Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Richard Thompson at The Lowry, Salford. Sunday 10th March 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 11, 2013 12:19

Hello,

This was an absolute blast of a two-hour show, and a fine way to temper the post-Wilko comedown: it was the last date of their UK tour and there was a ton of fun onstage. I kid you not- if ever the music thing doesn't work out for RT then he can have a career in comedy. His asides and interaction with the audience (including a heckler, bizarrely...I mean who pays £30 to come and give an artist grief?) were gold.

He had the perfect power-trio (his words, not mine...he reckoned they were louder than Peter, Paul & Mary, hah-hah!) with Taras Prodaniuk on bass and Michael Jerome on drums. It is ridiculous just how fine a guitarist RT is...shows like this should be made compulsory.

The Lowry has the world's most stringent anti-camera policy and it is policed by seniors: it makes it all the worse being ticked-off by a white haired OAP, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Richard Thompson at The Lowry, Salford. Sunday 10th March 2013
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 11, 2013 12:36

Blimey - you do get about Simon. Sorry I missed him. Saw him with Linda Thompson at Oxford Poly in 75 which was recorded for an album. Can you recommend any recent albums by him as I've not heard any for a long time?

Date: March 11, 2013 12:40

Richard has a great new album out now thumbs up

Date: March 11, 2013 12:50

Hi Mike & DP,

The only stuff by RT that I have is [www.amazon.co.uk] and this [www.amazon.co.uk]

DP is dead-right...I will be getting his latest LP [www.amazon.co.uk]

Right, that's enough plugs for Amazon, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 11, 2013 19:36

RT rocks! One of the best and sadly underrated guitarists. Saw him in the Georgia Theater, before it burned down about 15 years ago. Sadly he hasn't made it to my new home in Salt Lake City.

T@3

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 11, 2013 21:01

Saw him in Basingstoke a few days ago and he was (as always) truly incredible.
One of the many highlights was his cover of"Hey Joe".

I recorded the show and it's over at dimeadozen to download.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 11, 2013 21:33

Richard Thompson is one of the all-time greats---
have had the good fortune to see him perform about a dozen times over the last 25 years and he never disappoints-- whether he plays solo acoustic or with a full electric band he is always top shelf--go see him if he comes to your area
and his new album, "Electric" is a blast

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 11, 2013 22:44

I'm a huge fan of RT, and have, apart from First Light and Sunnyvista, all his albums.

I also seek him out as a guest on albums, such as Rogues Gallery and the Crossing Jordan soundtrack - his version of Donovan's Season of The Witch is extraordinarily brilliant.

The thing with RT is that, as a guitarist, he wasn't blues copyist, and his influences range from James Burton through to Ceilidh bands. He was also, via Cajun Woman, one of the first musicians to introduce Cajun and Zydeco music to British audiences. RT also has written some amazing tunes, such as Tear Stained Letter, Dimming of The Day, From Galway to Graceland, Sam Jones, and I could go on. Put It There, Pal is an excellent track and one of my favourites.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 11, 2013 22:47

Excellent! 'I want to see the bright lights tonight'

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 11, 2013 23:07

I've seen Richard Thompson more times than any other artist after the Stones and I even attended his Frets and Refrains guitar and song writing camp last summer. If you have never seen him perform, I urge you to do so. His now album 'Electric' is really cool by the way!

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: March 18, 2013 17:35

In my opinion, Richard Thompson is one of the best guitar players on this planet. If he plays acoustic or electric, it really doesn't matter, he's equally good at both of them, and to make that very clear, on the highest of levels. His new album, "Electric" is wonderful. There are so many great tunes on it, one wonders how he can manage to write great material year after year. I cannot see or hear any signs of diminished abilities. I don't know if RT has ever been playing in Switzerland. But if, one day, he comes to this country, I will certainly be there! That's for sure!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 20:07

I have never seen Richard, but have seen his son, Teddy, who plays regularly around NYC. Has a kind of 'Buddy Holly' feel to some of his music - worth seeing.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 25, 2013 01:04

I don't know his work and if I'm honest it could be beause I heard he was very relegeious and I always feel uncomfortable with someone mentioning their religeon in music that I might buy,I am not too happy with even artists I admire like Dylan and Dion to mention but 2.
Nothing against them being religeous just don't like it mentioned in music.
Just a personal thing so you can agree or disagree I won't mind or change my opinion either.
Having got that off my chest,I noticed that there is a Richard Thompson concert on BBC4 tonight/tomorrow morning 12.30 AM UK time .
I have decided to record it on SKY+ and have a listen later to see what the fuss is all about with this guy,is what,I will find out for myself this way.
So if anyone else wanted to know more about him you can have a listen too

Posted by: jimharper666 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 16:35

Adotulipson: Hello!

I too share your feelings about a musician's religious stance.

Richard Thompson has been religious at various points in his life; he was a Sufi for several years and says he 'dips' into it again periodically, when he feels it's necessary. He's not a full-time religious person, if you see what I mean. Anyway, to the basic point: aside from a couple of songs on 'Pour Down Like Silver', for the most part he keeps his personal religion and his music fairly separated. When religion does enter his songs, it's either just as a basic concept- like the tracks 'God Loves A Drunk'- or in tracks like 'Jerusalem On The Jukebox', where he's openly critical of prophets on cable stations making millions.

But for the most part he never mentions religion, and rarely discusses his own feelings outside of interviews.

The show on BBC4 isn't as good as it could have been. If you check out an album, go for either 'Electric' (his latest one) or his most successful one, 'Rumor & Sigh'.

Aside from Keith, RT is my favourite guitarist. He's not for everyone, but he's worth checking out.

Date: March 26, 2013 16:47

Hello,

I ain't seen the BBC4 show yet, but I'm enjoying 'Electric' an awful lot and 'Live From Austin Tx' has just arrived. I'm all RT'd up!

I may well be a dullard but I haven't noticed an overtly religious aspect to his work...what little I know of it. '1952 Vincent Black Lightning' is still wonderful!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 26, 2013 17:11

SimonN
Hello,

I ain't seen the BBC4 show yet, but I'm enjoying 'Electric' an awful lot and 'Live From Austin Tx' has just arrived. I'm all RT'd up!

I may well be a dullard but I haven't noticed an overtly religious aspect to his work...what little I know of it. '1952 Vincent Black Lightning' is still wonderful!

Cheers,

Simon.

Outside of The Inside is a pretty lethal critique of fundamentalism. It's on The Old Kit Bag album.

Date: March 26, 2013 17:15

tomcasagranda
SimonN
Hello,
Cheers,
Simon.
Outside of The Inside is a pretty lethal critique of fundamentalism. It's on The Old Kit Bag album.

Hi Tom,

Well that's confirmed that I am indeed a dullard, albeit one who hasn't heard that gem!
I @#$%& love music: there's always more to discover...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 26, 2013 18:06

adotulipson
I don't know his work and if I'm honest it could be beause I heard he was very relegeious and I always feel uncomfortable with someone mentioning their religeon in music....

Not sure where you heard this but I have seen him 25 + plus times and he has never, ever mentioned his religion on stage. If he mentions religion at all it's in a song, and then it is along the lines of social commentary, not adovcation. So set aside your preconceived notions and go and see the man!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home