Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Retongue sticking out smileyhiladelphia & Pittsburgh unreleased live L.P
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 26, 2015 18:13

VideoJames
I recently made a proposal to the "from the vaults series" people and the Stones to release the "lost Live Album" from master tapes I have or from what the Stones may have. I also want to include Stevie Wonder's performance as originally planned. Also to have the planned original cover. I have also offered them very rare concert footage that me and an associate have from the 72 tour from Philadelphia & Pittsburgh with sound that fans have never seen (or has not been circulated as far as I know) to go as a bonus DVD along with a couple other oddities.
I would love feed back about peoples thoughts on this idea and any other ideas of what else should be included in the package. All I can say now is they have the proposal and they are thinking about it.. I am awaiting their reply.

Now that's what I call a proper 'From The Vaults' release, VideoJames! Would definitely buy your proposed package. My first ever Stones booteg was 'Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly, which is supposedly taken from the abandoned 1972 live album - I would love to hear a professionally mixed complete 1972. And of course, unseen/unheard footage from the tour would be the icing on the cake.

Could you include Rocks Off from Ladies & Gents on the DVD? MJ mentioned it when he was doing the PR for L&G.

Does a more complete video recording of the MSG show exist, apart from Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-26 18:29 by Father Ted.

Re: What is the best sounding & most complete 1972 "Philadelphia Special" release
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:25

There is definitely more film footage of the MSG show used on Dick Cavett. They used some of it for the bumpers between commercial breaks. Not sure if the raw footage still exists, or if there was actual sound on what they used either.

Has anyone checked the circulating audios for the Ft. Worth versions of Rocks Off? Jagger dismissed including it because the vocals were out of tune or something. Was that not the song they were playing before the infamous "a few hearts broken, a few strings busted.... Between friends.." line came? I'm curious if there are any noticeable flaws on the existing recordings we have.

I've also heard/read that the quality of the recordings for the 72 album were not of the best quality according to Mick - I mean technically, how they were recorded, and he wasn't really satisfied with the basic sound quality. Of course that could be his typical smoke screening too.

J

Re: What is the best sounding & most complete 1972 "Philadelphia Special" release
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2015 14:47

VideoJames

when Rollin came by my home (years ago) they were looking for a excellent copy of the film for the DVD release, he wanted to see my copy and while there he told me some very depressing stories about the the making of the film and the what happened after the film came out with the negatives and outtakes

So are we to understand camera neg and any usable footage from the 4 shows have been trashed? confused smiley So there'll never be a reworked expanded version of L&G?

Date: July 27, 2015 16:51

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:57

Currently listening to the SODD release "Philadelphia Special"; it's excellent! 9 of the 14 tracks from Philly, with the remaining 5 from Fort Worth/Dallas I think.

The version of 'All Down the Line', which is one of the Texas tracks, is an absolute stormer! Stunning stuff, Taylor's slide mixing with Keith's rhythm to make Stones gold.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:15

dcba
VideoJames

when Rollin came by my home (years ago) they were looking for a excellent copy of the film for the DVD release, he wanted to see my copy and while there he told me some very depressing stories about the the making of the film and the what happened after the film came out with the negatives and outtakes

So are we to understand camera neg and any usable footage from the 4 shows have been trashed? confused smiley So there'll never be a reworked expanded version of L&G?

Unless Rollin' Binzer actually destroyed the materials himself or actually witnessed them getting destroyed by third parties, I would take every information like this with a grain of salt.

Decades ago, the story made the rounds that Stones master tapes ended in garbage containers when ABKCO wanted to save storage place - possibly as an explanation for why the orginal Stones CD releases sounded comparatively subpar. But finally, in 2002, the fantastic ABKCO remasters were released...rescued from the trashcan? Hmmmm....!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:29

JMARKO

I've also heard/read that the quality of the recordings for the 72 album were not of the best quality according to Mick - I mean technically, how they were recorded, and he wasn't really satisfied with the basic sound quality. Of course that could be his typical smoke screening too.

J

It's possible, and the general mix as presented on the Philadelphia/Houston/Ft. Worth compilation tapes leaves indeed a lot to be desired, but with today's technology it should be possible to get excellent sonic results if they are able to work from the original multitracks. I mean, if they were able to achieve marvellous results from the raw and primitive 1965 UK tour recordings for the Charlie Is My Darling "Live 1965" CD, they should be able to do even better with live recordings done 7 years later, in 1972.

Date: July 27, 2015 22:07

A few outtakes exist from L&G - they were on Youtube.

VideoJames, we'll never get to see @#$%& Blues (which would be real From The Vault suprise) - how about including some of the live clips from CS Blues, such as this fantastic SFM?

Street Fighting Man, CS Blues

Date: July 28, 2015 05:33

That's a pretty sloppy version. They never seem to really all synch up. Jagger does have some bad vocal spots, but they are only here and there. The horns don't seem quite right at the end, there's a ton of nasty feedback that comes and goes, and it does, indeed sound like Mick Taylor's guitar does not finish the song. He's usually noodling away at the end, even after most of the band finishes, but I can't hear him at all at a certain point during that final rave up.

That might be the only version they had to work with for the film. I can see why they might have left it out back then. But now it could have been tacked on as a bonus track - like to two tracks that were used for Don Kirshner which also didn't make the cut - and are kind of superior.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 28, 2015 15:55

In fact, all Phidalephia boots have a rather bad audio.

As for Rocks Off, there is a good version they easily could have included in the Ladies & Gentlemen movie (Fort Worth June 24):

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 28, 2015 16:52

Best release would be a FULL concert rather than snippets from various shows.

If pittsburgh or philly or MSG exist as a full concert then go for it !!!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 28, 2015 18:04

kleermaker
LieB
VideoJames
I recently made a proposal to the "from the vaults series" people and the Stones to release the "lost Live Album" from master tapes I have or from what the Stones may have. I also want to include Stevie Wonder's performance as originally planned. Also to have the planned original cover. I have also offered them very rare concert footage that me and an associate have from the 72 tour from Philadelphia & Pittsburgh with sound that fans have never seen (or has not been circulated as far as I know) to go as a bonus DVD along with a couple other oddities.
I would love feed back about peoples thoughts on this idea and any other ideas of what else should be included in the package. All I can say now is they have the proposal and they are thinking about it.. I am awaiting their reply.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

That's absolutely brilliant news VideoJames! The '72 tour in under-represented these days (now that we have several '71 releases and the great Brussels '73) and I've always wished they would release some really good unheard/unseen concert footage from '72! I'm hoping for stuff like Charlotte, Norfolk, Washington DC, Hollywood Palladium, etc., some day, but the Long Lost Live Album with original artwork, Stevie Wonder and bonus footage is an awesome idea and the perfect companion to the slightly underwhelming Ladies & Gentlemen release.

Thanks for the great work you do, and please let us now how it evolves! smileys with beer

It's a great idea, because the 72 tour deserves so much better than the crappy sounding Ladies & Gentlemen DVD! It was an epic tour with so many gems that it's hard to choose the best ones. I would love to hear Torn and Frayed and Ventilator Blues in great audio! Also Sweet Black Angel would be very welcome.

Don't forget Loving Cup, Bye Bye Johnny (Vancouver), and Don't Lie to Me!!

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:40

Try to find the box ""The Rolling Stones American Tour 1972"" WLR-2119

10cd's , 2dvd's + 12 booklet information.
dvd's: C;;;sucker Blues , Ladies and Gentlemen.

cd's: Vancouver
LA
Forth Worth
Forth Worth
Alabama
Washington DC
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
M.S.G.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:53

VideoJames
Oh! how I wish, tapes were made from some shows..Just a feed from the soundboard nothing multi-tracked. I believe the Madison bootleg was one of those.San Fransisco
was another. But when talking multi(16 trk) the Stones only did that in Philadelphia Pittsburgh, Dallas & Fort Worth. That's off the top of my head, I have some log sheets on what shows were record in multi track in the 70's. In 1978 the taped all the shows on cassette from the mixing board to listen after the show. One tape was stolen from the N.J. later to become the "Out ON Bail" bootleg. When working on Live in Texas 78, it seems there was no interest in using any of these taped shows as bonus material to be included. It may be they want only to release multi-track recordings only and the through the sound board shows we/most Stones fans love isn't good enough to be officially released by the band. IMHO

I don't think there has ever been a SB release of anything from the Winterland shows. Correct me if I am wrong. There was a CD called Winter Tour 73 which purportedly had a few Winterland songs on there but they were audience, not SB

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:14

VideoJames
Oh! how I wish, tapes were made from some shows..Just a feed from the soundboard nothing multi-tracked. I believe the Madison bootleg was one of those.San Fransisco
was another. But when talking multi(16 trk) the Stones only did that in Philadelphia Pittsburgh, Dallas & Fort Worth. That's off the top of my head, I have some log sheets on what shows were record in multi track in the 70's. In 1978 the taped all the shows on cassette from the mixing board to listen after the show. One tape was stolen from the N.J. later to become the "Out ON Bail" bootleg. When working on Live in Texas 78, it seems there was no interest in using any of these taped shows as bonus material to be included. It may be they want only to release multi-track recordings only and the through the sound board shows we/most Stones fans love isn't good enough to be officially released by the band. IMHO

Thanks for all the info, that's really cool of you to share. Are there any multi-tracks of the 1973 Pacific Tour? The Nicaraguan benefit concert and Perth (Happy B-day Nicky) are my personal favs.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:01

Thanks, VideoJames! What actually exists on tape is one of those ”mysteries” and you shed a bit of light on it. It makes sense to me that they only did multitrack recordings of a few shows back then. But they could easily release some of those soundboards as a ”bootleg series” somewhere down the line.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:58

Sorry ...I completely missed this thread....and started another one about Philly 72.

Let's hope they release something from this tour. Outstanding versions of so many songs.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 6, 2015 13:47

VideoJames
But first let's see if they even want to do something, I am still waiting to get a reply if this is even possible to put out (fingers crossed). BTW thanks for the ideas, any more let me know.. I will pass them on. There are two new things planned to come out in the Autumn, hopefully..So this project still has a while to happen if it does..

Any news about this two new things? Eagle vision releases?

Anyway thanks for this great info.

Date: August 6, 2015 14:55

Ricky
VideoJames
But first let's see if they even want to do something, I am still waiting to get a reply if this is even possible to put out (fingers crossed). BTW thanks for the ideas, any more let me know.. I will pass them on. There are two new things planned to come out in the Autumn, hopefully..So this project still has a while to happen if it does..

EV was reported to have a "1995 club-shows" DVD box in the works.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:09

tioms
Try to find the box ""The Rolling Stones American Tour 1972"" WLR-2119

10cd's , 2dvd's + 12 booklet information.
dvd's: C;;;sucker Blues , Ladies and Gentlemen.

cd's: Vancouver
LA
Forth Worth
Forth Worth
Alabama
Washington DC
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
M.S.G.

What I heard from other fans who bought this Wonderland box is:

a) it are not soundboard, but audience recordings (instead of what is mentioned on the cover of the box)
b) it's a very badly made effort from WLR, because a lot of the discs have skip problems.

So don't buy this stuff!

Date: August 6, 2015 20:22

dcba
Ricky
VideoJames

EV was reported to have a "1995 club-shows" DVD box in the works.

OK. I was thinking in something like Tokyo 90 + Light The Fuse like last november LA Forum + Hampton... but I love to see a release with the 1995 club shows.
Best

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:31

Probably the first two options are the most likely right now, but yeah the 1995 club shows are killers!

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 7, 2015 06:38

alimente
dcba
VideoJames

Unless Rollin' Binzer actually destroyed the materials himself or actually witnessed them getting destroyed by third parties, I would take every information like this with a grain of salt.

Decades ago, the story made the rounds that Stones master tapes ended in garbage containers when ABKCO wanted to save storage place - possibly as an explanation for why the orginal Stones CD releases sounded comparatively subpar. But finally, in 2002, the fantastic ABKCO remasters were released...rescued from the trashcan? Hmmmm....!

That ABKCO story is just ridiculous, there has always been plenty of room where ABKCO keeps their master tapes. But back to Rollin.. The negatives are missing/gone, they wanted to use my print that came off the negative and in mint condition. The L & G negatives were stored in a place that they are no longer there. There are various prints around but the actual negatives right now or rather when I was talking with Rollin were no where to be found, and believe me they looked.

Oh! As far as my proposal, I have not heard anything yet. Again in the Autumn we hope to see two new releases... Tokyo & Amsterdam.

Date: August 7, 2015 07:43

tornnfrayed
I don't think there has ever been a SB release of anything from the Winterland shows. Correct me if I am wrong. There was a CD called Winter Tour 73 which purportedly had a few Winterland songs on there but they were audience, not SB

I believe two tracks from one of the shows were broadcast locally on SF radio.

Sourced from Bill Graham I believe.

J

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: August 7, 2015 08:48

VideoJames
alimente
dcba
VideoJames

That ABKCO story is just ridiculous, there has always been plenty of room where ABKCO keeps their master tapes. But back to Rollin.. The negatives are missing/gone, they wanted to use my print that came off the negative and in mint condition. The L & G negatives were stored in a place that they are no longer there. There are various prints around but the actual negatives right now or rather when I was talking with Rollin were no where to be found, and believe me they looked.

Oh! As far as my proposal, I have not heard anything yet. Again in the Autumn we hope to see two new releases... Tokyo & Amsterdam.

Thanks for the information VideoJames. I guess we will get Tokyo 90 (from the Official Bootleg Series) then or is it also 95 just like Amsterdam?

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 7, 2015 11:32

VideoJames
Again in the Autumn we hope to see two new releases... Tokyo & Amsterdam.

Yeees!... Finally!
Hope we will have both club shows box...
Thanks for the infos James.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-07 11:35 by mitch.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 7, 2015 20:00

VideoJames

Correction; This Autumn we will see 2 new DVD's ...Tokyo 90 & Leeds 82. Amsterdam 95 has been moved to a possibly later date

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: August 7, 2015 22:00

JMARKO
tornnfrayed

I believe two tracks from one of the shows were broadcast locally on SF radio.

Sourced from Bill Graham I believe.

J

I had heard something like that but in fact they have never showed up on any bootlegs. Correct me if I am wrong.

Date: August 7, 2015 22:53

VideoJames

back to Rollin.. The negatives are missing/gone, they wanted to use my print that came off the negative and in mint condition. The L & G negatives were stored in a place that they are no longer there. There are various prints around but the actual negatives right now or rather when I was talking with Rollin were no where to be found, and believe me they looked.

Call me a nutso but I expected sth much worse than "missing/gone". I was thinking the lot had been trashed sometime in the 70's due to a mistake or because the bill of the warehouse hadn't been paid.

Have you read this VJ? [distribpixblog.wordpress.com]
Yeah compelte pristine reels of Orson Welles' "Falstaff" found in a cache of porn. It's not the camera neg but miracles do happen.

Date: August 8, 2015 01:01

VideoJames
VideoJames

Correction; This Autumn we will see 2 new DVD's ...Tokyo 90 & Leeds 82. Amsterdam 95 has been moved to a possibly later date

Well... so we must wait for the club shows.

Many thanks for the info: by the way, I love your "Ultimate Guide to The RS". Hope some day we will see an update.

Best:
Ricardo

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home