Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Faces
Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: February 8, 2005 03:26

i had never heard a single song from these guys but i woke up this morning with the itching to buy the new box set that was just released. When i got to the record store it was sold out, so i picked the only faces album they had in stock. Its called Long Player and it is great. i love it. however the liner notes with the album are all in chinese. The only date i get is 1990... i thought the faces were only together in the 60's and 70's... anybody got any info on this?

Re: The Faces
Posted by: ssf466 ()
Date: February 8, 2005 04:38

They broke up in 1975, They are the one of the greatest bands ever, To learn more about them go to www.macspages.com. This is Ian Mclagans website from the Faces and buy the box from him, He will autograph to you.

You got an import I guess from Japan, There best record is being re-released by Audio Fidelity this month on gold disc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-08 04:39 by ssf466.

Posted by: yeti ()
Date: February 8, 2005 06:29

If you like Long Player, be sure to get their other 3 albums: Ooh La La, First Step, and A Nod's As Good As A Wink.....To A Blind Horse (the best one of the four!)
The reason your Long Player copy is dated 1990 is because it's a Japanese re-issue. That album was released in 1971 originally. Rod Stewart's early 70's stuff is basically the Faces too, (Woody and Mac play on most of it).

Date: February 8, 2005 10:52

<Rod Stewart's early 70's stuff is basically the Faces too - Woody and Mac play on most of it>

they also participated in the songwriting process on those albums.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 8, 2005 16:11

I had never listened to the Faces before despite knowing our boy Ronnie wrote most of the music, I just don't like Rod Stewart. But this past Christmas I got the box set and I must say they are great. So many good tunes and great guitar playing by Ronnie. Its ashame that many people think some of these songs are Rod Stewart songs because he sings them. Oh La La is one example. But I must say you can hear the Faces influence in bands today like the Black Crows and White Stripes. Here is a question for Faces fans. The only thing I have from them is the box set and I love it, is there anything else that I am missing from them that I should get. Maybe live stuff or a bootleg that sounds great and catches the band at their best????

Date: February 8, 2005 16:22

'Every Picture Tells A Story' is a must have...
and so is the Box Set. get it from Mac, if you can. Great box of music and Faces lore. Lots of previously unreleased live stuff.

Date: February 8, 2005 17:18

<Its ashame that many people think some of these songs are Rod Stewart songs because he sings them. Oh La La is one example.>

Ronnie sings Ooh La La.

Date: February 8, 2005 17:27

DandelionPowderman, I know Ronnie sings that with the Faces but Rod plays that at his shows and he recorded his own version with himself on vocals. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 8, 2005 18:52

Stupid thing about the box set is that the discs
overlay each other in a fancy arrangement
that can't help but eventually scuff them.
Duh. Bad planning for an otherwise
excellent release.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 8, 2005 20:48

Rod redid Ooh La La on an album (CD) called "When We Were The New Boys" about his Faces days. I always took the song to be more of a tribute to Ronnie Lane than as a cheap shot. They were definitely an influence on the Black Crowes, etc.

Posted by: Jumacfly ()
Date: February 8, 2005 23:19

every Stones/Faces fan must get the "finale faces" with Keith on several tracks, it 's a great dvd you can find anywhere or download

Cheers
JU

Date: February 8, 2005 23:27

JU, so this is an offical release? I will see if I can find it, sounds interesting. Is Keith playing lead on these songs or is he weaving with Ronnie or just playing rythm.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2005 17:12

Rod Stewart was great until 1975 (when he hooked up with Britt Ekland and went all 'Hollywood')

Everything he recorded during his golden years (70 to 75) was for Mercury Records (i think) and has been released officially on a 3CD digipack called "Reason to Believe" (it's the five solo albums + singles, b-sides and outtakes)

Highly recommended

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 9, 2005 17:55

If you like the Stones era from 1968-1981 then you'll love the Faces stuff.

Go and buy some of their stuff and you will be impressed!!!

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 9, 2005 18:56

The Faces box set is actually OVERLY COMPREHENSIVE. There is some dreck on there but at least now we have it all.

I wish Ronnie's playing still had the "character" he showed in the faces era.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2005 19:16

i don't know that we have it 'all'.

i saw a quote saying they were going to see how this box sold before deciding whether to release a lot of live stuff that's in the vaults

Date: February 9, 2005 20:14

I hope they do. Great live band, they put out only one 'official' live album, right? "Snakes and Ladders"? the BBC stuff is very good, in the box set.
btw, if anyone has heard Mac's Bump Band stuff, what do you think?

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: February 9, 2005 20:17

The Faces were indeed a fantastic band. I never got to see them live but I understand that they were excellent, but mixed a lot of alcohol with the performance.

As far as Ronnie's contribution was concerned, he did an excellent job of writing really good tunes - but then he didn't have Jagger/Richards in there to contribute, did he.....?

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 9, 2005 22:35

Snakes & Ladders is a 1976 comp (& farewell) -the official live album, "Coast to Coast Overture & Beginners" is their worst, a big letdown when issued in Dec. 1973 - sloppy & uninspired. Also, it was their first without Ronnie Lane. Tetsu's cool, I'm intersted in his later free jazz projects, but C2C is one of the worst live albums of its era & Faces are one of my all time fave bands. I don't think the box is overcomprehensive, but I'd agree we don't need 3 versions of a couple songs, or the live vocal over pre-recorded "Bad 'n Ruin" - I'd have included "Wicked Messenger" (wicked guitar), "Stone," and a few others - and there's nothing from the last tour, with Jesse Ed Davis on 2nd guitar (Ron & Rod both put "Big Bayou" on their '75 solo albums & did it live). All the studio albums are great, and the box adds another studio album's worth of great stuff (Gettin Hungry, Open To Ideas, The Cheater, Innocence Lost, Skewiff, etc)plus the BBC & live trax...And as Chalawer says, a nice addition to the Faces box is the 2003 Rod 3 cd set "Complete Mercury Studio Recordings 1969 - 74" which also has a great Faces single that came out under Rod's name "Oh No Not My Baby" b/w "Jodie" & a few other rare gems amidst his best ever solo albums(all with Ron W at his best & other Faces playing throughout). The guy singing "Only A Hobo" or "Lady Day" - it's a different animal from the American Songbook RS....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 9, 2005 22:37

Great info, John R, from one Faces fan to another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-09 22:38 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: February 9, 2005 23:16

Thanks John! but I like the 2 versions of 'Maybe I'm Amazed', in the box set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home