part of the band he's a guest. Ronnie is a Stone. I love how everyone compares based on their ability to solo which I prefer RW over MT in most cases style wise anyway. But a real guitar player has to be great at everything else. Ronnie is an awesome rhythmn player, awesome slide player, awesome riffer, and awesome pedal steel player.

I am glad MT is there though and 3 guitars are even better than 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 15:26 by Markdog.

Date: April 28, 2013 15:34

windmelody
Right, no-one HAS to sit out, and, yes, Ron is an awesome player, and yes, 3 guitars sound good but COULD MICK T JUST PLAY A COUPLE OF HIS ERA TUNES while Ron goes and does whatever Mick J does when he sits out.Sheesh!

Date: April 28, 2013 15:35

uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman

That's weird, too. He should be there, sharing the mic with Keith smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 28, 2013 15:42

lazzzybones
windmelody
Right, no-one HAS to sit out, and, yes, Ron is an awesome player, and yes, 3 guitars sound good but COULD MICK T JUST PLAY A COUPLE OF HIS ERA TUNES while Ron goes and does whatever Mick J does when he sits out.Sheesh!

Then WHY do you want this to happen?

What is really to be obtained by that?

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 15:42

lazzzybones
Look,I see no need for Mick T to sit in on any Ron Wood era tunes and vice-versa.But would it be rude for Ron to be asked to leave the stage when Mick T comes on Yes it would be! What a stupid question..Sure,since Ron has been playing Mick T's "bits" for nearly 40 years now he could play on a couple but is a third guitar really needed for Midnight Rambler,Love In Vain etc.-don't we all want Mick T to be given a chance to stretch out?Not all of us for sure!

Ronnie is a band member and MT not! He's in the band ten times longer than MT was.
MT is nothing more than a guest like all the other guest that have been playing with them.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home