Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Garage Rock Vintage Nuggets
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2013 23:26

Silver Dagger
So yeah, garage rock is that great 2 year period between r'n'b and psychedelia - roughly late 64 until late 66. In the UK, garage rock didn't really exist and the r'n'b bands developed a unique sound called freak beat that incorparated the first flourishes of psychedelia. Good examples are The Pretty Things sound on their second album Get The Picture.

This promo includes one of the albums killer cuts Can't Stand The Pain. You can really hear a bit of trippiness coming through.

Get The Picture is my favorite Pretty Things album. From start to finish the album is top notch, and the additional singles they did around that time are equally superb. This was the point where the Pretty Things were rivaling the Stones and Kinks for innovation, musicianship, and songwriting quality--not to mention burgeoning popularity in the UK.

Get The Picture is also notable for featuring future Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell [as Viv Prince was becoming unreliable]. He also played two dozen or so gigs with the band and was briefly considered for the role of permanent drummer. I'm not sure exactly which tracks Mitchell plays on, but you can well spot his drumming style on tracks like Gonna Find Me A Substitute and Get A Buzz.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2013 00:03

The Driving Stupid ---- I'm Gonna Bash Your Brains In

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 23, 2013 00:23

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2013 01:49

The U-Turns --Get Off My Cloud/I'm Down -- The Death Of Garage Rock --- Norton Records EP-131

ROCKMAN

Date: March 25, 2013 21:31

From Boston, Massachusetts, USA, The Remains opened for The Beatles on their final U.S. tour in the summer of 1966.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 25, 2013 22:29

This is all time favourite of mine. From Texas. 1965
It's The Passions with Lively One.

And of course a 15 year old Suzi Quatro ripping it up, also in 1965. A classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 22:34 by andrewt.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 25, 2013 23:30

stonehearted
From Boston, Massachusetts, USA, The Remains opened for The Beatles on their final U.S. tour in the summer of 1966.

the Remains version of "Like A Rolling Stone" really kicks...the singer has Jagger-itis

Date: March 26, 2013 21:35

From Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA, The Barbarians perform their 1964 debut single Hey Little Bird on the T.A.M.I. Show, which also featured the likes of The Rolling Stones, The Supremes, Chuck Berry, James Brown and The Famous Flames, The Miracles, and Marvin Gaye.

Date: March 27, 2013 22:20

From Pueblo, Colorado, USA, The Trolls covered The Stones' Stupid Girl in 1966.

Date: August 7, 2013 01:17

From Athens, Greece, 1966, Devil Girl by The Knacks

Date: August 7, 2013 02:24

Surfing the psychedelic garage with a band from Chicago called The Nickel Bag....

The Woods, 1966

God's Gift, 1968

Date: August 7, 2013 04:06

Surfing the Aussie garage with Newcastle band The Sunsets.

The Sunsets provided soundtrack instrumentals for Paul Witzig's 1966 film A Life In The Sun, after the band met the filmmaker through a mutual friend.

Wind and Sea by The Sunsets

The Sunsets provided the theme song for Witzig's 1967 film The Hot Generation, featured in the clip below of the trailer.

The song The Hot Generation by The Sunsets also appears on the Hot Generation compilation of Down Under 60s punk:

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 7, 2013 11:22

For you consideration from Seattle (actually Tacoma): The Sonics. These guys were way ahead of their time. Springsteen is a fan & I believe Pete Townshend has talked about them. They still play a few gigs every year with mostly original members & still definitely rock hard!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 7, 2013 14:18

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 7, 2013 20:24

The Sonics and the Wailer are incredibly under rated.

Let's not forget our recently deceased Nick Curran who kept it alive.

The Stones version of She Said Yeah! is garage at it's best!

Date: November 3, 2013 22:44

Before The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed was a staff songwriter and studio musician for Pickwick Records. In 1964, his song The Ostrich was released, a parody of period dance songs, with lyrics such as "put your head on the ground and have somebody step on it."

The Primitives were the backing band the producers of the song built behind Reed. The Ostrich was the meeting point of Lou Reed and John Cale.

This song is where Reed's "ostrich tuning" was named, as fellow Primitives Cale and Tony Conrad noticed that Reed tuned all the strings of his guitar to the same note.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 3, 2013 23:06

Garage Rock..........is this art or just bad sounding bands that don't know how to play.............

Date: November 3, 2013 23:23

The B-side of The Ostrich by The Primitives, Sneaky Pete.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 3, 2013 23:27

The Rolling Stones-She Said Yeay

Song Review by Matthew Greenwald

The opening salvo of the Rolling Stones' late-1965 classic December's Children, "She Said Yeah opens the album with a burst of rock energy that can only be described as the birthing of what would be later called punk rock. Furiously scrubbed, distorted electric guitars and a murky atmosphere move the song past the listeners' ears with a truly out-of-control fury. Mick Jagger's frantic vocal renders the lyrics virtually indecipherable in many places, yet the lustful message comes through loud and clear. In a minute and a half, the Rolling Stones define their territory and then burn it to the ground.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 3, 2013 23:57

Count V Yardbirds-styled rave up from about Jan. '66, version by Tom Petty too.

Petty's guitarist really smokes on Psychotic Reaction. There version is great too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-04 00:05 by BroomWagon.

Date: November 4, 2013 00:35

San Fernando Valley, California, native Davie Allan with a later version of his backing band The Arrows doing a melody of the James Bond Theme and Goldfinger, from the 1999 album The Arrow Dynamic Sounds Of.

Davie Allan is an often overlooked pioneer of the "fuzz" sound of electric guitar and played on the soundtracks of numerous teen and biker movies in the 1960s.

In this clip, Davie Allan & The Arrows appear on television performing Moondawg '65.

Date: March 21, 2014 00:34

Formed in El Paso, Texas, in 1962.

Date: March 21, 2014 00:40

It appears that the main guitar riff running through Bobby Fuller's Only When I Dream proved to be an influence on Lou Reed's Vicious.

Date: March 21, 2014 00:43

Bobby Fuller's mysterious death in 1966 has been the subject of speculation, various theories of which are examined in this television piece.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 21, 2014 00:50

runaway
The Sonics are an American Garage rock band from Tacoma Washington, in november 2012 I attended a great live show from The Sonics.

Are you talkin' about their London concert at the Garage? I was there, and it was an amazing concert.

BTW, here's my contribution for this thread: a peruvian band called los Saicos (or The Psychos, in english).

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home