Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Taylor
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 21, 2013 20:59

Is he TRULY rehearsing with the band? And traveling in the trunk of a limo?

Assume those who tear him to shreds hear are not familiar with his work with the Stones from 1969 on...not to mention his work with Mayall.

He is a brilliant guitarist. PERIOD.

If you are a Stones fan why not allow The Rolling Stones the right to include him in the forthcoming tour? After all, it is THEIR band.

Re: Mick Taylor
Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: April 21, 2013 21:19

Amen! Stonesrule!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 21, 2013 21:21

Great.
A thread dedicated to anyone who would like to voice an opinion on MT.
They don't have to take over the LA Rehearsals thread now. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 21, 2013 21:21

I quite simply LOVE THE ROLLING STONES! And you're right - it's 'their band'.

The recent brouhaha here over Mick Taylor is ridiculous. Aren't we grateful that our Rolling Stones are rehearsing and about to tour? Isn't that enough?

Brian,Nicky, Jimmy, Billy, Ollie,Don, Bobby, Bernard, Blondie, Lisa,Taylor, Ronnie, on and on, are the ones who made the soundtrack to our lives.

Can't we just live with it?

confused smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 21, 2013 21:53

I hope Mick Taylor's there, and if not, then I hope he's there soon. I am glad that we are supposed to be getting three guitarists! Mick, Ronnie, and Keith! It doesn't get any better than that!

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 21, 2013 22:12

Cocaine Eyes

The recent brouhaha here over Mick Taylor is ridiculous. Aren't we grateful that our Rolling Stones are rehearsing and about to tour? Isn't that enough?

Brian,Nicky, Jimmy, Billy, Ollie,Don, Bobby, Bernard, Blondie, Lisa,Taylor, Ronnie, on and on, are the ones who made the soundtrack to our lives.

confused smiley

NO. I only accept Taylor playing a huge Ampeg SVT- early 7tees cranked up at 11, noodling the entire shows away like he did in '73. If not, I just play an old boot and rest in peace. I won't take a guitarist playing the second fiddle like Wood did for almost 38 years. I'm Taylor era fan you know !

So my chances are zero.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 21, 2013 22:50

VT22

I'm Taylor era fan you know !

And you are rightly proud of it!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 21, 2013 23:19

He will arrive this week.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 21, 2013 23:22

Cocaine Eyes

confused smiley

Please direct me to said brouhaha.

Date: April 21, 2013 23:33

He'll be there soon.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 21, 2013 23:33

Dreamer
He will arrive this week.

Yes thanks, I know, and he is on call for the next three months.
But it's not whether he plays, but how he plays.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 21, 2013 23:49

If he really was travelling in the trunk, it would have to be a really big trunk to get him in!

In fact this is one area where Ronnie would beat him hands down - you get fit three Ronnies in to one of Taylor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 23:50 by crumbling_mice.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 22, 2013 00:05

crumbling_mice
you get fit three Ronnies in to one of Taylor!
And he's STILL not as good!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 22, 2013 00:12

RollingFreak
crumbling_mice
you get fit three Ronnies in to one of Taylor!
And he's STILL not as good!

smileys with beer

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 22, 2013 00:41

Taylor did some of the best recordings anybody did in rock'n'roll on the electric guitar. He had huge problems after his time with the Stones, but his guest spots last year were convincing, they brought something special to the concerts. The audience, the Stones and Taylor will benefit from his appearances, so he will be there.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 22, 2013 01:49

As I have said before, it will be great to have ALL of them onstage TOGETHER, Wood included. I just hope they are creative with the guitar parts - there are certainly plenty of opportunities to mix it up, given the richness of the catalog. I only wish Bill were there too. That would be perfect, but this is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 05:58 by 71Tele.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 22, 2013 01:56

Yeah but they're going to have to rehearse a lot to flesh out some nice guitar parts, not having Taylor around for the first week is not a very good sign of that I'm afraid...since they only have one week left basically before the first show in LA.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 22, 2013 02:02

That Mick T has not been at the rehearsal from the outset and will only be there for a week suggests that his role in the upcoming shows will be more limited than a lot of people had hoped, more ceremonial and cameo-oriented as opposed to fully integrated throughout the show. Perhaps they'll give him 2 or 3 numbers, rather than just one.

Date: April 22, 2013 02:06

71Tele
As I have said before, it will be great to have ALL of them onstage TOGETHER, Wood included. I just hope they are creative with the guitar parts - there are certainly plenty of opportunities to mix it up, given the richness of the catalog. I wonly wish Bill were there too. That would be perfect, but this is great.

100% absolutely agree. I love Mick Taylor, I love Ronnie Wood, I love Keith Richards. You know why? Because I love the Rolling Stones. They have each been helpful to making the music we all love and its not necessary to rank them. Do I like Taylor more? Yeah, mainly because he's on my favorite recordings, which isn't necessarily fair to Ronnie Wood. Mick Taylor could have been on a lot of crap too if he didn't leave, and Ronnie had his own great stuff going on during the Stones glory period. But yes, I do happen to like Mick Taylor's guitar playing a little more.

However, I have always thought that in this past decade, Ronnie has SHINED as the Stones guitarist, especially when Keith was under par. When I watch videos of the band since 2000, most of the guitar parts I get into are played by Ronnie. He's an EXCELLENT guitarist and the guy genuinely seems like he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I don't want to see Mick Taylor guest with the Stones. I want to see Mick Taylor PLAY with the Stones, and noodle around with Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards. We know Richards and Taylor sound good together, we know Wood and Richards sound good together. As a three piece, they would sound excellent. They can easily all get along and play together and it would just be awesome to see them have fun with each other. I think it would inspire all 3 of them, and as a fan of the band, I'd love to see Mick Taylor cheer on Wood during a solo and Wood to the same. And Keith Richards smiling like a grandfather at both of them. Its just a nice image for us fans. And I think it would inspire a friendly one-upsmanship that would lead to an awesome guitar section. I also think it would dispel all the cheers and talk of "we just want to see Taylor" or "we just want to see Wood". You'd get to see both of them and there wouldn't really be a section of the show where one feels second fiddle.

Anyway, there's my rant. I'd be happy to just see Taylor guest, but yeah, what I said above would be the dream, and one that really shouldn't be unattainable. Obviously I'd also love to see Bill with them too, but what are ya gonna do. He doesn't seem to really want to play with them and we can't do anything about the fact that he doesn't like to travel. I think the bottom line is, if Wyman expressed an interest, the Stones would probably take him this late in the game to capitalize on their 50th. I want to see Wyman if he wants to be there.

Date: April 22, 2013 02:10

stonehearted
That Mick T has not been at the rehearsal from the outset and will only be there for a week suggests that his role in the upcoming shows will be more limited than a lot of people had hoped, more ceremonial and cameo-oriented as opposed to fully integrated throughout the show. Perhaps they'll give him 2 or 3 numbers, rather than just one.

It was dumb to ever really think it was more than that. You really think that Mick Taylor, after 40 years, is gonna be BACK in the Rolling Stones? Just like so many fans wanted? That always seemed doubtful. It would be dumb if Taylor is there every show and the Stones play songs like Sway and Shine A Light and others of that nature without him on stage. Its just plain stupid. What I only hope is that they realize that midway through the tour and change it, and unfortunately those early shows just end up getting the short end of the stick.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: April 22, 2013 02:47

DandelionPowderman
He'll be there soon.

... and put you over the moon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2013 03:44

Pre- Stones Mick Taylor...ripping it up! thumbs up

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 22, 2013 03:51

I think I'll wait and see what happens rather than pre-conceived notions about MT only being at the rehearsals for a week.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 22, 2013 06:00

RollingFreak
71Tele
As I have said before, it will be great to have ALL of them onstage TOGETHER, Wood included. I just hope they are creative with the guitar parts - there are certainly plenty of opportunities to mix it up, given the richness of the catalog. I wonly wish Bill were there too. That would be perfect, but this is great.

100% absolutely agree. I love Mick Taylor, I love Ronnie Wood, I love Keith Richards. You know why? Because I love the Rolling Stones. They have each been helpful to making the music we all love and its not necessary to rank them. Do I like Taylor more? Yeah, mainly because he's on my favorite recordings, which isn't necessarily fair to Ronnie Wood. Mick Taylor could have been on a lot of crap too if he didn't leave, and Ronnie had his own great stuff going on during the Stones glory period. But yes, I do happen to like Mick Taylor's guitar playing a little more.

However, I have always thought that in this past decade, Ronnie has SHINED as the Stones guitarist, especially when Keith was under par. When I watch videos of the band since 2000, most of the guitar parts I get into are played by Ronnie. He's an EXCELLENT guitarist and the guy genuinely seems like he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I don't want to see Mick Taylor guest with the Stones. I want to see Mick Taylor PLAY with the Stones, and noodle around with Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards. We know Richards and Taylor sound good together, we know Wood and Richards sound good together. As a three piece, they would sound excellent. They can easily all get along and play together and it would just be awesome to see them have fun with each other. I think it would inspire all 3 of them, and as a fan of the band, I'd love to see Mick Taylor cheer on Wood during a solo and Wood to the same. And Keith Richards smiling like a grandfather at both of them. Its just a nice image for us fans. And I think it would inspire a friendly one-upsmanship that would lead to an awesome guitar section. I also think it would dispel all the cheers and talk of "we just want to see Taylor" or "we just want to see Wood". You'd get to see both of them and there wouldn't really be a section of the show where one feels second fiddle.

Anyway, there's my rant. I'd be happy to just see Taylor guest, but yeah, what I said above would be the dream, and one that really shouldn't be unattainable. Obviously I'd also love to see Bill with them too, but what are ya gonna do. He doesn't seem to really want to play with them and we can't do anything about the fact that he doesn't like to travel. I think the bottom line is, if Wyman expressed an interest, the Stones would probably take him this late in the game to capitalize on their 50th. I want to see Wyman if he wants to be there.

thumbs up My sentiments exactly.

Date: April 22, 2013 09:55

My ultimate dream would be to have Mick Taylor on everything. The more the better. I think they owe it to him for his great contributions during their best years.

They made a ton of money through the years after he left off of their back catalog on vinyl, cassettes, cds, and now mp3s. I purchased mine - along with many other fans - starting from the 80's, where Mick Taylor didn't get a cent from all those albums he played on. He got nothing off of those years from the 80's till now. That's a long time to be broke while albums you played on were still selling.

I know that he took a cash sum and received a little bit up until the Stones signed a new contract with CBS. But they should have continued to pay him. But it probably all worked for the best and provided Mick Taylor with an opportunity to grow during his hardships. He was very young still when he left the band and not many musicians are business oriented. The Stones themselves learned this lesson thanks to Allen Klein. They could have been more understanding.

I hope they fixed this and help him out which it seems like they finally are doing. It would be the ethical thing to do. I am sure they have all grown as people otherwise they wouldn't even be doing this right now. I am really glad and grateful for the chance to have lived to see some kind of reconcilliation.

They all stand to gain more together. With Ronnie playing so great, and Mick Taylor adding his talent, they could probably afford to continue without that actor mascarading as a musician Keith Richards guy who starred in Pirates Of The Carribean! Lol Just kidding! If it wasn't for Keith I would never have liked The Rolling Stones.

Anyway, this is a great thread, and I love everything said above!

God I just love The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: April 22, 2013 10:14

I know you guys will yawn but for me Ronnie will never be a true Stone. He is as a matter of fact the copartner to Rod Steward in look and playing.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 22, 2013 10:47

leatherjacket
I know you guys will yawn but for me Ronnie will never be a true Stone. He is as a matter of fact the copartner to Rod Steward in look and playing.

Yaaaaaaaaawn!

Date: April 22, 2013 10:48

SundanceKid
DandelionPowderman
He'll be there soon.

... and put you over the moon.

Indeed he will, just like in London in November thumbs up

How old are we, 14? eye popping smiley

Date: April 22, 2013 14:51

In the photos from Ron Wood's exhibit, Mick Taylor looks great! He has lost a lot of weight and is looking very happy! I'm really happy for him!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 22, 2013 14:53

I'm hoping for all 3 guitars for part of the show. I don't think there should be any discussion about Ronnie being a true Stone. He's been in the band longer than Brian Jones & Mick Taylor combined. & I love his playing especially with the news that he's sobered up. He was fantastic on the 40 Licks tour. I saw one show on the Bigger Bang tour where he was out of it but that happens to the best of us. Keith did the heavy lifting with assist from Blondie Chaplin behind the amps kind of. That being said, I never got to see the Stones with Mick Taylor as I was 11 the last time he toured the US with the band. I certainly do enjoy his work from that period that I've heard. The videos I've seen on Youtube from the November/December shows of Midnight Rambler have all been good. They all look happy to be playing together & sound great. I may be wrong here but when the tour was announced initially didn't they say "with special guest Mick Taylor"? I also saw an interview with Keith talking about how he was looking forward to having all 3 guitars play together. We shall see in a few weeks! Whatever the case, I just feel privileged to see the Stones one more time.cool smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home