Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bill Wyman interview - The Telegraph, March 30
Date: April 1, 2013 22:23

The "strangest?" part of the story is Wyman's marrying to Mandy's mother...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 1, 2013 22:28

Munichhilton
latebloomer
I didn't realize Bill is so much older than his wife Suzzane. She couldn't have been more than 25 years old when they married.

Poor ole Bill, he does live in a bit of a fantasy world if he thinks the average 50 some year old taxi driver in Halifax is dating a 13 year old.

Still, you gotta love the old guy. He sure must of had a way with women.

Not just dating a 13 year old...

Look you bastard, he did the 'right thing' and waited until she was 14.

Date: April 1, 2013 22:32

His Majesty
A taxi driver in Halifax doing what Bill did would probably have been prosecuted by the law and/or lynched by the locals. At the very least a few bricks through his windows and some kickings.

Mandy Smith's mother essentially sold her daughter for some access to fame etc. If Bill did indeed @#$%& her when she was 14 he should face the relevant laws about such things.

I respect him as a bassist for The Rolling Stones during 1963 - 1969, but this Mandy Smith thing was pure predatory old, rich man sleazing on a vulnerable young girl sex pest stuff.

The darkest chapter in the history of The Rolling Stones.

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 1, 2013 22:41

treaclefingers
His Majesty
A taxi driver in Halifax doing what Bill did would probably have been prosecuted by the law and/or lynched by the locals. At the very least a few bricks through his windows and some kickings.

Mandy Smith's mother essentially sold her daughter for some access to fame etc. If Bill did indeed @#$%& her when she was 14 he should face the relevant laws about such things.

I respect him as a bassist for The Rolling Stones during 1963 - 1969, but this Mandy Smith thing was pure predatory old, rich man sleazing on a vulnerable young girl sex pest stuff.

thumbs up

Darker than Brian's numerous, uncared for children? Darker than Brian beating up Anita? Darker than Brian gulping down pool water until dead?

Darker than Keith's junkiedom?

Darker than Jimmy Miller's downward spiral?

Darker than Astrid's possible rape in Jamaica?

Darker than Meredith Hunter being stabbed to death in front of the stage at Altamont?

Okay.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 1, 2013 22:48

24FPS
treaclefingers
His Majesty

thumbs up

Darker than Brian's numerous, uncared for children? Darker than Brian beating up Anita? Darker than Brian gulping down pool water until dead?

Darker than Keith's junkiedom?

Darker than Jimmy Miller's downward spiral?

Darker than Astrid's possible rape in Jamaica?

Darker than Meredith Hunter being stabbed to death in front of the stage at Altamont?

Okay.

let us not forget Keith's son dying in '76 and Anita's BF killing himself in Keith's house in what? '79? '80? pretty dark stuff there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 22:48 by lettingitbleed.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 1, 2013 22:57

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
latebloomer
I didn't realize Bill is so much older than his wife Suzzane. She couldn't have been more than 25 years old when they married.

Poor ole Bill, he does live in a bit of a fantasy world if he thinks the average 50 some year old taxi driver in Halifax is dating a 13 year old.

Disgusting

Date: April 1, 2013 23:04

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
latebloomer

Disgusting

Wot, are you saying he should have waited longer?

He's a Rollin' Stone for goodness sake!

Date: April 1, 2013 23:06

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
latebloomer

Disgusting

Papa was a rolling stone...Bill was a child r....oh never mind

Date: April 1, 2013 23:08

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
latebloomer

Disgusting

Papa was a rolling stone...Bill was a child r....oh never mind

I think Bill is the luckiest SOB ever.

Never mind that without M and K he woulda ended up a bricklayer...had he committed this crime now he would be in jail.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 2, 2013 00:16

stonehearted

I still think that Bill fell out with Mick and Keith over the Mandy Smith affair, and that this is the reason he left The Stones. I'm sure Mick and Keith didn't appreciate all the bad press Bill brought to The Rolling Stones' name as a result. Perhaps Bill will reveal as much in his upcoming memoir.

They may well have disapproved/had reservations, but but they attended the wedding, which sends a signal they are "ok with it.

I doubt Bill was forced out; There's an interview where he claims rather explicitly that he was offered a fortune to tour with them again post-Steel Wheels. Obviously that offer did not extend through 2012, but it suggests Mandy Smith did not figure in the decision.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2013 00:27

LIFE - Keith Richards ---------------------- page 118

ROCKMAN

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 2, 2013 00:28

Wyman was in the most successful tour ever after the scandal. He made a mistake. I do not like to defend him. But he who is free of sin may throw the first stone. Who cares about a .... thirty years ago?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 2, 2013 00:49

SweetThing
stonehearted

I still think that Bill fell out with Mick and Keith over the Mandy Smith affair, and that this is the reason he left The Stones. I'm sure Mick and Keith didn't appreciate all the bad press Bill brought to The Rolling Stones' name as a result. Perhaps Bill will reveal as much in his upcoming memoir.

They may well have disapproved/had reservations, but but they attended the wedding, which sends a signal they are "ok with it.

I doubt Bill was forced out; There's an interview where he claims rather explicitly that he was offered a fortune to tour with them again post-Steel Wheels. Obviously that offer did not extend through 2012, but it suggests Mandy Smith did not figure in the decision.

No, I'm sure he wasn't forced out--at least not by Mick and Keith. They didn't want to be bothered with the trouble of having to find a new bass player, so perhaps Bill fell out with Mick and Keith over other issues, if they fell out at all--there must have been a falling out, because the almost patronizing treatment Bill received with his involvement in the 2012 O2 shows [or lack thereof] would suggest that they have not fully reconciled. And the way Jagger sarcastically referred to him to the audience from the stage during one of the shows: "Ladies and gentlemen....the detector!"....

But I still feel that the timing of his decision to leave had something to do with all the negative publicity he was receiving over the Mandy Smith affair. He was happy to take part in the Steel Wheels tour at the outset, and he was grinning in all the publicity photos when newly married, but then before the 1990 tour is over he wants out--just as his marriage is failing. The interview clip below reveals how his decision to leave was already made as of 1990. Why did he not announce it then? Because with the band on hiatus, there was no need to make a decision. Only in 1993 with the band becoming active again, then a decision had to be made. He discusses this beginning at 10:30.

He was asked if anything had changed about his relationship with Mick and Keith since the book [[i]Stone Alone[/i]] had been out. "Yeah, I wanted to leave and they asked me to stay" he says at 9:12.

The Mandy Smith debacle made him the most notorious Rolling Stone, ahead of even Mick Jagger in terms of [tabloid] publicity and gossip, whereas before he always liked to keep a low profile. Strange how me remarries only 5 months after his divorce becomes final, starting a new family and a new life immediately, leaving his life as a Stone behind. Perhaps he would have left anyway, perhaps not, but I think the Mandy Smith affair hastened his decision to rethink his life and begin anew--as he now admits, his relationship with Mandy was really the result of a middle age crisis, a crisis he resolved by leaving his days as a Rolling Stone behind.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 2, 2013 01:01

24FPS

Darker than...

I withdraw my "darkest chapter" comment.

Comparing horrible things is not a road I wish to go down.

smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 2, 2013 01:06

Take away the money and fame and willy perks could boink his way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 01:14

You have to wonder how Bill would be feeling about a 45 year old man having sex with one of his daughters when they were 14. Not too cool with it I suspect.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 2, 2013 01:22

Can't we close this issue with one of their dark pages in history............

Date: April 2, 2013 01:29

rumple21
You have to wonder how Bill would be feeling about a 45 year old man having sex with one of his daughters when they were 14. Not too cool with it I suspect.

Who can say? Having been there himself, he might understand where the hypothetical older gentleman caller would be coming from, what motivates him--that is, if one of his daughters displays any interest in a man that age. Attraction is a two-way street. And Mandy's mother practically talked her into it with her approval, having "counseled" her daughter with the following words: "He's a Rolling Stone....and he's chosen you."

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 01:45

stonehearted
rumple21

Who can say? Having been there himself, he might understand where the hypothetical older gentleman caller would be coming from, what motivates him--that is, if one of his daughters displays any interest in a man that age. Attraction is a two-way street. And Mandy's mother practically talked her into it with her approval, having "counseled" her daughter with the following words: "He's a Rolling Stone....and he's chosen you."

Well in our modern world I suppose it's one way to get on the fame ladder, so sought after by some people.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 2, 2013 02:42

stonehearted
rumple21

A few thoughts about the whole thing...I agree with others who say they don't think Mick and Keith pushed Bill out over the Mandy thing. He has acknowledged that it was a mid-life crisis thing, but still, let's not sugar coat it.
I teach 13-14 year olds and they are still children. Their bodies may not always look it, but inside they have a lot of growing up to do. It is unfathomable to me that Bill Wyman couldn't see Mandy for the child she was and her mother deserves a special place in hell for pushing her child into a sexual relationship with a man who was clearly predatory. The fact that Mandy developed anorexia is an indication of her inability to handle the whole thing.
Bill seems to truly regret the whole thing, which he is to be commended for, but excusing it? No way.

Date: April 2, 2013 03:55

latebloomer
stonehearted
rumple21

A few thoughts about the whole thing...I agree with others who say they don't think Mick and Keith pushed Bill out over the Mandy thing. He has acknowledged that it was a mid-life crisis thing, but still, let's not sugar coat it.
I teach 13-14 year olds and they are still children. Their bodies may not always look it, but inside they have a lot of growing up to do. It is unfathomable to me that Bill Wyman couldn't see Mandy for the child she was and her mother deserves a special place in hell for pushing her child into a sexual relationship with a man who was clearly predatory. The fact that Mandy developed anorexia is an indication of her inability to handle the whole thing.
Bill seems to truly regret the whole thing, which he is to be commended for, but excusing it? No way.

On this one latebloomer, your right on the money!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 04:24

rumple21

Mick said of doing STRAY CAT BLUES on the Forty Licks Tour that it went over well although he wasn't crazy about doing it. I thought, "Yeah, he's thinking of Georgia May in a couple years."

I must say a couple girls who were flirty with me when they were jail bait 16 I later asked when they were 20—purely hypothetically—"What if I'd made moves on you then?" They each said, "I wish you had." But they probably didn't meant it, huh?

Date: April 2, 2013 04:32

Fookin' ell, the age of consent in Spain is 13!?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: April 2, 2013 04:46

His Majesty
Fookin' ell, the age of consent in Spain is 13!?

[en.wikipedia.org]

man that makes me feel a bit prudish.

actually, not really.

Date: April 2, 2013 05:36

Rockman

LIFE - Keith Richards ---------------------- page 118

Was he wrong about Bill and Mick? And foreign countries and taxes and punctuation and clowns and....

Date: April 2, 2013 05:54

treaclefingers
latebloomer
stonehearted
rumple21

On this one latebloomer, your right on the money!

Socially speaking, yes. Biologically speaking? Well, in centuries past, when the average life expectancy was 40 to 50 and it was common to expect that 3 or 4 of the half-dozen children you gave birth to would die in infancy or childhood, it made sense to get things started early, so that there would be ample time to establish a sizeable family to carry things on. It was just part of the culture, to see such things in pragmatic terms. How old were Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet? Certainly not 18 or older. If the play were written today, Romeo would be guilty of statutory rape.

But of course, since modern industrial civilization has created the social phenomenon of the "teenager"--quite a new concept in terms of human societal history--we are allowed the luxury of considering such things in more age-appropriate terms. Just 100 years ago, you would be lucky to get a fourth-grade education, before you would be sent off to work full-time 10-hour-a-day jobs alongside adults, helping to support the family.

And even in recent times, certain factions of even American culture have subscribed to the notion of early maturity in biological times--recall from the movie Coal Miner's Daughter the famous line: "Loretta's gettin' to be a woman now--goin' on fourteen...." [0:42]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 2, 2013 10:31

"Astrid's rape in Jamaica "?

Surely you meant Anita?

Date: April 2, 2013 14:45

Glam Descendant

Surely you meant Anita?

The Anita thing is probably a myth, sadly that seems to not be the case for Astrid.

Date: April 2, 2013 14:47

His Majesty
Glam Descendant

Surely you meant Anita?

The Anita thing is probably a myth, sadly that seems to not be the case for Astrid.

How do you know? She was locked up, that's confirmed?

Date: April 2, 2013 14:53

I don't know, but didn't Keith say it was nonsense?

Regarding Astrid...

gwen
From Rolling Stones: Rip This Joint: The Stories Behind Every Song by Steve Appleford ( [www.amazon.com] ):

…one night about six weeks into the recording, a man with a knife broke into Bill Wyman’s hotel room. The intruder demanded money and ordered Wyman underneath the bed. He then raped Wyman’s longtime girlfriend, Astrid Lundstrom. Minutes later, Johns [Engineer Andy Johns] heard a knock on his door. It was Astrid. “Oh Andy, you’ll never guess,” she told Johns. “I’ve just been raped!”

The engineer immediately grabbed some heavy object to use as a weapon and ran outside and down the road, cutting his feet on broken glass. But the rapist had escaped across the lawn in another direction. “Bill, obviously, was totally freaked because he’d had to lie under the bed while all of this went on,” says Johns. “If he had done anything the guy would have cut his @#$%& head off. He really didn’t have any @#$%& choice. It was a tough thing. It was another Rolling Stones thing. Shit like that was always going on.”

Bill and Astrid moved into another hotel, and the sessions continued.

Hopefully both stories are untrue, pretty @#$%& up thing to make up.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2091
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home