Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Now Bill Wyman is to reveal his side of the Stones story in autobiography
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 19, 2013 14:02

Just a thought re. Mandy...given the Savile Affair and now Stuart Hall (who is in his 80's) being charged (this will be familiar to UK readers) isn't Bill best advised to stay low profile? Any number of women out there may have allegations against him...just sayin'...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 19, 2013 14:22

His Majesty
Never, ever would I say that the atmosphere of the Stones was relaxed and happy. These five incredibly strong personalities were definitely guarded, controlling their emotions. They weren't very open with EACH OTHER, so they certainly couldn't have appeared relaxed to outsiders! It was just this tension, a moodiness, a sulking. You could never call them hypocrites. They're all very real, whether their nastiness or niceness is showing. But they exercised what I'd describe as controlling silences... They're not demonstrative. It's a loose-sounding band but they're not loose people! I've never in my life experienced five such uptight people. On the other hand, if somebody's sick or in a crisis, they have always been very good and loyal.

- Astrid Lundstrom, quoted in
Bill Wyman's Stone Alone (1990)

So maybe the cliched family and marriage analogies are quite near the truth.

Astrid's description is that of a typically dysfunctional english family ;^)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 19, 2013 16:48

Spud
His Majesty
Never, ever would I say that the atmosphere of the Stones was relaxed and happy. These five incredibly strong personalities were definitely guarded, controlling their emotions. They weren't very open with EACH OTHER, so they certainly couldn't have appeared relaxed to outsiders! It was just this tension, a moodiness, a sulking. You could never call them hypocrites. They're all very real, whether their nastiness or niceness is showing. But they exercised what I'd describe as controlling silences... They're not demonstrative. It's a loose-sounding band but they're not loose people! I've never in my life experienced five such uptight people. On the other hand, if somebody's sick or in a crisis, they have always been very good and loyal.

- Astrid Lundstrom, quoted in
Bill Wyman's Stone Alone (1990)

So maybe the cliched family and marriage analogies are quite near the truth.

Astrid's description is that of a typically dysfunctional english family ;^)

Hehe, yup. grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:19

gotdablouse
Er...so how does that fit in with "Stone Alone", "Rolling with the Stones" and that coffee table thing he's currently peddling? Oddly enough the dude who wrote that "article" seems to know nothing about them and Bill certainly hadn't "fallen out" with Mick & Co in 89/90 since he was still a band member in 1991 and says (in RWTS) that Mick and Charlie swung by his place one last time in 1992 (or 1993?) to see if would change his mind. If anything Mick just considered him to be part of the furniture and couldn't be bothered either way, except for the "best to have as many original members as possible" marketing spiel.

Anyway it seems like Bill is strapped for cash so he'll just keep on writing books!

[www.celebritynetworth.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 19, 2013 21:11

Interesting, seems like from Bill's comments - he was really in to doing a full scale concert and as well going to US.
From his comments, he was very disappointed just being in for 2 songs, no preparation / rehearsals and hence didn't want to go to NY.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:01

Bliss
Stoneage
Maybe Bill is to much of an historian? I would rather read a 150 paged kiss and tell story than a 650 paged book of statistics.

As valuable as Bill's work is as an archivist, his was the only RS book that I didn't finish.

Yes I understand...I had the same challenge as I was distracted by the need to watch my paint dry.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:06

treaclefingers
Bliss
Stoneage
Maybe Bill is to much of an historian? I would rather read a 150 paged kiss and tell story than a 650 paged book of statistics.

As valuable as Bill's work is as an archivist, his was the only RS book that I didn't finish.

Yes I understand...I had the same challenge as I was distracted by the need to watch my paint dry.

It's not as bad as THAT...better than watching the water go down the drain.grinning smiley

I'm jokin of course, I will read Bill's book, but he better get a move on, he's not getting any younger.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:13

Now Bill Wyman is to reveal his side of the Stones story in autobiography

So, we must forget all about touring with Bill Wyman

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:15

So, we must forget all about touring with Bill Wyman

........... eeeerrrr well there might be a book-signing tour of the UK ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2013 00:15

Erik_Snow
I always find Bill Wyman interviews a lot more interesting than interviews with any other stone.....

Spot on

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2013 07:15

I thought Bill was above all this Stones stuff, but he still seems deeply connected to it. I imagine the group looked different at one point, a sort of collective that slowly became the Mick & Keith show. Still, they are one weird bunch. Do all English people have a problem with just telling each other what's bugging them? I can't believe that Bill couldn't tell the other Stones he wasn't happy with one rehearsal and no sound check. It's odd that he snipes at them from a distance, but doesn't confront them when he has the chance.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 08:13

Things didn't go terribly well between Bill and the Stones in the New Jersey rehearsals.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: February 20, 2013 11:11

LeonidP
Silver Dagger
... He also expressed his anger that he wasn’t given sufficient credit as a songwriter and described Sir Mick as an “egomaniac”...

which I always find quite humorous ... In Stone Alone, Bill writes that in the early days, when Mick & Keith started writing, they spent all their time, after shows, holed up & writing tunes, while Bill & Brian went to clubs to get laid (he doesn't really mention what Charlie was doing). So it seems that Bill set himself up to not partake in the writing process, and later, when he saw how profitable it became, suddenly was bitter over it.

And to be fair, the songs Bill has written on his solo albums, are just "okay" at best.

Bill also complains that he wrote Jumping Jack Flash, but most of the evidence points against that (in particular that the riff is really just a adjustment of Satisfaction).

1+
Bill as a matter of fact has had time enough before and after he quit to proof he can write decent songs. He failed completely. He now behaves like a bitter old man. Its as simple as that, he lost his lottery win by leaving the Stones and the more he says he has never regretted that decision the more I don't believe him.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 20, 2013 13:27

TeddyB1018
Things didn't go terribly well between Bill and the Stones in the New Jersey rehearsals.

Teddy, what do you mean? Do you talk about the rehearsals before the December shows or the spring rehearsals - I do not remember exactly when they were in March or April or something. There was no information about his involvement in both of these events. Please tell more
- or are you just kidding?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 20, 2013 13:35

YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THAT.....BECAUSE HE WAS'NT THERE.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 20, 2013 15:18

I don't see Bill as bitter or unhappy. I think he just calls it like he sees it. Even Brian, who he was closest to, doesn't get a whitewash when he writes or speaks about him. I have seen him praise the band when he felt they were musically good or personally kind.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:32

leatherjacket
LeonidP
Silver Dagger
... He also expressed his anger that he wasn’t given sufficient credit as a songwriter and described Sir Mick as an “egomaniac”...

which I always find quite humorous ... In Stone Alone, Bill writes that in the early days, when Mick & Keith started writing, they spent all their time, after shows, holed up & writing tunes, while Bill & Brian went to clubs to get laid (he doesn't really mention what Charlie was doing). So it seems that Bill set himself up to not partake in the writing process, and later, when he saw how profitable it became, suddenly was bitter over it.

And to be fair, the songs Bill has written on his solo albums, are just "okay" at best.

Bill also complains that he wrote Jumping Jack Flash, but most of the evidence points against that (in particular that the riff is really just a adjustment of Satisfaction).

1+
Bill as a matter of fact has had time enough before and after he quit to proof he can write decent songs. He failed completely. He now behaves like a bitter old man. Its as simple as that, he lost his lottery win by leaving the Stones and the more he says he has never regretted that decision the more I don't believe him.

+2

Like him as a bass player but creatively not so much, the whining is annoying and well, the courting of a 13 year old girl...what can you say about that, pretty gross.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:33

proudmary
TeddyB1018

Teddy, what do you mean? Do you talk about the rehearsals before the December shows or the spring rehearsals - I do not remember exactly when they were in March or April or something. There was no information about his involvement in both of these events. Please tell more
- or are you just kidding?

Bullshite,
Bill Wyman was not there.
jeroen

Date: February 20, 2013 16:34

Will be a few more yers before its released.

jeroen

Date: February 20, 2013 16:37

When Teddy shares info, no matter how sparse, you should be careful calling it BS. One day we might not get more drops of valuable info.

Just my two cents...

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:39

I'm pretty sure it was reported that Bill was at the NJ rehearsals, hence the anticipation that they might all appear on SNL.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 20, 2013 17:04

Don Was played bass at the NJ rehearsals.

Bill said in The Times interview that he was at the December 2011 London sessions, and then did one reheasal and soundcheck for the O2 shows.

Date: February 20, 2013 17:22

DandelionPowderman
When Teddy shares info, no matter how sparse, you should be careful calling it BS. One day we might not get more drops of valuable info.

Just my two cents...

i still call it bullshite, even when the Dalai Lama says Bill was there.
Maybe Bill Clinton he means...........

jeroen

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2013 17:41

It's hard for me to believe that Bill got on a plane and came to the States for the Stones, for a rehearsal, then didn't perform with them, when he won't even bring his own group over for a tour, of which there is a pent-up demand. He wouldn't sell out stadiums or arenas, but there's a lot of nice sized places he could play in bigger cities.

I remember reading back in December about Mick Taylor being spotted getting a hotel room in New Jersey, and Bill being spotted too, but there was no followup to that. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it seems far fetched.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 20, 2013 18:26

wonder if we asked him on his facebook page, would he answer...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 20, 2013 19:38

24FPS
Do all English people have a problem with just telling each other what's bugging them?

Yes! grinning smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:36

Well, I for one look forward to reading it and I doubt the book will be a collection of cheap shots. While Bill does whine a bit over the years, his recounting of obtaining heroin for Keith on one lone occasion was in the context of explaining his (non) relationship with Keith over the many years; it certainly isn't a secret that Keith was a junkie.

His previous writing was a real eye opener for me on more than a few matters. Sure, it could've been a more breezy read had he wanted it to be, but he set out to do a certain type of book and I think he succeeded in that. It lent a new perspective on Brian Jones for me and while the individual dates and money figures were tedious to read about in isolation, taken altogether I was also astonished at just how hard they all worked throughout the 60s.

If anything, Bill has absorbed many gratuitous and casual cheap shots from both Jagger and Richards over the decades and although these subsided over time, it lasted well into the early 90s. In contrast, Bill's criticism of the Glimmers has always seemed to me to be measured and even thoughtful.

The article is just a piece of tabloid junk. Jagger isn't "bracing" for anything.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: February 21, 2013 02:11

He's already done this...next!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 21, 2013 03:37

Nor do I believe Mick Taylor is planning an autobiography. He may or may not write one, but as far as I can see, he was merely asked a question by the media and just mused on the thought of it.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 21, 2013 03:53

Looking forward to Bill's next book. Until then:

Told with startling honesty and humour, Jo Wood takes you behind the scenes of life married to Ronnie Wood, the most controversial member of the Rolling Stones and how she bounced back from heartbreak. From teenage model to rock-chick, motherhood to marriage breakdown and starting over again in her 50s, Jo’s had a roller-coaster ride of a life.

A raw and rollicking narrative from the eye of the storm, Jo’s extraordinary story of life as a Rolling Stone girlfriend, then wife, mother and more, is a never-before-heard account of the heady hedonistic Ronnie Wood years – the drugs, the roadies, the tours, and the booze – and a celebration of her new-found happiness as an entrepreneur, fashion icon and beauty expert.

Following the public breakdown of her marriage, Jo moved on with a dignity and lack of bitterness that won her fans across the country. Now a successful businesswoman, a passionate campaigner of pure, organic living, and a thriving name in fashion, Jo has learnt to embrace her new found vitality, and in doing so has become the heroine of everyone from 20-something fashionistas to Strictly Come Dancing devotees.

This is Jo’s journey, from the breathtaking highs of her and Ronnie’s shared infatuation and love, to the devastating lows of his sudden disappearances, drug-induced mania and seizures, and how she learned to walk away without regret or bitterness, and forgive.

Show More
Show Less

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home