Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Obnoxious Grace Slick
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 24, 2013 02:24

Jah Paul
misterfrias
I'm surprised by this Grace Slick pile-on. Her comments regarding "aging rock stars" are far from obnoxious. In fact, I have read several comments by Mick Jagger in various publications from the sixties in which he states that he cannot imagine singing rock & roll after he reaches 30 years of age. A lot of other musicians from that time (i.e., the sixties) shared that same feeling. Anyone recall the line, "Hope I die before I get old"? I guess these aging rock stars get a pass now because they made their comments when they were young (i.e., before they realized that retirement would mean jumping off the gravy train).

That said, I never understood Jefferson Airplane's popularity. Much less the popularity of Jefferson Starship & Starship. A couple of JA songs are decent (WHITE RABBIT, SOMEBODY TO LOVE) but the rest -- ugh!

Anything that remotely offends "our boys" (whether it's real or imagined) always elicits a pile-on from some.
I guess the philosophy for some is when the truth hurts then an attack is in order.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 24, 2013 06:44

Jah Paul
misterfrias
I'm surprised by this Grace Slick pile-on. Her comments regarding "aging rock stars" are far from obnoxious. In fact, I have read several comments by Mick Jagger in various publications from the sixties in which he states that he cannot imagine singing rock & roll after he reaches 30 years of age. A lot of other musicians from that time (i.e., the sixties) shared that same feeling. Anyone recall the line, "Hope I die before I get old"? I guess these aging rock stars get a pass now because they made their comments when they were young (i.e., before they realized that retirement would mean jumping off the gravy train).

That said, I never understood Jefferson Airplane's popularity. Much less the popularity of Jefferson Starship & Starship. A couple of JA songs are decent (WHITE RABBIT, SOMEBODY TO LOVE) but the rest -- ugh!

Anything that remotely offends "our boys" (whether it's real or imagined) always elicits a pile-on from some.

As one who might be considered guilty of the "pile-on" toward Grace Slick, I would like to clarify a bit on my comments posted above, which were not intended as negative toward Grace Slick, as I quite admire her work with the Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship from the 60s through the 80s.

It is Grace herself who has made the most ageist comments toward such aging rockers as The Stones continuing on as they have. It is her ageist attitude that I have been addressing, rather than the fact of her ageing itself.

In other genres of music, female musicians and performers have carried on despite their age. In the folk genre, Mary Travers of Peter, Paul, and Mary continued on through old age as did Etta James in the blues genre, as well as Aretha Franklin in the soul genre, to say nothing of Loretta Lynn in the country genre. But there seems to be this unspoken rule that in rock music one should retire at an early age. Why is that? Is it because the term 'rock n roll' is actually a slang expression for the sex act and thus its music is only suitable to younger people? Why is rock n roll exclusively not allowed for older people, yet every other music genre has no problem with older artists?

The problem is Grace Slick's attitude toward this, not her age. As one of the ultimate rock n roll female voices she should still be out there, but she is apparently too self-conscious and insecure--too obsessive about the physical drawbacks of ageing--to continue on performing with her talents.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 24, 2013 07:32

stonehearted
Jah Paul
misterfrias

As one who might be considered guilty of the "pile-on" toward Grace Slick, I would like to clarify a bit on my comments posted above, which were not intended as negative toward Grace Slick, as I quite admire her work with the Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship from the 60s through the 80s.

It is Grace herself who has made the most ageist comments toward such aging rockers as The Stones continuing on as they have. It is her ageist attitude that I have been addressing, rather than the fact of her ageing itself.

In other genres of music, female musicians and performers have carried on despite their age. In the folk genre, Mary Travers of Peter, Paul, and Mary continued on through old age as did Etta James in the blues genre, as well as Aretha Franklin in the soul genre, to say nothing of Loretta Lynn in the country genre. But there seems to be this unspoken rule that in rock music one should retire at an early age. Why is that? Is it because the term 'rock n roll' is actually a slang expression for the sex act and thus its music is only suitable to younger people? Why is rock n roll exclusively not allowed for older people, yet every other music genre has no problem with older artists?

The problem is Grace Slick's attitude toward this, not her age. As one of the ultimate rock n roll female voices she should still be out there, but she is apparently too self-conscious and insecure--too obsessive about the physical drawbacks of ageing--to continue on performing with her talents.

It's pretty much just her opinion, not some complex sociological statement. With all the old rockers going on well into their 60s and beyond, I think we can safely say the old "rules" you speak of regarding age and rock n roll don't really exist anymore, and Grace's long-standing opinion is really no threat to any band or artist. I first heard her make those comments probably 15 years ago, maybe longer, and I don't recall her singling out anyone by name...except herself!

And that was kind of the point of my comment...she didn't even mention the Stones, yet some folks immediately run to their defense as if it was some horrible personal attack. After all these years and all the jokes about their age, I think the Stones can handle it...and most of their fans can, too.

As for Grace possibly being too self-conscious and insecure to continue, hey, it's her life...she did the rock n roll thing for 25 years and decided to retire - and has stuck to her word. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 24, 2013 10:45

His Majesty
Silver Dagger
His Majesty
I really like her contributions to Marty's song Today from Surrealistic Pillow. Lovely recorder and harmony vocals. cool smiley

Isn't that the song Pennebaker messed up at Monterey and showed Grace when Marty was singing the lead?

It is. grinning smiley

Beautiful version though, ace use of the rare Baldwin electric harpsichord on that. Grace also played it on Two Heads from After Bathing At Baxters.

Always liked Today.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 24, 2013 11:25

JFA had the guts to perform at Altamont.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-24 12:02 by runaway.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 24, 2013 11:47

"it's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have"

Seems to me like music means more to her than just a paycheck. I can see why that pisses some people off, at least on this board.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 24, 2013 14:09

The current debate re. Grace interests me not a whit, what would interest me would be photos of Grace, off her face, at a gig, early days....topless.

Anyone else heard about this, I must have read this years ago & only seen one reference to it....Apparently she was having such a good time she just whipped off her top during the show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 24, 2013 14:40

Dan
"it's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have"

Seems to me like music means more to her than just a paycheck. I can see why that pisses some people off, at least on this board.

It would piss me off if I went to see someone like, oh, for instance, James Taylor, and someone called out for "Fire And Rain" and he said, "I'm sorry, but I don't do that one anyone. I'm no longer a junkie, you see, so I can't relate."

Date: March 24, 2013 20:46

Jah Paul
stonehearted
Jah Paul
misterfrias

It's pretty much just her opinion, not some complex sociological statement. With all the old rockers going on well into their 60s and beyond, I think we can safely say the old "rules" you speak of regarding age and rock n roll don't really exist anymore, and Grace's long-standing opinion is really no threat to any band or artist. I first heard her make those comments probably 15 years ago, maybe longer, and I don't recall her singling out anyone by name...except herself!

And that was kind of the point of my comment...she didn't even mention the Stones, yet some folks immediately run to their defense as if it was some horrible personal attack. After all these years and all the jokes about their age, I think the Stones can handle it...and most of their fans can, too.

As for Grace possibly being too self-conscious and insecure to continue, hey, it's her life...she did the rock n roll thing for 25 years and decided to retire - and has stuck to her word. She doesn't owe anyone anything.

Actually she did single out The Stones by name, which is why Mick responded to her comments in an interview at the start of the Licks tour. She also projects her views onto male rock n rollers in general, saying that she would not want to go to a concert to look at geriatric versions of the men she once felt attracted to when they were younger. The "old rules" I spoke of were something I questioned, rather than defended, in my post. The fact remains that Grace Slick is hyper-age conscious and is obsessed with physical decay. In this regard, she seems to lack substance. I don't feel she really wanted to retire, but instead felt obligated to because of her obsession with the aging process. It's all there in her autobiography.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 24, 2013 20:59

I read a more recent interview with her someplace where she was asked about a Jefferson Airplane reunion, and she said it's just not possible, that she has health issues which prevent her from being on her feet for more than a few minutes at a time.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 24, 2013 22:02

blivet
I read a more recent interview with her someplace where she was asked about a Jefferson Airplane reunion, and she said it's just not possible, that she has health issues which prevent her from being on her feet for more than a few minutes at a time.

That's okay. Paul has lots of resumes from girls who want to "play" Grace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-24 22:04 by tatters.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 25, 2013 03:17

tatters
Dan

It would piss me off if I went to see someone like, oh, for instance, James Taylor, and someone called out for "Fire And Rain" and he said, "I'm sorry, but I don't do that one anyone. I'm no longer a junkie, you see, so I can't relate."

Agree. That's an insult to the people who love and have been touched by his music.
And maybe its different for a performer like Slick. While I always respected her as a strong female artist, I never considered to be someone who 'lived' for her music. It always seemed like music was just another form of artistic, rebellious expression at a time when music became a voice for her generation. James Taylor, or the Stones, Dylan - are true musicians. It wasn't just an experimental phase for them.
I don't see Grace Slick as a musician who lives, breathes music. That's who they are, not just that they do.
So perhaps she just can't relate to that. Would she say that to Carole King, Joni Mitchell or other female peers? They're musicians. She never really was.

Date: March 25, 2013 04:11

Found this from a 2007 interview...

antiMUSIC: I know you've said that all rock stars over 50 should retire but do you not feel periods of just wanting to get behind the mike at least and record?

Grace: No, because if I do something I do it. All of it. In other words, showing up at the galleries, getting on the planes...I don't like it, but that's part of it. If you make a record, you have to do the videos; go on the road to support it; do all the interviews, and I'm not a multi-tasker. Either I'm doing the painting thing, or I'd be doing music. But there's only two forms, one of them's rap and it's not even old enough to have anyone that's old, and the other is rock and roll. And they are young people's things. Now you can do classical music or rhythm and blues till you're 150, but not rock and roll and rap. It pains me to see old people leaping around trying to act like their 25. It's embarrassing. I just think 'Oh, god, honey. You don't have to get out of the music business: become a producer, write songs. But don't leap around and try to look like you're 35.' It's like those women on Hollywood boulevard who are about a million years old and they've got little cinch belts on and their hair beach blond and they're wearing spike heels and a big fancy skirt and you just think 'Oh, Jesus; give it up. You're a million years old and you look like a jerk.' If you're 24 years old and you go back to grammar school and you say 'Hi, can I play jacks with you guys?' - the kids would look at you like 'Oh, Jesus', you know? It is harmless and if the Rolling Stones or Fleetwood Mac or whoever want to get up there and play and people want to see them, that's fine with me. I just don't want to do it. I felt like a jerk doing it when I was in my 40s.

antiMUSIC: I was just going to ask you about Mick and Keith then.

Grace: Well, Keith, now Keith, he can play forever because he's looked like he was about 150 since he was 25 and he's rhythm and blues so he can keep going for ever...Mick, I learned how to be on a rock and roll stage from him. I didn't imitate him. But the only thing at the beginning was, a girlfriend called me up and said, 'Oh you've got to come over because these new guys from Britain are going to be on Ed Sullivan and they're called the Beatles'. And she had this big party about it. And I looked at her, and I thought, 'Here are four guys in their 20s dressed in these cutesy little suits, with cutesy little hair, singing... "I want to hold your hand?', and I'm going, 'I don't think so'. But then I saw the Rolling Stones. That's rock and roll. So how do you behave on the stage? You have to own the stage. If you don't own it, sorry, you're out of the picture, you know? You just can't get up there and play with the side of your pants a little bit and kinda turn your back on the audience and act shy. No no no. That's not rock and roll. So I learned a lot from Keith, but I mean I also learned from Mick Jagger on how to front a rock and roll band.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 25, 2013 05:23

Grace has always been outspoken. She did front a very good band back in the 60's. I saw the Airplane 3 times and they were always great. All of us are guilty of not being very diplomatic with comments sometimes, but our slip ups don't show up in the press. Not saying I agree with Grace regarding age and playing music, but for me she can say what ever she wants. She was a big star years ago, and was a radical counter culture icon of sorts. If you didn't grow up with that scene, it is hard to
explain. The Airplane were a good band in the studio and on stage, and I am happy to have seen them in their prime. As we age, growing old gracefully(no pun intended)is a project we must all eventually confront and deal with. Some do it better than others.

Date: March 25, 2013 07:01

Jah Paul
Found this from a 2007 interview...

antiMUSIC: I know you've said that all rock stars over 50 should retire but do you not feel periods of just wanting to get behind the mike at least and record?

Grace: But there's only two forms, one of them's rap and it's not even old enough to have anyone that's old, and the other is rock and roll. And they are young people's things. Now you can do classical music or rhythm and blues till you're 150, but not rock and roll and rap. It pains me to see old people leaping around trying to act like their 25. It's embarrassing. I just think 'Oh, god, honey. You don't have to get out of the music business: become a producer, write songs. But don't leap around and try to look like you're 35.'

That's OK, they can just leap about like they're 65 -- if they're in shape they can do it. Works for Daltrey and Townshend--and they don't try to look 25 or even 35, they don't even dye their hair.

Rock and roll is the bastard child of rhythm and blues and both forms feature electric guitar, drums, keys, and bass and celebrate songs of drugs and drink, sex, and etcetera, so why is one a young person's form and the other is not? Is it because most young people don't like rhythm and blues? Come to think of it, how is rock n roll a young person's medium? You don't see a whole lot of rock n roll at the top of the charts these days. It seems young people today leave rock n roll to their parents and grandparents.

antiMUSIC: I was just going to ask you about Mick and Keith then.

Grace: Well, Keith, now Keith, he can play forever because he's looked like he was about 150 since he was 25

No, Keith looked like a junkie when he was 25. He's looked "150" only since his 50s.

and he's rhythm and blues so he can keep going for ever...

Oh, I see. He can strut about and pose, just so long as he professes allegiance to the bluesmen, who are allowed to bop till they drop. I guess that means Eric Clapton [and Cream for that matter] is good to go forever as well. Interesting exceptions. If you're a bluesman about your rock stardom, you're good to go.

But Keith is not John Lee Hooker. He's influenced by the blues, but he's a rock player who plays in a rock band. Just ask Charlie. Charlie Watts knows what kind of a band he's drumming in, which is why he maintains a certain kind of beat in a certain kind of way.

Grace needs to stop trying to speak for everyone else--because in so doing, she is trying to cover the fact that she suffers from an age-obsessive complex that causes her to dwell on physical matters, like wrinkles and sags, and how it makes the music of her youth look bad--even improper--to her.

She is not really the counter-culture icon she was made out to be--in fact, she is the direct opposite: an ultra-conservative, a traditionalist. Rock music and dance are for the young folks, and when you get to your 40s you must conform to the traditional rules of how middle-aged people and older are to behave. Not such a "blow against the empire" after all....

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 25, 2013 07:16

>Grace needs to stop trying to speak for everyone else

I believe she was expressing her personal opinion.

Date: March 25, 2013 07:25

filstan
Grace has always been outspoken. She did front a very good band back in the 60's. I saw the Airplane 3 times and they were always great. All of us are guilty of not being very diplomatic with comments sometimes, but our slip ups don't show up in the press. Not saying I agree with Grace regarding age and playing music, but for me she can say what ever she wants. She was a big star years ago, and was a radical counter culture icon of sorts. If you didn't grow up with that scene, it is hard to
explain. The Airplane were a good band in the studio and on stage, and I am happy to have seen them in their prime. As we age, growing old gracefully(no pun intended)is a project we must all eventually confront and deal with. Some do it better than others.

Exactly. She always been outspoken and her opinions are just that - her opinions. They don't need to be dissected and over-analyzed like some academic dissertation on aging, society and rock n roll. It ain't that complicated.

And I especially agree with your last statement on aging...everyone deals with it their own way...there's no script to it.

Date: March 25, 2013 07:34

Glam Descendant

If she says she decides to retire at 50 because she felt like a jerk, then she is speaking for herself. When she says that all rock stars over 50 should retire, as the interviewer above reminds her, then she is attempting to speak for everyone else.

Date: March 25, 2013 07:51

stonehearted
Glam Descendant

If she says she decides to retire at 50 because she felt like a jerk, then she is speaking for herself. When she says that all rock stars over 50 should retire, as the interviewer above reminds her, then she is attempting to speak for everyone else.

She's not attempting to speak for anyone but herself.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 25, 2013 07:54

Jah Paul
stonehearted
Glam Descendant

She's not attempting to speak for anyone but herself.

Thank you.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:29

Age? Tina Turner was still filling arenas and killing it at near 70!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2013 10:47

It is interesting to listen her points. She is coming from a culture where sexism was still pretty much alive, and she has gone through phases some of her contempoary male colleagues do not need to confront.

But there is a female contemporary of hers who I think has grown up rather gracefully and with a dignity. Even though Marianne Faithful might talk sometimes a bit too much of her 60's Golden Age, and with whom she slepth then, she has since the late 70's done a nice career of hers, a kind of model what a pretty iconic face can do when she gets old.

I think Grace Slick also has a point when she is distingishing rock and roll from rhythm and blues. Tnanks to poeople like The Stones that border is vague, and since most of the rock stars today are damn old, the original tension between pop music and blues is not so easily to be seen. But it is there. Rock and roll is a form of pop music, and even though it technically might derive from blues, it belongs to a different category. We don't need to go even to divide the world by the color of people's skin to see the difference.

The blues is adult's music. It is, both musically and lyrically, music made for adult minds. As jazz, it doesn't have any age boundaries, nor need to worry about "getting old". But when the young British guys were inspired by it, as little earlier some of their American colleagues, in their hands it turned to a pop music, and the whole music form get a new function and meaning. Funnily, the blues musical turned out to be a musical foundation for the 60's youth revolution. And more funnily, when that generation grew up, they didn't abondon the soundtrack of their formative years. The result is some sort of interesting experiment how teenager "pop music" can survive. Both the pop stars and their audiences are a part of same experiment of seeing what happens, and there are no prior cases in history.

I think especially the 80's where especially hard times for great - or original -rock and roll generation and rock music generally as it was known from the 60's on. The new generation of pops stars and their young listeners emerged and they distinguish themselves from the past - much more strongly in action than, for example, the punks in the 70's who had a loud voice but making basically just a revolution within the boundaries of traditional rock music - and found a voice of their own. The older acts - as their fans - were kind of lost what's going on, and how to react to the change of times. And the 60'original pop stars - the examples and voices of their generation - themselves were getting into to their middle age, and the infamous Who slogan was still pretty much in their minds. However, this tension or confusion was sort of sorted out when the concept of "classic rock" was born, and the open nostalgia took over and and "legalized" the old teenager music.

The Stones, in many sense, reflect the times wonderfully.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 11:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2013 11:18

BUt it is also interesting and nice to hear how much credit Grace Slick gives to the Stones. How huge and significant their effect was when they hitted America. That sort of relevance is almsot beyond comprehensible in today's world. The attitude, the stage presence, everything "revolutionary" the Stones implicitly or explicitly represented seemingly influenced in many sense more strongly than The Beatles, at least if we look at "right" people (which seemingly pissed Lennon off, as we can read in his famous ROLLING STONE 1970 interview). But be it the Frisco counter revolutionary people like Grace Slick and Jim Morrison, or people like Patti Smith or Iggy Pop from the other coast who were teh creators of original and daring American rock music, they were hugely inspired by the example these British pop stars by setting new rules to pop music market. If it was Dylan who free their minds, it was The Stones who free their bodies.

It is I think for that reason the "hip" people of the times, like Slick, still don't judge the Stones too harshly whatever they do (leave that younger poeple like Robinson). I mean, the way she talks pejoratively about aging rock stars giving a "show" applies too well to the recent Stones, but she refuses to say it frankly. Out of respect I guess. The Stones are - and always be - a beyond criticism because of what they once represented to these people, and how huge impression they then made.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 11:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 25, 2013 12:13

Great posts Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 25, 2013 12:37

"All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire"

Rock and rollers look (and act) stupid at all ages.

That is the reason why I am so authentic when I play the part.

There is no time limit to look and act stupid. It's too much fun to give up to.

C

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 25, 2013 17:49

R, your compassion is overwhelming.

Date: March 25, 2013 18:01

R
Man, Grace is a bitter old hag. Do you think, for a moment, that if there were actually a demand for her appearances she wouldn't be on stage in a heartbeat?

Idiot.

She retired. There was never any drop in demand. Anything with Grace Slick on vocals would do quite well, probably better than painting.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 25, 2013 19:11

Dan
R
Man, Grace is a bitter old hag. Do you think, for a moment, that if there were actually a demand for her appearances she wouldn't be on stage in a heartbeat?

Idiot.

She retired. There was never any drop in demand. Anything with Grace Slick on vocals would do quite well, probably better than painting.

Really? The last time I saw Grace she was in the '80s version of Starship, co-headling with Nightranger in a half full hockey rink. This was about 24-25 years ago which would have made her (surprise) about 50. It was NOT a good look. Not every aging rocker needs to retire - but she sure did. This was in the years before she was answering the cops knock on the door, sh-tfaced drunk, while waving a shotgun around.

Date: March 25, 2013 20:08

R
Dan
R

Idiot.

Really? The last time I saw Grace she was in the '80s version of Starship, co-headling with Nightranger in a half full hockey rink. This was about 24-25 years ago which would have made her (surprise) about 50. It was NOT a good look. Not every aging rocker needs to retire - but she sure did. This was in the years before she was answering the cops knock on the door, sh-tfaced drunk, while waving a shotgun around.

That was 25 years ago and Starship was a band with a serious identity crisis. She could probably bank a few million a year on the casino/county fair/theatre/shed package tour circuit that most other geezer bands play.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 25, 2013 20:54

I think she opted on being LAZY, FAT & white-haired as opposed to staying productive because THAT would take too much effort. She's envious of the bands,like the Stones, who stayed in the game. Look at Mick compared to her! She has to put down the rockers in her generation who are making the effort and doing a good job at drawing crowds, STILL, because she isn't willing to make the sacrifices that are necessary to stay on top. Sour grapes. For the record, I liked her voice back in the day. Saw the Airplane with all original members in the 70's and thought they were great.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home