Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Religion
Posted by: Knutth ()
Date: January 30, 2005 18:26

Is Mick Jagger a religios person?

Re: Religion
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 30, 2005 20:50

In the sixties he said: "I'm an atheist really" in NME. I don't know how if he today maybe is a casual religious person, like most protestants are. He doesn't talk about it much. Although he bashes religion on Blinded By Rainbows it's still hard to figure out with him. But it's a good question.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: marston ()
Date: January 30, 2005 22:27

"Although he bashes religion on Blinded By Rainbows"

I get a different take on BBR. To me it appears as though he is saying people are kept from the Truth because they are blinded by rainbows, the pot of gold at the end, which they never find.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 31, 2005 15:18

I thought the point of "Blinded By Rainbows" is the hypocrisy of people killing one another in the name of God. The specific topic of the song is the IRA. The song examines the hypocrisy of a man who reverently kneels and prays before the image of his God being the same man who callously blows up a little boy's father with a bomb. The final verse notes that when these same people meet their end, they believe they will face God and be Saved ("see the face of Christ, enter Paradise"). Since the idea of God rewarding such immorality is ridiculous...Jagger's stinging "I doubt it" is the perfect tagline to the reverence with which he conveys his subjects' fanatical, misguided devotion.
I don't see the song as anti-religious, simply anti-religious fanaticism.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 31, 2005 15:19

I thought the point of "Blinded By Rainbows" is the hypocrisy of people killing one another in the name of God. The specific topic of the song is the IRA. The song examines the hypocrisy of a man who reverently kneels and prays before the image of his God being the same man who callously blows up a little boy's father with a bomb. The final verse notes that when these same people meet their end, they believe they will face God and be Saved ("see the face of Christ, enter Paradise"). Since the idea of God rewarding such immorality is ridiculous...Jagger's stinging "I doubt it" is the perfect tagline to the reverence with which he conveys his subjects' fanatical, misguided devotion.
I don't see the song as anti-religious, simply anti-religious fanaticism.

Date: January 31, 2005 16:16

He had a Hindu-ish wedding once, remember? (not his idea, though)

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 31, 2005 16:34

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He had a Hindu-ish wedding once, remember? (not
> his idea, though)

I thought it was Jaggers idea. By Hindu-law this was a real wedding, by English law it was not. So when he and Hall splited up. he didn't have to pay here any money. That sounds to me as a Jagger idea!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home