Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Philadelphia June 2013 show planning
Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:22

Rokyfan
You are correct she was talking about cost. You can probably get a room for the same price in Center City. MAybe not, but that way you won't be in jersey. yeah, I've been in Cherry Hill and that area a lot. Maybe some even better bargains in downtown Camden. Like i said YMMV . . . depends what you are looking for.

Camden is great advice. You should let the posters know your joking, I hope.

One of the most dangerous cities in America.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:54

stay away from Camden please people

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:56

For now, I'm keeping the Holiday Inn reservation for the two concert nights, it looks like the price I reserved it at a few months ago is better than now. I do like being close to the venue on concert nights,it feels safer, especially in a city I'm not familiar with and because I'll be with my daughter one night and my sisters the other. I used to be a lot more intrepid, but getting mugged at gunpoint definitely curbed my wandering ways.

But, thanks for the advice.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 9, 2013 05:19

Checking other hotels, there are spaces at locations at the PHL airport too.

I recommend a cover band The Glimmer Twins playing in Xfinity if anyone is around and looking for something to do pre-show. They are playing from 6-8.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a restaurant/bar near the menu to meet before the show?
(Apologies if I missed this earlier in the topic.)

If you see someone in a black straw cowboy hat with a tongue, it is probably me. Please say hi!
I met stonedintx that way, hee.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 9, 2013 15:58

Can't wait for these concerts!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 9, 2013 16:04

MingSubu
Can't wait for these concerts!!!

Although the Stones seem to be schizophrenic in Philly according to previous iorr member posts, I think they will rock Philly.

You're in for a great time!!!

Date: June 9, 2013 16:17

angee

I recommend a cover band The Glimmer Twins playing in Xfinity if anyone is around and looking for something to do pre-show. They are playing from 6-8.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a restaurant/bar near the menu to meet before the show?

If you see someone in a black straw cowboy hat with a tongue, it is probably me. Please say hi!

The hat sounds very cool angee, I hope to see you there!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:19

angee

Went to a Glimmer Twins show about 2 years ago. It was a good time.

Posted by: GRC ()
Date: June 9, 2013 21:12

What bar in Xfinity are the Glimmer Twins playing?

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 00:20

Blackdog
latebloomer
schillid
latebloomer
Hey schillid, any recommendations for hotels to stay at in Center City? I'm booked at the Holiday Inn near Wells Fargo, but it's too much $$, so think I might move, at least for the in between nights.

Sorry I don't know about hotels... I grew up near Phila. My folks still live there and the spare bedroom is already booked.

I assume with you! No worries, enjoy the show. smiling smiley

Hi latebloomer,

How much is the Holiday Inn? I am from NJ and you may be better off getting a hotel right across the Walt Whitman bridge on the NJ side. Voorhees, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mount Laurel Area. It will take you 10-15 minutes from these areas to get to and from the Wells Fargo Center.

Yo Blackdog, all due respect , but I would strongly recommend against staying across the bridge in Jersey. While its true that those hotels are normally 10-15 mins away, on the 21st especially, you'll be fighting the traffic from the Phillies game which is in the stadium across the parking lot.

I live in Jersey, but decided to stay in the city as my cousin is coming in from Sacramento and hasn't ever really seen the city. We're staying at the Embassy Suites on the BFranklin Parkway (designed by Kevin Bacon's dad, Edmund- where the art museum is with the Rocky statue). I paid $206 total for a killer view and its really only 5 mins on the subway that will be packed with Stones fans and costs $2.

We'll be bar hopping Friday afternoon-McGlinchey's (1 beer only as I am a former smoker and don't want to deal with too much temptation), then ending up at The Devil's Den in South Philly.

Date: June 10, 2013 04:06

Good question, GRC, which bar in Xfinity.
I don't know the area, will try to find out.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 10, 2013 04:15

"Glimmer Twins" Tribute Band on Concert Stage
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Stop by XFINITY Live! Philadelphia before the "Rolling Stones" concert at the Wells Fargo Center and enjoy live music from the tribute band, "Glimmer Twins," on the outdoor concert stage 6-8pm.

[xfinitylive.com]

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: June 10, 2013 04:25

that outdoor stage is pretty much where the spectrum used to stand

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 10, 2013 04:29

For that matter, so is Xfinity Live!

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: June 10, 2013 04:32

xfinity live........i hate that place

Date: June 10, 2013 06:02

is it awful? why?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 06:36

Blackdog
Rokyfan
You are correct she was talking about cost. You can probably get a room for the same price in Center City. MAybe not, but that way you won't be in jersey. yeah, I've been in Cherry Hill and that area a lot. Maybe some even better bargains in downtown Camden. Like i said YMMV . . . depends what you are looking for.

yeah, obviously joking. the person who said stay over the bridge in jersey was serious.

Date: June 10, 2013 07:26

I have been to 4 shows (Vodoo, BB, NoSecurity, ABcool smiley This will be my first show with my old man whos has been a fan since 65 and started the stones. Became a STONES fan listening to the bluesy "Walking the dog" Starting at the Holiday Inn then heading to Xfinity for Glimmers twins...

Date: June 10, 2013 07:38

Before Todd Stone kills me the quote was suppose to say "since 65 and started ME on the stones in 89 ( I was pissed i did not get to steel wheels)..can't wait for the 21st

Posted by: kelv ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:40

Surprised to see there are still seats available for the June 18 show, was just talking to my other half who went to Montreal last night and she almost convinced me i'd better see them again while I can !!!.
Considering I only fly into the US tomorrow (from Australia)and will be in California (where i'm racing), trying to work out the logistics, looks like Monday night flight will get me to Philly concert morning, may then be a case of working out how to kill time till after lunch and checking into a closeby hotel, just looking up the Holiday Inn and considering the price of the flight think i'll spend more on the tickets and less on the hotel, Skyview Plaza seems cheap enough and relatively close ?

Date: June 10, 2013 21:26

shawnriffhard1
Blackdog
latebloomer
schillid
latebloomer
Hey schillid, any recommendations for hotels to stay at in Center City? I'm booked at the Holiday Inn near Wells Fargo, but it's too much $$, so think I might move, at least for the in between nights.

Sorry I don't know about hotels... I grew up near Phila. My folks still live there and the spare bedroom is already booked.

I assume with you! No worries, enjoy the show. smiling smiley

Hi latebloomer,

How much is the Holiday Inn? I am from NJ and you may be better off getting a hotel right across the Walt Whitman bridge on the NJ side. Voorhees, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mount Laurel Area. It will take you 10-15 minutes from these areas to get to and from the Wells Fargo Center.

Yo Blackdog, all due respect , but I would strongly recommend against staying across the bridge in Jersey. While its true that those hotels are normally 10-15 mins away, on the 21st especially, you'll be fighting the traffic from the Phillies game which is in the stadium across the parking lot.

I live in Jersey, but decided to stay in the city as my cousin is coming in from Sacramento and hasn't ever really seen the city. We're staying at the Embassy Suites on the BFranklin Parkway (designed by Kevin Bacon's dad, Edmund- where the art museum is with the Rocky statue). I paid $206 total for a killer view and its really only 5 mins on the subway that will be packed with Stones fans and costs $2.

We'll be bar hopping Friday afternoon-McGlinchey's (1 beer only as I am a former smoker and don't want to deal with too much temptation), then ending up at The Devil's Den in South Philly.

Phillies start at 7:05

Stones get on at 8:45

No problems at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 22:45 by Blackdog.

Date: June 10, 2013 21:28

Rokyfan
Blackdog
Rokyfan

yeah, obviously joking. the person who said stay over the bridge in jersey was serious.

Is there a problem with staying in NJ? Think outside the box.

Just trying to help latebloomer with an alternative.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 22:50 by Blackdog.

Date: June 11, 2013 00:01

GRC, it'd be great, to meet you and your dad at Xfinity or elsewhere on the 18th!

Yes, kelv, Skyview Plaza looks to be inexpensive...anyone know anything else about it?
I may recommend it to someone I know who may need a place for one night, if it's not too bad.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 00:05 by angee.

Date: June 11, 2013 03:55

Blackdog
Rokyfan
Blackdog
Rokyfan

Is there a problem with staying in NJ? Think outside the box.

Just trying to help latebloomer with an alternative.

For many people I am sure NJ is fine, Blackdog. I often stay there when I go up to New York City. Thank you for the suggestion, but, for now, I'm going to stick with the Holiday Inn.
I'm already broke, I'll just be a little broker. grinning smiley

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:01

I just got tickets in the lower bowl for $147 for 6/18!

Posted by: Fixembones ()
Date: June 12, 2013 16:23

I am going on June 21. Anybody want to plan an early meet up at a local bar?

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: June 12, 2013 16:29

Is there any $85 dollar tickets let for Philly. Looking for either 1 on Tuesday or 2 on Friday.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 12, 2013 17:31

Donnebr
Is there any $85 dollar tickets let for Philly. Looking for either 1 on Tuesday or 2 on Friday.
I MAY HAVE 1 $85 FOR TUESDAY. WILL KNOW FOR SURE ON FRIDAY.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: June 12, 2013 17:40

TO BILLPERKS. Thanks if you could let me know. Cheers

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 14, 2013 13:36

i am going to see the stones 6/18 in philly ,i am staying at the red roof inn at the airport in essington .does anyone know if the subway or mass transit takes you from the airport to the wells fargo and back to the airport? got a pretty good deal on the hotel room with my AAA DISCOUNT $83.47 for the night.also how is the area around the airport is it safe or is it a high crime area? has anyone stayed there before at the red roof in essington ?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home