Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What is the best sounding & most complete 1972 "Philadelphia Special" release
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 6, 2013 00:55

I'm interested to know which is the best source for the Philadelphia 1972 soundboard recordings.

I'm looking for the best sounding (lowest gen, preferably raw, untampered) and also the most complete.

Any information, opinions etc. appreciated.

Re: What is the best sounding & most complete 1972 "Philadelphia Special" release
Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: March 6, 2013 01:04

Re: What is the best sounding & most complete 1972 "Philadelphia Special" release
Date: March 6, 2013 18:56

any other suggestions?
Is the one above the one that everyone would pick?

Cheers.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 6, 2013 21:08

Silkcut upped a vinyl recording that was the best version available. It was missing some tracks, so you complete it with Plug In Flush Out and you have the best version out there...I'll have to look up the lp silkcut upped in the first place for a name...

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 6, 2013 21:08

The 7 cd boxset The Rolling Stones touring party from Dandelion (or was it already Rattle Snake?) You get all the PS recordings plus the other soundboards from 72, like N.Y. and Fort Worth.

Date: March 6, 2013 21:15

Munichhilton
Silkcut upped a vinyl recording that was the best version available. It was missing some tracks, so you complete it with Plug In Flush Out and you have the best version out there...I'll have to look up the lp silkcut upped in the first place for a name...

Ahh, I grabbed that one from Hunger City. Thanks for the info.

Date: March 6, 2013 21:41

GJV
The 7 cd boxset The Rolling Stones touring party from Dandelion (or was it already Rattle Snake?) You get all the PS recordings plus the other soundboards from 72, like N.Y. and Fort Worth.

Nice box but lesser quality
Where the hell is midnrambler when you need him!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 7, 2013 00:01

I would go for both 2CD's Philadelphia Special 1 and 2 from Swingin' Pig, published 1980.
TSP-CD-050-2
TSP-CD-060-2

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 7, 2013 00:50

vudicus
I'm interested to know which is the best source for the Philadelphia 1972 soundboard recordings.

I'm looking for the best sounding (lowest gen, preferably raw, untampered) and also the most complete.

Any information, opinions etc. appreciated.

great thread!
ice got the 72 tour boot that has zillions of gigs which is great, it does need pruning into a concise 2-3hr playlist so am looking forward to reading more on here, esp with the lowest gen/best sounding para request smiling smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 7, 2013 01:47

I always had the impression that some boots had slightly better sound quali than the famous early Swinging Pig Ph.Special 1+2. There've been a few records which had parts of Philly like "Keep your motor running","Wingless Angles", etc.
Wingless Angels' sound was good too. But it would still be great to have those very nice recordings in official release quality.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 7, 2013 11:33

This is the ultimate proff of Rolling Stones once being the Greatest band in the Galaxy in 1972 (and 1973). Every single note. Spheric.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 7, 2013 11:48

Gimme Shelter never had a better opening live.
Midnight rambler never sounded better, never ever. And I love many versions including the vastly underrated studio version.

Happy is the best version or the second best after Wembley 1973. Tumblin Dice was better in 1973 but thats splittin hairs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 7, 2013 12:42

Munichhilton
GJV

Not lesser quality: all recordings where collected from the best sources available, like VGP's Plug in Plug Out.

This box to date is still the best option if you want to have everything that is available in the best quality. Of course, you would still need Keep Your Motor Running, VGP 043, and Pittsburgh to have everything.

Mathijs

Date: March 7, 2013 16:39

Mathijs
Munichhilton
GJV

Not lesser quality: all recordings where collected from the best sources available, like VGP's Plug in Plug Out.

This box to date is still the best option if you want to have everything that is available in the best quality. Of course, you would still need Keep Your Motor Running, VGP 043, and Pittsburgh to have everything.

Mathijs

Not sure I can believe that coming from a Charlie Sexton hater...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 7, 2013 18:28

Munichhilton
Mathijs
Munichhilton
GJV

Mathijs

Not sure I can believe that coming from a Charlie Sexton hater...

Wot? Me?

He?

Mathijs

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 7, 2013 18:37

Mathijs
Munichhilton
GJV

Mathijs

What's on Keep Your Motor Running that isn't on the 7-disc Rattlesnake box (which I have)?

Date: March 7, 2013 18:38

andrewm
Mathijs
Munichhilton
GJV

Mathijs

What's on Keep Your Motor Running that isn't on the 7-disc Rattlesnake box (which I have)?

Those are the mixed versions that were apparently due to be an LP at some point...

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 8, 2013 00:53

Ah, right, got it, thanks.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:36

The 1972 soundboards I find confusing; different titles, different labels...etc

I have 'Keep your Motor Running' (the MORPH 45 Issue), also 'You Can't do that Baby'.

I hope to get 'Philadelphia Special', TSP has two volumes, but SODD has one. I wonder, is SODD better sound quality that TSP versions?

'Keep Your Motor Running' in some reviews is the 'Ladies & Gents' movie soundtrack, yet 'You Can't do that baby' is also supposedly the soundtrack; yet, the versions I have sound quite different to each other!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2015 19:20

For Philadelphia 1972 I recall that these were the best sources:

POST : SB ; Philadelphia 07-21-1972 1st Show FLAC-ZIP Files

[www.iorr.org]

POST : SB ; Philadelphia 07-21-1972 2nd Show FLAC-ZIP Files

[www.iorr.org]

Those were uploaded by the great UrbanSteel in 2007 already, received little attention at the time, but when I had the time to compare these to various boots (and my collection of Philadelphia 1972 tour recordings is huge!) I came to the conclusion that UrbanSteel's uploads were not dubbed from boots, but from original, UNDOCTORED tapes with a great, warm analog sound quality.

Unfortunately, I lost his uploads in a harddrive crash and was unable to find them anywhere since then. Of course, his original upload links are no longer available.

So if anybody still has UrbanSteel's uploads anywhee, I would be extremely grateful if they could be uploaded again - for the benefit of all of us who are desperately looking for the best available sources of the Philadelphia 1972 shows.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 23, 2015 19:38

Rolling Hansie
I would go for both 2CD's Philadelphia Special 1 and 2 from Swingin' Pig, published 1980.

I wouldn't (and I own both). These boots are very old therefore dated for sure. Plus they used the "No Noise" cleaning sofware in excess (no highs muddy sound just like on their "Welcome To NY" cd.

Lastly you're not sure the music on the TSP titles runs at the right speed so I'd go with a "recent" VGP release or a vinyl rip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 19:44 by dcba.

Date: July 23, 2015 22:21

dcba
Rolling Hansie

I wouldn't (and I own both). These boots are very old therefore dated for sure. Plus they used the "No Noise" cleaning sofware in excess (no highs muddy sound just like on their "Welcome To NY" cd.

Lastly you're not sure the music on the TSP titles runs at the right speed so I'd go with a "recent" VGP release or a vinyl rip.

VGP, SODD and other "modern" "Philadelphia Special" releases sound shrill, metallic and more or less lifeless. They may not have used "No Noise", but other studio processing tactics with less than satisfactory results.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:42

alimente
For Philadelphia 1972 I recall that these were the best sources:

POST : SB ; Philadelphia 07-21-1972 1st Show FLAC-ZIP Files

[www.iorr.org]

POST : SB ; Philadelphia 07-21-1972 2nd Show FLAC-ZIP Files

[www.iorr.org]

Those were uploaded by the great UrbanSteel in 2007 already, received little attention at the time, but when I had the time to compare these to various boots (and my collection of Philadelphia 1972 tour recordings is huge!) I came to the conclusion that UrbanSteel's uploads were not dubbed from boots, but from original, UNDOCTORED tapes with a great, warm analog sound quality.

Unfortunately, I lost his uploads in a harddrive crash and was unable to find them anywhere since then. Of course, his original upload links are no longer available.

So if anybody still has UrbanSteel's uploads anywhee, I would be extremely grateful if they could be uploaded again - for the benefit of all of us who are desperately looking for the best available sources of the Philadelphia 1972 shows.

Yes, I agree it would be great to have these reloaded. Thanks!

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:42

Alimente, it is indeed possible that Urban Steel had access to a very low generation analogue dub of these recordings,which I first heard about during summer '75. Back then I was heavily into recording live concerts and trading tapes with other collectors. (I almost met Mike Millard, but that's something for another post). Anyway, among the constellation revolving around The Stones were one or two solvent individuals who acquired (for $250 each per tape) a selection of previously unreleased Stones recordings, taken directly from the master reels. These three Maxell UD C90s, offered by someone close to Atlantic Records, consisted of two 80 minute recordings of Fort Worth and Philly '72, plus a third 80 minute tape of out takes and backing tracks, including the infamous "Andrew's Blues". I managed to obtain copies off the Maxells. However, they were made on Scotch 206/207 reels, with "backcoating". This type of tape, along with a similar "backcoated" version made by Ampex, was highly susceptible to sticking together. So, now the only surviving copies are ones I gave to friends, which would mean they're a generation higher. However, I do know of one collector who had a copy dubbed on Maxell reels, which possibly survives to this day. In conclusion, Alimente, I am as passionate as you are about acquiring the most natural sounding, lowest generations of these vital Stones recordings. I salute you in your efforts and thank you for posting a topic that has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Dave.

Date: July 24, 2015 02:55

riffcliche69
Alimente, it is indeed possible that Urban Steel had access to a very low generation analogue dub of these recordings,which I first heard about during summer '75. Back then I was heavily into recording live concerts and trading tapes with other collectors. (I almost met Mike Millard, but that's something for another post). Anyway, among the constellation revolving around The Stones were one or two solvent individuals who acquired (for $250 each per tape) a selection of previously unreleased Stones recordings, taken directly from the master reels. These three Maxell UD C90s, offered by someone close to Atlantic Records, consisted of two 80 minute recordings of Fort Worth and Philly '72, plus a third 80 minute tape of out takes and backing tracks, including the infamous "Andrew's Blues". I managed to obtain copies off the Maxells. However, they were made on Scotch 206/207 reels, with "backcoating". This type of tape, along with a similar "backcoated" version made by Ampex, was highly susceptible to sticking together. So, now the only surviving copies are ones I gave to friends, which would mean they're a generation higher. However, I do know of one collector who had a copy dubbed on Maxell reels, which possibly survives to this day. In conclusion, Alimente, I am as passionate as you are about acquiring the most natural sounding, lowest generations of these vital Stones recordings. I salute you in your efforts and thank you for posting a topic that has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Dave.

Now that's very interesting indeed. I recall that the guy who was behind Swingin' Pig first had two C90 cassette tapes worth of Ft. Worth and Philly '72 and later 2 reel-to-reel tapes of the same material. The "Great Lost Live Album" TSP vinyl only release (1982 or 1983) and the first "Philadelphia Special" vinyl only album from the mid-80's, were made from the cassette tapes and are regarded as the best incarnation of this material (of course incomplete) in some circles while the later "Philadelphia Special Vol. 1 & 2" CD and vinyl releases were produced from the reel tapes. I guess that these cassette tapes I mentioned were even lower generation dubs from the tapes you mentioned than the reel tapes.

Later releases of this material on various labels, including VGP, I found rather disappointing. They always sounded "processed" to me. These labels obviously had access to worser generation tapes only or simply dubbed the Pig CDs and EQ'ed them to make them sound brighter, but the results were more or less unnatural sounding.

That's where UrbanSteels uploads came into play. I downloaded his stuff, but at first never really listened closely, thinking it would be just another dub from the available bootleg CDs and Vinyls! How wrong I was occured to me no less than two or three years later, and shortly afterwards one of my harddrives where I stored "not so important stuff" - consequently without a safety copy - crashed! Shit happens, but in this case it really hurt...

Finally, I think the outtakes & backing tracks tape you mentioned was the one that had, besides Andrew's Blues, instrumental versions of Mother's Little Helper, Ruby Tuesday, Lady Jane, Let's Spend The Night Together and so on... is that the one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 03:17 by alimente.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:33

I recently made a proposal to the "from the vaults series" people and the Stones to release the "lost Live Album" from master tapes I have or from what the Stones may have. I also want to include Stevie Wonder's performance as originally planned. Also to have the planned original cover. I have also offered them very rare concert footage that me and an associate have from the 72 tour from Philadelphia & Pittsburgh with sound that fans have never seen (or has not been circulated as far as I know) to go as a bonus DVD along with a couple other oddities.
I would love feed back about peoples thoughts on this idea and any other ideas of what else should be included in the package. All I can say now is they have the proposal and they are thinking about it.. I am awaiting their reply.

Retongue sticking out smileyhiladelphia & Pittsburgh unreleased live L.P
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:35

I recently made a proposal to the "from the vaults series" people and the Stones to release the "lost Live Album" from master tapes I have or from what the Stones may have. I also want to include Stevie Wonder's performance as originally planned. Also to have the planned original cover. I have also offered them very rare concert footage that me and an associate have from the 72 tour from Philadelphia & Pittsburgh with sound that fans have never seen (or has not been circulated as far as I know) to go as a bonus DVD along with a couple other oddities.
I would love feed back about peoples thoughts on this idea and any other ideas of what else should be included in the package. All I can say now is they have the proposal and they are thinking about it.. I am awaiting their reply.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: July 24, 2015 05:40

Can anyone breakdown the various releases from Vinyl through the newest ones and tell us which do NOT have the No Noise treatment?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: Retongue sticking out smileyhiladelphia & Pittsburgh unreleased live L.P
Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:08

VideoJames

Great!
Do you hove some technical information for us?
1. Are your master tapes stereo mixdowns's or multi-track tapes?
2. Is the concert footage 16mm film or videotape?
3. Which songs are filmed? And are they complete or snippets?

Re: Retongue sticking out smileyhiladelphia & Pittsburgh unreleased live L.P
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:43

VideoJames

I would love feed back about peoples thoughts on this idea and any other ideas of what else should be included in the package.

That's mouth-watering! Please get in touch with Ethan Russell and Jim Marshall's estate for the artwork!

So you have all three Philie shows in pro-SB plus Pittsburg? Do you also have the 4 NYC gigs?

Have you checekd the vaults to see if some reels dated "1972-06-23" exist? These are the pre-L&G texan rehearsals. They were (partly) bootlegged in the early 90's. You might have some gems on those reels, enough to make an extra CD that would display the "loose" Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 11:48 by dcba.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home