Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Mick Taylor's role on the 2013 Tour ? More ?
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 4, 2013 21:36

yeah,,,,ok.anyway, like i said they didnt take it well.

Date: April 4, 2013 22:06

and by the way dandelion,if you're gonna use my entire post is it too much to ask that you put the "qoute" on it next time-thanks in advance.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 22:39

Seeing EC and Florence at the O2 was great, and having Bill on for a couple of numbers was fun for old time's sake...but for me Mick Taylor was the highlight of the show. On the assumption that there are no guests (including Bill) in 2013, maybe this opens up the possibility of MT having a more substantial role? I'm pretty keen them including Fingerprint File in the setlist myself...would they stretch that far I wonder?

There was a comment earlier in this thread about the Stones not having a three guitar attack. This is true...I really never understood why Blondie Chaplin was up there with them, and I certainly prefer the stripped down lineup they sported last year. The closer to the band I first saw in 1982, the better, say I.

Lee

Date: April 4, 2013 23:06

lem motlow
and by the way dandelion,if you're gonna use my entire post is it too much to ask that you put the "qoute" on it next time-thanks in advance.

Dunno what happened, lem. I usually do smiling smiley

Date: April 4, 2013 23:50

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

Dunno what happened, lem. I usually do smiling smiley

it just looked confusing because i was making a reply to something doxa said to me.-but no big deal,not a problem.

[its not as if you brought an army of people in lime green t-shirts to hunt me down]

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 23:57

DandelionPowderman

However, there are people here as well that openly say that they don't bother listening to what Mick or Charlie do on stage when Taylor plays.

I am one of them, real time in 1973 already. Nothing for puppies.winking smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 8, 2013 11:31

Anyone who sats that Ronnie is a better guitar player than Mick Taylor is completely ignorant of guitar playing skills. Mick Taylor is one of the best. Ronnie took 40 years to even start playing a proximity of Mick Taylor's parts. Its completely preposterous to put Ronnie above Mick. Not to say Ronnie isn't a good player, he is, but he doesn't have the fluid, melodic sensibility of Mick. Not even close. Some of the best lead playing ever is on Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

Date: April 8, 2013 11:34

Better at what? What Ronnie did in the Faces still stands as a rock in rock music history.

Mick Taylor is probably a better solo guitarist than Ronnie, but that's just one of many tasks of being a guitarist.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 8, 2013 12:02

Well I've never seen the Stones play with Mick Taylor (being far too young!) so I count myself lucky to be able to see him at Hyde Park. We should count our blessings that the Stones still have so many living original members. Not many big "classic rock" groups can say the same.

Date: April 8, 2013 12:08

You're in for a great experience, Father Ted. It was fantastic seeing Taylor in the O2 Arena thumbs up

Date: April 8, 2013 12:14

DandelionPowderman
You're in for a great experience, Father Ted. It was fantastic seeing Taylor in the O2 Arena thumbs up

Cheers DP, taking my 70 yr old Dad who's never seen them live! Are you going?

Date: April 8, 2013 12:18

Cool! thumbs up

Doing my best to make it happen.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 8, 2013 15:44

"The relative handful of extended solos were special"

+1

Isn't it the economy of MT's playing that in itself makes CYHMK and TWFN so special?

If all we wanted was guitar solos we'd all be on Carlos Santana's website

Date: April 8, 2013 15:50

exhpart
"The relative handful of extended solos were special"

+1

Isn't it the economy of MT's playing that in itself makes CYHMK and TWFN so special?

If all we wanted was guitar solos we'd all be on Carlos Santana's website

Yes, and no, I'd say.

We don't know from whom his econimic approach came from. Mick, Keith?

And on stage by 1973, he seemed to have forgot about it - or Mick and Keith approved it winking smiley

Date: April 8, 2013 16:09

Taylor used to deploy a nifty bit of slidework live. I listened to few tracks from a '72 boot over the weekend and he was tearing it up on ADTL. He had the ability to capture the melody and "feel" from a studio track and rework it to great effect on stage. I've often thought that the studio Stones and live Stones from that era were two different bands.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: April 8, 2013 18:30

Here we go again. The Taylor Mo's pining away for days gone by. The band thrived after his departure and, incredibly, managed to become legends before he showed up for a cup of tea. Not discounting his playing but pointing out the exaggerated importance some place on his role while in the band. He played guitar. Then he left. End of story. Oh yeah, those great songs he wrote while in the band...didn't happen. Those great songs he wrote since leaving the band...didn't happen. He plays an awesome guitar solo, but so does Wood. But Wood has the stones to be a Rolling Stone. Taylor couldn't hack it so he left. Enough said.

Date: April 8, 2013 20:39

Well, he's back now and everybody's happy smiling smiley

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:13

howled
Ronnie said that he was a Chameleon player and I'd agree.

Ronnie is an all purpose player like a handyman.

Taylor is a Blues/Rock player and that's the area where the Stones rock.

I'd tell Ronnie to go have a vacation and I'd bring Taylor back and not have the Stones play anything past IORR.

Well put, plus it would reduce ticket prices.smiling smiley

Unfortunately MT and KR cannot do that anymore..sad smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2013 19:39

Posted by Bob C. in a new thread, reposting here to keep things in the same place ;-)

"Just read this interview from the Chicago papers. Looks like Mick T. could have more than two songs. Keith speaking:

I’ve had a couple of chats with Mick Taylor about that and his great answer is: “I don’t really know.” Gee, really inspiring, Mick! But welcome back, anyway! It took us all, and himself, on another journey, but it was great to have him playing with us last year; I look forward to spreading that around a bit. Ronnie [Wood] and I, you know, we’re two guitars in the Stones, and on the records, there are at least four or five guitars, we overdub and overlay and overlay. And to have a third guitar in and add somebody else for flavor, to us, it’s a sheer luxury."

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 9, 2013 19:52

Shade
Here we go again. The Taylor Mo's pining away for days gone by. The band thrived after his departure and, incredibly, managed to become legends before he showed up for a cup of tea.

Thrived financially, maybe, but they lost it musically after Taylor left. A few OK tunes here and there is about the best that can be said for their work after 1974.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 9, 2013 22:12

blivet
Shade
Here we go again. The Taylor Mo's pining away for days gone by. The band thrived after his departure and, incredibly, managed to become legends before he showed up for a cup of tea.

Thrived financially, maybe, but they lost it musically after Taylor left. A few OK tunes here and there is about the best that can be said for their work after 1974.

Oh no...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:21

gotdablouse
Posted by Bob C. in a new thread, reposting here to keep things in the same place ;-)

"Just read this interview from the Chicago papers. Looks like Mick T. could have more than two songs. Keith speaking:

I’ve had a couple of chats with Mick Taylor about that and his great answer is: “I don’t really know.” Gee, really inspiring, Mick! But welcome back, anyway! It took us all, and himself, on another journey, but it was great to have him playing with us last year; I look forward to spreading that around a bit. Ronnie [Wood] and I, you know, we’re two guitars in the Stones, and on the records, there are at least four or five guitars, we overdub and overlay and overlay. And to have a third guitar in and add somebody else for flavor, to us, it’s a sheer luxury."
Taylor really, really wants this. He's trying to be proper and diplomatic. I hope the guitarists have a wonderful time and put their hearts into making this work. Keith has said the right thing, there are multiple guitar parts on Stones' recordings. Ronnie has to be up for it, he shakes off extended solos and seems to hate going round and round. One bonus for Keith is that he can choose to sit when playing acoustic parts. I can say from experience sitting for a couple of songs is invigorating during a 3 hour concert. This is a great quote from K.R.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:52

I think Keith has been very generous with Mick Taylor in the last year. When Keith referred to Bill and MT as Stonesin late 2011 it paved the way for what is now happening. I expect MT to come on at the same point in the show and stay to the end. Expect Midnight Rambler and Cant You Hear Me Knocking to be rotated and the same warhorses each night but with MT's input.MT gets a substantial fee each night and this is his Stones pension.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 10, 2013 08:53

Great to hear that they have brought him back. It makes me really happy. It's been a dream of mine to hear and see him with the band again. It's so cool that they did the right thing and helped him out financially. He was essential to their best years. Besides, there's no rules that need to be adhered to. Why not have three players? It sounds good. But to each their own.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 10, 2013 12:46

I guess Keith has realized that the guitar part has been too weak the last 10-15 years or so, so they need more guitar (not from Blondie). That's why Mick T is back. They didn't have to bring in a "non-Stones" to add the guitar - they had Mick T. Couldn't be better.

Date: April 10, 2013 12:51

It's a misunderstanding that they "needed" guitar from Blondie. He was more or less just strumming and was way, way down in the mix, just to fill out - the exact opposite of how it would work with Taylor.

Funnily, the guitars were really back on track on the nov/dec-shows, with and without Taylor.

Someone mentioned the Rambler-version from Brooklyn as the highlight of the show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-10 12:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 4, 2013 12:16

So the results for Staples Center are in and he played on...MR, just one friggin' song, same as the 2012 shows, this is disappointing and hard to understand after Keith "I don't know what I'm talking about/I have no say in what goes down anymore" Richards' comments on Fallon the other day.

It looked more promising after the short Echoplex show were he got two songs! Hopefully Mick "I make the calls" Jagger will hear how disappointed fans are!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 4, 2013 12:19

I noticed he didn't come out to take a bow at the end of the show.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 4, 2013 12:23

He was probably back in his hotel room or a bar by then.
Must be very hard to watch The Rolling Stones play live from the sidelines. confused smiley

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 4, 2013 12:27

gotdablouse
So the results for Staples Center are in and he played on...MR, just one friggin' song, same as the 2012 shows, this is disappointing and hard to understand after Keith "I don't know what I'm talking about/I have no say in what goes down anymore" Richards' comments on Fallon the other day.

It looked more promising after the short Echoplex show were he got two songs! Hopefully Mick "I make the calls" Jagger will hear how disappointed fans are!

I completely agree with you Gotdablouse he was underused...however...I know your strong dislike for Bill but in the interest of fairness here you have to acknowledge a pattern of Keith promising guests and us the world, then them/us being disappointed. Bill's disappointment seems very understandable.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2182
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home