Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones jam (from One Plus One)
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 15, 2013 00:08

There was a lot more than just the speakeasy, a chauffeur could drive him and you give rock biographers and journalists far too much credit.

We are talking about 5 - 10 minutes worth of film where he is not in view. None of us know why he isn't in that scene. He could simply be in the control room.

With respect, all this other stuff is just waffling, wild guessing nonsense.

Why not focus on the music within the scene, take interest that bill is playing acoustic for a bit and that they talk about productions ideas similar to Jumpin' Jack Flash for this work in progress track they are working on.

Those are things we actually can have a clue about because it's all there to be seen and heard.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 15, 2013 00:15

He is shown contributing backing vocals later in the film.

Date: March 15, 2013 01:01

This scene appears after that.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 15, 2013 01:05

His Majesty
There was a lot more than just the speakeasy, a chauffeur could drive him and you give rock biographers and journalists far too much credit.

We are talking about 5 - 10 minutes worth of film where he is not in view. None of us know why he isn't in that scene. He could simply be in the control room.

Why not focus on the music within the scene, take interest that bill is playing acoustic for a bit and that they talk about productions ideas similar to Jumpin' Jack Flash for this work in progress track they are working on.

Those are things we actually can have a clue about because it's all there to be seen and heard.

smiling smiley

I don't give the music journalists and biographers any credit actually, because like you and I they were not there.

I just go on the assumption that the Beggar's Banquet sessions was the point where Brian was becoming less and less of a creative musical factor in the music The Stones made, and I think it bothered him a great deal. Unlike on previous albums, he was not given the chance to shine, to have his unique musical gift appear as the centerpiece of a given track, with the notable exception of No Expectations.

By the way, I enjoy my waffling with a heaping helping of syrup for the sweetness.grinning smiley

Date: March 15, 2013 01:18

All very good, but this guess work takes you to the same place where you started, none the wiser, for you still don't know why he isn't in this 10 minute scene.

The reason doesn't have to be a heavy one. smiling smiley

He missed Sessions for all albums from 1965 - 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-15 01:38 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: March 15, 2013 13:16

I'm just thinking, if Brian did not even show up to this particular session for whatever reason when Jean-Luc Godard is in the studio shooting a film of the sessions, he probably didn't show up to a lot of sessions at all.
Is he playing any guitar on Beggars Banquet except from the slide on No Expectations? Brians contributions at this time probably didn't required a lot of time in the studio.

Date: March 15, 2013 14:16

DiscoVolante
I'm just thinking, if Brian did not even show up to this particular session for whatever reason when Jean-Luc Godard is in the studio shooting a film of the sessions, he probably didn't show up to a lot of sessions at all.
Is he playing any guitar on Beggars Banquet except from the slide on No Expectations? Brians contributions at this time probably didn't required a lot of time in the studio.

That's his only guitar contribution on the album, but he plays guitar on other recordings from the same sessions. He was there for some of the basic backing track recordings which it seems always took ages to do because they went through so many ways of playing things.

PS: all we know is he isn't visible in the scene, he might be in the control room, in the toilet, eating elsewhere etc etc. His lady of the time is in the scene tapping the top of a piano, so a possible suggestion Brian was there before, during or after the 10 minutes of film we see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-15 14:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 15, 2013 14:28

Heres what I think is the only thing he could have done at this point. Mick "lured" him in the start of 1968 that he'd have more input on Beggars. Clearly he and Keith were busy reinventing themselves and doing a good job. The Anita thing never healed of course and neither did the definite and final shift in power during 1968.

This means that Brian had one option left and that was to find a "manager" or something close to that for himself. Stay in the band and accept that the only thing left within the band was to recreate himself imagewise, have a fight with Keith over Anita (impossible of course) and just focus on returning as a blues pioneer and adding slide and harp on the songs. And accept that he had lost the war. Reinventing yourself is the key in showbiz and if youre on your own and already lost then youll need help to do that.

Keith reinvented himself with Anita and the busts. That happens to be the very thing that destroyed Brian Jones.

He could have emerged as a new Brian, done some interviews about the horrible 1967, get in better shape and, if easier, go to the studio with just Mick and focus on slide and harp etc. Build a new platform. I understand that must have been hard given the tone and attitude in the studio and in this band.

Espacially when they brought in others to the studio, some who gave witness of the treatmeant of Brian. I mean, lets be honest, Brian Jones with all his faults is not the only Stone or studio musician, or producer who has little good to say about their time in the band. The Jagger/Richards show is what keeps them rolling but it doesnt mean they're great people.

Date: March 15, 2013 14:43

And of course they would have had to bring in Taylor in 1969. So no, I think Brian was smart and a bit too clever and knew there were no options left.

Date: March 15, 2013 14:48

stonehearted

The Beggar's Banquet sessions were done usually from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., so courts would not have been in session during those hours, but I get your point, at least I think I do, that he may have had too much weighing on his mind to concentrate on music.

But I think there might have been one or two other factors. If I were to place myself in Brian's position, I could immediately think of two things that would make me lose interest in showing up for sessions with the enthusiasm that one's presence would have required to be productive. First, Brian was the founder member. Listen to Bill Wyman, he'll tell you. He formed the band, he named it. Before they were under professional management, it was Brian writing the letters to get them auditions and phoning clubs to get them gigs. And Brian was a significant contributing musical force in the early days: that groundbreaking electric slide on I Wanna Be Your Man, and that hypnotic hook running through their first #1 song Little Red Rooster--would LRR have been #1 without that slide guitar? Perhaps not. Then his distinguishing presence on such tracks as Lady Jane, Paint It Black, and Ruby Tuesday. But by the time of Beggar's Banquet, his adventurous ideas are no longer being accepted and he is being reduced to merely being told what to play and how much and when. He is not making music any longer; instead, he is merely taking musical direction. Such a role is OK if you are Bill Wyman or Charlie Watts, but not if you are Brian Jones.

Another factor is Anita. Even Brian's parents knew that Anita was the only woman he ever really loved. And to have had your fellow bandmate and guitar foil having run off with her was bad enough, but if you watch toward the end of the film when they are doing the SFTD vocal overdubs, the "Hoo-Hoo", you see Anita there as one of the contributing backing vocalists. It might have made it easier for Brian to have been present if she had not been there in the studio, as an extra reminder that he could not escape the painful reminder of her presence even in the fraternal confines of the recording studio.

I believe these were the main reasons why, by 1968, Brian's heart was no longer in what had become Mick and Keith's Rolling Stones.

Spot on.

Date: March 15, 2013 15:00

tonterapi
stonehearted
But by the time of Beggar's Banquet, his adventurous ideas are no longer being accepted and he is being reduced to merely being told what to play and how much and when. He is not making music any longer; instead, he is merely taking musical direction. Such a role is OK if you are Bill Wyman or Charlie Watts, but not if you are Brian Jones.
This is true and something that is very overlooked when talking abput Brian. The new order. No more "arranged by the Rolling Stones". AFAIK Brian had been managed to stay pretty clean from drugs during the first half of 68 and was very exciting about JJF. He is supposed to have liked the new direction but lost interest when he discovered the new order in the studio and that his musical ideas were ignored.

Also spot on.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 15, 2013 15:15

stonehearted
His Majesty

smiling smiley

I don't give the music journalists and biographers any credit actually, because like you and I they were not there.

I just go on the assumption that the Beggar's Banquet sessions was the point where Brian was becoming less and less of a creative musical factor in the music The Stones made, and I think it bothered him a great deal. Unlike on previous albums, he was not given the chance to shine, to have his unique musical gift appear as the centerpiece of a given track, with the notable exception of No Expectations.

By the way, I enjoy my waffling with a heaping helping of syrup for the sweetness.grinning smiley

Well, I certainly hope the waffling happens with Canadian maple syrup!! grinning smiley

Date: March 15, 2013 15:26

Cocaine Eyes
stonehearted
His Majesty

smiling smiley

Well, I certainly hope the waffling happens with Canadian maple syrup!! grinning smiley

Waffling with Strawberry jam AND norwegian brown goat cheese is the way to go! winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 16, 2013 01:15

Cocaine Eyes
stonehearted
His Majesty

smiling smiley

Actually, I've been taking such things with a bit of raw agave nectar lately, which is a different taste altogether and takes some getting used to, but I suppose you're right--Canadian trees for maple syrup can't be beat, because the land up north is cleaner, and thus the syrup is more pure.

I have Canadian roots myself. My father's side of the family is from Sherbrooke, just outside Montreal, so I grew up with an affinity for such things as vinegar on French fries, which I still enjoy from time to time, and I learned to swear in French at around the same age I learned to swear in English.

By the way CE, I meant to thank you for the kind words above, and I'm quite flattered that you would have considered me a Stones insider--perhaps in some alternate universe, I am!smoking smiley

Date: March 16, 2013 02:07

Your long specualation and assumptions about 10 minutes of film is a sure sign you are not an insider. grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 16, 2013 16:37

What about Brian's contributions to 'Satanic Majesties?' I ask out of curiosity, trying to learn more in general about his musical and creative abilities, role in Stones' music and production, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-16 16:44 by nightskyman.

Date: March 16, 2013 16:46

nightskyman
What about Brian's contributions to 'Satanic Majesties?' I ask out of curiousity, trying to learn more in general about is musical and creative abilities, role in Stones' music and production, etc.

He's on 8 out of the 10 tracks on Their Satanic Majesties Request. He doesn't play on 2000 Man and it's not certain if he played on Citadel as Nicky Hopkins played the mellotron on the basic backing track.

The instruments he played of which we can be as certain as possible about and appear on the released album are:

Mellotron, organ, electric dulcimer

This is due to the Satanic Sessions box sets in which you hear ongoing sessions and it's really obvious who's playing what due to the discussions inbetween takes.

Some idiot keeps changing the wikipedia page about the album and making it look like Brian played the entire universe of instruments. eye rolling smiley

Sing This All Together
Mellotron

Citadel
Possible mellotron and/or soprano saxophone and flute overdubs

In Another Land
Mellotron

2000 Man
Nothing

Sing This All Together (See What Happens)
Mellotron(Keith plays the mellotron flute intro though)

She's a Rainbow
Mellotron

The Lantern
Hammond Organ

Gomper
Electric dulcimer, possibly recorder

2000 Light Years from Home
Mellotron

On with the Show
Mellotron

He's shown playing tamboura during a satanic session and he played soprano saxophone on Dandelion, Mellotron on We Love You.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-16 16:59 by His Majesty.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 16, 2013 17:05

His Majesty
nightskyman
What about Brian's contributions to 'Satanic Majesties?' I ask out of curiousity, trying to learn more in general about is musical and creative abilities, role in Stones' music and production, etc.

He's on 8 out of the 10 tracks on Their Satanic Majesties Request. He doesn't play on 2000 Man and it's not certain if he played on Citadel as Nicky Hopkins played the mellotron on the basic backing track.

The instruments he played of which we can be as certain as possible about and appear on the released album are:

Mellotron, organ, electric dulcimer

This is due to the Satanic Sessions box sets in which you hear ongoing sessions and it's really obvious who's playing what due to the discussions inbetween takes.

Some idiot keeps changing the wikipedia page about the album and making it look like Brian played the entire universe of instruments. eye rolling smiley

Sing This All Together
Mellotron

Citadel
Possible mellotron and/or soprano saxophone and flute overdubs

In Another Land
Mellotron

2000 Man
Nothing

Sing This All Together (See What Happens)
Mellotron(Keith plays the mellotron flute intro though)

She's a Rainbow
Mellotron

The Lantern
Hammond Organ

Gomper
Electric dulcimer, possibly recorder

2000 Light Years from Home
Mellotron

On with the Show
Mellotron

He's shown playing tamboura during a satanic session and he played soprano saxophone on Dandelion, Mellotron on We Love You.

Wow, very detailed response. I'd be interested in getting that box set.
So it's basically Keith on guitars?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home