Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Times Interview 17/2/13
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 18, 2013 21:37

Managed to get a Times subscribing friend to send me this little bit of the article;

It’s all very impressive, not least because Wyman is 76, but there is one achievement we haven’t talked about. In November 2012 Wyman joined his old band for their 50th anniversary concerts in London, for the first time since leaving in 1992. How was it to playHonky Tonk Women and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll (But I Like it) with his old band again after so many years?

“It was fun ... in a way,” he says, his changing inflection denoting reservation. “In December 2011 Keith called and said, ‘Come on mate, why don’t you have a jam with us?’ Then they asked if I’d be interested in getting involved in the band for special occasions. I thought I would get quite heavily involved, so when they said they only wanted me to do two songs I was a bit disappointed. I only had one rehearsal and no sound-check, so I just winged it. It was great, but I didn’t want to go to America for two songs. I think they understood. Well, Charlie did.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Re: Bill Times Interview 17/2/13
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 18, 2013 21:39

What a whinger !

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 18, 2013 21:46

That is so typical of rock musicians who go their separate ways, never quite agreeing on playing together extensively and creatively again. Bill has been mentioning for years that every time since he left when The Stones go out on the road, they leave the job open for him and ask if he would like to work with them for a couple of years, and he would always refuse. Finally, when Bill is willing to become heavily involved with The Stones again, now it is they who are turning him down. Perhaps it's just Mick and Keith's way of saying that they really didn't care for him all along, that they just took him for granted, and that now that a lot of time has passed, it really didn't matter to them whether he left or stayed on.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: February 18, 2013 21:49

So in other words, Bill was probably up for playing the 5 shows if he were allowed more time on stage,including the US gigs. We could have truly had a real Stones reuinion with Taylor and Wyman for 5 shows, but you know MJ/KR egos, and splitting money, and spotlight got in the way. F them!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:43

wtf.
Sorry for Bill.

Geez Mick n keef, your egos are bigger than aflying horse dunn. You let me down, @#$%&

jeroen

Date: February 18, 2013 22:46

I think his lack of involvement comes down to the Stones doing just enough to say such and such was done. yes, they brought Taylor, and Wyman, and yes they played "I Wanna be Your Man", but come on - a super professional band of 50 years on the road, practices one 2 minute pop diddy from '63? And Bill comes for one of the easiest songs for him to sit in? Taylor comes of what is basically a jam in B for him?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:54

Bill is such a whiner...it's not like he looked overjoyed to be on stage either, just a little bit teary eyed, but, well, yeah he's not needed and he never really was. I mean what did he bring to the plate in 30 years? The amp and taking Mick's side when he wanted to do a solo album. Then he couldn't even be bothered to keep that cushy job...Go write another book, oh wait, that's what he's threatened to do.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:07

gotdablouse
Bill is such a whiner...it's not like he looked overjoyed to be on stage either, just a little bit teary eyed, but, well, yeah he's not needed and he never really was. I mean what did he bring to the plate in 30 years? The amp and taking Mick's side when he wanted to do a solo album. Then he couldn't even be bothered to keep that cushy job...Go write another book, oh wait, that's what he's threatened to do.

The "wobble"....

"Something happens when we play together. It's impossible to copy. Every band follow the drummer. We don't follow Charlie. Charlie follows Keith. So the drums are very slightly behind Keith. It's only fractional. Seconds. Minuscule. And I tend to play ahead. It's got a sort of wobble. It's dangerous because it can fall apart at any minute."

He was perhaps the first bass player to distinguish the instrument on record in this 1965 track [from 3:29 onward]:

Great lines here as well:

True, Mick and Keith never needed him and still don't. In the eyes of many he's the most overrated and unnecessary band member in rock history.

But in the eyes of many more, the music of The Stones would not have been the same--or as good--without him.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:08

"Hey 76 y.o. Bill, take some plane across the ocean and play HTW..."

That's a dissapointing way of managing the relationship with Bill Wyman after 50 years.

What a grauitous provocation.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:09

Rollin92
Managed to get a Times subscribing friend to send me this little bit of the article;

It’s all very impressive, not least because Wyman is 76, but there is one achievement we haven’t talked about. In November 2012 Wyman joined his old band for their 50th anniversary concerts in London, for the first time since leaving in 1992. How was it to playHonky Tonk Women and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll (But I Like it) with his old band again after so many years?

“It was fun ... in a way,” he says, his changing inflection denoting reservation. “In December 2011 Keith called and said, ‘Come on mate, why don’t you have a jam with us?’ Then they asked if I’d be interested in getting involved in the band for special occasions. I thought I would get quite heavily involved, so when they said they only wanted me to do two songs I was a bit disappointed. I only had one rehearsal and no sound-check, so I just winged it. It was great, but I didn’t want to go to America for two songs. I think they understood. Well, Charlie did.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

If true, I find this very disturbing. They should have rolled out the red carpet for Bill and let him decide how "involved" he would be.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:12

JumpinJackOLantern
Rollin92

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

If true, I find this very disturbing. They should have rolled out the red carpet for Bill and let him decide how "involved" he would be.

Exactly. That should have been the way. (imho).

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:15

Wait wait wait... It took Bill saying something minor for everyone to think Keith and Mick have major egos?? No the $800 tickets??

Date: February 18, 2013 23:18

emotionalbarbecue

That's a dissapointing way of managing the relationship with Bill Wyman after 50 years.

Exactly, sometimes I really wonder about Mick and his decision making. I assume it was Mick who made the call? He even had to be persuaded to do the 50th anniversary shows! What next? A tour with no new album? I am starting to boil!

Date: February 18, 2013 23:32

stonehearted
gotdablouse

The "wobble"....

"Something happens when we play together. It's impossible to copy. Every band follow the drummer. We don't follow Charlie. Charlie follows Keith. So the drums are very slightly behind Keith. It's only fractional. Seconds. Minuscule. And I tend to play ahead. It's got a sort of wobble. It's dangerous because it can fall apart at any minute."

He was perhaps the first bass player to distinguish the instrument on record in this 1965 track [from 3:29 onward]:

Great lines here as well:

True, Mick and Keith never needed him and still don't. In the eyes of many he's the most overrated and unnecessary band member in rock history.

But in the eyes of many more, the music of The Stones would not have been the same--or as good--without him.

When The Whip Comes Down: Live in Texas, says it all! Bill was/is the perfect fit for the Stones at bass.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:38

JumpinJackOLantern
emotionalbarbecue

Exactly, sometimes I really wonder about Mick and his decision making. I assume it was Mick who made the call? He even had to be persuaded to do the 50th anniversary shows! What next? A tour with no new album? I am starting to boil!

Mick and Keith attached importance to the "Sir" /the knighthood.

Being gentlemen would have been enough regarding to Bill. They have lost a good chance.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:45

emotionalbarbecue
JumpinJackOLantern
emotionalbarbecue

Mick and Keith attached importance to the "Sir" /the knighthood.

Being gentlemen would have been enough regarding to Bill. They have lost a good chance.

Absolutely! I have had a feeling all along that we would be stuck with Daryl for the rest of the Stones band life.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:53

I'm not trying to defend Mick and Keith, but I don't see much in this short quote from Bill that indicates exactly what the proposed arrangement really was. Keith's quote to "have a jam with us", doesn't seem to me to mean a substantial role so perhaps Bill read into their invitation more than was there.

Besides, if Bill expected a bigger role in a tour, then it would have been at the expense of Darryl. I doubt they would have wanted to take the risk of alienating Darryl, who after all, has been with them for a long time now.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:56

Well, I think out of the 15.000 people in the O2 there where about a hundred who where excited to see Bill with the Stones. And I bet those 100 visit this IORR site once in a while. And the Stones truly need the backbone and support of Darryl these days. At the O2 Darryl really was coaching Keith through half of the songs, something I just don't see Bill do.

So from the perspective of probably 14.900 people Jagger was completely right in his decision to only invite Bill for 2 songs.

Mathijs

Date: February 19, 2013 00:04

latebloomer
I'm not trying to defend Mick and Keith, but I don't see much in this short quote from Bill that indicates exactly what the proposed arrangement really was. Keith's quote to "have a jam with us", doesn't seem to me to mean a substantial role so perhaps Bill read into their invitation more than was there.

Besides, if Bill expected a bigger role in a tour, then it would have been at the expense of Darryl. I doubt they would have wanted to take the risk of alienating Darryl, who after all, has been with them for a long time now.

I never thought Daryl was a good fit for the Stones, but once they hired him there was no way they were going to fire him, even if a young Bill Wyman had suddenly appeared on the scene.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:30

Mathijs
Well, I think out of the 15.000 people in the O2 there where about a hundred who where excited to see Bill with the Stones. And I bet those 100 visit this IORR site once in a while. And the Stones truly need the backbone and support of Darryl these days. At the O2 Darryl really was coaching Keith through half of the songs, something I just don't see Bill do.

So from the perspective of probably 14.900 people Jagger was completely right in his decision to only invite Bill for 2 songs.

Mathijs

WTF are you talking about ?

sc uk

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:33

straycatuk
Mathijs

Mathijs

WTF are you talking about ?

sc uk

+1!

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:36

BillWyman
Then they asked if I’d be interested in getting involved in the band for special occasions. I thought I would get quite heavily involved, so when they said they only wanted me to do two songs I was a bit disappointed. I only had one rehearsal and no sound-check, so I just winged it. It was great, but I didn’t want to go to America for two songs. I think they understood. Well, Charlie did.

This is good news and bad news. Good news because he wanted/wants to be more involved and do more with the band. Bad news because we could have, and should have had him for all the 2012 shows if this was handled properly.

Let's get it together this year guys!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 00:39 by achilles77.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:55

I don't remember Mick or Keith even looking in his direction when he was on stage with them. It was left to Ronnie to acknowledge he was even there. I for one have no desire to see the current lineup. If Bill is available, wants to play, and they're ignoring him, then f-them.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:07

24FPS
I don't remember Mick or Keith even looking in his direction when he was on stage with them. It was left to Ronnie to acknowledge he was even there. I for one have no desire to see the current lineup. If Bill is available, wants to play, and they're ignoring him, then f-them.

In all fairness aside from Ron and Charlie, Keith looked genuinely happy that Bill was there, cracking a smile and putting his arm around him at one stage. There was quite a touching moment captured in these photos;

[www.billwyman.com]

[www.billwyman.com]

[www.billwyman.com]

Tbh I think Bill really enjoyed his time on stage and so did I, for me it was the highlight of the 25th Nov. Its NOT him whinging just him wishing that he could have played a bigger part due to it being such a landmark occasion, hell I was disappointed that I was unable to see more of the concerts.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:07

24FPS

COMPLETE BO**OCKS I was in the pit right in front of Bill both nights. They all welcomed and acknowledged him. Yes, I wish he had done more, but there's no need to bend the truth to suit an argument imho.

sc uk

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:13

Rollin92
24FPS

In all fairness aside from Ron and Charlie, Keith looked genuinely happy that Bill was there, cracking a smile and putting his arm around him at one stage. There was quite a touching moment captured in these photos;

[www.billwyman.com]

[www.billwyman.com]

[www.billwyman.com]

Tbh I think Bill really enjoyed his time on stage and so did I, for me it was the highlight of the 25th Nov. Its NOT him whinging just him wishing that he could have played a bigger part due to it being such a landmark occasion, hell I was disappointed that I was unable to see more of the concerts.

Really nice pictures Rolling92, thanks. Whether or not they wanted him to be more involved in a tour, I would imagine they were all glad to play with him. I don't get why people try to create drama that isn't there.

Date: February 19, 2013 02:11

Mathijs

Mathijs

No, No, NO! All 15,000 wanted Bill! If that wasn't the way it was, then it damn well is the way it should have been!

Date: February 19, 2013 02:15

achilles77
BillWyman
Then they asked if I’d be interested in getting involved in the band for special occasions. I thought I would get quite heavily involved, so when they said they only wanted me to do two songs I was a bit disappointed. I only had one rehearsal and no sound-check, so I just winged it. It was great, but I didn’t want to go to America for two songs. I think they understood. Well, Charlie did.

This is good news and bad news. Good news because he wanted/wants to be more involved and do more with the band. Bad news because we could have, and should have had him for all the 2012 shows if this was handled properly.

Let's get it together this year guys!!

No new album? No Bill Wyman? No Mick Taylor? Forget the tour! Call it a career!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:02

I am amazed at some of the putdowns here of Bill Wyman.

He's one of the finest bass players in rock music history.

That's a FACT.

Date: February 19, 2013 03:12

stonesrule
I am amazed at some of the putdowns here of Bill Wyman.

He's one of the finest bass players in rock music history.

That's a FACT.

Not only was he a great bass player, he was one damn cool cat! He fit the Stones perfectly. God bless, the man, I mean, THE MAN!

And to hear he was expecting more of a role, and not given it, pisses me off to no end!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home