Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2013 18:54

2000 LYFH
MKjan
impossible to choose, glad I don't have to!

2000LYF, OK ABOUT N NJ hackensack,bayonne,jersey city,paterson, carlstadt,
union city, secaucus. Yi yi yiii.I was born and raised in hoboken.
ok, there is ridge wood and franklin lakes and others.

NJ people are differentsmoking smiley

Oh come on. How am I suppose to know where you stand if you don't tell me.

confused smileydifferent from what?

Only from each other. Outside of the state nobody notices, they're all the same.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 13, 2013 19:34

Sticky Fingers by a mile!thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 13, 2013 20:29

Bleed has great songs on it: Shelter, Can't Always Get What You Want, Rambler, LIV for instance. But their performance is poor in my ears. Keith did a great job, but he couldn't fill it all and they missed another guitarist (let's call him Taylor).

Sticky contains also great songs: Sway, Knocking, DF, MM, WH for instance. But they are performed much better, thanks to two guitarists. So SF is the better album. But they are both great of course.

Date: February 13, 2013 20:39

how can you pick this ?

gimme shelter / brown sugar - shelter

love in vain / sway - sway by a pinch

country honk / wild horses - horses

live with me / can't you hear me knocking - tie

let it bleed / you go ta move - i dunno, i dont much like neither of em - tie

midnight rambler / bitch - gonna go with bitch (prefer rambler live)

you got the silver / i got the blues - love em both, tie

monkey man / sister morphine - monkey man

YCAGWYW / dead flowers - jeebus, i dunno. tie

Moonlight Mile - Moonlight Mile

ok hows that tally up then

sticky by a length

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 20:45

kleermaker
Bleed has great songs on it: Shelter, Can't Always Get What You Want, Rambler, LIV for instance. But their performance is poor in my ears. Keith did a great job, but he couldn't fill it all and they missed another guitarist (let's call him Taylor).

Sticky contains also great songs: Sway, Knocking, DF, MM, WH for instance. But they are performed much better, thanks to two guitarists. So SF is the better album. But they are both great of course.

Great point. It took live performances for those songs to really come to life. The studio versions were great, but they are basic structures when compared to how they would build on them live. The live versions that came soon after really shined (mostly due to Taylor's contributions). The Sticky Fingers songs shined more than LIB songs even in their studio form.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 13, 2013 21:26

Side 2 of Let It Bleed is the best Stones side of all albums.
Wasn't Sticky Fingers the working title of Let It Bleed (sorry, if mentioned before but I just joined this thread and didn't read the four pages in between)?
The double album discussion makes more sense if you seperate the songs by their publishing rights: ABKCO or Rolling Stones Records (Musidor actually, isn't it?). But that has been done - I think when Exile pt. II has been released.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 14, 2013 00:40

kleermaker

Is that you Kleermaker............. the first Taylor record?

Technically/Poduction-wise...........speaking SF is way better then LIB but the feel of Bleed (Stones-wise) is way better then SF..............IMO

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 14, 2013 02:17

gimme shelter / brown sugar - gimme shelter

love in vain / sway - love in vain is so much better, sway is cool but love in vain is a classic

country honk / wild horses - country honk, wild horses is a teen ballad sleazy

live with me / can't you hear me knocking - live with me is better but the second part of knockin is of course great

let it bleed / you go ta move - let it bleed of course although you gotta move was really great in 1975/76

midnight rambler / bitch - rambler of course, bitch is a good rocker but rambler is a masterpiece

you got the silver / i got the blues - you got the silver is a great great song, I got the blues is pure crap

monkey man / sister morphine - monkey man, sister morphine is pointless, filler

YCAGWYW / dead flowers - YCAGWYW is a classic, a masterpiece. dead flowers is a cool filler and a really nice moment in 1972, not bad but a joke compared to YCAGWYW

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 14, 2013 04:08

2000 LYFH
Which is it?

Let It Bleed:
Gimmie Shelter
Love in Vain
Country Honk
Live With Me
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
You Got the Silver
Monkey Man
You Can't Always Get What You Want

Sticky Fingers:
Brown Sugar
Sway
Wild Horses
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
You Gotta Move
Bitch
I Got The Blues
Sister Morphine
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile

And for those of you who favor Exile On Main Street, if Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers were a double album, which would you then chose?

I'll go with Let It Bleed and the Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers combo

Seeing the list of songs on both of these albums, to me they're both great. Of course, everyone is bound to have their personal favorite.

I like LIB and Beggar's Banquet over SF, not that it matters.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 14, 2013 04:30

My poll as to why I prefer LIB over SF

GS vs. BS = GS both great but GS is my favorite song
LIV vs S = LIV
CH vs WH = WH
LWM vs CYHMK = CYMHK
LIB vs YGM = LIB
MR vs B = MR
YGS vs IGTB = YGS
MM VS SM = MM
YCAGWYW vs DF = YCAGWYW
Nothing vs MM = MM

I think we have 18 great songs and one clunker in Country Honk but I like most of the LIB songs a littl bit more the SF songs.

Date: February 14, 2013 10:46

Redhotcarpet

love in vain / sway - love in vain is so much better, sway is cool but love in vain is a classic

live with me / can't you hear me knocking - live with me is better but the second part of knockin is of course great

let it bleed / you go ta move - let it bleed of course although you gotta move was really great in 1975/76

midnight rambler / bitch - rambler of course, bitch is a good rocker but rambler is a masterpiece

you got the silver / i got the blues - you got the silver is a great great song, I got the blues is pure crap

YCAGWYW / dead flowers - YCAGWYW is a classic, a masterpiece. dead flowers is a cool filler and a really nice moment in 1972, not bad but a joke compared to YCAGWYW

I was listening to Miles Davis yesterday, the "In A Silent Way"-album. On track #2 (there are only two tracks), all of a sudden the very same theme from CYHMK appears, out of nowhere grinning smiley This is clearly a Miles-jam, all improvised. Since Miles came with this album first, I really start to wonder how improvised the Stones's take was...

Date: February 14, 2013 12:01

FrankM
Both are great albums but I much prefer Sticky Fingers.

GS vs. BS ----- GS
LIV vs. S ----- S
CH vs. WH ----- WH
LWM vs. CYHMK ----- CYHMK
LIB vs. YGM ----- LIB
MR vs. B ----- B
YGTS vs. IGTB ----- IGTB
MM vs. SM ----- MM
YCAGWYW vs. DF ----- YCAGWYW
no track vs. MM ----- MM

thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 14, 2013 16:25

LIB and SF both were produced by Jimmy Miller
Both albums belong to the RS music heigts in their musical history!
I certainly listened to hundreds of times these vinyl records and both are awesome for me. So no choice possible

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 14, 2013 17:02

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

I was listening to Miles Davis yesterday, the "In A Silent Way"-album. On track #2 (there are only two tracks), all of a sudden the very same theme from CYHMK appears, out of nowhere grinning smiley This is clearly a Miles-jam, all improvised. Since Miles came with this album first, I really start to wonder how improvised the Stones's take was...

You cannot compare Miles/ Stones/ John McLaughlin / Mick Taylor, I love them both though.

Date: February 14, 2013 17:24

Still Taylors has that style of his and its not the same note for note. But, yes the drums, rhythm, bass is the same

Date: February 14, 2013 17:27

The Stones NEVER copy note for note - they're too clever for that winking smiley

It's pretty much note for note by the bass, though.

Great, great album, btw.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 14, 2013 19:43

Redhotcarpet

Teen ballad sleezy/pure crap/filler? One might think you had a few too many shots of Jack Daniels before you listened to Sticky Fingers but of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Date: February 14, 2013 20:24

Sober but thats the thing, I hate Wild horses, it's too much. Love in vain is melancholy without trying, Wild Horses is in your face. I got the blues is horrible pretending to be blues, Let it bleed is rough and real. Sister Morphine is trying to be something.

I LOVE LET IT BLEED!

Date: February 14, 2013 21:13

Pretending to be...the blues??????? It's a classic soul ballad, and a good one as well!

You can't be more honest than Wild Horses...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 15, 2013 02:29

I cant really decide between these myself. I think SF stands up well against Bleed considering "Let It Bleed" was pretty much a planned and constructed LP and "Sticky Fingers" is more a "hodgepodge" collection of songs that just happened to be used on one record.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 15, 2013 02:36

scottkeef
idering "Let It Bleed" was pretty much a planned and constructed LP and "Sticky Fingers" is more a "hodgepodge" collection of songs that just happened to be used on one record.

confused smiley

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: February 15, 2013 03:07

Love In Vain and Country Honk take Let It Bleed down a notch. I LOVE "Love In Vain" from GYYYO though.Always skip Country Honk.
Never skip anything from Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 04:05

SF has a lot of great memories for me so SF.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 15, 2013 04:54

Redhotcarpet - I am with you I feel Let it Bleed is the better album but Sticky Fingers is a great album in its own right. I Got the Blue, Wild Horses and Dead Flowes are NOT pure crap, sleazy teen ballad or enjoyable filler they are all great songs in their own right.

Date: February 15, 2013 09:28

Signing in I accidently typed redhotcrap. >grinning smiley<

True, I got the blues is soul, but I dont like it and even though I like Dead Flowers, really like it, it's doesnt feel "real" in the same way every track on Let it bleed does. I think it might have to do with the production and how they sounded on Bleed. It sounds like an album recorded with one band during a short time, while Sticky is more a collection of songs like scottkeef said. And I know everybody loves Wild Horses but sorry, no. When I was younger Id say Wild Horses and Sway were better songs than CH and LIV. Sway is not bad at all.

Also BS, being the great song it is - one of the greatest ever, is not a masterpiece in the same way, the work of genius, like Shelter or Rambler. Or YCAGWYW for that matter. Shelter is depth within one genre, rock drama, Rambler is their ever present dark passanger.
Maybe Brown Sugar is their rolling New Orleans master piece but theres something about the studio recording I dont like. Maybe its the compressed sound. Live in the 70s it was one of the three highlights of course.

Sticky lacks something that makes it sound like a collection of songs released as an album compared to Let it bleed where even the "weak" songs are motivated.

You gotta move sounds like something they had to throw in there because they needed a blues. I got the blues is the soul ballad thrown in. Sister Morphine is meant to be a dark song about smack but comes off like posing.

My Sticky:

Brown Sugar
Wild Horses (fine, keep it)
Bitch
Cant you hear me knockin

(Potted Schrimp)
Sway
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 09:29 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 15, 2013 10:02

Sticky Fingers.

If LIB and Sticky were a double album, then Exile would not be able to match it.

Exile has a few good things on it, but I think it's full of castoffs that were not good enough for LIB and Sticky in the first place.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 10:05

gimme shelter / brown sugar - Gimme Shelter
love in vain / sway - Sway
country honk / wild horses - WILD Horses (ALMOST my face Stones tune ever)
live with me / can't you hear me knocking - CYHMK
let it bleed / you go ta move - YGTMove
midnight rambler / bitch - Midnight Rambler (ACE TRACK)
you got the silver / i got the blues - SILVER
monkey man / sister morphine - This is a tie - LOVE 'em both
YCAGWYW / dead flowers - YCAGWYW

So like for like its 4 LIB and 4 SF, and 1 TIE so cant split them. Moonlight SHOULD tip it to SF ... YET, when I reach for one or the other, I find almost always I gravitate to Let it Bleed. Go figure

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 10:06

howled
Sticky Fingers.

If LIB and Sticky were a double album, then Exile would not be able to match it.

Exile has a few good things on it, but I think it's full of castoffs that were not good enough for LIB and Sticky in the first place.

I 'Howled" when I read this.....

Rgds
Rod

Date: February 15, 2013 11:03

lazzzybones
Love In Vain and Country Honk take Let It Bleed down a notch. I LOVE "Love In Vain" from GYYYO though.Always skip Country Honk.
Never skip anything from Sticky Fingers.

Whaaaaaaaaat??? It's the second best track on the album, and the best version they ever did - so soulful!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 15, 2013 12:32

Love 'em both, but I'd go with Let It Bleed.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1298
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home